Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Scruffpuff
Dec 23, 2015

Fidelity. Wait, was I'm working on again?
- 2.6.2 is intended to be a further bugfixing/polish patch with the main aim of improving the player experience, and building upon the foundations for features we introduced in 2.6.0, and built upon in 2.6.1.

It's intended to be a bugfixing patch. It isn't, but that was the intent.

- We are aiming to make various fixes to Level Art, Animation, Audio, Props, EVA, and Weapons to improve polish in all the Star Marine environments

The actual fixes will be in a future patch, but for this patch, we're aiming to fix them.

- Network - Serialized Variable - This was moved out of 2.6.1 due to the remaining bug fixing time requiring more attention than anticipated

So does that mean work was done for 2.6.2. or not? What exactly was done?

- Multiplayer Mega Map - This is the second part of the Mega Map feature and will work similarly to the Singleplayer modes, but is intended to reduce load times for the Multiplayer modes

Ah, the second part of Mega Map, of which the first part did nothing. It's intended to reduce load times. It doesn't, but that was the intent.

- UI - Bug Fixing/Front End Polish - The UI team have identified further bug fixes to the Main Menus and some more general gameplay bugs that they are aiming to fix

For this patch, we have identified bugs. We are aiming to fix them. When you download 30 GB today, you're downloading our intentions.

- Support for Non 16:9 Resolutions - We are aiming to support non-16:9 screen resolutions to give users a greater visual feel based around their preferred hardware setup

This is good news - while my system patches the game code, it will include what they're aiming to support.

- Arena commander Ship Customizer Fixes - Based on feedback and our own internal observations, the UI team are aiming to give a smoother customization experience to players

At lot of aiming in this patch. I wonder if they'll hit what they're aiming at, or if their weapons will clip through their hands.

- Arena Commander/Star Marine Lobby Fixes - As with the above the UI team also identified fixes they would like to make in the Arena Commander lobbies

This represents about 8 GB of the total patch, because it includes both the identification of fixes, and the fact that we'd like to make them. That much hope takes up a lot of storage space.

- Gamecode - Bugfixing - The Gamecode team are aiming to make further bug fixes to the spectator and camera system, as well as looking to address the intermittent framerate drops during Vanduul swarm and issues with Arena Commander pickups

More "aiming", more "looking to."

Patch 2.6.2 aiming to look good!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

The best part of this fiasco is doing a basic cost/benefit analysis on reworking/refactoring the patcher.

Most sane organizations would see the the return on investment if they tossed a few people at it. Basically easy pickings.

But I have to imagine the bean counters did the same calculations and determined with so few players, monies were better spent elsewhere.

Somebody fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 22, 2017

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE
so this isnt a content patch? feels grief

Virtual Captain
Feb 20, 2017

Archive Priest of the Stimperial Order

Star Citizen Good, in all things forevermore. Amen.
:pray:

Jobbo_Fett posted:

New set of leaks incoming

2.6.2 won't hit non-evocati until mid-May at the earliest. Blockers will be blamed.

Ben's next few history vids are so dry that Chris needed a glass of water just to listen to his priest.

Chris is apparently mad at Ben for falling asleep during a meeting after no mention of Wing Commander was made after 5 minutes.

"If 3.0 releases this year it'll be a miracle." -Chris

"Your mocap footage was well directed, I thought." -Ortwin

Sandi uses one of her kids to take the photos at work. Allegedly, if the tweets/posts get lots of follows the kids are told they'll go to Disneyworld this year.

The rusty RV outside the office finally got towed.

CIG has no plans to go to E3 this year, claiming that all-hands-on-deck is required for putting the finishing touches on 3.0. Said patch won't be seen for half a year after that, at the earliest.

Plans have been set in motion to ditch current hardware partnerships and begin anew with either Qualcomm or MediaTek. The switch is to take advantage of the growing mobile market and the need to cash in quickly with an app.

You are surprisingly good at this. More.

