Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

raditts posted:

The second Hitman movie actually isn't too far off from what you describe, at least for the first act. Then the second act is kind of like The Professional but not as good. The movie kind of shits the bed in the third act but to its credit they did capture 47's "character" pretty well. I thought it was a lot better than the first but low of a bar as that is, I seem to be the only one who thinks so.

The first trailer depicts 47 as some kind of unstoppable force, something out of a horror movie. It pretty much keeps the narrative from the first act. It is good (even tho it lacks the stealthy approach that defies the character/games).
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=alQlJDRnQkE

The second trailer spills the beans and tells you that 47 is not the bad guy. It is terrible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pv7lgQ8hiz0

They had the right idea to start things of, but I guess they thought "47 is not the bad guy" couldn't be a third act twist or they were simply not capable of building a movie around that. Such a shame.

Mierenneuker fucked around with this message at 11:37 on Mar 18, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Basically, that one scene from Mechanic: Resurrection is the closest thing you'll ever have to a great adaptation of the Hitman games.

(note: lovely upload designed to not get taken down by YouTube's automatic copyright detection)
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-hjBCy5kOaY

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

TetsuoTW posted:

Hahaha Unforgiven? More like No Fucks Given

Imo the Matt Damon yearbook photos are the worst.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

SomeJazzyRat posted:

What if we take Johnny Mnemonic and just make it about cyber criminals from a cyberpunk future jacking into a Matrix.

Turns out their cyberpunk reality is a Matrix in and of itself, and their escapades are a ruse to distract them from that fact.

Matrixception

*BWAAAHHHHH*

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

SomeJazzyRat posted:

What if we take Johnny Mnemonic and just make it about cyber criminals from a cyberpunk future jacking into a Matrix.

Turns out their cyberpunk reality is a Matrix in and of itself, and their escapades are a ruse to distract them from that fact.

My philosophy professor in college was convinced that the ending of Reloaded meant the "real world" was just a Matrix in a Matrix.

I've never seen someone so heartbroken as that guy when he walked into class the Monday morning after Revolutions premiered.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The wachowskis are batshit enough for it to not be this way but isnt it pretty well implied by what neo pulls off in the "real" word that It's very likely a simulation too

A better solution to the architect's problem isn't choice but nested realities. People reject the matrix? Wake them up in a new world. Do it enough times they eventually accept it. Like the false awakening of a dream makes your mind more readily accept What's happening

Riot Bimbo fucked around with this message at 16:28 on Mar 18, 2017

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Yeah it was intentionally done to make you question that and was a very common explanation among moviegoers of the time. I can understand someone being a little disappointed in Revolutions basically being a two hour shootout in a cave, all the Neo stuff in it and the humans and machines coming to terms with each other was cool.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
It was intentionally done and a completely incompetent move by the writers because it ignored what we had as the established rules of the setting.

Since the Nebuchadnezzar crew are schlubs in the real world, and powerful in The Matrix because they perceive it as a simulacrum, it's only rational to think that Neo's manifested power points to something off in the real world. Double that when Smith is able to mindjack someone.

Then the explanation is some faff about The One's Power Extends Beyond the Matrix.

Like gently caress, even the dumb "Neo's bodyports are like WiFi!" theories had more weight to them.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

It doesn't break the rules if Zion sits inside of a simulation too.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

i thought it was just because he was future jesus.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

I would hate it 100% more if i am actually supposed to take his super-power scenes in the 'real' world as some kind of ungrounded metaphor when these movies were extremely literal and used characters and props to convey every other intended piece of subtext. That would piss me off real bad, like THIS long after the movie came out that's hosed up. i refuse to even consider it.

sub supau
Aug 28, 2007

The real solution is that the last two Matrix movies are bad movies.

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

i really enjoy the architect scene if only because there are so few movies that would even endeavor to pack that many $10 words into a monologue but yeah its mostly bad

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

basic hitler posted:

I would hate it 100% more if i am actually supposed to take his super-power scenes in the 'real' world as some kind of ungrounded metaphor when these movies were extremely literal and used characters and props to convey every other intended piece of subtext. That would piss me off real bad, like THIS long after the movie came out that's hosed up. i refuse to even consider it.

I'm afraid it is the case, though. This is why they are Very Bad Films. There is no mechanism for Neo to do what he did, so there's no satisfying explanation behind his real-world powers. The Wachowskis were far more interested in the metaphor.

I think people forgive way too much in those films because they're clearly very dense with interesting ideas and are well-crafted technically and visually, but the stories are so convoluted and nonsensical and the way they're told isn't compelling. Doesn't matter how much philosophy you stuff into them. Hell, even the action sequences are boring, because there are no stakes. Neo is invincible, Morpheus can suddenly fight agents, and we have no clear reference point for how powerful any of these new programs or agent upgrades are. They also go on far too long and are incredibly self-indulgent - both the action sequences and the films themselves.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:18 on Mar 18, 2017

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

TetsuoTW posted:

The real solution is that the last two Matrix movies are bad movies.

