Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I have finished my Warpath pledge, all 3 battleforces. I have a blister on my thumb from where the brush rests. I already posted the Asterians, but here are my Enforcers and Forge Fathers in full.

signalnoise posted:

Speaking of which

ITS TIME FOR MY SEMI-ANNUAL REQUEST FOR BATTLESCRIBE REPO ASSISTANCE

I will teach you how to make a battlescribe repo in exchange for you helping me make the repos for current deadzone and warpath. I have MOST of the legwork done already. I just need a collaborator. PM me if interested.

Wish I had time to. :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Atlas Hugged posted:

Wish I had time to. :(

Hey man, any time you can scrape out a few minutes, just let me know. I am not going to finish this by myself, and I say that as a choice. I COULD do it all myself, but gently caress that. Most of the data entry is done though, and I'm willing to do all the data entry, I just need people to bounce ideas off of. Asynchronous is fine, too.

But yeah, the project is just waiting for a collaborator or two. There's no boat to miss. I can pick it up whenever. Other repos do already exist, but I find them... lacking

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

signalnoise posted:

Hey man, any time you can scrape out a few minutes, just let me know.

Sure. My PM box is open whenever you want to shoot something my way. I can probably get to anything you send me within a day or two. The boy is making sounds that are lot like words and has discovered that he can stand up from a seated position under his own power so things are about to get a lot more hectic on my end.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Atlas Hugged posted:

I have finished my Warpath pledge, all 3 battleforces. I have a blister on my thumb from where the brush rests. I already posted the Asterians, but here are my Enforcers and Forge Fathers in full.

The white on your Enforcers looks real good. How much of a pain in the rear end was it to make it look that crisp?

Meantime I am sitting on 3 battleforces that are completely unpainted, save for a Blaine paintjob that I'm really not satisfied with.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Drone posted:

The white on your Enforcers looks real good. How much of a pain in the rear end was it to make it look that crisp?

Meantime I am sitting on 3 battleforces that are completely unpainted, save for a Blaine paintjob that I'm really not satisfied with.

A real, real pain. After I finished my Deadzone Enforcers I realized what a huge mistake I had made but I'm stubborn as a drunk mule and powered through. There's a reason why I saved them for last.

My Blaine is a pink alien in blue armor. Sure why not.

Edit: You'll notice my jetbikes have two different patterns. That's because after the first two that were more white than red I realized I just didn't have the mental fortitude to do that two more times and swapped the red and white sections.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!

Drone posted:

Airbrushing white makes it super simple. It will still take 3-4 coats, but it's fast and easy. (Airbrush alternative, a rattle can of white.)

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

relax, a photo's not gonna make any difference

Finally got my dwarfs assembled after a few weeks of nights and weekends. I've decided to multi-base everything in minimum unit sizes that I'd want. These can then be combined into larger units as needed. All 151 models (not counting the chests that go with the siege engines):

A few pains-in-the-rear end so far:

• Clipping off those round Mantic bases sucks. I did about 20 this evening after the photo. 96 to go...
  • A few minis - especially the metal/plastic combos - required a lot of clipping, trimming, and green stuff. In fact, the Bulwarker spears were so flimsy that I only ended up with 16 usable models. These have yet to be green stuffed.
  • Fitting minis into regiments of 20 is virtually impossible given arms/weapons/etc; so, I am scaling them down to 16 to match the Bulwarker regiment. This is still 2 over the "preferred model count" and I have even more bits and throwaway models for experimentation.

Still quite a bit more prep work before I can prime them. I'm hoping to get prep work done by the end of the month, but all this grey/silver is weighing on me. So, I made a little basing sample (front-and-center in the photo) to get some color in back in my hobby life...

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HerrBrau posted:

Clipping off those round Mantic bases sucks. I did about 20 this evening after the photo. 96 to go...

