Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Macross Plus is the Top Gun of anime, much as 0083 wishes it were.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Everyone knows F91 had the best suit designs anyway. Everything else is playing for second place.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today

Guy Goodbody posted:

What do the suits not like about IBO?

poo poo ratings somewhat balanced out by decent model kit sales, or so I've heard.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Bimmi posted:

I am not particularly interested in having another go on the Feddie vs. Zeek treadmill o' despair.

It feels particularly reactionary coming after IBO, which at least tried to shake things up even if the results weren't what the suits might have preferred.

They've been alternating UC and AU stuff for awhile tho, the wording is vague but I could easily see this being yet another UC OVA series.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

SeanBeansShako posted:

I want an alt history Gundam sort of like Patlabor where mobile suits never really get absorbed into the military system and it basically just Amuro and Char being engineers in rival space robot construction firms.

What?

I know I've said it before but I'd kill to see a show centered around Anaheim doing R&D and testing and just being a little slice of life thing that just so happens to involve piloting ludicrously powerful prototype death machines. A new suit every episode keeps the toy company happy, and you can have all the fights you want with mock battles or simulations or drones or rival companies/terrorists/whatever.

Of course that's like 90% of the way towards Advance of Zeta anyways I guess but hey.

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

SeanBeansShako posted:

I want an alt history Gundam sort of like Patlabor where mobile suits never really get absorbed into the military system and it basically just Amuro and Char being engineers in rival space robot construction firms.

What?

Let me tell you about Gunota no Onna, my friend.

DamnGlitch
Sep 2, 2004

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

I know I've said it before but I'd kill to see a show centered around Anaheim doing R&D and testing and just being a little slice of life thing that just so happens to involve piloting ludicrously powerful prototype death machines. A new suit every episode keeps the toy company happy, and you can have all the fights you want with mock battles or simulations or drones or rival companies/terrorists/whatever.

Of course that's like 90% of the way towards Advance of Zeta anyways I guess but hey.

You just know it would start light and fun and the second half would be some overwrought poo poo stuffed in because people thought the first part was too slow.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

ACES CURE PLANES posted:

Igloo minus the Nazeon stuff, then?

VolticSurge
Jul 23, 2013

Just your friendly neighborhood photobomb raptor.

Midjack posted:

Igloo minus the Nazeon stuff, then?

And minus the Zeon fanboyism.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009
I just want an OVA adaptation of the Zaku I invention manga. :3:

Also, it's still bizarre that we haven't gotten a Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi adaptation yet.

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo
They should do an adaptation of when you play Gihren's Ambition really well. The One Year War where Garma never dies and Char joins the Black Tri-Stars and the Big Zam actually does get mass-produced.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Lemon-Lime posted:

I just want an OVA adaptation of the Zaku I invention manga. :3:

Also, it's still bizarre that we haven't gotten a Plot to Assassinate Gihren Zabi adaptation yet.

As much as I love the Plot to Assassinate Gihren, it's got a lot of hurdles to get an adaptation. It's talky, low on suit fights, and complicated. The protagonist isn't a pilot (partially 'cause he was poo poo at it when he tried) and a lot of more minor details turn out to be major later, so trimming for the adaptation is trickier.

Apparently the upcoming series is by the same writing team, though, so that's kind of a decent consolation prize.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
When I was in High School Wing had just come out, I drew my own Gundam series. It was basically the Wing pilots dressed up like Casshern (their masks were gundam esque). I mean, if you guys think it'll help, I could find the notebook and send it to Sunrise?

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
A show based on Anaheim developing new mobile suits would be a lot like Wings Of Honnameise: The Royal Space Force.

Bloody Pom
Jun 5, 2011

Bimmi posted:

poo poo ratings somewhat balanced out by decent model kit sales, or so I've heard.

Because US ratings apparently don't count in the eyes of Japanese execs. :jerkbag:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Bloody Pom posted:

Because US ratings apparently don't count in the eyes of Japanese execs. :jerkbag:

IBO was basically ratings poison in the second half of its run on Toonami, and Unicorn doesn't seem to be doing so well either.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I mean I would murder someone for a batshit crazy Frozen Teardrop OVA but UC has usually been my go to for anything decent.

Just finished my Wing rewatch and it was a crazy roller coaster ride. Still think that the second OP has some of the best OP animation of a Gundam series made in the 90s. Still shamefully love Wing despite all of it's flaws and now I'm going to get caught up on IBO and get really disappointed that Kudelia fades into the background.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Waffleman_ posted:

IBO was basically ratings poison in the second half of its run on Toonami, and Unicorn doesn't seem to be doing so well either.