My belief has always been that the Wachowskis fell rear end-backwards into the love that The Matrix received -- the special effects were great, and Hugo Weaving was chewing scenery left and right, but despite the movie being a live-action anime, people latched onto a "deeper meaning," and the Wachowskis didn't know how to follow up on it, so they just went, "Fine, we'll have a bunch of characters deliver a bunch of bullshit dialogue and then let everyone else deal with it."

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Nah. When you go and look at all of the sources they were inspired by, all that "deeper meaning" stuff is there. The Invisibles is chock full of it, for example. When they made the first film they just made the lean, action-movie version of what their vision was because that was the most audience friendly version of the story - hence them changing things like humans being a neural network to being batteries. When they were given a blank check for the sequels they just indulged in all of that vague philosophical nonsense that was there from the very beginning.

e: The Invisibles similarly goes off the rails eventually. And the Ghost in the Shell sequels follow in both of their footsteps.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 20:23 on Mar 18, 2017

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

The wachowskis are very philosophical ladies, and i've seen them go on really dumb philosophical tangents in interviews that makes me think they're just well-read and lucky idiots, but The Matrix and Speed Racer are good movies regardless.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I loved Reloaded and was so hype to see Revolutions in the theater, and have never been let down so hard. "What if instead of exploring literally any possible weird theory that we've brought up, we just shoot everything"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

The Disney live action Mulan movie won't be a musical. Boo!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

muscles like this! posted:

The Disney live action Mulan movie won't be a musical. Boo!

But who will make a man out of me now?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Timby posted:

My philosophy professor in college was convinced that the ending of Reloaded meant the "real world" was just a Matrix in a Matrix.

I've never seen someone so heartbroken as that guy when he walked into class the Monday morning after Revolutions premiered.

In another, quite real sense, it absolutely is, though. The whole system of being 'freed' into Zion is just another form of control. It's the illusion of free choice and liberation. While it's not literally a computer simulation, it's also completely artificial. I'm disappointed in your philosophy professor

FilthyImp posted:

It was intentionally done and a completely incompetent move by the writers because it ignored what we had as the established rules of the setting.

Since the Nebuchadnezzar crew are schlubs in the real world, and powerful in The Matrix because they perceive it as a simulacrum, it's only rational to think that Neo's manifested power points to something off in the real world. Double that when Smith is able to mindjack someone.

Then the explanation is some faff about The One's Power Extends Beyond the Matrix.

Like gently caress, even the dumb "Neo's bodyports are like WiFi!" theories had more weight to them.

I feel like I'm missing something. Isn't that just a poetic way of saying Neo is like Wifi?

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 05:29 on Mar 19, 2017

Alehkhs
Oct 6, 2010

The Sorrow of Poets

Barudak posted:

But who will make a man out of me now?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=02qJlyETcYQ

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

Timby posted:

My belief has always been that the Wachowskis fell rear end-backwards into the love that The Matrix received -- the special effects were great, and Hugo Weaving was chewing scenery left and right, but despite the movie being a live-action anime, people latched onto a "deeper meaning," and the Wachowskis didn't know how to follow up on it, so they just went, "Fine, we'll have a bunch of characters deliver a bunch of bullshit dialogue and then let everyone else deal with it."

I do remember them saying they had some ideas for *one* sequel to conclude the story before it got so huge it became a trilogy, maybe that would have turned out better than two sequels.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Neo Rasa posted:

I do remember them saying they had some ideas for *one* sequel to conclude the story before it got so huge it became a trilogy, maybe that would have turned out better than two sequels.

They could have told the exact same story, but structured in such a way that focused more on the noir/detective aspects of the first one than the philosophical components. With a more grounded style of dialogue and more emphasis on action and progression than talking, it would have been a much better film.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Neo Rasa posted:

TBH they were in track to screwing the pooch from the ending sequence to the original. Movie should have ended with Neo's 'they may not be ready, but we'll show them' speech, with the screen doing it's freakout signal lost then turning off. Adding the badass RAtM walk away and subsequent Superman kind of loses what made Neo cool in the story.

Plus from there you have Literal Machine God in a dinky MMO so you paint yourself the gently caress into a corner.

Snowman_McK posted:

I feel like I'm missing something. Isn't that just a poetic way of saying Neo is like Wifi?
Clumsy, you mean.
I suppose the problem I have is that the ~intention~ completely mishandles the world we've been presented that it just ends up doing a disservice to the story, with an explanation that is literally summed up as We Wrote Something Cool to End With But Don't Think of the How too Much.

Reloaded basically tells us Neo isn't Machine Jesus as much as he's a Debugger Script. He then violates the laws of the universe and we're told that just happens sometimes because he's The One. When you consider this in light of how much information is given to establish the setting in the original, it just feels like lazy writing.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost
I kept thinking referring to the Wachowskis as 'sisters' was an immature dig at only one of them being trans, not realizing that the other one has come out as trans too. :doh:

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

not to mention how bad the burly brawl looks (and how it's one of those action scenes just for the sake of having an action scene) despite having sick music.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Groovelord Neato posted:

not to mention how bad the burly brawl looks (and how it's one of those action scenes just for the sake of having an action scene) despite having sick music.

