Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes, they built a mini-freeway in CA they could shoot all of this on which is crazy.

You can still see the drat thing on Google Maps.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"
The Matrix owns, Reloaded owns and Revolutions also owns. Sure sure they get up their own rear end a whole bunch but good films should. You get poo poo like the Avengers which seems hugely ironic and it's like who cares? But the Matrix sequels cared a whole loving lot

The aesthetic of the sequels, especially in-Matrix, are INCREDIBLE.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

feedmyleg posted:

Did people think the Wachowskis were Daft Punk

Can you prove that they're not? :colbert:

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Rough Lobster posted:

Enter the Matrix has a lesbian kiss between Jada Smith and the big titty italian lady

Man, Big Titty Italian Lady got around. Monica Bellucci is still gorgeous, they should make the new movie be about her being a horndog for first base with every female character in the Matrix.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Unfortunately at age 52 (!!) her beauty has started to fade :(

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Ammanas posted:

The Matrix owns, Reloaded owns and Revolutions also owns. Sure sure they get up their own rear end a whole bunch but good films should. You get poo poo like the Avengers which seems hugely ironic and it's like who cares? But the Matrix sequels cared a whole loving lot

I still like Reloaded a lot, I've never gone back on that, but Revolutions has been worse every time I've watched it. Mostly, again, because it simply has too much dull action with what feels like no stakes. The Battle of Zion was clearly intended to evoke the end of Return of the Jedi or similar but it falls so flat in that ambition, it's just dreadfully boring.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Ammanas posted:

That didn't stop Bond in his latest movie tho

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Ammanas posted:

gently caress off it has, she's aging like a fine wine. She's no longer a sexy courtesan, now she's a countess.

Mierenneuker posted:

Fun fact: She is the first Bond girl older than the Bond actor she's opposite. Only by a couple of years, but still. It's a welcome difference from Roger Moore being nearly if not more than three times the age of some of his costars.

The major problem with the Matrix sequels is that they have all these impressive action set pieces, but not a single one of the big scenes is attached to an actual plot point. The big Burly Brawl is just Smith showing up and going 'Hey, still alive, not sure why' the freeway chase is rescuing a dude who's important for about five seconds, who's almost literally an anthropomorphised plot device, and the chateau fight is covering their retreat to get into that pointless chase. The only exception is the fight for Zion, but even then, most of the main characters aren't even there for most of it, and we're stuck caring about a bunch of minor characters. Meanwhile, the actual plot beats are covered by monologues.

That's not to say how inorganic the fight scenes feel. Each has clear geographical constraints and remains there. Even the freeway chase feels like this.

Snowman_McK fucked around with this message at 09:15 on Mar 20, 2017

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

Ammanas posted:

I heard they were going to give her a bigger role in Matrix 2 but she was chain smoking all the time soooo :(

Still wood

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Snowman_McK posted:

The major problem with the Matrix sequels is that they have all these impressive action set pieces, but not a single one of the big scenes is attached to an actual plot point. The big Burly Brawl is just Smith showing up and going 'Hey, still alive, not sure why' the freeway chase is rescuing a dude who's important for about five seconds, who's almost literally an anthropomorphised plot device, and the chateau fight is covering their retreat to get into that pointless chase. The only exception is the fight for Zion, but even then, most of the main characters aren't even there for most of it, and we're stuck caring about a bunch of minor characters. Meanwhile, the actual plot beats are covered by monologues.

Iirc the kid who saves the day in the battle for Zion is literally just called Kid. Think they could have gone with That Guy, too.

bessantj
Jul 27, 2004

Tars Tarkas posted:

Collateral Beauty - a movie so weird even the spoilers were hard to believe, and it's currently making me mad there isn't a cheap theater anywhere nearby to see this before it hits video
Production Budget: $36 million
Box Office: $23 million (domestic); $43 million (worldwide total)

I'd seen an advert for this but not read anything about it. After reading what is on wiki I can't believe anyone who read the script though this sounded like a good thing to film.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Animatrix is more uneven than bad. World Record alone justifies its existence, and I also like Second Renaissance a lot, but Final Flight of the Osiris is ugly as gently caress and the rest I can kinda take or leave.