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

nawledgelambo
Nov 8, 2016

Immersion chariot
I don't think even the thread cares about patch 2.6.2 it's so underwhelming and sad

Maldavos
May 26, 2015
Grimey Drawer
Quora answer to "What is the most complex computer game?"

Eve? Dwarf Fortress? Well sure, those games have a lot going for them... You can create whole worlds or take over vast swaths of the galaxy.

But have you seen the keyboard layout for Star Citizen? I mean, not to knock Dwarf Fortress but I doubt those little bastards have auto-deploy nipple jets.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-complex-computer-game-to-play/answer/Yami-Levy?srid=h2Sxu&share=d0f19a86

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Maldavos posted:

Quora answer to "What is the most complex computer game?"

Eve? Dwarf Fortress? Well sure, those games have a lot going for them... You can create whole worlds or take over vast swaths of the galaxy.

But have you seen the keyboard layout for Star Citizen? I mean, not to knock Dwarf Fortress but I doubt those little bastards have auto-deploy nipple jets.

https://www.quora.com/What-is-the-most-complex-computer-game-to-play/answer/Yami-Levy?srid=h2Sxu&share=d0f19a86

When will you all realize the nipple jets are the most efficient way of moving about?

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

When will you all realize the nipple jets are the most efficient way of moving about?

Once you realize paaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaarp

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry
Hey MOMA, other shills, passionate lovers,

I have but one question for all of you.

Can Star Citizen fail?

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can Star Citizen fail?

It's too big to fail.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

ManofManyAliases posted:

It's too big to fail.

Thank you, this answers everything I could ever care abpfffffhahahahahahahahahahahahaha

A game, too big to fail.

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
http://i.imgur.com/I81X2MA.gifv

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

Every part of that gifv is as pathetically amateurish as a MOMA post.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Jobbo_Fett posted:

Can Star Citizen fail?

A backer answered this for us recently.

Colostomy Bag posted:

Not often a post on the official forums makes me really lol but this one got me.

"Star Citizen can not fail, it can only be failed, and even if people fail it it won't fail because it can just find other people who won't fail it or think it's a failure because it was failed. So it won't fail."

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

That seems like a mighty expensive purun purun qoo she's drinking there.

This thread has gotten to serious, are you guys ready for a laugh?

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

All you would-be Completionists out there, you had better start chipping in. Christ Roberts demands it!

Tokamak
Dec 22, 2004

:yarg:

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

As odd looking as this whole gif is, she doesn't once clip through the bed or have her limbs spin around behind her

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Space Crabs posted:

A backer answered this for us recently.

"Star Citizen can not fail, it can only be failed, and even if people fail it it won't fail because it can just find other people who won't fail it or think it's a failure because it was failed. So it won't fail."

Yes, but the point is not "Will SC fail" its "Can SC fail". You may argue that it is improbably for SC to fail, but the other is not impossible.

One video game cannot become "too big to fail", it affects nothing in the greater scheme of things, and the real world economy is not dependent on it.

The Titanic
Sep 15, 2016

Unsinkable

Scruffpuff posted:

- 2.6.2 is intended to be a further bugfixing/polish patch with the main aim of improving the player experience, and building upon the foundations for features we introduced in 2.6.0, and built upon in 2.6.1.

It's intended to be a bugfixing patch. It isn't, but that was the intent.

- We are aiming to make various fixes to Level Art, Animation, Audio, Props, EVA, and Weapons to improve polish in all the Star Marine environments

The actual fixes will be in a future patch, but for this patch, we're aiming to fix them.

- Network - Serialized Variable - This was moved out of 2.6.1 due to the remaining bug fixing time requiring more attention than anticipated

So does that mean work was done for 2.6.2. or not? What exactly was done?

- Multiplayer Mega Map - This is the second part of the Mega Map feature and will work similarly to the Singleplayer modes, but is intended to reduce load times for the Multiplayer modes

Ah, the second part of Mega Map, of which the first part did nothing. It's intended to reduce load times. It doesn't, but that was the intent.

