Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Durant would play all 82 games and still not be voted in out of voter spite. Same thing with Lebron and the Heat in year 1, they will take the juicy narrative over a repeat anytime they can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Paul Zuvella
Dec 7, 2011

The Seattle discussion is kind of super tired, especially when Seattle is almost guaranteed to get a team back in the next 5 years.

Tae posted:

Durant would play all 82 games and still not be voted in out of voter spite. Same thing with Lebron and the Heat in year 1, they will take the juicy narrative over a repeat anytime they can.

Even if Durant played 82 games and was at the level he was playing before Harden would probably still win.

EvanTH
Apr 24, 2004

i like to express my inner pain by being really boring on the phone
or just when i'm kickin it
that's me though
i'm kind of oddddddd

the_american_dream posted:

Also can someone explain to me as you would to a child the difference between Ray Allen to the heat and why that's cool and understandable and why Durant to GS is not

-Look it just is. Some things just are the way they are
-Because I said so
-Please go bother your mother
-I SAID GO TO YOUR ROOM
-I swear to Almighty God I will spank you in front of this whole store

BobHoward
Feb 13, 2012

The only thing white people deserve is a bullet to their empty skull

Timby posted:

Wasn't the bigger issue with them that Gary Payton never figured out how to run the offense, and Shaq and Kobe were back to fighting like spoiled brats?

These things were why Malone was essential on that team. He would move the rock and could still shoot turnarounds. He was a buffer between the spoiled brats, a future HOF'er they both seemed to respect enough to put aside me-ball. When he went down team basketball fell apart and that made it easier for Detroit to shut them down. Perhaps Detroit would have done that anyways but there really was an huge drop off in quality of offensive play without Malone.

cisneros
Apr 18, 2006

BobHoward posted:

These things were why Malone was essential on that team. He would move the rock and could still shoot turnarounds. He was a buffer between the spoiled brats, a future HOF'er they both seemed to respect enough to put aside me-ball. When he went down team basketball fell apart and that made it easier for Detroit to shut them down. Perhaps Detroit would have done that anyways but there really was an huge drop off in quality of offensive play without Malone.

Slava Medvedenko went like 10/11 from the field afterwards though

CRISPYBABY
Dec 15, 2007

by Reene

man maybe it's beating the joke into the ground but you really need some smooth curtis mayfield as a backing track for that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0B6TKClPFQA

Van Vleet is ok (for a d-league call up).

Pron on VHS
Nov 14, 2005

Blood Clots
Sweat Dries
Bones Heal
Suck it Up and Keep Wrestling

Lockback posted:

I mean, you have to listen to SAS on purpose to know, but the tone is so pitch perfect it may as well be a direct quote.

It's a great tweet but this one is even better

https://twitter.com/Hegelbon/status/492741034749620224

dokmo
Aug 27, 2006

:stat:man

attackmole posted:

Van Vleet is ok (for a d-league call up).

Maybe but he is a hilariously terrible finisher, as seen in his flatfooted vertical layup attempts.

Fate Accomplice
Nov 30, 2006

SHOAH NUFF posted:

This is faaaaaaar better. it's my second favorite tweet of all time, only defeated 6 days ago in the great roger stone bloodbath of 3/15/17.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
Please do not bash the best thing to come out of Rockford IL since like Cheap Trick(gently caress them tho)

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

SHOAH NUFF posted:

Sports-related this could be my favorite

https://twitter.com/justin_klugh/status/659236511565639680?lang=en

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

Adam Silver sent a strongly worded letter about resting players :allears:

Please don't turn into Rodger Goodell, Adam

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Adam Silver sent a strongly worded letter about resting players :allears:

Please don't turn into Rodger Goodell, Adam

With an addendum of "Yeah the broadcast partners are yelling at me, look I can't really do much, but it would be super awesome if you guys didn't rest people on the National games please, and if you must give me a heads up so I can smooth things over with them or maybe flex another game."

boop the snoot
Jun 3, 2016
Make it so NBA players have to miss a minimum of two games if they decide to miss one game.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

I prefer the crab rangoon one because to me the most ridiculous thing about Stephen A. Smith is how he overreacts and starts gibbering over absolutely nothing like the time Durant said he didn't know where SAS got the idea he was going to LA and SAS ranted on his show "You do not want to make an ENEMY of ME!"

