Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BSam
Nov 24, 2012

that episode was so beautiful

needed more loving songs.

but beautiful

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
the music meister is literally a frustrated viewer trying to fix the relationship drama

amazing

nooneofconsequence
Oct 30, 2012

she had tiny Italian boobs.
Well that's my story.

DoctorWhat posted:

the music meister is literally a frustrated viewer trying to fix the relationship drama

amazing

In that case he should have killed Mon el.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

bull3964 posted:

The ADR with Barry's song at the end was really really bad. The sound mix was completely and totally devoid of any sense of being IN the scene. Terrible sound mixing that takes you right out of the moment, kind of ruined any emotional impact.

The ADR at the start of Superfirends was also atrocious, as in I'm not even sure Gustin was moving his mouth. And it might've been my local CW, but the levels at the start of the episode were pretty wonky as well. It was a good first attempt though. Next season they can do it better, let HR sing.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I guess nobody's going to mention how weirdly choppy and badly edited the episode was?

"My little girl went missing in Moran's club! You gotta find her!"

CUT TO interior, hallway

"Yeah, she's here in this apartment. Don't tell anybody about how you found out that I know this or how I led you here or about how you know what Moran's son looks like despite never having seen him."

I feel like half the episode ended up on the cutting room floor to make room for covers of songs instead of them writing original songs to actually, y'know, provide exposition and context.

hamsystem
Nov 11, 2010

Fuzzy pickles!
Technical choppiness aside, I really liked this episode. It probably helps that Gustin and Benoist are adorable together and I wish they'd crossover more.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

I'd prefer to see Supergirl and Oliver.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

GreenNight posted:

I was hoping for the musical episode to be more all-encompassing. I really wanted to see Stephen Amell and Dominic Purcell try to sing. That'd be right up there with Vinnie Jones in Galavant.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE
Vinnie Jones did a remarkably credible job in Galavant. Honestly someone should have made the writers watch that show before creating this episode.

Phylodox posted:

I feel like half the episode ended up on the cutting room floor to make room for covers of songs instead of them writing original songs to actually, y'know, provide exposition and context.

This is exactly the issue

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Yeah I love musicals and superheroes so this was just like a early birthday present to me. I loved it! I thought it was at least clever that they came up with a way to actually have the musical episode and it not be in the "real" world.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I get that one half-hour episode isn't a lot of time to cram a lot of musical numbers into (although, yeah, Galavant did it on the regular). The Buffy musical at least had an hour. But, Jesus, there were so many times in this episode where I found myself mentally shouting "Why are you not singing this?!? Quit with the dialogue!!! Enough of the Glee-esque covers!!!" It was great to see fantastically talented people get to stretch their singing muscles, but the episode kind of blew, content-wise. I'm definitely not going to buy a soundtrack for three Glee covers and two original songs.

They should have made this the multi-night, show-spanning event. gently caress those stupid aliens. Give me David Ramsey and Arthur Darvill joyfully slaughtering a duet about fighting supervillains.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Phylodox posted:

I get that one half-hour episode isn't a lot of time to cram a lot of musical numbers into (although, yeah, Galavant did it on the regular). The Buffy musical at least had an hour. But, Jesus, there were so many times in this episode where I found myself mentally shouting "Why are you not singing this?!? Quit with the dialogue!!! Enough of the Glee-esque covers!!!" It was great to see fantastically talented people get to stretch their singing muscles, but the episode kind of blew, content-wise. I'm definitely not going to buy a soundtrack for three Glee covers and two original songs.

They should have made this the multi-night, show-spanning event. gently caress those stupid aliens. Give me David Ramsey and Arthur Darvill joyfully slaughtering a duet about fighting supervillains.

Music Meister puts people into comas so he can use their powers to rob banks. Grounded, standard meta of the week. Music Meister is a magic man who spreads love via musical dreams. Those two things don't mesh. It feels like there was some kind of writing room schism over how silly they could go.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Yeah, I kept expecting Cisco to say "But why did you try to rob a bank?!?" and Music Meister to reply "Bitch, I need money!"

Also, he's totally Mxyzptlk.

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Phylodox posted:

Also, he's totally Mxyzptlk.