Get a razor saw

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Alternatively, and it's too late now but just something for others to think about or for the future, you can get movement trays that have the circular recesses cut into them. You'll still have to gap fill a bit, but that's likely easier and less messy than cutting the circular tabs off. Either way, thank god Mantic stopped that bullshit.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

signalnoise posted:

Get a razor saw
I have an Xacto one, but I find the clipping is faster (though, less clean). And it's tough to hold the minis steady while sawing.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

HerrBrau posted:

I have an Xacto one, but I find the clipping is faster (though, less clean). And it's tough to hold the minis steady while sawing.

IMO hold the mini against a cutting mat. It's easier than holding it in the air. Start at the thinnest part of the feet. You can also accomplish flat feet by clipping away most of the disc and then sanding the nubs away. If you do clip, use a flush cutter. What are you clipping with?

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

signalnoise posted:

IMO hold the mini against a cutting mat. It's easier than holding it in the air. Start at the thinnest part of the feet. You can also accomplish flat feet by clipping away most of the disc and then sanding the nubs away. If you do clip, use a flush cutter. What are you clipping with?
A flush cutter. Works great, though a bit more error prone around the feet. Sanding/filing takes a while, but it's probably safer ultimately.

I was cutting against the mat with the saw, but holding the mini steady would make my knuckles sore after a bit. Some kind of soft grip vise would be ideal...

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

i wear this armour to protect myself from the histrionics of hysterical women

bitches

What I'm doing this week

NTRabbit posted:

I, NTRabbit, oath to paint for March

• 1 Paraceratherium by Acheson Creations (28mm)
  • 3 Goblins and 1 Ogre by Mantic (28mm)
  • 3 crates, 2 barrels, 2 platforms, and a chest by 3T Studios (28mm)
  • 1 Hay Cart, 1 Turnip Cart, and 2 Scorpions by Warbases (28mm)
  • Muslin, a leftover plastic gubbin from Ikea, some oak dowel, and a bit of paddle pop stick

Pretty sure I won't need any further proof beyond the complete photo that will be a conversion :v:

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan

NTRabbit posted:

What I'm doing this week

Prehistoric siege howdah?

That paracerathium model is awesome.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Ogre Army Standard Bearer on chariot! So far I'm avoiding the use of chariots for my chariots, I did get some 4ground Japanese style carts to convert and use with some smaller animals from Acheson (Aurochs, Bison, Daedon), but they don't really work, and I think Ogres riding on real prehistoric animals works better anyway.

My siege howdah is going on the back of an equally awesome Deinotherium from Acheson another month :c00l:

http://www.achesoncreations.com/index.php?option=com_virtuemart&view=category&virtuemart_category_id=68

Shipping isn't great for outside of the US unless you make a big order, but if prehistoric animals are your itch, they do one hell of a job scratching it

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 16:48 on Mar 23, 2017

Giant Isopod
Jan 30, 2010

Bathynomus giganteus
Yams Fan
Oh my god I need these. I have no idea what for as I have a pile of monsters already and not enough basic troops for anything but these are great.

They even have a raptor with feathers!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

They just ran a KS to fund some new molds too https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/244627251/primaeval-designs?ref=nav_search

New kind of feathered raptor included!

And a foot long Camarasaurus that doesn't even fit in KoW but I still want it

Put massive side hanging howdahs with siege weapons on it Dinoriders style, cover it with Goblins and a command Ogre, call it a Chariot horde :unsmigghh:

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Mar 23, 2017

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Shopping question:
If I buy the rulebooks for Warpath/Firefight (end of next month), and Deadzone 2nd (right now), can I then play those games direct from the rulebooks, or do I also need to burn cash on the tokens and fancy dice and other peripheral stuff before I can play those games?
Also, is it better to grab the digital versions so I can always grab an up-to-date copy, or the hardcopy so I have a physical thing to flick through?

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

mcjomar posted:

Shopping question:
If I buy the rulebooks for Warpath/Firefight (end of next month), and Deadzone 2nd (right now), can I then play those games direct from the rulebooks, or do I also need to burn cash on the tokens and fancy dice and other peripheral stuff before I can play those games?
Also, is it better to grab the digital versions so I can always grab an up-to-date copy, or the hardcopy so I have a physical thing to flick through?

