Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

That Works
Jul 22, 2006

Every revolution evaporates and leaves behind only the slime of a new bureaucracy

Home fries lightly mashed into re fried beans and some gooey cheddar is a pretty rad breakfast taco.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Hauki posted:

Anyone have some good jamaican recipes or resources? I've been trying a few new things this week like pepper pot, rice and peas, miscellaneous braised and stewed vegetable things, they all taste good, but they don't physically resemble the pictures accompanying the recipes I've been using at all. My only real substitution has been using habaneros because I can't find fresh scotch bonnets on short notice. I also don't really have much to compare it to, there aren't any Jamaican restaurants etc. around here. The only thing I've seen are half assed versions of jerk <protein> jammed in where they're conspicuously out of place.

http://www.jamaicatravelandculture.com/food_and_drink/curried_goat.htm
a bunch of Jamaican twitter users recommended this site to me when I asked for a curried goat recipe. i also have nothing to compare it to but it was really tasty

also the web design is a major blast from the past, which is fun

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

This is the curry powder to use:
https://www.amazon.com/Blue-Mountain-Country-Jamaican-Powder/dp/B01MYBOGMI/

That's the Restaurant Depot 5-pound jug, you can also buy it in smaller containers.

rgocs
Nov 9, 2011

That Works posted:

Home fries lightly mashed into re fried beans and some gooey cheddar is a pretty rad breakfast taco.

Refried beans, gooey cheese, breakfast? You should eat some molletes: baguette cut in half (bolillo if you have), slather with refried beans, optional ham or cooked chorizo, top with cheese, broil. At the table, add avocado slices and salsa on top. Yum!

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
I was craving elotes something terrible, so I just whipped myself up a lovely lunch. I took some defrosted corn kernels, fried it off in bacon and duck dripping, added spices, then some mayo and crumbly queso blanco. Served over brown rice. Not a bad little lunch, I must say. And leftovers to bring to work.

Soon the cornpocolypse will be upon us and fresh cheap ears will be on the grill every night. But until then...

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

OMGVBFLOL posted:

a bunch of Jamaican twitter users recommended this site to me when I asked for a curried goat recipe. i also have nothing to compare it to but it was really tasty

London's got a big Caribbean community. There's a Jamaican takeaway place near me from which I get awesome curry goat, rice and peas (with plenty gravy) pretty often for lunch. So good. Pretty cheap too.

The Midniter
Jul 9, 2001

therattle posted:

London's got a big Caribbean community. There's a Jamaican takeaway place near me from which I get awesome curry goat, rice and peas (with plenty gravy) pretty often for lunch. So good. Pretty cheap too.

Is all goat bony? I love it, but I've never had it prepared in a way that wasn't full of little bones.

Disclaimer: the only cuisines from which I've had goat are Indian and Ethiopian. I've never cooked it (or even seen it available for sale) myself.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I have had goat ribs, there were rib bones. There are many similar bones in goats as other animals.

Ben Nevis
Jan 20, 2011

The Midniter posted:

Is all goat bony? I love it, but I've never had it prepared in a way that wasn't full of little bones.

Disclaimer: the only cuisines from which I've had goat are Indian and Ethiopian. I've never cooked it (or even seen it available for sale) myself.

There's at least one Indian place here that does a boneless goat curry. I don't know if they're picking a different muscle or deboning it or what. The halal butcher seems to only sell bony cubes though.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.

The Midniter posted:

If your taqueria/supermercado/carniceria/whatever doesn't have chivo you're going to the wrong taqueria/supermercado/carniceria/whatever.

DPM
Feb 23, 2015

TAKE ME HOME
I'LL CHECK YA BUM FOR GRUBS

The Midniter posted:

If you can, get Goat Backstrap. It's boneless although you do have to make sure all the Silver is really seriously trimmed off it before you start cooking. AFAIK it's also the best goat cut so it can be a little pricey.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

I was thinking of starting a thread for collecting weekday dinner recipes, the kind where you're at the grocery store on a Sunday wondering what you need to get and that you don't feel like thinking too hard, so you fall back on. I've ended up in a position where I'm almost always cooking for myself, but I still haven't figured out a routine or a set of staples to stick to, and I'd really like to know what everyone else does for braindead weekday food. Is there any interest in a thread like that?

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Some topics fall on their rear end others don't seemingly at random and there are no mods to gas so only one way to see.

CommonShore
Jun 6, 2014

A true renaissance man

Pollyanna posted:

I was thinking of starting a thread for collecting weekday dinner recipes, the kind where you're at the grocery store on a Sunday wondering what you need to get and that you don't feel like thinking too hard, so you fall back on. I've ended up in a position where I'm almost always cooking for myself, but I still haven't figured out a routine or a set of staples to stick to, and I'd really like to know what everyone else does for braindead weekday food. Is there any interest in a thread like that?

I cook like that and have that problem. I'll at least bookmark the thread.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

OMGVBFLOL posted:

Cool thanks, I looked at that website at one point but I guess dismissed it because of the awesome 90s design. Really though, I think I just spaced it when I went back to look for recipes more recently.

sweat poteto
Feb 16, 2006

Everybody's gotta learn sometime

Squashy Nipples posted:

I hate french fries in ANY sandwhich.

I wouldn't add fries to a sandwich but a chip butty is a glorious thing.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004

DumbparameciuM posted:

If you can, get Goat Backstrap. It's boneless although you do have to make sure all the Silver is really seriously trimmed off it before you start cooking. AFAIK it's also the best goat cut so it can be a little pricey.