Ratings poison is an exaggeration, I'd think. It didn't do nearly as well without One Punch Man as a lead-in, but it had a solid 950K for the second-to-last week, and a not-terrible 850 for the finale. Considering how badly Jojo did that week, Gundam held up okay.

The marathon tanked, but the marathon was the slowest stretch of the show all at once. I don't hate the Dort arc, but if you're tuning in for hot mech-on-mech violence instead of space politics... yeah. It's not until the last episode of the night it got back to prime Mikazuki brutality, and by then it was only the most dedicated crowd still standing.

Now, Unicorn does seem to be doing poorly, but that's a different show entirely.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Does CN promote their Gundam poo poo, like, at all? I remember back when SEED was running, and I never saw a single promo for it.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Cn promted seed a poo poo ton before they moved it to 5 am because gently caress idunni

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Is there anywhere I can stream the IBO dub legally? Now that season 2 is winding down I really want to go back and put it all together.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Tae posted:

Cn promted seed a poo poo ton before they moved it to 5 am because gently caress idunni

IIRC them moved it because of violence. Which is also why you got the DISCO GUNS

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

The Muffinlord posted:

Is there anywhere I can stream the IBO dub legally? Now that season 2 is winding down I really want to go back and put it all together.

The Gundam.Info youtube channel has been putting up the english dub version. I think they're into season 2 now.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Mimir posted:

I'm watching G-Gundam (my second after the original compilation movies) and it's extremely good. Why is it so good?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0R42Xe-GKqU

I always felt G Gundam was one of the more underrated AU Gundams just because it's really different (i.e., awesome).

Bimmi posted:

Does CN promote their Gundam poo poo, like, at all? I remember back when SEED was running, and I never saw a single promo for it.

They haven't really promoted anything since Gundam Wing (which was the first one they ran, by the way). They did practically nothing for MSG (it never actually finished its NA run) and they did maybe a little bit for SEED.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The Gundam.Info youtube channel has been putting up the english dub version. I think they're into season 2 now.

Nice. Thanks for the tip.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Well, after watching Gundam 0080 a few years back and enjoying it, at the suggestion of a friend I'm watching my first full length Gundam series in... Gundam 00. The first season was interesting, with some major issues and stuff that was hard to take seriously (for one, character names). The second so far (eight episodes in) is... wow. On the one hand, it's certainly not boring. On the other literally everything else, and it abandons any sense of moral complexity, the A-LAWS are cartoonishly evil but not very interesting, Saji Crossroads has become the Harry Kim of Gundam 00 (poor, dumb Harry), and they have Soma Pierres, one of the few characters I was still invested in (mostly due to her and Smirnov being the guys I found the sanest and most likeable) basically killed by Allelujah shouting "MARIE!" until my ear drums bled. I also had to stop for a minute laughing when Sumeragi claimed that unlike Katharone, Celestial Being acted without an ideaology. Does anyone know where I can find in the archives the discussion on 00 S2 as it came out so I can see other SA poster's reactions?

Also, do Graham and Ali-Al Sanchez actually ever do anything in S2 beyond just showing up and leaving? (Well, apart from Ali developing the ability to hear discussions in other Mecha through the fourth wall.) Plus side, I'm watching with that friend next Turn A, which sounds a lot better.

gourdcaptain fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Mar 23, 2017

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

gourdcaptain posted:

Also, do Graham and Ali-Al Sanchez actually ever do anything in S2 beyond just showing up and leaving? (Well, apart from Ali developing the ability to hear discussions in other Mecha through the fourth wall.) Plus side, I'm watching with that friend next Turn A, which sounds a lot better.

They basically show up because there needs to be minibosses to fight.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

They basically show up because there needs to be minibosses to fight.

Yeah, I liked Graham in season 1 for the stuff with avenging his comrades, actually making the Gundams put up a fight, his weird list for the Gundams and generally being entertained by his antics. How you can give someone a ridiculous Mr. Bushido gimmick and make them and make them more boring is astounding. Ali is just amazing to hear his dub actor talk.

I think I'd respect Gundam 00 more if it ended after the first season on Celestial Being mostly wiping, Setsuna and Graham taking each other out, and an ambiguous political state on whether CB worked in the long run.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Graham is barely in S2, there is this ~Mistah Bushido~ guy but no idea who that is, no sir. :v:
The 00 movie for all its faults at least makes Graham cool again.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

LuiCypher posted:

I always felt G Gundam was one of the more underrated AU Gundams just because it's really different (i.e., awesome).