- UI - Bug Fixing/Front End Polish - The UI team have identified further bug fixes to the Main Menus and some more general gameplay bugs that they are aiming to fix

For this patch, we have identified bugs. We are aiming to fix them. When you download 30 GB today, you're downloading our intentions.

- Support for Non 16:9 Resolutions - We are aiming to support non-16:9 screen resolutions to give users a greater visual feel based around their preferred hardware setup

This is good news - while my system patches the game code, it will include what they're aiming to support.

- Arena commander Ship Customizer Fixes - Based on feedback and our own internal observations, the UI team are aiming to give a smoother customization experience to players

At lot of aiming in this patch. I wonder if they'll hit what they're aiming at, or if their weapons will clip through their hands.

- Arena Commander/Star Marine Lobby Fixes - As with the above the UI team also identified fixes they would like to make in the Arena Commander lobbies

This represents about 8 GB of the total patch, because it includes both the identification of fixes, and the fact that we'd like to make them. That much hope takes up a lot of storage space.

- Gamecode - Bugfixing - The Gamecode team are aiming to make further bug fixes to the spectator and camera system, as well as looking to address the intermittent framerate drops during Vanduul swarm and issues with Arena Commander pickups

More "aiming", more "looking to."

Patch 2.6.2 aiming to look good!

This is what I was going to say but you did just as well and better. :shobon:

I wish I could fill up a version release document with stuff that we planned to do or will work on or what we aim for or intend. I'm really not sure why they do this or how people can imagine this as being ok. Even taking out any external influence like Derek or goons, or anybody saying anything negative, how do they get away with this?

Well one thing I hope people will move away from doing is using CIG versions as any iota of progress or milestones. Even here, everybody is up in talking about 3.0. 3.0 is going to be as meaningless as 2.6.2 or whatever this is. But because everybody is all about focusing on "3.0" getting 3.0 released is almost as good as the stuff that was supposed to be in it.

I think for CIG, people need to start discussing anticipated mechanics. Like trade, landing on planets seamlessly like in their pupil to planet video, talking to guys and getting missions. Probably >1 system to explore. Actual exploration. Sure these may be 3.0 items, but the disconnect between what CIG says will be in a version vs what is actually in that version may as well not even be talking about the same stuff.

So instead of "when 3.0 hits" there needs to be more "when we can land on a planet like in Elite" or "when we can trade like in Elite" or "when we can buy ships with in game money like in Elite". I think by using "... like in Elite" when discussing future plans for Star Citizen will help it along so people can slowly wonder why these basic core mechanics don't exist yet.

I just want to help Star Citizen get made guys. :allears:

DapperDon
Sep 7, 2016

Jobbo_Fett posted:

New set of leaks incoming

2.6.2 won't hit non-evocati until mid-May at the earliest. Blockers will be blamed.

Ben's next few history vids are so dry that Chris needed a glass of water just to listen to his priest.

Chris is apparently mad at Ben for falling asleep during a meeting after no mention of Wing Commander was made after 5 minutes.

"If 3.0 releases this year it'll be a miracle." -Chris

"Your mocap footage was well directed, I thought." -Ortwin

Sandi uses one of her kids to take the photos at work. Allegedly, if the tweets/posts get lots of follows the kids are told they'll go to Disneyworld this year.

The rusty RV outside the office finally got towed.

CIG has no plans to go to E3 this year, claiming that all-hands-on-deck is required for putting the finishing touches on 3.0. Said patch won't be seen for half a year after that, at the earliest.

Plans have been set in motion to ditch current hardware partnerships and begin anew with either Qualcomm or MediaTek. The switch is to take advantage of the growing mobile market and the need to cash in quickly with an app.

There will be a 2.6.3, a 2.6.4, a 2.6.5, 2.6.6, 2.6.7(there will be no distinction between this and the spergs wishing that this was 3.0 the whole time since that guy misspoke one time because Chris has them trying to interpret his craAAAAzzy rear end.) all the way up to 2.9.9b right on up to ShitizenCon where Chris will have Jack loving poo poo to show but some nice concept videos for rovers because he is promising that 3.0 is literally almost there, it just needs some final polishing passes and to work out the last of the blockers from the Netcode. From there it will be sent right to the Evocoti Elite to be tested and for the very first time we are going to offer tickets to participate in a new wing of Evocoti testers just in time for 3.0. And they will be able to milk that for an entire year or better if they can keep it up.