The story I always hear is that the Wachowskis were pissed that even lovely comedies learned how to do bullet time, so they wanted to do a bunch of stuff that would be technically impossible for other movies to replicate without at least similar budgets.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

dont even fink about it posted:

The story I always hear is that the Wachowskis were pissed that even lovely comedies learned how to do bullet time, so they wanted to do a bunch of stuff that would be technically impossible for other movies to replicate without at least similar budgets.

Priorities.

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

davidspackage posted:

I kept thinking referring to the Wachowskis as 'sisters' was an immature dig at only one of them being trans, not realizing that the other one has come out as trans too. :doh:

I just keep on with "the Wachowskis" since there's not exactly many other notables with that surname, you know?

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

Thats fun cause Power Rangers homaged that all the time after Matrix 2 came out

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

oh yeah i heard the same thing but man there are some bad shots/scenes in the sequel (there's a really terrible overhead shot of the semi trailer for instance). i feel like the burly brawl could've been done without the real bad cgi and also been incorporated better in the plot.

lmao remember when everyone thought the ghosts were coming back despite the fact they blew up??

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eDc5jnrBD1A&t=43s

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Groovelord Neato posted:

lmao remember when everyone thought the ghosts were coming back despite the fact they blew up??

Blew up while being ghosts.

That's sort of Reloaded's problems in a nutshell. They look fuckin' rad, they're cool as, they seem to have cool powers that are vaguely established, then they disappear. Reloaded is a bunch of cool ideas that never quite pay off.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 15:05 on Mar 19, 2017

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Snowman_McK posted:

Blew up while being ghosts.

That's sort of Reloaded's problems in a nutshell. They look fuckin' rad, they're cool as, they seem to have cool powers that are vaguely established, then they disappear. Reloaded is a bunch of cool ideas that never quite pay off.

Yeah, Reloaded has some cool ideas and scene and some awful ideas and scenes. But the worst thing about it is that Revolutions completely drops or bungles anything interesting from it, retroactively making it lamer.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007

I like when Morpheus gives that rousing speech about how they have to hurry up and hold Burning Man before the machines arrive.

Reloaded really does have so many cool ideas that they talked waaaaaay too long about and didn't actually do anything with. I think whoever did the marketing realized that too because if you look at trailers for the movie, they show a movie that tries to merge the metaphysical destiny The One stuff with like a mystery noir kind of thing. Prior to release almost all of the trailer stuff is from how they have to find the keymaker and break into that building and stuff like it's a heist movie.

A few of the effects are edited differently too which I thought was interesting. One that straight up looks better in the trailer is during the big car chase, there's a part where an agent like jumps off an overpass or something and lands on a car, bouncing off it to make its way closer to the heroes. It looks REALLY bad in the movie the same way the burly brawl scenes does, and is particularly cartoony because it happens so fast. But in the trailer when the agent lands on the car it goes into bullet time and you see a way more detailed depiction of the car's hood collapsing and the windshield breaking and stuff.

Reloaded was never going to live up to the hype for it but they really set up a more dangerous feeling and faster paced alternate version of it in those trailers.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Somewhat recently, I rewatched the Architect's speech at the end of Matrix Reloaded and... I think I understood it? The logic isn't the issue, it's just getting through the nonstandard language. It's not that the words are super esoteric, but you have to work hard to process everything.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
e: ^^^^ Yeah, his speech is actually pretty coherent, was that in question? I never thought it was.

Somewhere there's a universe where the third Matrix movie was all about the Merovingian and other remnants of the previous cycles joining up with or fighting Neo and oh wait never mind that's American Gods.

Neo Rasa posted:

One that straight up looks better in the trailer is during the big car chase, there's a part where an agent like jumps off an overpass or something and lands on a car, bouncing off it to make its way closer to the heroes. It looks REALLY bad in the movie the same way the burly brawl scenes does, and is particularly cartoony because it happens so fast. But in the trailer when the agent lands on the car it goes into bullet time and you see a way more detailed depiction of the car's hood collapsing and the windshield breaking and stuff.

But that's exactly how it does happen in the movie? Unless someone changed the Matrix again.

precision fucked around with this message at 19:03 on Mar 19, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

I thought the whole dance party thing in Reloaded was the dumbest poo poo ever when I saw it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

precision posted:

Somewhere there's a universe where the third Matrix movie was all about the Merovingian and other remnants of the previous cycles joining up with or fighting Neo and oh wait never mind that's American Gods.

I think there's a video game with Jada Plinkett Smith and her crew as the protagonists where they fight the Merovingian between Reloaded and Revolution. That would be e neat idea if it weren't for the information you'd get there that has an actual impact on the movies. Nothing really vital but when the Merovingian goes "Hey man, long time no see" to Seraph in Revolution it's because of that game. I think it's also explained there why the actress for the Oracle changed. Those kinds of scenes in the movies can be distracting as hell. You think you are paying attention and suddenly something pops up that you absolutely cannot know unless you played a game.

• Locked thread