Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
I'm just waiting for the woke version of Song of the South.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Remulak posted:

Reappropriating Brer Rabbit wouldn't be hard to do at all.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

parallelodad posted:

I want James Bond v Chitty Chitty Bang Bang, start bringing together the Flemingverse. Would Bond be able to save Truly Scrumptious?

They've already got the template for the song.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrNeTRrX4Zs

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

8one6 posted:

An animated 20,000 Leagues would rock!

Atlantis was OK.

Skeletome
Feb 4, 2011

Tell them about the tournament!

Reverse Bedknobs and Broomsticks where the humans are animated and the cartoons are live action

Bar Crow
Oct 10, 2012
Rotoscope the live action versions of cartoons and release them again.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Cockmaster posted:

From what I've heard, it seems they almost flew too close to the sun with Beauty and the Beast - that drat near everything it got right was just copy-pasted from the animated movie.

At least with Mulan, the only fairy-tale stuff there is a few ghosts and a ferret-sized dragon. There's no reason it couldn't yield a respectable live-action movie if the creative control ends up with people who know what they're doing.
There isn't really a good way to handle Pocahontas since it deals with a heavily fictionalized version of real people, and specifically colonialism. They should have known better even in 1995. Katzenberg wanted to add a Native American to their princess stable and didn't stop to think of a good way to do this because he figured the Romeo and Juliet hook was good enough. He went as far as talking some pretty aggressive poo poo to the team working on The Lion King, basically telling them they were garbage and nobody would care about their movie. Then when it completely blew everyone away he started taking credit for it which is what finally got him forced out of Disney.

Now, ways to doom the Mulan live action movie:
1. Pay Eddie Murphy any multiple of a million dollars to reprise his role.

Remulak posted:

Coonskin already exists? Mind it's Bakshi's insane adaptation of the idea but it kind of fits.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

21 Muns posted:

Do you think maybe Disney is doing these remakes in an attempt to retcon the old, handdrawn style of animation out of existence? So, like, in the future they can leave all of their old animated movies in the vault forever, and they can still use the relevant IPs at Disney parks but pretend the new live action movies invented them? To head off questions from future children about why the old animated movies look different from the new animated movies?

No

They're doing it to make money

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Reappropriating Brer Rabbit wouldn't be hard to do at all.

I'm really surprised they haven't done something with it, Splash Mountain is a pretty big deal at the parks and everyone knows zip a dee doo dah even if they don't know it's origin.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Disney also made a live action TV movie in 2000 starring Drew Carey and Julia-Louis Dreyfus :ssh:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1los3Jz7lwU
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rw7_U2vwsSw

Holy poo poo, there must have been so much cocaine on that shoot

Just listen to Julia, oh man.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747
Animated Bedknobs and Broomsticks, capitalize on the Harry Potter train just in time for kids who grew up with it becoming parents.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant
I kind of thought they were on a Villain kick with Maleficent. But it looks like they couldn't pass up the easy money to make a live action B&B, instead of a live-action Gaston! film.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

FilthyImp posted:

I kind of thought they were on a Villain kick with Maleficent. But it looks like they couldn't pass up the easy money to make a live action B&B, instead of a live-action Gaston! film.

They haven't given up on the villain flicks, there's a Cruella film in the works. Emma Stone is currently set to star.

Edit: also a sequel to Maleficent

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Mar 24, 2017

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
https://twitter.com/PowerRangers/status/845037301046530049

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I hope Jason David Frank shows up as the green ranger.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

They haven't given up on the villain flicks, there's a Cruella film in the works. Emma Stone is currently set to star.

This is good to know, I'm honestly not very interested in Beauty and the Beast just because it looks like it's sticking very close to the movie. Maleficent was fun because it made a totally new story with the characters.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

teagone posted:

I hope Jason David Frank shows up as the green ranger.

I hope CM Punk shows up as the green ranger

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's a really neat effect how it looks both like the helmet it is and the classic staff.

wyoming
Jun 7, 2010

Like a television
tuned to a dead channel.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3k7inxMRLZA

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

I really want to see how/if they try to put a positive spin on a character who's single most defining trait is "I want to murder a whole loving lot of puppies for profit".

I've only seen a few bits and pieces of Maleficent but it looked like they turned her into some kind of anti-villainous underdog type and also she was leading a bunch of swamp creatures to war or something? Is that about right?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

MechanicalTomPetty posted:

I really want to see how/if they try to put a positive spin on a character who's single most defining trait is "I want to murder a whole loving lot of puppies for profit".

I've only seen a few bits and pieces of Maleficent but it looked like they turned her into some kind of anti-villainous underdog type and also she was leading a bunch of swamp creatures to war or something? Is that about right?
The 90s cartoon made her out to be a more complex character whose mind was hosed up by absentee parents who never got her a puppy. That's probably as much as you could do with it.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

That cartoon was weird. They went and moved into a farm, but still worked for Cruella? I haven't seen it since it aired.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

They turned Maleficent's into a date raped woman seeking retribution and learning not to blame her rapist's daughter.

It's really good

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Barudak posted:

No.

