Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Spermgod posted:

if that were the case i'd worry about the outside interference and dudes spitting mist before the lighting lol

Sports entertainment is still sports, I guess.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

Indifferent. He was probably already pissed off with Delirious for loving over ACH, and they were going to host shows of their own in the US this year without ROH, so yeah, it doesn't particularly matter to them unless they can scoop up talent that definitely wouldn't be pushed by the WWE like Cheeseburger, ACH, Castle, Daniels, the Bucks, hopefully the Broken Hardys, and so on.

I thought Jeff wasn't allowed into Japan or is it just the UK?

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Baron Corbyn posted:

I thought Jeff wasn't allowed into Japan or is it just the UK?

Oh, I forgot about that. Probably Japan as well, yeah.

Food Court Druid
Jul 17, 2007

Boredom is always counter-revolutionary. Always.
Would the Young Bucks or Rocky be caught up in the purchase? Those are the only guys NJPW would really worry about losing.

Otherwise, I figure they'd just get another US indy (EVOLVE?) to affiliate with, or maybe set up their own American territory.

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Spermgod posted:

if that were the case i'd worry about the outside interference and dudes spitting mist before the lighting lol

lol yeah that red shoes guy was letting a lot of poo poo go.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

I joined the #RXT REVOLUTION.
:boom:
he knows...

Food Court Druid posted:

Would the Young Bucks or Rocky be caught up in the purchase? Those are the only guys NJPW would really worry about losing.

Otherwise, I figure they'd just get another US indy (EVOLVE?) to affiliate with, or maybe set up their own American territory.

Bring back the NWA brother.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

Food Court Druid posted:

Beretta too, mainly for Roppongi Vice.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

RPG Vice (or at least Rocky for sure) are under NJPW deals. Neither is signed to ROH. The dual contracted guys afaik would be Bucks and Ospreay, and everyone's basically assumed the latter's WWE bound anyway.

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008

VJeff posted:

I think I might be a Hirooki Goto mark now.

We're so sorry for you.

Demtor
Apr 23, 2008

"...you won't be able to walk, if you're always worried about crushing the ants beneath you..."
Naw, Goto is awesome. Good for you. I don't understand all of the hate on him lately. If you only cheer wrestlers who win constantly... then the WWE is made for you. I'm thinking that having a semi-believable mid-card threat is really hard for people to get behind.

handsome only face
Apr 22, 2010

Cockroach went out of the room in anger. And roach's go to empty room...

Cockroache's Anarchist

Demtor posted:

If you only cheer wrestlers who win constantly... then the WWE is made for you.

huh

MJeff
Jun 2, 2011

THE LIAR

Demtor posted:

If you only cheer wrestlers who win constantly... then the WWE is made for you.

Shows what you know, I'm also a Sami Zayn mark! :smug:

:smith:

unimportantguy
Dec 25, 2012

Hey, Johnny, what's a "shitpost"?
Goto has consistently been one of my favorites since I started watching NJPW regularly in 2013 or so. He's always intense, believable, and makes me really want him to succeed.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

pink wasn't even a thing why is t#RXT REVOLUTION~!
and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
:sludgepal:
he knows..
nobody wins constantly in WWE lol

Under the vegetable
Nov 2, 2004

by Smythe
at least one person in WWE has a very consistent win loss record.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/GCarroll77/status/845070648175157252

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Spermgod posted:

nobody wins constantly in WWE lol

I thought the whole thing with New Japan was that the entire roster operated on active duty Undertaker rules, under which the only losses that affect your standing are the ones you take on the larger PPVs

rovert
Jun 10, 2013
https://twitter.com/njpwglobal/status/845138094760214528

KungFu Grip
Jun 18, 2008
woof those NJPW tickets are pretty steep

sigmachiev
Dec 31, 2007

Fighting blood excels
I'm confused. The site has tiers up to Row 17, but the arena can hold 13,500. Has anyone been there and how does that compute? This sounds like they're setting up for a thousand people...

Prices don't surprise me and they'll sell out the expensive ones no problem, but again, seems like they're shooting for a way smaller house unless I'm totally mistaken on how the arena is set up.

rovert
Jun 10, 2013

sigmachiev posted:

I'm confused. The site has tiers up to Row 17, but the arena can hold 13,500. Has anyone been there and how does that compute? This sounds like they're setting up for a thousand people...

Prices don't surprise me and they'll sell out the expensive ones no problem, but again, seems like they're shooting for a way smaller house unless I'm totally mistaken on how the arena is set up.

Or they are conservative initially.

George Carroll is a meticulous details man I am sure there's very good reason.

