Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
As long as she she doesn't need to move her forehead, then by all means keep Ming-Na in the role.

Otherwise, Brenda Song just got (another) break of a lifetime.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

i've read on chinese rumour mills that people are actively advocating for Jing Tian of The Great Wall and Kong (and the upcoming Pacific Rim 2) NOT be Mulan. If you've watched any of these movies, you'll be surprised at how top billing she gets with her... uh, acting prowess.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

The Saddest Rhino posted:

i've read on chinese rumour mills that people are actively advocating for Jing Tian of The Great Wall and Kong (and the upcoming Pacific Rim 2) NOT be Mulan. If you've watched any of these movies, you'll be surprised at how top billing she gets with her... uh, acting prowess.

Apparently she's related to one of the owners of the Chinese studio that co-produces these movies.

HannibalBarca
Sep 11, 2016

History shows, again and again, how nature points out the folly of man.
Nepotism: not just a Western thing! :allears:

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Chloe Bennett would make sense I guess since she's basically been the real Mulan's protege for five years now.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.
Did anybody even care about Disney's Mulan? I was under the impression it was one of the more underwhelming movies at the tail- end of the golden period.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

Grendels Dad posted:

Did anybody even care about Disney's Mulan? I was under the impression it was one of the more underwhelming movies at the tail- end of the golden period.

It's well liked, and I'll Make a Man Out of You is popular beyond being a meme.

Also despite B&B making all the money, most of what I've been hearing is that's a mess.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Grendels Dad posted:

I will cut you

Mulan is immensely enjoyable

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Vegetable posted:

I will cut you

Mulan is immensely enjoyable

To be fair, my impression comes from its German release. I guess it was better received even here than say, Tarzan. But compared to Lion King and what have you it just didn't feel the same.

Decius
Oct 14, 2005

Ramrod XTreme

wyoming posted:

It's well liked, and I'll Make a Man Out of You is popular beyond being a meme.

Also despite B&B making all the money, most of what I've been hearing is that's a mess.

Mainly it is far too long. They stretched a well paced 84 min film to 129 min.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Looking at the movies that made up the Disney Renaissance, I had forgotten that The Rescuers Down Under even existed.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

QuoProQuid posted:

Looking at the movies that made up the Disney Renaissance, I had forgotten that The Rescuers Down Under even existed.

Cool villain, golden eagle, Australia, tolerable rodent people with cool bird pilot. Think I liked it better than the first one.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

syscall girl posted:

Cool villain, golden eagle, Australia, tolerable rodent people with cool bird pilot. Think I liked it better than the first one.

I don't remember much about it but I know I preferred it to the first one.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
How could you forget George C Scott? https://youtu.be/xPgTj46X5tg

I had that on vhs, great film. First one's good too but not as funny.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

QuoProQuid posted:

Katzenberg didn't like it and purposely sabotaged it's advertising campaign. When it initially under performed in theaters they asked for money to buy more ads and he responded by pulling it from theaters.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Disney has over a dozen live action remakes currently in production. Lion King, Aladdin and Dumbo will probably come out pretty soon and others include Peter Pan, The Little Mermaid, Pinocchio, Snow White and the Seven Dwarves and a 101 Dalmatians spinoff focusing on Cruella deVille.

Grendels Dad posted:

I wouldn't have thought that The Jungle Book was all that popular any more but the live action remake Disney put in theatres last year came just shy of making a billion dollars worldwide. But then again their Pete's Dragon live action remake didn't set the world on fire so they're not all record breakers.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

There was just a live action Pinocchio 20 years ago (not Disney), do we really need another one?

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yes. For all time forever.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Mulan killed hundreds of nomad dudes, possibly even a few thousand, most other princesses only have a body count of one if at all.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Casimir Radon posted:

There was just a live action Pinocchio 20 years ago (not Disney), do we really need another one?

Did that one have the songs?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

got any sevens posted:

Did that one have the songs?
No but it has an ex-Disney star who later became a pro-life whacko.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Casimir Radon posted:

Disney also made a live action TV movie in 2000 starring Drew Carey and Julia-Louis Dreyfus :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1los3Jz7lwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw7_U2vwsSw

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:51 on Mar 23, 2017

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Disney also made a live action TV movie in 2000 starring Drew Carey and Julia-Louis Dreyfus :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1los3Jz7lwU
I actually do remember this. The production design was interesting at least.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

With Jonathan Lipnicki as Pinocchio. Or Haley Joel Osmond. Or young Anakin Skywalker, something like that

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

I'm definitely not the target market for Disney stuff but I can see why they'd remake poo poo if it'll net them more cash. Are they just pretty much straight copies of the animated ones or do they differ?

Dissapointed Owl
Jan 30, 2008

You wrote me a letter,
and this is how it went:

Casimir Radon posted:

I agree, we should've stopped adapting this poo poo since 964 √PINOCCHIO.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

Does anyone remember Roberto Benigni's Pinocchio? Now that was a strange adaptation.