TrustmeImLegit
Jan 14, 2017

by FactsAreUseless
[–]OhMayGewd 2 points 7 hours ago
I can't even run the PU in fact, so you aren't the only one who wants that.

No wonder the dude is one of the more insane defenders of the game. He cant even play it so its his awesome dream game.

McGiggins
Apr 4, 2014

by R. Guyovich
Lipstick Apathy
The rest of mass effect andromeda better be better quality than that gif, or I will be quite displeased.

I mean, if star citizen ends up being better than me:a, then the world truly has come full circle and man truly is nothing but mere beasts.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Sappo569 posted:

Ben gets tired wavingbreathing

So are these tapes part of the junk pile he bought with crowd funded money , or is this a totally separate pile of junk?

FTFY. And I am sure they were personal junk. Something he was planning on using for the seed for the Ben Lesnick Memorial Wing of the National Museum of Roberts.

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
Has there been any news at all on the cartoon slides he kickstarted?

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Sabreseven posted:

Basically, sweet gently caress all.

Business as usual, keep doing what you're doing, etc

Love how the Star Marine bug-fixing contains no bug-fixing — only art adjustments.

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

The Titanic posted:

This is ok with me too. There may never be anything more than getting them to eat their own words and publicly admit defeat, but that's ok with me. My hopes are low at best. Not sure we'll even get a good lawsuit out of it once the money is gone, but eh!

Well, in a way that would be a best case scenario. Chris admitting under oath he doesn't understand game development would, I should hope, tarnish his reputation far beyond the point of him ever being able to do anything like this again.

Blue On Blue
Nov 14, 2012

Samizdata posted:

Well, in a way that would be a best case scenario. Chris admitting under oath he doesn't understand game development would, I should hope, tarnish his reputation far beyond the point of him ever being able to do anything like this again.

He's too old , he knows this is his last shot at having an enduring revenue stream in game crobblering or movie directing

If he doesn't pull this off its back to selling used sports cars to rich young executives, who wonder why there is a morbidly obese man hovering 10 feet away at any given moment

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
In terms of funding if MoMA is a big enough of a retard to expect his $8,000 in internet spaceships to appreciate 400% in value there may be whales out there that have spent even more ridiculous amounts of money than is already known on the game that are completely silent.

It's only clifford/wesha/accelewrath that brag about their $40,000 investments. There might be people with hundreds of thousands "invested" that have mortgaged their homes, drained their savings and think that UEC will be the next bitcoin basically.

It's also been six years. Any overpaid computer janitor that is the right mentality to be taken advantage of by CIG has had over 100 paychecks to draw from, not including credit cards.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

McGiggins posted:

The rest of mass effect andromeda better be better quality than that gif, or I will be quite displeased.

I mean, if star citizen ends up being better than me:a, then the world truly has come full circle and man truly is nothing but mere beasts.
combat is fun and streamlined

the animations are a complete hot mess like

when you blink your entire head model moves, this is a problem with attaching the blink triggers to the head for specific blink anims (some blink animations do not pull the brow/hairline forward)
shoulders are squared too far back, looks like the riggers pushed the shoulders maybe 4 to 6 inches too far back when it comes to certain animations to make the models arms not clip through each other, this is especially noticeable when NPCs are walking
walking animations are universal across some species as well, which is why you get humans walking boss like krogans or skirting around like salarians
whatever facial rigs they used for voice to speech is way, way, way off (basically a tools problem, but someone prob said "oh we can clean it up by hand" and didn't realize they have like 60 hours of voiced dialogue)
really terrible times when characters try to hold/grasp/shake hands/do just about anything because most seem to be canned animations that do not take into account height or size differences
characters absolutely almost never emote or do so very, very badly
characters look ok from about 12 feet back and only if they aren't moving or talking or emoting or doing anything but sitting on something or staring at an alien

these issues can basically be solved with more money and time or way better tools or all three

the game is interesting and I'm enjoying combat but the UI is garbage (including the quest tracker) and certain systems needed to be thought out a lot more than "I'm sure people love navigating a million screens"

the npcs you meet seem just thrown at you without any real backstory or interesting setup, and you really have to do collect a thon poo poo to get to some better parts of the game