Tomino agrees!

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Personally, I love Turn A Gundam to death. My wife calls is 'Ghibi Gundam' because a lot of the juxtaposition of steam-age technology with extreme future tech, the unusual mechanical designs, and its hand-drawn quality.

Some people really balked at the Turn A's design, but I think it's one of the best Gundam designs out there.

gourdcaptain posted:

I think I'd respect Gundam 00 more if it ended after the first season on Celestial Being mostly wiping, Setsuna and Graham taking each other out, and an ambiguous political state on whether CB worked in the long run.

I feel like there were a lot of shows around that time that wanted to be really ambitious and did that S1/S2 timeskip thing and fell flat on their faces. Code Geass really comes to mind, as I detested R2 pretty much in its entirety.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Timeskips/spit seasons almost always suck because it gives the studio more time to meddle in affairs.

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

LuiCypher posted:

I feel like there were a lot of shows around that time that wanted to be really ambitious and did that S1/S2 timeskip thing and fell flat on their faces. Code Geass really comes to mind, as I detested R2 pretty much in its entirety.

Yeah, I saw Code Geass back when it was on and my reaction to the end of 00 S1 was "wait, is Sunrise doing the Code Geass season transition thing again?" This was then followed by a giant ridiculous orange I mean golden Mecha showing up out of nowhere, so yeah, I guess they did. And S2 is a R2 level trainwreck for me so far, and I'm going to go nuts from all the "quantum brain wave" bullshit when they've never even defined what that is agggh.

Other note: I kinda found S1 Lockon's end impossible to take seriously due to the endless Haro going "LOCKON! LOCKON!" over and over again.

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
I just came across some US Toonami Gundam Wing character promo materiel!

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
At least MSG and G had actual promo spots made, which I actually saw with my own eyes a few times while watching other shows. Never saw a single drat thing for SEED or any of the other Gundams, despite seeing endless promos for whatever other trash they were running on their anime blocks at the time.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

gourdcaptain posted:

Yeah, I saw Code Geass back when it was on and my reaction to the end of 00 S1 was "wait, is Sunrise doing the Code Geass season transition thing again?" This was then followed by a giant ridiculous orange I mean golden Mecha showing up out of nowhere, so yeah, I guess they did. And S2 is a R2 level trainwreck for me so far, and I'm going to go nuts from all the "quantum brain wave" bullshit when they've never even defined what that is agggh.

Other note: I kinda found S1 Lockon's end impossible to take seriously due to the endless Haro going "LOCKON! LOCKON!" over and over again.

Code Geass R2 broke my brain because up until a certain point, a lot of the improvements made to the Lancelot took time to implement. For example, the upgrade of the original Frame into its Conquista form took some amount of time. That seemed pretty realistic, and in keeping with how the show's universe worked.

Then the Guren Nishiki gets shot off of an airship, falls to the ocean, has a submarine fire a cruise missile with upgrade parts, intercepts it, and upgrades the Guren into a form able to match the Conquista before the Guren even touches the water.

I stopped watching after that.

MonsieurChoc posted:

Tomino agrees!

When did he do this?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Dunno about any sources on the matter but if there is an AU Tomino likes (or seen, for that matter) it probably would be the one directed by someone who worked on many of his shows.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
There should be a G Gundam series about the horse and only the horse.

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Timeskips/spit seasons almost always suck because it gives the studio more time to meddle in affairs.

In fact, IBO seems to be the first time a sequel series has ever worked out well since the original UC saga. Assuming it ends well, of course. It's one of those shows where even two episodes from the ending, it's not entirely clear what it's trying to say about all the stuff that's happening in it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Darth Walrus posted:

In fact, IBO seems to be the first time a sequel series has ever worked out well since the original UC saga. Assuming it ends well, of course. It's one of those shows where even two episodes from the ending, it's not entirely clear what it's trying to say about all the stuff that's happening in it.

Even IBO suffers from it I think. Season 2 meanders a lot before eventually slowly getting back to roughly the same place as Season 1's buildup. It's actually a problem Geass R2 had too but with more insanity and less basic competence. Both Geass and (barring a massive fuckup in the ending) IBO are shows where I think having one 30 episode series instead of 2 25 episode series would have made a way better product without actually losing much.