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I'm definitely not the target market for Disney stuff but I can see why they'd remake poo poo if it'll net them more cash. Are they just pretty much straight copies of the animated ones or do they differ?

Cinderella and The Jungle Book follow a lot of the same plot beats, though with a different execution, so they're essentially alternative takes on the same source material. Maleficent completely rewrites the premise of the original to turn the villain into a heroic figure. I haven't seen Beauty and the Beast, but from what I've heard, it's fairly close to the animated version with a few additional story elements.

Electromax
May 6, 2007
Mulan was always my favorite 90s Disney movie, Aladdin/Lion King/B&tB were so popular that I was trying to be cool by liking that and Hunchback when many of my peers did not (really liked the architecture and gothic vibe to the latter). The whole avalanche stampede part was too cool for a Disney cartoon.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
It's not Pinnochio without Roberto Benigni
In fact I'm sure a lot of the darkness our world is currently experiencing is a result of Roberto Benigni not getting screen time anymore
Johnny Stecchino Is a classic and better than Johnny Dangerously/insert any mob comedy
I miss him directing increasingly mediocre romantic odes to his wife

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Do you think maybe Disney is doing these remakes in an attempt to retcon the old, handdrawn style of animation out of existence? So, like, in the future they can leave all of their old animated movies in the vault forever, and they can still use the relevant IPs at Disney parks but pretend the new live action movies invented them? To head off questions from future children about why the old animated movies look different from the new animated movies?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

21 Muns posted:

Do you think maybe Disney is doing these remakes in an attempt to retcon the old, handdrawn style of animation out of existence? So, like, in the future they can leave all of their old animated movies in the vault forever, and they can still use the relevant IPs at Disney parks but pretend the new live action movies invented them? To head off questions from future children about why the old animated movies look different from the new animated movies?

No.

Theyre doing it for the absolute gobs of money it brings them while refreshing aging IPs to be used. All this vaulting and whatever is a side effect of making so much money that they can build a 1:1 replica of scrooge mcducks money vault.

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

The Saddest Rhino posted:

I haven't seen any of those yet, better or worse than Angelababy in ID4: Resurgence? Because Angelababy put in the single worst English-language performance I have ever heard in that movie (though I don't feel qualified to judge her Mandarin acting).

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Director Niki Caro is walking back the no songs in Mulan already

quote:

“I don’t know where that’s come from. We’ve never talked about songs, and no decision has been made.”

Just ignore it was Niki Caro who said there was no songs in the first place!

http://www.latimes.com/entertainment/movies/la-et-mn-mulan-songs-niki-caro-20170322-story.html

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Barudak posted:

No.

Theyre doing it for the absolute gobs of money it brings them while refreshing aging IPs to be used. All this vaulting and whatever is a side effect of making so much money that they can build a 1:1 replica of scrooge mcducks money vault.

Yeah Disney have always been searching for ways to squeeze more money out of their back catalogue of films. Their live action remakes aren't even anything new, they did live action remakes of The Jungle Book and 101 Dalmatians back in the mid 90s. They've also remade live action movies like Flubber, That Darn Cat!, Escape to Witch Mountain and Freaky Friday and adapted their park rides into movies like Country Bears and Haunted Mansion and some pirate thing.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I get why they’d give it no songs because Mulan is fundamentally a war film. The animation subverted it by making it a comedy. But live action would be a lot harder.

I just want it to be good. It’s a big deal, a big opportunity for Asian representation in Hollywood.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
It'd be neat if Disney reversed this trend and started making animated remakes of their old live action properties, like The Absentminded Professor (sorry but Flubber SUCKED, Robin Williams is great but that movie was fundamentally ill-conceived), 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and Old Yeller.

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

21 Muns posted:

It'd be neat if Disney reversed this trend and started making animated remakes of their old live action properties, like The Absentminded Professor (sorry but Flubber SUCKED, Robin Williams is great but that movie was fundamentally ill-conceived), 20,000 Leagues Under The Sea, and Old Yeller.

An animated 20,000 Leagues would rock!

Cockmaster
Feb 24, 2002

Casimir Radon posted:

Doubtful in this day in age. Moana had Pacific Islanders in all key roles. I guess Temura Morrison doesn't sing so some guy from Hamilton did that.

Plus I kind of doubt that they'd ever be dumb enough to throw away an opportunity to make the big bucks in China while everyone else is shamelessly pandering to them.

quote:

I hope they don't fly too close to the sun and try to do live action Poctahontas. That would be a loving disaster.

From what I've heard, it seems they almost flew too close to the sun with Beauty and the Beast - that drat near everything it got right was just copy-pasted from the animated movie.

At least with Mulan, the only fairy-tale stuff there is a few ghosts and a ferret-sized dragon. There's no reason it couldn't yield a respectable live-action movie if the creative control ends up with people who know what they're doing.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
Flubber v Herbie
start capitalizing on the shared universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

I want James Bond v Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, start bringing together the Flemingverse. Would Bond be able to save Truly Scrumptious?

• Locked thread