Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AnimeJune
Dec 3, 2007

"We're dead. Bartowski's got a gun."

Aces High posted:

Thaaaaaaaat was his name, drat that was bothering me all day. Now I'm picturing him as Beast, Butler as Gaston and...oh my :blush:
Hilariously, when Butler hosted SNL he played the Beast in a BatB spoof where he expects Belle to transform when the last petal falls - into the same woman, with a bigger rear end. He was actually pretty funny. The skit also included Bill Hader's Lumiere informing us "as a candlestick, I am only attracted to other candlesticks, but I once dated a menorah in college".

I really appreciated Luke Evans in this film. I mean, the original Gaston was a flipping' OPERA SINGER, but he held up his end. In fact, I think Evans, Gad, Audra, and Dan Stevens (during his one song) were about the only folks who actually *emoted* while singing. Even the others who weren't terrible just sang the lines with barely any emotion or inflection at all - probably because they are all traditionally actors rather than singers.

I also really need more Dan Stevens in a powdered wig and rock star make up in my life.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Supersonic Shine
Oct 13, 2012
Looks like they're skipping Dr. Diaper and starting off with the talking toilets and Professor Poopypants. I wonder if the alien lunch ladies will show up, too.

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Four days in and BatB is already the biggest (domestic) film of 2017 so far with a cool $188 million. Logan is beating it in worldwide box office but that probably won't last long ...

"But how will BatB succeed in the Chinese market when they don't travel to Hong Kong? Shouldn't Gaston contact the Chinese government about a coalition against the Beast."

-Some executive

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Isnt it still projecting to be the biggest movie of the year? I feel like long term its going to do absolute gangbusters and in 15 years nobody will remember it exists other than as a curiosity.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Barudak posted:

Isnt it still projecting to be the biggest movie of the year? I feel like long term its going to do absolute gangbusters and in 15 years nobody will remember it exists other than as a curiosity.

Oh, like the other catpeople movie, Avatar.

Shaocaholica
Oct 29, 2002

Fig. 5E

In case anyone didn't know, this isn't being done by the Dreamworks Glendale studio but was contracted out to Mikros in Canada. There is a core production team in Glendale but the artists and tech are all Mikros.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

Isnt it still projecting to be the biggest movie of the year?

It's making a loving ridiculous amount of money. BatB had the 7th biggest domestic opening of all time and the biggest March opening ever (beating Batman v Superman's previous record) and its day 4 domestic total is actually bigger than Star Wars:Rogue One's day 4 total but there's no way it'll outperform the upcoming Star Wars movie.

For comparison, Star Wars: The Force Awakens' day 4 domestic total was exactly $100 million higher than BatB.

Fangz
Jul 5, 2007

Oh I see! This must be the Bad Opinion Zone!
This thread really needs to stop hating on stuff, it's having a terrifying effect on the real world.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Correction: they just got the BO actuals and it's actually the 6th biggest domestic opening of all time, pushing Iron Man 3 down a rank. It came really close to taking the 5th spot.

Of course this means that we'll now get LIVE ACTION DISNEY REMAKES FOR THE REST OF TIME.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Fangz posted:

This thread really needs to stop hating on stuff, it's having a terrifying effect on the real world.

Sorry, Im a creature that feeds on misery and I can only be temporarily defeated by learning valuable moral lessons in less than two hours.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Phylodox posted:

Sarah Brightman sounds like a Muppet in Phantom of the Opera.

This is a good opinion. Another good opinion I've read is Brightman also sounds like a cat or dog being waterboarded.

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Pick posted:

Oh, like the other catpeople movie, Avatar.

Clearly there is a lucrative market for catpeople movies and I for one welcome many more of them

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Barudak posted:

Sorry, Im a creature that feeds on misery and I can only be temporarily defeated by learning valuable moral lessons in less than two hours.

Please go back to your job, Mr. President.

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

Finally seeing Lego Batman.

I've never heard of Leap, but it is annoying me that they show the Statue of Liberty under construction, and yet it's already green. I know I'm kind of :spergin:ing here, but still, it's supposed to be copper

Troposphere
Jul 11, 2005

psycho killer
qu'est-ce que c'est?

teagone posted:

This is a good opinion. Another good opinion I've read is Brightman also sounds like a cat or dog being waterboarded.

here's my opinion: all of the christines that are on album recordings are garbo

Build-a-Boar
Feb 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Sinners Sandwich posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zs2SrqLum1M

Captain Underpants Trailer aka ADULT VOICED KIDS

But drat I think this really looks great, read the books as a kid but have a vague reccolection of them, like didn't he have actual super powers? Looks charming anyway

As someone who has never heard of this book, everything about this frightens and confuses me. Nice animation though!

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

Build-a-Boar posted:

As someone who has never heard of this book, everything about this frightens and confuses me. Nice animation though!

it's a series of books, it's pretty fun in a goofy manner.