Theyre doing it for the absolute gobs of money it brings them while refreshing aging IPs to be used. All this vaulting and whatever is a side effect of making so much money that they can build a 1:1 replica of scrooge mcducks money vault.

Do you think there's a lot of Scrooge decor in Disney's accounting department, or would they be worried about sending the wrong signal? Or maybe accountants don't like decoration?

I disliked Mulan's culture so much I was hoping the Huns would wipe them out. Not that they're more progressive, I'm just not expected to like them.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Beachcomber posted:

Do you think there's a lot of Scrooge decor in Disney's accounting department, or would they be worried about sending the wrong signal? Or maybe accountants don't like decoration?

Nah its in the executive offices where the C-Suite sings the song Hellfire but about intellectual properties theyve yet to own.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Amy Schumer is no longer Barbie

quote:

“Sadly, I’m no longer able to commit to Barbie due to scheduling conflicts,” the actress said in a statement to Variety. “The film has so much promise, and Sony and Mattel have been great partners. I’m bummed, but look forward to seeing Barbie on the big screen.”

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/amy-schumer-barbie-1202015233/

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

DeimosRising posted:

Is it really that insane? The top 19 opening weekends are all in the last decade. 6 of the top 10 are in the last two years. Like, long "weekends", inflation, and an increased theatre count/population growth virtually ensure these records will be "broken" regularly. I don't think, a few years later, anyone considers Jurassic World or Iron Man 3 significant moments in cinema history, irrespective of quality.

If nothing else it's slightly crazy to think that (assuming every ticket cost $20) 20 million people saw this movie in four days. That's a lot of people filling a lot of theaters in a short amount of time.

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

I haven't seen any of those yet, better or worse than Angelababy in ID4: Resurgence? Because Angelababy put in the single worst English-language performance I have ever heard in that movie (though I don't feel qualified to judge her Mandarin acting).

From what I heard, worse, but I didn't watch enough of ID4 to confirm. The chinese internet sphere are p brutal against Jing Tian's performance in both the English & Chinese language, and I wish i could locate the video of a Chinese/Taiwanese online critic calling her the new 8th wonder of the world for being "able to land so many great roles yet has zero acting skills"

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Saddest Rhino posted:

From what I heard, worse, but I didn't watch enough of ID4 to confirm. The chinese internet sphere are p brutal against Jing Tian's performance in both the English & Chinese language, and I wish i could locate the video of a Chinese/Taiwanese online critic calling her the new 8th wonder of the world for being "able to land so many great roles yet has zero acting skills"

Her recent TV shows confirm she is a dull actress. Her breakout role is her being "ok"

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...

cyberia posted:

If nothing else it's slightly crazy to think that (assuming every ticket cost $20) 20 million people saw this movie in four days. That's a lot of people filling a lot of theaters in a short amount of time.

Where the gently caress tickets cost 20 dollars?

Barudak
May 7, 2007

FishBulb posted:

New York/LA, especially if youre paying for 3D.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
They should remake Master of the World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJruGxyHBE

cyberia
Jun 24, 2011

Do not call me that!
Snuffles was my slave name.
You shall now call me Snowball; because my fur is pretty and white.

FishBulb posted:

:australia:

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

MonsieurChoc posted:

They should remake Master of the World.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AsJruGxyHBE

There's a lot of Price movies that feel like they could be remade today and still be relevant. Master Of The World could be remade as a steampunk-styled movie or set in the modern day, with Robur being some Elon Musk character who has stopped being a businessman and become a supervillain. I've said that the Dr. Phibes movies could have been remade during the Saw era and probably be successful.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

FishBulb posted:

As someone said, 3D, Dolby Atmos, IMAX Laser, DBox and premium theatre rooms (with fancy chairs, to seat food delivery and stuff) easily run up there. There's also a chain called iPic Theatres which are supposed to be premium bullshit as gently caress, and I think their tickets are base 25-35.

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

The easiest way to make a villain appear heroic is by having them fight an even more horrible person.

Tiriganiaq
Feb 21, 2012
Evil puppies.

CopywrightMMXI
Jun 1, 2011

One time a guy stole some downhill skis out of my jeep and I was so mad I punched a mailbox. I'm against crime, and I'm not ashamed to admit it.
D-Box (shaking) seats at the Cineplex chain are $22.50. Cineplex also has a $40 super ticket that includes a digital copy of the movie when it's released.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Tiriganiaq posted:

Evil puppies.

Hitler's dog.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Syncopated
Oct 21, 2010

Cockmaster posted:

Plus I kind of doubt that they'd ever be dumb enough to throw away an opportunity to make the big bucks in China while everyone else is shamelessly pandering to them.

From what I've heard, it seems they almost flew too close to the sun with Beauty and the Beast - that drat near everything it got right was just copy-pasted from the animated movie.

At least with Mulan, the only fairy-tale stuff there is a few ghosts and a ferret-sized dragon. There's no reason it couldn't yield a respectable live-action movie if the creative control ends up with people who know what they're doing.

You can't do ghosts if you want to release it in China.

• Locked thread