Backstrap=tenderloin

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

can i have this without bones in it? also please make airplane noises as you spoon-feed me

Mr. Wiggles
Dec 1, 2003

We are all drinking from the highball glass of ideology.
Yes. Also look for goat chops - these will just have the one bone on the side, which you can trim off very easily and keep for stock.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

The Midniter posted:

Don't know if all is bony (would assume not( but this curry uses stewing meat which is indeed quite bony.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

mindphlux posted:

I did my masters program in Brighton, and I was really disappointed by british fish and chips.

I loving love fish and chips, but there was like only one or two places in town that actually did it well and didn't have their poo poo all soggy.

on the other hand, I discovered the magic that is a battered sausage. jesus christ battered sausages are the loving bomb. extra pickled onions plz, a 2l bottle of strongbow, and I'm ready to FIGHT

also mushy peas are strangely good.

Fish and chips is rarely gotten right. All too often it's just a lump of congealed potato chunks and crappily battered, flavourless white fish. If it's done right though it is glorious. Mushy peas are pretty much easy to get right and I suspect most chippy's will get it pre-made anyway. Curry sauce is the kind condiment at a chippy though. Tub of that and some large sausages and I'll cram it all into whatever goddamn orifice it'll go in.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

sweat poteto posted:

I wouldn't add fries to a sandwich but a chip butty is a glorious thing.

Sorry, that's disgusting. Any totally unsatisfying? Almost no protein. Looks like the kind of thing a fat vegan would eat.

Also, just between you and me... chips and french fries are the same thing!

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Although, I can admit that malt vinegar is a vastly superior condiment for fried potatoes.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

I'll take it a step further and say mustard

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

Squashy Nipples posted:

Sorry, that's disgusting. Any totally unsatisfying? Almost no protein. Looks like the kind of thing a fat vegan would eat.

you know you can have snacks without min/maxing your macros right

Elizabethan Error
May 18, 2006

Squashy Nipples posted:

:frogout:

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Squashy Nipples posted:

Although, I can admit that malt vinegar is a vastly superior condiment for fried potatoes.

Malt vinegar AND a little mayonnaise.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR
Here's a new and exciting use for a sous vide circulator. Warming up hypothermic baby goats! https://imgur.com/0fIqPeF

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up

Suspect Bucket posted:

Here's a new and exciting use for a sous vide circulator. Warming up hypothermic baby goats! https://imgur.com/0fIqPeF

The baby goat is in the danger zone

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
To an American, chip buttys sound loving stupid. After trying one, they're one of my favorite sloppy sandwiches.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

vermin posted:

The baby goat is in the danger zone

GWS Geneal Chat: The baby goat is in the danger zone

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
...ride into the danger zone.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Suspect Bucket posted:

I gotta get into that facebook group.

edit: no seriously where is that image from

Discendo Vox fucked around with this message at 08:43 on Mar 26, 2017

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Squashy Nipples posted:

Not over here. French fries means McDonald's style, chips means what you call steak fries :colbert:
Proper chips are cooked in beef drippings, too.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

hey remember when i posted this

OMGVBFLOL posted:

i just impulse-bought a pre-cooked 24lb ham because it was $0.99/lb

what the hell do i do with it

edit: i started by putting it in the fridge but then i ran out of ideas. give me ham ideas

well my horrific image-heavy thread is up

Suspect Bucket
Jan 15, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Discendo Vox posted:

I gotta get into that facebook group.

edit: no seriously where is that image from

It's a group called Goat Vet Corner. But there's a looootttttt of pictures of stuff hanging out of goat assholes, or goats with horrific wounds, and very few cute goat pictures.

Discendo Vox
Mar 21, 2013
Probation
Can't post for 3 hours!

Suspect Bucket posted:

It's a group called Goat Vet Corner. But there's a looootttttt of pictures of stuff hanging out of goat assholes, or goats with horrific wounds, and very few cute goat pictures.

Thank you for your warning. I only want cute or delicious goat images.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

springtime: tis the season for large animal vets to deal with things hanging off the back end of herbivores

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Suspect Bucket posted:

what's that? whoops how did that get on 185 goddamnit :( :( :(

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich

Fo3 posted:

Yeah, precorned silverside is the cheapest beef you can buy in Australia, usually $8/kg. (brisket is the second cheapest at $9/kg)

I have tried a pastrami recipe for it once, but it's a bit ridiculous with 10hrs cooking time in the oven or smoker according to the recipe. So I've only done it once.
Recipe is basically soak it in the fridge for 24hrs doing many water changes to get some of the salt out.
Brown it. Rub it in mustard, salt, pepper, brown sugar and fish sauce mixture, bake in foil in an oven at 90C, or uncovered in a smoker at 100C for ridiculous amount for time.

E: https://cooking.nytimes.com/recipes/1015717-danny-bowiens-pastrami

lemme simplify that recipe for you :

• buy corned beef
  • rinse it
  • rub it with black pepper, brown sugar, garlic, paprika, coriander, powdered mustard, and a little salt
  • bbq it for an hour uncovered @ ~250-300F deg in a smoker to get a good crust/bark
  • wrap it in foil, cook another hour or two over more direct heat until steamy and fork tender. optional - cook uncovered a while to firm back up the bark.
  • done