World Record reminds me of Neo Tokyo's The Running Man segment.

https://vimeo.com/121083958

IUG
Jul 14, 2007

They used this all the time on Mythbusters. Adam Savage also worked on the second movie. His company made the gates that the Nebercanzer crashes through (I don't care to look up how I'm supposed to spell the name of that ship).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BolRfaCNVWE&t=1476s
He shows up at about 25 minutes in, I linked to the beginning of the segment.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Mierenneuker posted:

I didn't like Spectre much in the first place, but drat was she wasted on that movie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Grendels Dad posted:

Iirc the kid who saves the day in the battle for Zion is literally just called Kid. Think they could have gone with That Guy, too.
Dumb name is dumb, but IIRC that's the character from the Animatrix short that talks to Neo, and gets Agentchased at his school. Kid's Story.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

FilthyImp posted:

Dumb name is dumb, but IIRC that's the character from the Animatrix short that talks to Neo, and gets Agentchased at his school. Kid's Story.

Yeah I know. In fact, it's the only reason I know his name, I don't think anybody in the movie bothers say it.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

My favorite thing about Burly Brawl is that the big fight between Smith and Neo in Revolutions is called Super Burly Brawl. :v:

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

My favorite part is the bowling pin knockdown sound when he throws a smith into a bunch of other smiths

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Fried Watermelon posted:

My favorite part is the bowling pin knockdown sound when he throws a smith into a bunch of other smiths

Or that stupid gurgling sound when Smith slo-mo walks into the scene.

Edit: just watched the Burly Brawl again and one thing I never really notice before but which is bothering me now is how none of the Smiths stay down. No matter how savage the blows Neo dishes out, they all get up again. The place should be littered with broken Smiths, or better yet his broken hosts. That would have been a horrific visual and a much better reason for Neo to retread.

Grendels Dad fucked around with this message at 16:31 on Mar 20, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Snowman_McK posted:

Fun fact: She is the first Bond girl older than the Bond actor she's opposite. Only by a couple of years, but still. It's a welcome difference from Roger Moore being nearly if not more than three times the age of some of his costars.

They advertised this and a lot of naive journalists wrote enthusiastic thinkpieces about it, but then it turned out that she was a one-scene character and the movie actually had a main character Bond girl who's a little girl again

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Ammanas posted:

I forget, didn't they even end up going back and re-coloring the first one so that the in-Matrix scenes matched the look of the sequels more or something?

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

davidspackage posted:

I didn't like Spectre much in the first place, but drat was she wasted on that movie.

There's nothing from that movie that wasn't a waste, what a dreadful entry. Craig has been good as Bond but I don't blame him in the least for walking away after the pointless mess of Spectre

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ammanas posted:

Has it? She still looks gorgeous.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

IUG posted:

They used this all the time on Mythbusters. Adam Savage also worked on the second movie. His company made the gates that the Nebercanzer crashes through (I don't care to look up how I'm supposed to spell the name of that ship).

Nebuchadnezzar. :eng101:
He was the Babylonian king who built the Hanging Gardens, destroyed Solomon's Temple in Jerusalem and rebuilt and fortified Babylon with a triple line of walls and massive gates.
He also a bit obsessed with finding/protecting The Son of God (at least spiritually, he died centuries before Jesus was born) and also spent a heck of a lot of time trying to interpret his crazy rear end dreams.

The nameplate on the ship in the movie reads "Mark III No. 11 made in the USA year 2069" and Mark 3:11 in the Bible says "And unclean spirits when they saw him, fell down before him, and cried saying, Thou art the Son of God" because Neo = Computer Jesus who makes filthy machines fall down go boom.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Neo Rasa posted:

I forget, didn't they even end up going back and re-coloring the first one so that the in-Matrix scenes matched the look of the sequels more or something?

Digital color grading didn't exist when they shot The Matrix. But if you watch the original theatrical or DVD version it's clear that they were differentiating the real world and Matrix with lighting and color choices in-camera. When the sequels were released it was in the early days of digital color grading fever in Hollywood when everybody was overdoing it, and it lasted for nearly the entire decade of the 2000s. It echos the Lucas-ian line of "technology wasn't there at the time the original was made but it was my intention all along". They just took it too far once the technology became available, much like Lucas.