Both of them have custom dice and you'll also want counters, but beyond that you're good for Warpath. Deadzone has a map you'll want, and you need terrain for that game. Warpath you can use whatever, but for Deadzone the terrain is made specifically for that game system due to dimensions.

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Isn't there a table in the rulebooks that lets you convert normal D10's into command dice?

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Drone posted:

Isn't there a table in the rulebooks that lets you convert normal D10's into command dice?

You can convert normal dice to command dice, the only special thing you'll need to buy is d8s to play Deadzone, as that's the main dice used, and I'm pretty sure most people don't just already have cubes of them sitting around like they do with d6s.

Deadzone = d8 with special d6 command dice
Warpath/Firefight = d6 with special d8 command dice

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

signalnoise posted:

Both of them have custom dice and you'll also want counters, but beyond that you're good for Warpath. Deadzone has a map you'll want, and you need terrain for that game. Warpath you can use whatever, but for Deadzone the terrain is made specifically for that game system due to dimensions.

If there is a table to convert D8s or whatever into command dice, then I guess I could just use my own counters (I mean, as long as my opponent knows what's happening, right?) and then just grab the warpath/firefight set?

Not sure about Deadzone if I need a special mat/terrain specifically for that then. I guess I'll give it a miss for now and wait for april 22nd to roll around.
Thanks!

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

Deadzone is a very 3 dimensional game, and it's built around a 3" cube system to eliminate the need for rulers. The game mats have a 3" grid printed on them, and the Mantic terrain is kind of a lego set made from 3" squares, plus other more detailed stuff that attaches, though anyone with a laser cutter can make their own stuff that fits.

hexa
Dec 10, 2004

And the day came when the risk to remain tight in a bud was more painful than the risk it took to blossom
The 3" cube stuff is both a big plus and an equally-sized minus for DZ, I've found.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mcjomar posted:

If there is a table to convert D8s or whatever into command dice, then I guess I could just use my own counters (I mean, as long as my opponent knows what's happening, right?) and then just grab the warpath/firefight set?

Not sure about Deadzone if I need a special mat/terrain specifically for that then. I guess I'll give it a miss for now and wait for april 22nd to roll around.
Thanks!

Deadzone is played on an 8x8 grid since all movement and shooting is ranged in squares. A unit of Mantic terrain fits neatly into a square of the grid. The terrain's height is also tiered at even intervals so everyone on level 2 is on the same level 2 which matters because the game uses true line of sight. However, while vertical levels matter, the horizontal dimensions are meaningless. You could place a three square long wall neatly across three squares. Or you could put it down diagonally. When you move a model, you move it a number of squares equal to its movement, but you can place the model anywhere in the square. Other than moving up and down levels and through gaps, there's nothing in the rules about neatly placed terrain.

But yes, for Deadzone you do need the 8x8 mat and terrain that is divided into the same height segments, though it wouldn't have to be Mantic terrain. The Deadzone starter box is a really great way to, well, start, but if you don't want Mantic models then yeah, buying it piecemeal adds up quickly and maybe you should skip it.

For Warpath/Firefight, you need the rules, D6s and D8s. You will largely be rolling D6s and you'll need a number of D8s equal to your command pool, which you generate based on what units you pick. Theoretically, you could pick units that didn't generate command dice and you wouldn't need any. You'll also need tokens to show that a unit has been activated, if it's taken suppressing fire, if it has shields, or if it's on overwatch. But again you don't need official Mantic tokens. You could just print out a bunch of squares with each one saying activated, shields, suppression, or overwatch. You could use pennies, nickels, dimes, and quarters.

I mean, if you wanted to be super frugal, all you need is D6s. Roll a D6. 1-3 is "low", 4-6" is high. Now roll the D6 again. For a low spread, just reroll 5 or 6. For a high, add 4 to the roll (so 1 becomes 5, 2 becomes 6, and so on) and reroll 9 and 10.

I prefer physical copies of books. I like to flick back and forth and digital just doesn't do it for me yet.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

For Warpath/Firefight, you need the rules, D6s and D8s. You will largely be rolling D6s and you'll need a number of D8s equal to your command pool, which you generate based on what units you pick.

