Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
:lol: those spoilers my goodness. I'm surprised they acknowledged the movie's roots at all.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

HIJK posted:

:lol: those spoilers my goodness. I'm surprised they acknowledged the movie's roots at all.

They could of called it Lady Robo Cop.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Mar 19, 2017

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
Are you ok? That post was way too short for you. :ohdear:

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

This movie is going to be loving retarded.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Should be some pretty good memes once it's out on DVD, tho.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

I'm curious how the gently caress they're going to magic away the reason she's called Major. In the anime it's because she actually was a Major. In this it's because........?

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Is there a reason beyond the obvious why they're not doing junkets for the movie?

DeusExMachinima
Sep 2, 2012

:siren:This poster loves police brutality, but only when its against minorities!:siren:

Put this loser on ignore immediately!
I think the obvious reason is reason enough. If none of us were complete losers, would we willingly expose ourselves to part of the primordial subculture that gave rise to goons?

WMain00 posted:

I'm curious how the gently caress they're going to magic away the reason she's called Major. In the anime it's because she actually was a Major. In this it's because........?

Part of her new identity I assume.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
Late night shows aren't exactly the wokest bunch, so the YouTube interviews are one thing, but it seems like they're just going to keep promoting it from a distance with weird social-media marketing and a bunch of billboards.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Is there a Blu ray set for the stand alone TV show? All I can find is what looks like a movie based on the show?

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

Is there a Blu ray set for the stand alone TV show? All I can find is what looks like a movie based on the show?
There is from what I can tell (also here and here), but it's one of those things where it's next to impossible to get it, far as I can see.

It also appears to be a pretty disastrous transfer.

I ordered the DVD version a while back, and I must've done it for the same reasons.

ufarn fucked around with this message at 22:27 on Mar 19, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

The recent release is bad bad bad. If you can get the Korean release from a few years ago it's much better.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kingtheninja posted:

There might be an over priced dvd set on amazon.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I'm thinking about diving in to some of this stuff, there's the two movies, SAC, and something called arise?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Kingtheninja posted:

I'm thinking about diving in to some of this stuff, there's the two movies, SAC, and something called arise?

Arise is an origin story of Section 9. It does not occur in the same universe as any of the other media. In addition to the four episodes there is a movie. The four episodes were recut for TV in a series called Alternative Architecture that also added a fifth episode called Pyrophoric Cult, which bridges the series into the movie. Pyrophoric Cult has so far not been officially released in the US.

Edit: this image outlined it pretty well:

Midjack fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Mar 19, 2017

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Kingtheninja posted:

The original movie (not the 2.0 crap) plus the two seasons of SAC are what I recommend. All of them are fantastic, but season 2 of SAC is only so-so as it progresses.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

ufarn posted:

The original movie (not the 2.0 crap) plus the two seasons of SAC are what I recommend. All of them are fantastic, but season 2 of SAC is only so-so as it progresses.

I felt that SAC's season one main plot gets worse, but it takes time for it to go bad (I want to say that it goes off the rails when Umibozu raids Section 9 which is when it jumps the shark, which is late, late in the series). Season two's main plot starts off bad (with it's take on the assassination at the beginning of the movie and manga being a groaner) but picks up steam and gets interesting when the Individual Eleven get together and chop off their own heads.

Mean Bean Machine
May 9, 2008

Only when I breathe.

Young Freud posted:

So, the Art of GITS artbook came out and it has some very spoilerific images worthy of discussion and/or anger...

gently caress this gay Earth

She looks hotter now. Already bought my ticket.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Young Freud posted:

I felt that SAC's season one main plot gets worse, but it takes time for it to go bad (I want to say that it goes off the rails when Umibozu raids Section 9 which is when it jumps the shark, which is late, late in the series). Season two's main plot starts off bad (with it's take on the assassination at the beginning of the movie and manga being a groaner) but picks up steam and gets interesting when the Individual Eleven get together and chop off their own heads.
I don't recall the plot arcs being super interesting; I really love the start of S01 when it's basically an anthology of philosophical episodes.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
One thing SAC does really well is the transition between the monster of the week episodes and the actual plot. That's usually clunky as hell, but SAC gets it almost organic feeling.You just sort of switch at some point, without really noticing.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Kingtheninja posted:

Just watch anything really, but the tv series was the best stuff made about the about it, in my opinion. First and the second season, the second season really opens up with some of the other team characters. Watch Arise if you really like the series.