They already did him on supergirl. I doubt they'd redo him in disguise as someone else.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

The Lord Bude posted:

They already did him on supergirl. I doubt they'd redo him in disguise as someone else.

Nzykmulk, then.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

GreenNight posted:

Supergirl: "We're super friends"
Flash: "I'll always be there for you because we are friends"
Oliver: "....won't someone loving help me right now?"

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm going to need a "Vibeforce: I ain't gotta explain poo poo" GIF after Cisco somehow vibed two people into the minds of other people.

"Cisco! You gotta vibe us in there!"
"What?! It's a Dream!"
"Yeah but you sent people to the speedforce, an alternate physical dimension and other physical locations through straight teleportation so obviously you can connect people together mentally"
"Okay!"

GreenNight posted:

The only proper way to do this is to have her constantly putting up lights because Star City is so dark and bleak. It was a pretty stark contrast when Cisco and Barry went to National City and it was all super brightly lit.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

lotus circle posted:

Gotta say wasn't a big fan of this episode. For a hyped "musical" I think there were only a total of 4 songs.

GobiasIndustries posted:

That was a real poo poo musical episode :(

Senerio posted:

I liked it, personally.
I'd say it was a good episode of The Flash, but it was a bad musical episode.

Oracle posted:

It was no Buffy
Or Scrubs or Daria or Batman the Brave and the Bold, or even Supernatural.

howe_sam posted:

The song Barry sang at the end was also an original
Well, that was a wasted effort, because you really couldn't tell. I assumed it was just an existing song that I wasn't familiar with.

bull3964 posted:

The ADR with Barry's song at the end was really really bad. The sound mix was completely and totally devoid of any sense of being IN the scene. Terrible sound mixing that takes you right out of the moment, kind of ruined any emotional impact.
I actually thought it might not be him singing it.

BrianWilly posted:

And gently caress it, I loved that Super Friends song.
Easily the best part of the episode.

Slamhound posted:

I was really expecting Music Meister to reveal he was Mxyzptlk.
:same:

hamsystem posted:

Technical choppiness aside, I really liked this episode. It probably helps that Gustin and Benoist are adorable together and I wish they'd crossover more.
The crossover episodes they've done have been way better than the average for either show.

Phylodox posted:

They should have made this the multi-night, show-spanning event.
Definitely. But with all original songs.

Fru Fru
Sep 14, 2007
We're gonna need a bigger boat...and some water.

Guy Goodbody posted:

Music Meister puts people into comas so he can use their powers to rob banks. Grounded, standard meta of the week. Music Meister is a magic man who spreads love via musical dreams. Those two things don't mesh. It feels like there was some kind of writing room schism over how silly they could go.

Phylodox posted:

Yeah, I kept expecting Cisco to say "But why did you try to rob a bank?!?" and Music Meister to reply "Bitch, I need money!"

But they did mesh. I thought it was fairly obvious that he was only robbing the bank to help Wally get his groove back and make everyone start working as a team. Even Cisco was using his portal powers to fight instead of just waiting around til someone needs to vibe something.

I can understand if people didn't like the episode for whatever reason, but at least I thought it made sense how they presented it. Now what didn't make sense to me is why they called him Music Meister when it was outright stated that the musical came from Barry/Kara, not from him.

Balon
May 23, 2010

...my greatest work yet.
He might not be myx but he's at least another 5th dimensional being.

Ojjeorago
Sep 21, 2008

I had a dream, too. It wasn't pleasant, though ... I dreamt I was a moron...
Gary’s Answer

Phylodox posted:

I get that one half-hour episode isn't a lot of time to cram a lot of musical numbers into (although, yeah, Galavant did it on the regular). The Buffy musical at least had an hour.

What? This show is an hour long too.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

pee out my butt posted:

What? This show is an hour long too.

THEN THERE'S NO EXCUSE AT ALL!!!

Avalerion
Oct 19, 2012

Curious what's the story behind this episode. As in...why even have a musical episode?

Kind of felt like a filler episode, it's good it at least resolved the relationship drama, but I suspect that only existed to justify this resolution to begin with so eh...

Zebulon
Aug 20, 2005

Oh god why does it burn?!

Avalerion posted:

Curious what's the story behind this episode. As in...why even have a musical episode?

