Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zzulu posted:

It would only benefit grognards who want to drive around a map for hours and hours looking for everything.

Agree with this, I like a clear sense where to go, waypoints, map markers etc. Not knowing where to go or what to do in open world games is often what burns me out (or look up a guide). The planet exploration from me1 is not something I miss so glad it's more focused here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Falken posted:

I can't help but feel that the devs played Halo, and were like "These forerunner structures are neat. Lets use them."

The lead writer was from Halo 4.

Random Asshole
Nov 8, 2010

Falken posted:

I can't help but feel that the devs played Halo, and were like "These forerunner structures are neat. Lets use them."

Well to be clear the first project lead developed Halo (4), so...

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
The Halo writer was just trying to make a shared Halo/ME universe, I don't get the problem?!?! :discourse:

Avalerion posted:

Agree with this, I like a clear sense where to go, waypoints, map markers etc. Not knowing where to go or what to do in open world games is often what burns me out (or look up a guide). The planet exploration from me1 is not something I miss so glad it's more focused here.

Anybody wanting the exploration poo poo from ME1's driving around sequences should be rightfully ignored. God, that was the worst. Maybe it's better now with the new Mako, but I highly doubt it. Keeping it highly focused is much more entertaining.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Companion chat, Liam is growing on me, he's a lot cooler than Cora, and any of the humans from the previous ME games. Really its a debate between whether to chase Liam or Vetra, or both? Vetra's really drat cool too.

E: Lexi wants to get with Drack? Wow.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:27 on Mar 21, 2017

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded

Milky Moor posted:

There's a turian called "Sid".

This is fantastic.

Does he wear a flat cap and sit in the pub all day, rolling stinky cigarettes and calling young people "scruffy gets"? Because that's how I picture Sid the turian.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Vitamin P posted:

This is fantastic.

Does he wear a flat cap and sit in the pub all day, rolling stinky cigarettes and calling young people "scruffy gets"? Because that's how I picture Sid the turian.

She.

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Drifter posted:

Anybody wanting the exploration poo poo from ME1's driving around sequences should be rightfully ignored. God, that was the worst. Maybe it's better now with the new Mako, but I highly doubt it. Keeping it highly focused is much more entertaining.
The reason ME1's exploration wasn't great didn't really have anything to do with the Mako, it's that the environments were dull and the rewards were minor to non-existent.

Falken
Jan 26, 2004

Do you feel like a hero yet?
With the (quest spoilers) First Murderer quest... do they not know anything of attempt to harm or attempted murder? For fucks sake, Nexus.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Failed murder means you just get sent back to murder school.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Milky Moor posted:

"it's fun" is literally the lowest level positive you can have about any entertainment product

i don't understand how, when faced with objective truths - bad animations, awkward voice acting, lazy design, a story cribbed from halo 4 - that people just go 'who cares, it's fun'

it's good that the game is fun. but a game can still be of poor quality and fun. hitting your balls with a hammer can be fun, and i know this for a fact as i do it every night

Milky Moor posted:

like people tell me that nier game "is fun" but it's still an anime game about lesbian robots what look like little girls with an achievement for playing the game without pants on the robots

Games are entertainment products foremost, "it's fun" is the highest level positive

Doctor Spaceman
Jul 6, 2010

"Everyone's entitled to their point of view, but that's seriously a weird one."

Falken posted:

With the (quest spoilers) First Murderer quest... do they not know anything of attempt to harm or attempted murder? For fucks sake, Nexus.

Yeah that bugged the poo poo out of me too.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Falken posted:

They do, and you do have the choice to exile him still. The problem is however, they convicted him of straight up murder on shaky evidence. New evidence would invalidate a conviction in real life too, and double jeopardy laws, if they have them, would protect him from being tried for the same crime. Basically, they hosed their own investigation up by not actually gathering key evidence and pushing the murder conviction anyways.

It's meant to make you make a choice, do you exile a man, probably to his death, for a crime he technically did not commit, or do you let him go because while he did commit a crime, the Nexus security forces hosed it all up?

orange juche fucked around with this message at 10:56 on Mar 21, 2017

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
Why do the idiots at bioware make me leave the planet and suffer through 2 pointless sequences if I just want to sell some stuff and do a bit of research before continuing exploration? ffs

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Rinkles posted:

Let's hope you still feel this way half way through the game.

:agreed:

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Fine.