Wait so there are special D6's as well?
I mean, if there are charts to convert those two into the relevant results, then I've already got a bunch of normal versions of both of those, from having grabbed a bunch of RPG dice from other sources before.
Worst comes to worst I guess at a later date I could grab the command dice as well.
RE: Tokens, it's a combination of minimising cost, and I don't like to have too much extra stuff floating around the gaming table, so the less there is outside of minis and dice, the happier I am.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

mcjomar posted:

No no, there are no special d6s for Warpath/Firefight, those are regular d6s

The special d6s are for Deadzone and again, chart in the back of the rulebook.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 14:32 on Mar 24, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mcjomar posted:

I mean, if there are charts to convert those two into the relevant results, then I've already got a bunch of normal versions of both of those, from having grabbed a bunch of RPG dice from other sources before.
Worst comes to worst I guess at a later date I could grab the command dice as well.
RE: Tokens, it's a combination of minimising cost, and I don't like to have too much extra stuff floating around the gaming table, so the less there is outside of minis and dice, the happier I am.

NTRabbit posted:

No no, there are no special d6s for Warpath/Firefight, those are regular d6s

The special d6s are for Deadzone and again, chart in the back of the rulebook.

Yeah, sorry that wasn't clear. In Warpath/Firefight you make to hit and to damage rolls on D6s like 40k. Special D8s are used for command. In Deadzone you use D8s to resolve actions and special D6s for command.

Having stuff floating on the table is unfortunately necessary in Warpath/Firefight. Unit activation alternates between players, so you need to mark if a unit has already been activated or not that turn or if it was activated and placed on overwatch (effectively delaying its action until later in the turn) since it's the kind of thing that's easy to forget. You could get away with not having tokens for shields. That's just so your opponent knows without asking every time he shoots. But you'll definitely need something to stand in for suppression tokens because those accumulate and have effects based on the number of tokens you have.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

Yeah, sorry that wasn't clear. In Warpath/Firefight you make to hit and to damage rolls on D6s like 40k. Special D8s are used for command. In Deadzone you use D8s to resolve actions and special D6s for command.

Having stuff floating on the table is unfortunately necessary in Warpath/Firefight. Unit activation alternates between players, so you need to mark if a unit has already been activated or not that turn or if it was activated and placed on overwatch (effectively delaying its action until later in the turn) since it's the kind of thing that's easy to forget. You could get away with not having tokens for shields. That's just so your opponent knows without asking every time he shoots. But you'll definitely need something to stand in for suppression tokens because those accumulate and have effects based on the number of tokens you have.

Okay, for the suppression thing I guess I could pick a certain colour of dice nobody on the table is using (my see-through red dice might work for this) and just stack it up each time they accumulate?
Not sure about the rest. I've got a semi-reasonable spread of dice types/colours, as do a lot of the gamers at my club, so I guess I can use a number of my spare dice for this sort of thing?

But yeah if the D8 chart exists I'm good on that front then.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mcjomar posted:

Okay, for the suppression thing I guess I could pick a certain colour of dice nobody on the table is using (my see-through red dice might work for this) and just stack it up each time they accumulate?
Not sure about the rest. I've got a semi-reasonable spread of dice types/colours, as do a lot of the gamers at my club, so I guess I can use a number of my spare dice for this sort of thing?

But yeah if the D8 chart exists I'm good on that front then.

You wouldn't even need to stack the dice. Just use the pips on the dice to show how many suppression tokens the unit has received.

Placing colored dice for activations is perfect. You could even try to use the same colors as the official tokens since they're pictured in the book.

mcjomar
Jun 11, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Atlas Hugged posted:

You wouldn't even need to stack the dice. Just use the pips on the dice to show how many suppression tokens the unit has received.

Placing colored dice for activations is perfect. You could even try to use the same colors as the official tokens since they're pictured in the book.

