Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Mecha Gojira posted:

Same. Plus his dad/creator is Miles Dyson.

The bits of Cyborg during his transformation in BvS are literally built from pieces of a Terminator model.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Wonder what happened with Flash before he invented a wildly expensive looking tech suit to harness his powers. Was he just running so fast he was bumping into things, then realized he needed armor? Did the electricity get all over his body and make his hair stand up and skin itch so he made conductivity wires? Were bugs smashing into his face so he needed to make a nice thick helmet?

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

feedmyleg posted:

Wonder what happened with Flash before he invented a wildly expensive looking tech suit to harness his powers. Was he just running so fast he was bumping into things, then realized he needed armor? Did the electricity get all over his body and make his hair stand up and skin itch so he made conductivity wires? Were bugs smashing into his face so he needed to make a nice thick helmet?

My feeling is that because it looks like a video game man suit, it is telegraphing that the Flash is a geek.

Namaste
May 5, 2007
good news for people who love bald news

LORD OF BOOTY posted:

One thing that blows my mind is how completely insane the powers in the DC universe are.

[stuff]

And that, ladies and gentlemen, is why Wolverine sucks cock and should go die in a freak greasefire.

:psyduck:

Also, yeah, Cyborg looks good to me. People calling him "the thing off an ATI Radeon box" need to chill. Cyborg was only ever a dude with a human face and a robot body, and I feel like all I ever read is "why is Cyborg in this movie lol," so I don't get where the line falls between people who hate him and hate how he looks here.

Dexo
Aug 15, 2009

A city that was to live by night after the wilderness had passed. A city that was to forge out of steel and blood-red neon its own peculiar wilderness.
So I guess that's not an instant ban anymore?

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007

Dexo posted:

So I guess that's not an instant ban anymore?

it felt like an appropriate time and place for that post

Vintersorg
Mar 3, 2004

President of
the Brendan Fraser
Fan Club

Ain't it cool news is leaking?

Aces High
Mar 26, 2010

Nah! A little chocolate will do

dont even fink about it posted:

My feeling is that because it looks like a video game man suit, it is telegraphing that the Flash is a geek.

and him watching Rick & Morty when Batfleck comes to visit is just icing on that cake.

Also how old is goesfast.txt?

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

a big awkward out of the gate.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

That is some good distortion and ghosting effect.

Director of Zombieland could direct Archer & Armstrong.
http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/zombieland-director-tackle-action-comedy-archer-armstrong-valiant-988435?utm_source=twitter

The Cameo
Jan 20, 2005

I like how the electricity as he "warms up" conducts the logo so it lights up.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
And the little rainbows from the light. :allears:

net cafe scandal
Mar 18, 2011

Drifter posted:

a big awkward out of the gate.

Snyder is so good

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

MacheteZombie posted:

I like that the flash suit is made out of materials similar to spacecraft materials and think the cords look cool. I know I'm probably alone here.

No I love it too, his suit being made out of heat shields and grounding wire is pretty great.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

I've been a Flash fan since I was like 5 years old y'all have no idea how psyched I am. All hail Snyder IMO

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

I'm currently defending Man of Steel in the BSS movie thread. Again. Haha.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

teagone posted:

Dude, you get internet saint points for even trying. BSS is so far through the looking glass when it comes to movies/TV, they're exactly what they claim to hate about every other comic fan collective. I've seen fairer discussions about BvS on reddit.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat

teagone posted:

Man of Steel had a lot of good things on paper thanks to the Goyer/Nolan script. Superman understanding what it was like to be autistic, Jonathan Kent telling Clark not to stick his neck out for anyone while seemingly contradicting himself by getting killed saving the dog... that's some good screenwriting poo poo.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

Steve Yun posted:

Man of Steel had a lot of good things on paper thanks to the Goyer/Nolan script. Superman understanding what it was like to be autistic, Jonathan Kent telling Clark not to stick his neck out for anyone while seemingly contradicting himself by getting killed saving the dog... that's some good screenwriting poo poo.

I still think one of the great encaspulating dialogs in MoS that showed just how human everyone was was when Jonathan Kent and Clark were talking abotu the bus and they were all "should I have just let them die, then?" "*exasperated* Maybe, but there's more at stake than our lives and those around us blah blah blah..."

It just spoke of all the ingrained fears and insecurities of humanity and just a dad/dude who was flailing for an answer that he didn't know how to give.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Drifter posted:

I still think one of the great encaspulating dialogs in MoS that showed just how human everyone was was when Jonathan Kent and Clark were talking abotu the bus and they were all "should I have just let them die, then?" "*exasperated* Maybe, but there's more at stake than our lives and those around us blah blah blah..."

It just spoke of all the ingrained fears and insecurities of humanity and just a dad/dude who was flailing for an answer that he didn't know how to give.