Das Boo
Jun 9, 2011

There was a GHOST here.
It's gone now.
Captain Underpants looks cute. Probably not something I'll see in theaters unless with my niece and nephew, but the animation's nice and loose, the style is translated well, it has a manic energy and it thus far isn't pop-referencing the gently caress out of everything. I've never read the books, but I get the feeling it's got some love to it and isn't just a soulless, corporate cash venture. Looks like a good kids' movie. :)

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
Looks like a movie I'll never watch :toot:

Oh hey in super tangential news that I only post here because of the tenuous animation linkage, there's a new Gorillaz single out tomorrow and should have a cool Jamie Hewlett music video :) anyway there's a thread in NMD if anyone wants to discuss

That Dang Dad
Apr 23, 2003

Well I am
over-fucking-whelmed...
Young Orc
During my showing of Beauty and the Beast: A Live Action Remake, in the split second of quiet after Gaston fell to his death, a little boy jumped up and said "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET!" and it ruled.

Welp, that's my story.

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

mary had a little clam posted:

During my showing of Beauty and the Beast: A Live Action Remake, in the split second of quiet after Gaston fell to his death, a little boy jumped up and said "THAT'S WHAT YOU GET!" and it ruled.

Welp, that's my story.

Hahaha that's awesome

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin
When I saw Life Of Pi a 50ish year old woman behind me shouted out when Richard Parker (the tiger) attacks the hyena, "Yes, the lion's gonna kill it!" and I was like :catstare:

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Has there been an animated movie where the woman has been beastified and has to be fallen in love with, like not just turned into a bear like in Brave, or was poor like in Cinderella?

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Legit cute! :kimchi:

As for your question... Howl's Moving Castle because ageing is sadly seen as akin to being a beast for women in this modern era, BOOM dropping the social commentary bombs itt, you're welcome fam

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Drifter posted:

Has there been an animated movie where the woman has been beastified and has to be fallen in love with, like not just turned into a bear like in Brave, or was poor like in Cinderella?

Shrek.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

shork is life.

Testekill
Nov 1, 2012

I demand to be taken seriously

:aronrex:

Guys, Captain Underpants looks like it might be... good? At the very least, it looks like it should be fun.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Testekill posted:

Guys, Captain Underpants looks like it might be... good? At the very least, it looks like it should be fun.

It looks like it's gonna be (spiritually) faithful to the books, which is a good sign

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

So yeah, Lego Batman was super good, as expected.

They really nailed the self-referential humor with that one, gotta say.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Shadow Hog posted:

So yeah, Lego Batman was super good, as expected.

They really nailed the self-referential humor with that one, gotta say.

I like the little jab they took at The Man of Steel by having the Superman zapping Zod to the phantom zone scene being shot by one Z.Snydar

Sinners Sandwich
Jan 4, 2012

Give me your friend's BURGERS and SANDWICHES, I'll put out the fire.

I am pissed that Zod wasn't in the phantom zone gang

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

mary had a little clam posted:

Welp, that's my story.

With this, that makes at least two good things to come out of it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ptKgRecPi1I

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Sinners Sandwich posted:

I am pissed that Zod wasn't in the phantom zone gang

IMO there should have been a scene where Batman realizes that Zod is just cranky about some pain in his neck and calms him down by giving him a massage

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

I just realized this morning that during the gag where they chronicle every Batman movie that's ever happened in quick succession, they skipped over Mask of the Phantasm, didn't they?

I mean, okay, sure, that wasn't a popular film by a long shot, but it was a good one...

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

They went over every live action Batman movie. I love Mask of the Phantasm, but it being a theatrically released movie is almost a trivia question to the general public at this point.

Alfalfa The Roach
Oct 13, 2012

You need to be a badass first.

Sinners Sandwich posted:

But drat I think this really looks great, read the books as a kid but have a vague reccolection of them, like didn't he have actual super powers? Looks charming anyway

Ed Helms would be so far from my first pick to play Krupp/Captain Underpants, but he sells his catchphrase perfectly. George and Harold's voices are still too old for their roles, but everything else just gives me this huge grin on my face. Can't wait!

Regalingualius
Jan 7, 2012

We gazed into the eyes of madness... And all we found was horny.

Not striiiiictly related to the thread, but new Gorillaz video is out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJp6xlKEug

Hedrigall
Mar 27, 2008

by vyelkin

Regalingualius posted:

Not striiiiictly related to the thread, but new Gorillaz video is out now.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5qJp6xlKEug

(also for Gorillaz fans there's a thread in NMD where we're discussing the four new songs that dropped today! :neckbeard:)

dirksteadfast
Oct 10, 2010

Sinners Sandwich posted:

Having never read the books, this looks like a long episode of Gumball (which sounds like fun). Probably won't see it in theaters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wuffles
Apr 10, 2004

Sinners Sandwich posted:

What the gently caress does BASED ON THE WORLDWIDE PHENOMENON even mean?

Like it's a book, it's always been a book. Are they embarrassed by being a book?

welcome to Trump's America