Cool I guess I'll use spare/other coloured dice as my tokens then, and just grab myself a copy of the WP/FF ruleset when it comes out at the end of April.
I'm really tempted by digital, if only because it suggests in the product description that digital will be a living rulebook, so I can (hopefully) rely on constant updates to the PDF, which I can just download to phone/tablet/kindle and refer to as needed (I already do this for fan-made content, such as Heralds of Ruin, or Yaktribe-made stuff, so this isn't much of a stretch for me).

E: new question, what do the various warpath armies translate as?
Or what would I translate my remaining 40k (I'm selling stuff off) armies into?

I have some remaining marines, guard, tau, and eldar.

Eldar become the Asterians, that's easy
Marines become... forge fathers? Or enforcers? (I'd be tempted to do the latter).
Guard are those 'new' GCPS, those guys are the standard corporate infantry, right?
And Tau...? Rebs maybe? Something else?

mcjomar fucked around with this message at 16:46 on Mar 24, 2017

spacegoat
Dec 23, 2003

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Nap Ghost
Hell, just turn the leader model around or something to show that the unit has activated.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

mcjomar posted:

E: new question, what do the various warpath armies translate as?
Or what would I translate my remaining 40k (I'm selling stuff off) armies into?

I have some remaining marines, guard, tau, and eldar.

Eldar become the Asterians, that's easy
Marines become... forge fathers? Or enforcers? (I'd be tempted to do the latter).
Guard are those 'new' GCPS, those guys are the standard corporate infantry, right?
And Tau...? Rebs maybe? Something else?

It's intentionally less obvious than fantasy because for whatever reason people expect a sci-fi universe to be fully-fledged but are OK with elves being elves when people are swinging swords. Eldar are obvious, but Dark Eldar fit just as well. Marines can be either Forge Fathers or Enforcers. It really depends on which list you like better. Do you want to take a flamer and heavy bolter in every tactical squad? Forge Fathers. Do you want to focus on speed and mobility? Enforcers. Guard are obviously GCPS. Tau could be Enforcers or Asterians. Their focus on suits probably makes them more Enforcer than Asterian since the Asterians don't have an equivalent. Since they can throw garbage melee infantry into the mix, Tau could also be Forge Fathers.

spacegoat posted:

Hell, just turn the leader model around or something to show that the unit has activated.

This is really clever and I'm mad I didn't think of it.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

What is the best source for movement trays for Kings of War? I don't really think I would have a chance to play anytime soon, but I would like to get my Beastmen ready all the same.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Lord_Hambrose posted:

What is the best source for movement trays for Kings of War? I don't really think I would have a chance to play anytime soon, but I would like to get my Beastmen ready all the same.

Mantic themselves make plastic movement trays for the common unit sizes and MDF bases for the less common ones (large infantry). The Mantic trays come as horde trays but are scored on the reverse side to make cutting them down into regiments and troops easy.

herr brau
Dec 20, 2005

Lord_Hambrose posted:

I ordered mine from Ironheart Artisans.

Southern Heel
Jul 2, 2004

UK: warbases.co.uk all day, every day.

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
I am yet to purchase the books for warpath and firefight. I have a pile of dwarf bikers from a Kickstarter and was wondering if a mostly/all biker forgefathers army would be possible. I have some infantry frOm the deadzone Kickstarter but bikes would be cool.

NTRabbit
Aug 15, 2012

bitches

JackMack posted:

I am yet to purchase the books for warpath and firefight. I have a pile of dwarf bikers from a Kickstarter and was wondering if a mostly/all biker forgefathers army would be possible. I have some infantry frOm the deadzone Kickstarter but bikes would be cool.

Well there's nothing stopping you from doing it; 2-6 Valkyrs per team (60 pts +27 per) in Firefight, 2 Valkyrs per team (85pts) and 1-5 teams per unit in Warpath, and in Firefight you can buy a unit leader to get command dice. Could even get some Hultr Halftracks, which look like big armoured trikes, as heavier backup in future, 135pts per in Firefight, and a formation of 1-3 for 90pts each in Warpath.

Perfectly legit army composition.

NTRabbit fucked around with this message at 19:27 on Mar 24, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JackMack
Nov 3, 2007
Great to know. Thanks! I should get on building these bikers