Shear Modulus fucked around with this message at 21:46 on Mar 21, 2017

AggressivelyStupid
Jan 9, 2012

TBeats posted:

Make it so NBA players have to miss a minimum of two games if they decide to miss one game.

Or just stop having nationally televised games on back to backs

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.
I don't mind resting players, but maybe don't rest 3 of your starters at the same time? I feel like it probably isn't hard to give your players rest but still put a bit of effort into making sure your fielding a reasonably good team that people are paying to come watch.

Sounds like they are going to talk about it in the board of governors meeting coming up.

Redgrendel2001
Sep 1, 2006

you literally think a person saying their NBA team of choice being better than the fucking 76ers is a 'schtick'

a literal thing you think.

This is all a bullshit news story that's a smokescreen for the fact that at least half a dozen teams are tanking worse than anything the Sixers ever did.

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

Well it's much easier to rest everyone at once in the marquee matchups because resting one star player when you're a top team playing another top team already makes a loss almost certain, so the only things that make sense are rest nobody or rest everybody.

The only thing that can make resting players not an obvious decision is smarter scheduling. Don't make the Cavs, Warriors, Spurs, Rockets, Celtics, Raptors or other teams in that tier play each other without a day or two of rest.

Lockback
Sep 3, 2006

All days are nights to see till I see thee; and nights bright days when dreams do show me thee.

Redgrendel2001 posted:

This is all a bullshit news story that's a smokescreen for the fact that at least half a dozen teams are tanking worse than anything the Sixers ever did.

What? Which 6? The Nets are just legit bad, and the Lakers are probably trying to screw with their lineups to figure out what they have. Everyone else has been playing ok the last 10 games or so, or are trying to get into the playoffs but cannot play themselves out of a wet paper bag (RIP 3 Alphas).

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/presents18931717/the-nba-secret-addiction

Here is the full story about peanut butter and jelly referenced awhile back and holy poo poo just read the whole thing its amazing. But I wanted to highlight one aside in it:

quote:

Howard's legs tingled, he complained, but she noticed he was having trouble catching passes too, as if his hands were wrapped in oven mitts. Well, he quietly admitted, his fingers also tingled. Shanahan, with two decades of experience in the field, knew Howard possessed a legendary sweet tooth, and she suspected his consumption of sugar was causing a nerve dysfunction called dysesthesia, which she'd seen in patients with prediabetes. She urged him to cut back on sugar for two weeks. If that didn't help, she said, she vowed to resign.

To alter Howard's diet, though, Shanahan first had to understand it. After calls with his bodyguard, chef and a personal assistant, she uncovered a startling fact: Howard had been scarfing down about two dozen chocolate bars' worth of sugar every single day for years, possibly as long as a decade. "You name it, he ate it," she says. Skittles, Starbursts, Rolos, Snickers, Mars bars, Twizzlers, Almond Joys, Kit Kats and oh, how he loved Reese's Pieces. He'd eat them before lunch, after lunch, before dinner, after dinner, and like any junkie, he had stashes all over -- in his kitchen, his bedroom, his car, a fix always within reach. She told his assistants to empty his house, and they hauled out his monstrous candy stash in boxes -- yes, boxes, plural.

:stare:

Space Camp fuckup
Aug 2, 2003

Lockback posted:

What? Which 6?

The Suns are doing it pretty blatantly. Chandler got shut down after the all-star break, Bledsoe got shut down a week ago. They'd probably shut Booker down too but the arena would be empty.

Fast Luck
Feb 2, 1988

Redgrendel2001 posted:

Hmm, the Lakers are tampering with lineups to actively make themselves worse, Brooklyn doesn't even own their own pick but they're trash, and the Suns just plain shut down Bledsoe and Chandler without any injuries. The Sixers were dignified enough to actually injure their players before shutting them down, or to stash them in Europe.

Actually during Philadelphia's tanking years they successfully discovered three capable rotation players: Robert Covington, Richuan Holmes, TJ McConnell

Yesterday against the Magic it was funny seeing those three guys and Saric (acquired from the Magic, Philly also got a first) start against and almost beat the Magic. Nik Stauskas got a bunch of minutes and also miight be a rotation player and they got a first and a pick swap for.

That was some A+ tanking done right.