If the Blus had been released just a few years later I think they wouldn't have made the change, as that particular style of grading kinda fell to the wayside once tastes started to get a bit more subtle on that front. O Brother Where Art Thou? just unintentionally tinted the next decade.

The original grading is clearly more preferable and timeless in that regard. In a decade or two the distinct "look" the 2000s is going to be remembered for is cranking the color grading to 11.

e: There are fans that have since gone ahead and de-graded the Blu-Ray back to the original colors, if you care and want to track down :filez:

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 17:40 on Mar 20, 2017

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Dissapointed Owl posted:

World Record reminds me of Neo Tokyo's The Running Man segment.

https://vimeo.com/121083958

Same writer, Yoshiaki Kawajiri. He also did Ninja Scroll.

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Same writer, Yoshiaki Kawajiri.

Now that's an extremely cool piece of trivia, awesome.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Dr. Doolittle is back in Robert Downey Jr. form:

quote:

Robert Downey Jr. will star in The Voyage of Doctor Dolittle, based on the character from the 1920’s series of children’s books by Hugh Lofting. Stephen Gaghan (Syriana, Gold) will direct the film based on a script he wrote, with an earlier draft by Tom Shepherd.

In a competitive situation, Universal won the rights to the hot package after it hit the town and garnered multiple bids from studios last week.

Joe Roth and Jeff Kirschenbaum will produce for their Roth/Kirschenbaum Films alongside Susan Downey for Team Downey.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/robert-downey-jr-star-voyage-doctor-dolittle-986798

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

Same writer, Yoshiaki Kawajiri. He also did Ninja Scroll.

Actually, Kawajiri directed Program, with the samurai woman fighting her turncoat lover. World Record is Takeshi Koike, who brought us Redline. They have similar art styles and Madhouse, Kawajiri's studio, was responsible for both.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
heh the hot package

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway

The books had a bunch of weird poo poo in them, like I remember some stuff about a giant space moth abducting the doctor and taking him to the moon where he grew into a sickly giant. Could be fun if they try to adapt the books instead of trying to do the Eddie Murphy movie again.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

If it does well, they should do a sequel. Doctor Doolittle Goes to the Island of Doctor Moreau.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Detective No. 27 posted:

If it does well, they should do a sequel. Doctor Doolittle Goes to the Island of Doctor Moreau.
You could probably pay Val Kilmer to be in it with a couple of McGriddles.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Detective No. 27 posted:

Doctor Doolittle Versus Animal Farm

sbaldrick
Jul 19, 2006
Driven by Hate

Why is he making this rather then going for the Oscar he should already have at this point.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

sbaldrick posted:

Why is he making this rather then going for the Oscar he should already have at this point.

I'd rather get another RDJ Sherlock Holmes movie, those were really stupid and good

e: RDJ's best film role still might be Less Than Zero, just rewatched that the other night and it holds up fantastically aside from the super cheezy sex scenes

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

speaking of specre what was the original third act that the execs were upset about in the email leaks? i'm a huge bond fan and man was that movie just a loving mess. i don't know how the reveal of who blofeld was got past an initial brainstorming sesh.

the only good part of the movie is that hinx's death is a reference to jaws (the movie). i hope it was intentional.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
The problem with Spectre is epitomised in the explosion of the big bad guy fortress. They do it at the end of a long take, synchronised with a one liner. Craig climbs some stairs, delivers the line, and the whole building explodes in the background. It's kind of impressive, but also, you can barely see the explosion, and the importance of the building was barely established, and the reason it's exploding is similarly unclear. And that's kind of the whole movie. A whole bunch of ideas, some good, some terrible, with enough talent and money thrown at them to give them more legitimacy than they deserve.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Groovelord Neato posted:

speaking of specre what was the original third act that the execs were upset about in the email leaks?

As I understand it they didn't even have a third act and they were writing and rewriting it on the fly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

As well, you can tell from the movie that they didn't really have a third act. As a follow-up to Skyfall it's tremendously disappointing.

• Locked thread