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

and i'm so fucking excited for #SCOOPS#SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS #SCOOPS#SCOOPS
he knows..
1000 seats sounds like about the setup i expected them to use. aren't there other rooms they could use? i doubt they're using the big arena.

Spermgod fucked around with this message at 10:01 on Mar 24, 2017

SalTheBard
Jan 26, 2005

I forgot to post my food for USPOL Thanksgiving but that's okay too!

Fallen Rib

KungFu Grip posted:

woof those NJPW tickets are pretty steep

I'll be honest I don't think those prices are bad at all. In the last 3 weeks I've purchased tickets for:
WWE Raw (8th row floor) - $100 each
UFC on Fox 24 (21st row, 100 level) - $142 each
NXT (1st row) - $91 each

Granted NJPW isn't on the level that those promotions are, but still $150 for front row of a special event like that is not bad imho.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

I assumed ticket prices would be in line with Korakuen::

Ended up being closer to a big show like the upcoming Sakura Genesis in Sumo Hall:

Which is fine if we get a decent card. If it's just a goddamn Road to show lineup I might not bite with transportation expenses. I'm a bit skeptical since if they're giving us a really good card why not do the G1 for real as originally rumored?

Thauros fucked around with this message at 15:13 on Mar 24, 2017

Jubs
Jul 11, 2006

Boy, I think it's about time I tell you the difference between a man and a woman. A woman isn't a woman unless she's pretty. And a man isn't a man unless he's ugly.
You can't change the title on a G1 show.

And of course tickets are going to be high. Flying the whole roster in from Japan, getting visas and renting out a convention center isn't cheap.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

uploaded korakuen ticket prices twice by mistake, fixed now

Spermgod
Jan 8, 2012

he knows..
they were already renting out the convention center for the Bushiroad event there anyway. that's the whole reason it's there to begin with.

EugeneJ
Feb 5, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
A reminder that the Long Beach Convention Center was home to the 1992 WBF Championship

That's not a good omen

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

is there gonna be a bang dream show at the bushiroad event

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

hype for IWGP Heavyweight Champion Kenny Omega winning in the US

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Venomous posted:

Same

Imagine if it's against Shibata :swoon:

GEORGE W BUSHI
Jul 1, 2012

Venomous posted:

Same but IWGP Intercontinental Champion Juice Robinson.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
There used to be a list of iwgp title defenses, anyone have a link to it? I remember big Scott squashed Lodi on a WCW house show as one of his defenses.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

There used to be a list of iwgp title defenses, anyone have a link to it? I remember big Scott squashed Lodi on a WCW house show as one of his defenses.

https://www.cagematch.net/?id=5&nr=145&page=5&reign=23

For Big Scott himself.

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
I would ask why he didn't defend against someone legitimate like Benoit but I already know the answer is because WCW.

Ktik
Jul 10, 2004

Bigass Moth posted:

I would ask why he didn't defend against someone legitimate like Benoit but I already know the answer is because WCW.

Scot Norton was a nobody in WCW, essentially, where even Benoit as a midcarder was way, way, way above him. How could they have booked Benoit to lose to him?

Bigass Moth
Mar 6, 2004

he knows...
He wasn't used well but he was at least always protected if I remember correctly. Ok have him face Saturn or someone else at the mid card level.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

This is all fairly run of the mill Road to show stuff but if you're up it's still worth catching:

Road to Sakura Genesis
March 26th 2017 at 5:30 EST/10:30 BST
Korakuen Hall

Tomoyuki Oka vs. Bad Luck Fale
Liger, TMIV, and Hirai Kawato vs. Suzuki-gun (Iizuka, TAKA, and Desperado)
Ten-Cozy and Togi Makabe vs. War Machine and David Finlay
CHAOS (Goto, Jado, and Gedo) vs. Suzuki-gun (Suzuki, Taichi, and Kanemaru)
CHAOS (Ishii, YTR, and Beretta) vs. Bullet Club (Omega, Yujiro, and Chase Owens)
Tana, Juice, Nakanishi, KUSHIDA, and Taguchi vs. Los Ingobernables de Japon
CHAOS (Kazuchika Okada and YOSHI-HASHI) vs. Katsuyori Shibata and Yuji Nagata

Glass Punkbull 141
Jan 9, 2008

This is the face of a winner. This is what winning looks like.
Hey man I'm always down for my boy TAKA Michinoku.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

remusclaw
Dec 8, 2009

Jack Anderson posted:

Hey man I'm always down for my boy TAKA Michinoku.

Does he still do that crazy spaceman plancha?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bgPAMYGx8Zo
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SOSPQIOo9K4

• Locked thread