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy
would you say me:a is a half-decent babby's first AAA game?

which it is, it's done by a bioware studio ea opened in montreal, they haven't done any games before, just some small things for the main bioware studio.

:same: tax

Truga fucked around with this message at 07:44 on Mar 22, 2017

Gradis
Feb 27, 2016

GAPE APE

TheAgent posted:

combat is fun and streamlined

the animations are a complete hot mess like

when you blink your entire head model moves, this is a problem with attaching the blink triggers to the head for specific blink anims (some blink animations do not pull the brow/hairline forward)
shoulders are squared too far back, looks like the riggers pushed the shoulders maybe 4 to 6 inches too far back when it comes to certain animations to make the models arms not clip through each other, this is especially noticeable when NPCs are walking
walking animations are universal across some species as well, which is why you get humans walking boss like krogans or skirting around like salarians
whatever facial rigs they used for voice to speech is way, way, way off (basically a tools problem, but someone prob said "oh we can clean it up by hand" and didn't realize they have like 60 hours of voiced dialogue)
really terrible times when characters try to hold/grasp/shake hands/do just about anything because most seem to be canned animations that do not take into account height or size differences
characters absolutely almost never emote or do so very, very badly
characters look ok from about 12 feet back and only if they aren't moving or talking or emoting or doing anything but sitting on something or staring at an alien

these issues can basically be solved with more money and time or way better tools or all three

the game is interesting and I'm enjoying combat but the UI is garbage (including the quest tracker) and certain systems needed to be thought out a lot more than "I'm sure people love navigating a million screens"

the npcs you meet seem just thrown at you without any real backstory or interesting setup, and you really have to do collect a thon poo poo to get to some better parts of the game

enough about Bens stuff give us some deets on sc

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer

Colostomy Bag posted:

https://www.reddit.com/r/starcitizen/comments/60r3i4/alpha_262_ptu_status_evocati_testing/

Dolvak calling out TheAgent for BS midway through the thread. Whoever has control, do some damage control.
I really wish more people would read my post, these have all been 100% confirmed and there's more but I'm lazy

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

Grimey Drawer
the leaks also specifically pointed out the core problems with model size vs interior sizes, which roberts said was a problem earlier this year

but obviously I just make this stuff up and then CIG is nice enough to confirm them for me

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

You are fake news. :smugdon:

Samizdata
May 14, 2007

Truga posted:

Has there been any news at all on the cartoon slides he kickstarted?

Not baiting me with that one this time.

Sum Mors
Feb 21, 2008
The best part about ME:A is that everybody is beating Crobberts to the punch at anything he could possibly design. Even horrible animations and wasted money.

Even if an MVP is released people will just say its an even shittier ME:A.

Crobberts can't even break ground in making garbage.

Warhawk109
Mar 13, 2017

Ghostlight posted:

You are fake news. :smugdon:

Very, very fake news.

So important. :smugdon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Truga
May 4, 2014
Lipstick Apathy

Samizdata posted:

Not baiting me with that one this time.

Oh poo poo now I remember. It was a big load of nothing and you wanted to ask Ben about it right? I'm just going to assume it's still nothing and he pocketed the cash.

Sum Mors posted:

The best part about ME:A is that everybody is beating Crobberts to the punch at anything he could possibly design. Even horrible animations and wasted money.

Even if an MVP is released people will just say its an even shittier ME:A.

Yeah, that's where I was going with my post. ME:A was produced by a studio with a tiny bit of experience doing what bioware does. SC crew is, at this point, mostly newbies/interns, it's going to be goddamn glorious if we see a "release".