Because like half the cast of the CW'verse shows are from Glee, have broadway experience, or can otherwise sing well. That's pretty much where the reasoning begins and ends.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Zebulon posted:

Because like half the cast of the CW'verse shows are from Glee, have broadway experience, or can otherwise sing well. That's pretty much where the reasoning begins and ends.

That and the fans were demanding it because of the above. People were very vocal about wanting a musical episode.

aBagorn
Aug 26, 2004
Echoing the "I wish there was more music in the musical episode" sentiment.

Super friends was :allears: and we need more like that

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
Just go full Galavant and have a whole musical season.

WhyteRyce
Dec 30, 2001

Last week's Legends had a better singing performance

cool kids inc.
May 27, 2005

I swallowed a bug

WhyteRyce posted:

Last week's Legends had a better singing performance

I haven't seen the Flash episode yet, but it's going to be mighty difficult to top the Legends performance.

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012
Echoing sentiments, but I feel like Amell were to get included, he should be left as the only one not singing and trying to figure out how to stop everyone else ala Batman in BatB.

They also should've gone more explicit in Music Meister's nature since it's obvious he's a Fifth Dimensional being, but never clearly say or imply it.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Honestly, I was a bit put off by the whole... affair.

Truthfully, the episode could've had some pizzazz, some flair!

They should have sang from top to bottom, front to back, the amount of songs they sorely lacked, they should have sung until the end, lets sing it together my goony friend they should have sang all the way to the.

Very.

Mother.

loving.

End!

They should have sang the whole episode is what I'm saying.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Given that Music Meister knew everything about everyone and had some manner of transport power I'd guess that he's a Monitor. DC's version of a Watcher but interferes like a motherfuck.

kjetting
Jan 18, 2004

Hammer Time
I liked the episode (and sudden musical episodes/scenes in non-musical series in general), but agree with everyone who said there wasn't enough songs.
There were so many opportunities for them to express their feelings in song and dance as well, I was expecting them to break into song on several occasions, like when Kara and Barry decided "this is a musical, we have to follow the plot and tell the young lovers to reveal their feelings to their fathers" I was dead certain there would be a musical sting and the superheroes suddenly belting out a song about the importance of honesty or family and love being stronger than hate or whatever.

Longbaugh01
Jul 13, 2001

"Surprise, muthafucka."
I'm going to dissent with pretty much everyone who has posted and say I think the balance of musical vs. not musical was the appropriate balance for what this show usually is, where it's currently at, and keeping the logistics involved in mind.

But, drat that ADR was bad at times. Like someone said earlier, not necessarily just that it was ADR, but the mixing/balance of it.

Unkempt
May 24, 2003

...perfect spiral, scientists are still figuring it out...

Xelkelvos posted:

They also should've gone more explicit in Music Meister's nature since it's obvious he's a Fifth Dimensional being, but never clearly say or imply it.

Mopee finally gets his big break.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Longbaugh01 posted:

I'm going to dissent with pretty much everyone who has posted and say I think the balance of musical vs. not musical was the appropriate balance for what this show usually is, where it's currently at, and keeping the logistics involved in mind.

But, drat that ADR was bad at times. Like someone said earlier, not necessarily just that it was ADR, but the mixing/balance of it.

as someone who skipped all the songs it still felt like i got an episode, and most people who liked the songs seemed okay with what they got so I'd agree that it's a good balance.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I guess if "got an episode" is your only criteria, then it's fine, but it was pretty shoddy in terms of editing and writing, too. I just re-watched the Runnin' Home to You sequence ('cause it is a bomb-rear end song, to be fair), and it's, like, unconscionably boring, visually. It's pretty much shot-reverse-shot in a dark, grey room.

howe_sam
Mar 7, 2013

Creepy little garbage eaters

They didn't let HR sing, so clearly there needed to be at least one more song. :colbert:

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless

Phylodox posted:

Just go full Galavant and have a whole musical season.

INTRODUCING

DETECTIVE JOE WEST

IN

COP ROCK: THE REBOOT

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fleve
Nov 5, 2011

I'm not sure I've kept up with all the episodes lately, but I thought Barry was supposed to ask Joe for his daughter's hand. Did he forget about that again or did I miss it? He needs to go back in time and rectify that poo poo, can't go letting down the flashdads.

• Locked thread