Exploding Computer
Oct 6, 2006
Fun Shoe

Lockback posted:

I don't mind resting players, but maybe don't rest 3 of your starters at the same time? I feel like it probably isn't hard to give your players rest but still put a bit of effort into making sure your fielding a reasonably good team that people are paying to come watch.

Sounds like they are going to talk about it in the board of governors meeting coming up.

You have to figure that with a starter out you have a much bigger chance to lose any given game. So for a team chasing playoff seeding, it makes more sense to totally throw away one game and then get back to it, rather than handicap yourself for three games. Also with a throwaway game you can play guys down the bench and see if anyone has a spark of life.

Intruder
Mar 5, 2003

I got a taste for blown saves

G-Hawk posted:

http://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/page/presents18931717/the-nba-secret-addiction

Here is the full story about peanut butter and jelly referenced awhile back and holy poo poo just read the whole thing its amazing. But I wanted to highlight one aside in it:

:stare:

After like a day of that I wouldn't be able to look at chocolate again for like a month

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

i am completely immersed in darkness
as i turn my body away from the sun
I can't believe the Trailblazers go crustless. hosed up.

Tae posted:

It doesn't really help him that he's not that much better than Steph, whereas Harden+Leonard+Westbrook are clearly much better than all of their teammates

got some chores tonight
Feb 18, 2012

honk honk whats for lunch...

chunkles posted:

I can't believe the Trailblazers go crustless. hosed up.

It doesn't really help him that he's not that much better than Steph, whereas Harden+Leonard+Westbrook are clearly much better than all of their teammates

hes a lot better than steph, who sucks

NickRoweFillea
Sep 27, 2012

doin thangs

Lol

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

got some chores tonight posted:

hes a lot better than steph, who sucks

actually, they both suck, which is why james harden should win

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

The league has absolutely no business telling coaches when the can and cannot give a player the day off

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Lockback posted:

If you've got 3 games, and three guys who need rest, if you rest all three at once rather than one per game, you only lower your chances of winning one instead of all three.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

AggressivelyStupid posted:

Or just stop having nationally televised games on back to backs

Yeah, this is on the NBA and the broadcasters. Resting guys isn't new, and since the Spurs showed how effective it is, everyone has jumped on the bandwagon. If the league wasn't/isn't smart enough to figure out how to schedule games to avoid looking bad on national broadcasts, don't blame the teams doing what they need to win in the playoffs.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Everytime a team has 2 games in a row followed by 4 days of rest, I wonder what in the world is causing that terrible management?

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

Tae posted:

Everytime a team has 2 games in a row followed by 4 days of rest, I wonder what in the world is causing that terrible management?

Scheduling is really loving hard as you have to deal with other things that are scheduled previously for 30 stadiums.

edit:

https://twitter.com/OldTakesExposed/status/844310389240315906

Dexo fucked around with this message at 23:57 on Mar 21, 2017

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

quote:

But now, on this charter flight, they found nary a PB&J. Concerned glances were exchanged. "Just the fact that it wasn't there shook me a little bit," Stephen Curry told ESPN at the time

SHOOK

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel
Stephen's recent shooting woes were recently revealed to have been caused by an incident in which he saw a bug by the sidewalk near the Warriors practice facility. Curry recalls: "It was a small bug, but it scared me. It shook me."

Brolander fucked around with this message at 00:48 on Mar 22, 2017

leftist heap
Feb 28, 2013

Fun Shoe
They are cutting the pre-season short next year and starting the season earlier right? I think they're getting an extra 7 days through that. I wonder if players would be willing to give up a couple days of the All-Star Break in order to sprinkle those extra days throughout the season and make the scheduling just that much more easier.

chunkles
Aug 14, 2005

Another reason for MVP Harden: he thinks rest is for pussies

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18965601/james-harden-houston-rockets-no-plans-take-rest-games-healthy

"I'm a hooper," Harden said. "I just want to hoop." :911:

Brolander
Oct 20, 2008

i am but a vessel

chunkles posted:

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/18965601/james-harden-houston-rockets-no-plans-take-rest-games-healthy

enjoy not sniffing the finals, Mr Hooper

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

G-Hawk
Dec 15, 2003

chunkles posted:

Harden has missed 1 game in 3 seasons and thank god for that because the rockets are probably better with him on one leg than they'd be without him

• Locked thread