Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

Gyro aim is really good, having played the Wii U version on a pro controller and the Switch version with joycons.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

RVWinkle posted:

He makes an interesting point about the characterization. Link has always been the silent protagonist type with is pretty terrible overall for characterization but the expectation in this type of story is that all of the side characters will pick up the slack. I haven't seen all of the memories yet and I haven't fought the desert divine beast but I think I agree so far in terms of character development. -Mild story spoilers- Like, we learn that bird people are arrogant dicks but the only development is a halfhearted remark that link is pretty cool too. They set up a thing with that young Goron being kinda wimpy but then they kinda gloss over his character development into being brave. Sidon is pretty flat and they could have made him realize that he has the same feelings for Link that Mipha had.

Overall, I think the characterization is present but there isn't much character development. After doing the Rito divine beast, I realized that they could have done much more with the build up to the encounter by making a longer quest line. This would have been an ideal place to include the missing character development.

Yeah a lot of the characters are pretty undeveloped. They get voice introductions and all but you don't end up spending much time with them. On the other hand, Zelda is especially three-dimensional this time around and Link's stoic hero type compliments her effectively

Augus fucked around with this message at 17:32 on Mar 18, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

ColdPie posted:

I'm totally going to rub it in when the new Mario retains waggle to spin jump.

Considering it's guaranteed that first party games are developed with the Switch as a handheld portable first and foremost, I don't think they'd make it so you had to shake the whole thing in order to spin jump.
Besides I don't recall the Mario Odyssey trailer showing spinjumping
It was easy with the Wii because you could just shake the wiimote quickly but shaking a tablet or procontroller is more ungainly

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Yeah, I doubt they'd make any first-party Switch games unplayable in handheld mode. Even though you can remove the joycons and prop up the Switch, that's still not fully handheld-compatible. I could be wrong, though.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

I've been told there is a shrine in hyrule castle, did it mean actually INSIDE hyrule castle, or in the courtyard area outside. because I found one on the outskirts of the courtyard area

Gaspy Conana
Aug 1, 2004

this clown loves you

Runcible Cat posted:

This one's shrine's so hard to find (Maka Rah, by that lake in Hebra) I'm convinced the other monks looked at the plans, rolled their eyes, said oh well everyone's got to do one and we don't have time to redesign, just stick this shitweasel spike fetishist somewhere no-one'll ever find him.

I actually stumbled upon that randomly after doing the Rito archery test thing and deciding to see what was in the area. :angel:

Music Theory
Aug 7, 2013

mabels big day posted:

I've been told there is a shrine in hyrule castle, did it mean actually INSIDE hyrule castle, or in the courtyard area outside. because I found one on the outskirts of the courtyard area

There's one inside it.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
RE: Dragon Farming - For Farosh, go to Lake Tower and glide down to the little tower at the end of the Bridge of Hylia or whatever it's called. Camp until morning. Farosh will spawn from the Lake the instant you wake up, and it only takes him a few seconds to fly around to you and eventually right by you. Super efficient and easy.

For Dinraal, he spawns from the sky near the Eldin Great Skeleton every night, but if you're too close to his spawn point, he won't show up. He's shy I guess. I made my camp on a rock spire a decent ways west of the skeleton in the Deplian Badlands. If you camp until night and don't see him spawning after about a minute, move further west. He flies the entire badlands, so again, he should pass right by you with minimal waiting.

Naydra is at the Lanaryu Promenade like the previous poster said. They've got it more or less dead-on there.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Just started this last night, and only played for a bit but I don't think I get the magnet. I know I'm supposed to select it on the D-pad and it looks like it's used for those things on the walls but I ran around for 15 minutes and couldn't get it to do anything. What am I missing here?

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

Press the L1 button.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

gawrsh do you think any women will be there

Will the Master Sword just magic itself back into my inventory after 10 minutes or do I need to go back to the Deku Tree to get it again?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

Will the Master Sword just magic itself back into my inventory after 10 minutes or do I need to go back to the Deku Tree to get it again?

It's a cooldown like the powers, no further action required

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

The former it appears.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

It stays in your inventory and it'll even tell you how much longer it needs to recharge. I haven't been paying attention to exactly how long, but it seems to recharge surprisingly fast.

d0grent
Dec 5, 2004

how does daruks protection recharge? Do you have to use all 3 charges before it goes on cooldown?

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

d0grent posted:

how does daruks protection recharge? Do you have to use all 3 charges before it goes on cooldown?

Yes, same with the other champion abilities and with the Master Sword, the cooldown doesn't start until you reach zero. It's kinda dumb.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Just started this last night, and only played for a bit but I don't think I get the magnet. I know I'm supposed to select it on the D-pad and it looks like it's used for those things on the walls but I ran around for 15 minutes and couldn't get it to do anything. What am I missing here?

When you press up on the d-pad you're selecting what rune you activate with the L button. Press that to actually use whatever you selected.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Your Computer posted:

It stays in your inventory and it'll even tell you how much longer it needs to recharge. I haven't been paying attention to exactly how long, but it seems to recharge surprisingly fast.

10 minutes

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
The motion controls in this game are great. How could you complain about them? You aren't forced to do anything in the main game with motion controls. Motion controls only supplement the joysticks. The use of motion controls in the shrines is cool and good.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Cojawfee posted:

The motion controls in this game are great. How could you complain about them? You aren't forced to do anything in the main game with motion controls. Motion controls only supplement the joysticks. The use of motion controls in the shrines is cool and good.