One of my favorite ones is where Saito tells a story about how he met the major, I think its also the episode he talks the most. Some of the best episodes don't even have the major in them. The second season has a better build up at the end because all that happens in the first season is that a crazy intelligent person finds out something bad and crazy being done but does not want to fight and just finds the major and tells her everything. Even the side characters get action at the end of the second season even if all it is just punching some guy trying to carjack them which is related to the plot.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 02:08 on Mar 20, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

One thing SAC does really well is the transition between the monster of the week episodes and the actual plot. That's usually clunky as hell, but SAC gets it almost organic feeling.You just sort of switch at some point, without really noticing.

They tell you at the title screen of each episode if it's a "stand alone" or "complex" episode.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

You're either a Oshii GitS fan or an SAC GitS fan. Personally, I'm an Oshii fan. GitS95 and Innocence are treasures.

SAC is poo!

Frogfingers
Oct 10, 2012

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

I guess you haven't noticed, but the thread consensus is actually that this film is replete with confrontational, racially charged imagery and 'dangerous messages' - whereas the original is backhandedly praised as a pretty-but-meaningless Nipponese tits movie, wherein our authentically Asian ninjess protagonist harms the baddie.

How can you of all people call the original meaningless? It's about Oshii's identity crisis choosing between art and the seminary. Giving up a piece of your personal identity in an organisation larger than yourself that asks for a Spartan lifestyle vs inspiration derived from overindulging looking at tits on the internet. It's about Oshii wanting it both ways and getting enlightenment with tits. What happened to you man? You know there's subtext between the boobies.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Frogfingers posted:

How can you of all people call the original meaningless?

He's not. He's saying that's the conclusion the thread as a whole has made.

MoaM
Dec 1, 2009

Joyous.
Even before seeing that art book stuff I never thought Rupert Sanders could oversee or 'envision' a police procedural plot worth a goddamn...

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Midjack posted:

They tell you at the title screen of each episode if it's a "stand alone" or "complex" episode.

I watched all 50 episodes and never noticed this, which says something worrying about me.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Snowman_McK posted:

I watched all 50 episodes and never noticed this, which says something worrying about me.

To be fair, if you're watching one episode at a time you might overlook it. It's easier to notice if you watch a few in a row and it switches a few times.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The cards are also different colors. I think they used blue and green in S1 and red and blue in S2. Also, they tend to distribute them somewhat weirdly, S1 has like 3 complex episodes for the first 20 episodes and then the last 4 are all complex.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

WMain00 posted:

It's because she's a Major. It means exactly the same thing that it means in the '95 film: Section 9/Hanka are the bad guys.

The really funny thing about singling out Sanders' alleged character-progression note-card for ridicule is that all it does is demonstrate in a rudimentary sense that Sanders was always intent on making a film organized around themes of identity and technological singularity, following a leader of a counter-terrorist task force. Again, it's the same story as the '95 film, but now it's spelled out on what is really just a tool of the writer to eliminate needless exposition and focus on the visual, cinematic narrative. The sheer act of filmmaking, which bares no relationship to the spectator actually watching any GitS, is treated as disgusting and infantile.

But it turns out that it's a body horror, cyberpunk movie. The character in the original manga, Major/Motoko Kusanagi, is destroyed by the technological singularity, and what's born from it is the monstrous Scarlett Johansson.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.

Kingtheninja posted:

I went looking for it a few months back and it must have only had a limited print or something ridiculous because the only copies on Amazon had insane prices attached to them.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

K. Waste posted:

The really funny thing about singling out Sanders' alleged character-progression note-card for ridicule is that all it does is demonstrate in a rudimentary sense that Sanders was always intent on making a film organized around themes of identity and technological singularity

Well I dont think anyone is disputing that the movie is based around identity. I think people are just making fun of the fact it looks like it was made by a 10 year old. Not like, a proffesional film-maker.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

cosmically_cosmic posted:

Well I dont think anyone is disputing that the movie is based around identity. I think people are just making fun of the fact it looks like it was made by a 10 year old. Not like, a proffesional film-maker.