Does she wear a flat cap and sit in the pub all day, rolling stinky cigarettes and calling young people "scruffy gets"? Because that's how I picture Sid the turian.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

Games are entertainment products foremost, "it's fun" is the highest level positive

So bad it's good is a thing. Like companions standing on air in a cutscene might be fun in the sense that you'll laugh first time it happens but we can likely agree that's not exactly the thing they were going for. :D

Xmaspast
Aug 18, 2014

Milky Moor posted:

gonna be good when the next mass effect sequel just strips out the things the series always did badly like characters and choices and stuff in favor of the Amazing Combat the series is known for

lol like there'll be another ME game

Lol do you REALLY think this game isn't going to sell well enough to warrant a sequel? Come the gently caress on.

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

hosed around in character creator for a bit and my lady Ryder basically came out as a dark skinned Lara Croft. Happy enough with it looks way better than the default model.

I applied the Cerberus colour scheme(white/black/gold) and it looks fantastic on what I assume is one of the pre-order armours. Even if the game doesn't explicitly permit it in my head its all about the glory of Humanity now baby.

Popelmon
Jan 24, 2010

wow
so spin
Man I really want to like this game but bullshit like this is incredibly frustrating.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vWAxTQv6mMM

That wasn't the first time too, I died four loving times in that outpost because some enemy hid inside a wall.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)

Avalerion posted:

So bad it's good is a thing. Like companions standing on air in a cutscene might be fun in the sense that you'll laugh first time it happens but we can likely agree that's not exactly the thing they were going for. :D

this has not happened for me yet

The most grave bug I've had was Liam going into the T-pose after being destroyed by a Kett

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

Xmaspast posted:

Lol do you REALLY think this game isn't going to sell well enough to warrant a sequel? Come the gently caress on.

It's undoubtedly going to sell well due to brand recognition, but it could be like a DA2 situation where an initial spike in sales dropped off precipitously due to word of mouth + poor reviews. Dragon Age 2 only ended up selling about half as well as Origins, bad press hurt it a lot.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

It's undoubtedly going to sell well due to brand recognition, but it could be like a DA2 situation where an initial spike in sales dropped off precipitously due to word of mouth + poor reviews. Dragon Age 2 only ended up selling about half as well as Origins, bad press hurt it a lot.

Even so, I think Andromeda is probably a stronger game than DA2, which was quite literally a smoking pile of poo poo with no redeeming qualities.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

JBP posted:

I've heard it thrown around before which is why I wondered.

:siren: trigger warning the witcher 3 :siren: The Witcher 3 cost $80m in production for reference.

No it didn't. Why does this number get peddled around here again and again? It takes 10 seconds of searching to find the numbers CDPR themselves gave:

quote:

A story published yesterday at Gazeta.pl put the final production budget a bit higher: over 120 million zł ($32.4 million). In addition, $35 million was spent just for marketing, making the final total roughly $67.4 million.

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-much-did-the-witcher-3-cost

DoctorGonzo
Jul 25, 2016

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The Witcher 3 is awesome.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
DA2 was a rushjob with horrible environments and a weird as fuckk plot and The Anders Situation

ME4 is better than it in every way

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

Decius posted:

No it didn't. Why does this number get peddled around here again and again? It takes 10 seconds of searching to find the numbers CDPR themselves gave:

http://www.usgamer.net/articles/how-much-did-the-witcher-3-cost

Because of the little fact that:

Indices Difference
Consumer Prices in San Diego, CA are 85.72% higher than in Warsaw
Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Diego, CA are 125.92% higher than in Warsaw
Rent Prices in San Diego, CA are 220.79% higher than in Warsaw
Restaurant Prices in San Diego, CA are 115.13% higher than in Warsaw
Groceries Prices in San Diego, CA are 133.52% higher than in Warsaw
Local Purchasing Power in San Diego, CA is 76.89% higher than in Warsaw

36 million dollars goes a hell of a lot further in Poland than in California.

Quoting the Witcher 3 budget of 36million in a vacuum is a bit asinine.

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Zzulu posted:

this has not happened for me yet

The most grave bug I've had was Liam going into the T-pose after being destroyed by a Kett

Was just an example, in actually I think it's more just a bit mediocre and not up to bioware's usuall standards (I actually liked da2 and inq too). There do seem to some genuinely good bits burried under all the junk too, so I'm getting it anyway as soon as there's a sale.

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

What's the argument here, that Andromeda was some shoestring budget indie project that just wasn't given enough time in the oven? It's a AAA title that had five years of development time spanning three studios and $40 million thrown at it, there's no reason why it should look the way it does, even if the Witcher had more money behind it.

orange juche
Mar 14, 2012

exquisite tea posted:

What's the argument here, that Andromeda was some shoestring budget indie project that just wasn't given enough time in the oven? It's a AAA title that had five years of development time spanning three studios and $40 million thrown at it, there's no reason why it should look the way it does, even if the Witcher had more money behind it.