Yeah the few motion control puzzles there are are not bad at all.

akadajet
Sep 14, 2003

youtube you suck

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

akadajet posted:

youtube you suck

i watched 3 "killing lynels with no damage" videos and that popped up on my "recommended" list, so I guess it's time to start adblocking the recommended ones

Norns
Nov 21, 2011

Senior Shitposting Strategist

I have no idea what a "cummie" is and I'm glad for it

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

MonsterEnvy posted:

There are some "rotate the blocks to slide smaller blocks" puzzles, some "spin around the torches while avoiding water" puzzles, a "ball maze" puzzle, and literal mini golf. The ball maze was the only one where I sat there for fifteen minutes fighting with the motion controls to solve it the intended way before saying gently caress it and flailing wildly until it bounced right.

D O R K Y
Sep 1, 2001

gently caress this stupid camel!

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

I found the dragon skeleton in Hebra region, where the hell is its skull? I need a picture for a quest

TheOneAndOnlyT
Dec 18, 2005

Well well, mister fancy-pants, I hope you're wearing your matching sweater today, or you'll be cut down like the ugly tree you are.

Nephzinho posted:

There are some "rotate the blocks to slide smaller blocks" puzzles, some "spin around the torches while avoiding water" puzzles, a "ball maze" puzzle, and literal mini golf. The ball maze was the only one where I sat there for fifteen minutes fighting with the motion controls to solve it the intended way before saying gently caress it and flailing wildly until it bounced right.
I wasn't a huge fan of the ball maze puzzle but I kinda wish there was more than one minigolf shrine, that was pretty fun :3:

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

I solved one of the early motion control puzzles without using motion controls. It was one where you had to use a motion-controlled hammer to hit a metal ball into a stone ball, to make it go up a ramp, knock over a block, and then hit a big stone door. I just used stasis on the stone block, then used magnesis on the metal block and slammed it into the frozen blocks a couple times to build up enough momentum that it go launched into the door

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

akadajet posted:

youtube you suck

Yeah who the hell would pick Mipha over Sidon

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think the shrines that make you play golf with motion controls are insanely terrible. Fortunately I've only seen that like, twice.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

Nephzinho posted:

Torch blocks are all skippable with fire arrows, and the minigolf can probably be done with stasis if you can get over to them (I know some people did the ball maze with stasis), not sure about the other ones though.

I actually kind of want to go back through and see if all motion-control aspects can be 100% skipped with cleverly applied other mechanics. The only one that strikes me as potentially literally impossible is the one locked door where the key is in a chest that spawns upside-down and you have to rotate a block around to get, but I wonder.

TheOneAndOnlyT posted:

I wasn't a huge fan of the ball maze puzzle but I kinda wish there was more than one minigolf shrine, that was pretty fun :3:

Honestly the "worst" part of the ball maze for me was getting the right twitch at the end to launch it, but I've also had some literally infuriating times with other motion-controlled puzzles. That said, a lot of frustration seems to be with how they "expect" you to hold the controller when you start the puzzle vs. where you're actually holding it. For example, for any one of the "rotate the block to light the torch" puzzles, if you hold the controller straight and flat in front of you when you start the puzzle, the block will rotate 1:1 with the controller as expected. If you hold the controller upright, the game still thinks that you're holding it in front of you and all the rotations are offset by 90 degrees, which isn't immediately apparent if you pitch, but if you yaw or rotate then the block just starts moving in directions that don't make any sense.

Additionally with the above, if you didn't explicitly go into your console settings and run through the "motion control calibration" stuff, you probably get to deal with things like your maze or block randomly drifting in directions even when you're holding the controller steady, which just adds delightfully to the "gently caress this poo poo" feeling.

Ursine Catastrophe fucked around with this message at 20:47 on Mar 18, 2017

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

where do you go to see how many hours of my life i've sunk into this game

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Lets Pickle posted:

I found the dragon skeleton in Hebra region, where the hell is its skull? I need a picture for a quest

The Leviathans are not dragons. You've found the wrong skeleton.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
I appreciate the thread title change.

Dizz
Feb 14, 2010

L :dva: L

Internet Kraken posted:

Yeah who the hell would pick Mipha over Sidon

Anyone worth a drat.

Also RE: Dragon farming - Farosh

Sometimes it won't appear at lake Hylia. it will appear at Riola Spring in the Faron region. Just place a campfire a distance away from that top lake area and it will immediately spawn in the morning. You could ALSO camp down at the waterfall since it Rises up and then dives downwards for easy shots at it.

dorkasaurus_rex
Jun 10, 2005

oh also can you change the spoken language in cutscenes somehow?? the Japanese voice acting sounds a lot better IMHO

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

oh also can you change the spoken language in cutscenes somehow?? the Japanese voice acting sounds a lot better IMHO

You can but only with a hacked Wii U and a little bit of moving files around.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

nope. eat your vegetables

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

dorkasaurus_rex posted:

where do you go to see how many hours of my life i've sunk into this game

After 10 days of playing you'll get a rough estimate on your profile on the Switch, the Wii U I guess you just use the activity tracker or whatever.

Oneiros
Jan 12, 2007

I'm pretty sure that your save files are stamped with the time played? At least they are on the WiiU.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Oneiros posted:

I'm pretty sure that your save files are stamped with the time played? At least they are on the WiiU.

They're stamped with the time of the day when the save was made, at least on the Switch.