Right: It's a projection and a joke in bad faith. Elementary-level children, when committed to the project of writing, generally don't make neatly written notecards mapping out the hero's journey of their protagonist in three-act structure. Those are just generic, good techniques of writing and organization of which most professional filmmakers employ some variation, and which need to be first taught and then practiced.

It goes back to the problem of memes, and folks cavalierly joking that Paramount could have avoided controversy by setting the film in the U.S. Rather than clarifying the political content of GitS'17 as it emerges, the reductive emphasis is always on ridicule, even though, overtly, there is nothing remarkable about the development and production of GitS'17 in and of itself.

cosmically_cosmic
Dec 26, 2015

K. Waste posted:

Right: It's a projection and a joke in bad faith. Elementary-level children, when committed to the project of writing, generally don't make neatly written notecards mapping out the hero's journey of their protagonist in three-act structure. Those are just generic, good techniques of writing and organization of which most professional filmmakers employ some variation, and which need to be first taught and then practiced.

This is the card we're talking about right?

I think its bad faith to say that this is pro-film-making in action. Aside from being 'neatly written' (which I guess kids can't do) its nothing but embarassing.

I mean I'll type out this 'mapping out of the hero's journey'.

quote:

Lost: Who/What am I?
Search: Villain + Her own 'ID'
Realization: I am white Motoko
Action: I will fix this
Acceptance: I am who I am.

It would be lame to make fun of if it was just a scrap of paper from the first day he decided to write the drat thing, but it's published. They decided that this would fill everyone with good expectations of a well written and thought out film.

Maybe you're talking about something else and I'm confused, but the only person I'd expect to defend that thing as important film-making technique is the guy who wrote it.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:

cosmically_cosmic posted:

This is the card we're talking about right?

I think its bad faith to say that this is pro-film-making in action. Aside from being 'neatly written' (which I guess kids can't do) its nothing but embarassing.

I mean I'll type out this 'mapping out of the hero's journey'.

It would be lame to make fun of if it was just a scrap of paper from the first day he decided to write the drat thing, but it's published. They decided that this would fill everyone with good expectations of a well written and thought out film.

What is embarrassing about what's written on the director's note card, and what you have transcribed?

You are giving an inaccurate explanation of the context of the image, which appears on the same page as a bunch of concept art and storyboards. This is not a trailer for the film. The book exists for absolutely anybody who for any reason might be interested in the development and production of Ghost in the Shell, regardless of whether or not they would personally like Ghost in the Shell.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
Yeah, those 'making of books' tend to give you a pretty bare bones view of how the thing got made. They'll tell you they wanted a 'natural look' but they don't exactly break down lense and lighting choices, or walk you through what size nails the carpenters use. It would make perfect sense for them to inlcude a napkin sized summary of her arc, seeing as that's pretty much the 'we wanted a natural look' of story structure.

As silly as the film will probably be, this is more a reason that making of book is stupid, not the movie.

ufarn
May 30, 2009
This is the director who had an affair with Kristen Stewart during the filming of The Huntsman.

Let's at least not paint him as some misunderstood genius.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ufarn posted:

This is the director who had an affair with Kristen Stewart during the filming of The Huntsman.

Let's at least not paint him as some misunderstood genius.

What does that have to do with anything? It's relatively tame compared to a lot of other more prominent directors and artists.

ufarn
May 30, 2009

Bugblatter posted:

What does that have to do with anything? It's relatively tame compared to a lot of other more prominent directors and artists.
That his IMDB pedigree is poo poo, and "assume the dude knows what he's doing for whatever reason" is how he got the job in the first place.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

ufarn posted:

That his IMDB pedigree is poo poo, and "assume the dude knows what he's doing for whatever reason" is how he got the job in the first place.

That's what cheating on your wife by having an affair with your lead actress means? Man, I guess I have to reevaluate my opinion of Spielberg now.

Also, fwiw, he directed Snow White, not the Huntsmen spinoff (Which didn't even star Kirsten Stewart).

• Locked thread