Hardly, but claiming the Witcher was done on anything resembling a shoestring budget, especially considering what a living wage is in Poland, is pretty bad.

EA hosed up on ME:A, if they had committed a stable team to the project instead of constant management shuffle and implosions then they would have probably had what anyone would be calling the best Mass Effect ever. Instead, we got :dice:

E: a really good reason for why the game is the way it is for 40 million bucks is that management and team churn. Two reshufflings with probably at least one complete project reboot is extremely costly.

orange juche fucked around with this message at 11:33 on Mar 21, 2017

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

So basically in one part of the ice planet you come upon an AI that keeps lying over and over if SAM is to be believed, and then tries to take a hostage to get you to keep them alive. Now obviously she might just be freaking out and hence act a little weird, but the only two options are to keep her alive and lose the hostage or kill the AI to save the hostage. So given those options why would you save the AI when not only is it trying to actively kill your allies but keeps lying about who it is and why it is doing what it is? . It reminds me of a very similar scene in me 1 that only gave you the one option of killing it when found out, but there the choice was out of your hands.

Ambaire
Sep 4, 2009

by Shine
Oven Wrangler
TBH, ME:A doesn't really feel like a mass effect game... it just feels like some generic scifi rpg with a whole bunch of annoying mechanics and the ME name. I'm ~13 hours in and the honeymoon has faded and I'm left with the ugly beneath. I'm wondering if I can still take advantage of the origin refund policy.

e. Also, SAM is the most annoying pile of poo poo ever. Pathfinder, the temperature is going bananas. Pathfinder, radiation is here. Pathfinder, .. blah blah blah blah SHUT UP.

e2. If I continue playing, I am very tempted to just mute voices entirely and turn off subtitles. I'm not sure I'll miss anything.

Ambaire fucked around with this message at 11:41 on Mar 21, 2017

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

orange juche posted:

E: a really good reason for why the game is the way it is for 40 million bucks is that management and team churn. Two reshufflings with probably at least one complete project reboot is extremely costly.

Wouldn't you know it, making a video game that never asked to be made with none of the talent behind the original project leads to a bland and uninspired setting that nobody cares about.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

orange juche posted:

Because of the little fact that:

Indices Difference
Consumer Prices in San Diego, CA are 85.72% higher than in Warsaw
Consumer Prices Including Rent in San Diego, CA are 125.92% higher than in Warsaw
Rent Prices in San Diego, CA are 220.79% higher than in Warsaw
Restaurant Prices in San Diego, CA are 115.13% higher than in Warsaw
Groceries Prices in San Diego, CA are 133.52% higher than in Warsaw
Local Purchasing Power in San Diego, CA is 76.89% higher than in Warsaw

36 million dollars goes a hell of a lot further in Poland than in California.

Quoting the Witcher 3 budget of 36million in a vacuum is a bit asinine.

That doesn't change that the number (80 million) is simply wrong and gets quoted again and again, regardless what living costs are whereever. Most US developers also outsource a ton of stuff to China or Eastern Europe or India, making this table of yours (why San Diego? Bioware is in Canada) even less relevant.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

Fojar38 posted:

Just play it if you think it looks good

I will because im a mass effect nerd but ill probably wait for it to go on sale

if the op cant buy it then i must withold.

Rabid Snake
Aug 6, 2004

orange juche posted:

If that's what talked you out of it, you weren't going to buy and play this game anyways.

I had it preordered but canceled. I will play it because im a stupid mass effect nerd but ill wait for it to go on sale

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

I want to play this terribly bad game but Origin won't let me

Oxygen Deficiency
May 19, 2008

Due to various real life happenings, I was only able to start the trial properly last night. I'm not hating the cast as much as I thought but the animations and faces are truly a sight to behold.

I played one multiplayer quick match and it was really really laggy. Like the worst lag i've ever experienced. I assumed that the other three players were experiencing the same lag because each wave took us 5-7 minutes to clear and I certainly wasn't helping to kill things.

This has sort of killed my excitement a bit since MP was the thing I was most looking forward to about this game. Is there any way I can improve on the lag in MP? I'm playing from Ireland if that helps at all.

edit: okay a bit of googling has revealed that all the lag may have been on the host. In that case, it's probably better to host games myself if I have a decent connection?

Oxygen Deficiency fucked around with this message at 11:57 on Mar 21, 2017

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Transplanting the series' mythos into a barren galaxy, was maybe an unnecessarily ambitious task for the first major project of the rookie team.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Canadian
Sep 10, 2000

No one man should have all that Psycho-Power.

Can't really say much about the game on a grander scale but I do like the combat so far, feels sharp. Primer/detonation being easy is nice and fun and the hold to cover(vs button for cover) isn't quite the drag I thought it would be.