MoS and BvS takes a bunch of narrative tensions that have been underwriting the Superman myth pretty much since its inception and extrapolates them to their breaking point. Superman has a need to protect his secret identity (and by extension protect his family and loved ones) but that often interferes with his drive to save people, that's always been a constant. Superman has values that he holds above all else but Batman has different values. Superman is capable of massive destruction and always has to be super careful around regular humans. Superman never kills and he always figures out some other way of solving problems. Those aspects of his character have become so familiar to fans that they're usually given the barest lip service and often passed over as a joke because we've been reading about him dealing with those exact same issues for 79 years now and there really wasn't any way of putting a fresh spin on them without somehow breaking the character. In MoS and BvS they decided not to tiptoe around these points but instead asked "But what if Superman wasn't given a convenient way out of these dilemmas? What if he was actually forced to make a choice?"

And that's an entirely defensible move for a director to make when taking on such a familiar character. Whether or not they addressed those choices sufficiently is a different question.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Steve Yun posted:

Funnily enough, a handful of goons are discussing the Pa Kent death scene in the BSS thread at the moment.

Cythereal
Nov 8, 2009

I love the potoo,
and the potoo loves you.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

MoS and BvS takes a bunch of narrative tensions that have been underwriting the Superman myth pretty much since its inception and extrapolates them to their breaking point. Superman has a need to protect his secret identity (and by extension protect his family and loved ones) but that often interferes with his drive to save people, that's always been a constant. Superman has values that he holds above all else but Batman has different values. Superman is capable of massive destruction and always has to be super careful around regular humans. Superman never kills and he always figures out some other way of solving problems. Those aspects of his character have become so familiar to fans that they're usually given the barest lip service and often passed over as a joke because we've been reading about him dealing with those exact same issues for 79 years now and there really wasn't any way of putting a fresh spin on them without somehow breaking the character. In MoS and BvS they decided not to tiptoe around these points but instead asked "But what if Superman wasn't given a convenient way out of these dilemmas? What if he was actually forced to make a choice?"

And that's an entirely defensible move for a director to make when taking on such a familiar character. Whether or not they addressed those choices sufficiently is a different question.

I think it's the same kind of thing that occupied the first half of The First Avenger. It's the resident red-white-and-blue boy scout of the setting they're building, and they want to build up and make the audience accept that yes, this guy really is just that good and decent a person and there's nothing corny about it. I think that's warranted, especially when they're usually contrasting with much more cynical characters like Iron Man and Batman.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Drifter posted:

Yeah, I'll take Superman: The Movie over any other Superman film, but that line and specifically Costner's delivery is maybe my favourite moment from any of the movies.

DC Murderverse
Nov 10, 2016

"Tell that to Zod's snapped neck!"

LesterGroans posted:

Yeah, I'll take Superman: The Movie over any other Superman film, but that line and specifically Costner's delivery is maybe my favourite moment from any of the movies.

It's kind of like Peter Parker's dancing down the street in Spider-Man 3 in the realm of things that, on their face seem really dumb, but if you take like, 10 seconds to think about them, they're not. If someone tells you "but Superman's dad told him he shouldn't save drowning people!" or "Spider-Man danced down the street like an awkward weirdo" you think "oh that sounds dumb,'" but when you watch the scenes it comes together.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

DC Murderverse posted:

It's kind of like Peter Parker's dancing down the street in Spider-Man 3 in the realm of things that, on their face seem really dumb, but if you take like, 10 seconds to think about them, they're not. If someone tells you "but Superman's dad told him he shouldn't save drowning people!" or "Spider-Man danced down the street like an awkward weirdo" you think "oh that sounds dumb,'" but when you watch the scenes it comes together.

Lots of people hated both though because they couldn't conceive of known hick farmer Pa Kent not being all knowing or known dweeb rear end in a top hat Peter Parker being a dweeby rear end in a top hat

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

teagone posted:

Outside of like, a hardcore DC forum, this place(CD) is one of the few that LOVES BvS and MoS. Why do you need to defend it? The fans are right here and all agree with you?

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

Outside of like, a hardcore DC forum, this place(CD) is one of the few that LOVES BvS and MoS. Why do you need to defend it? The fans are right here and all agree with you?

Presumably because he disagreed with an opinion and -- I assume -- BSS is a forum for discussion too.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

So come on over here and post some screenshots yo! Movie's so goddamn over argued across the internet, I just don't know what else there is to say about it.

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

CelticPredator posted:

So come on over here and post some screenshots yo! Movie's so goddamn over argued across the internet, I just don't know what else there is to say about it.

I mean, I'd say it's over-argued here because, like you said, there's a a larger number of BvS and MoS fans, but I don't know what the BSS movie thread is like.

I agree that they should post some screenshots though. I love screenshots.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
My favorite BVS and MOS argument is the one where people now say "well alright, he makes pretty pictures. but they don't mean anything or make sense!" How do you watch something like Blade Runner without someone telling you what it's about?

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

My favorite BVS and MOS argument is the one where people now say "well alright, he makes pretty pictures. but they don't mean anything or make sense!" How do you watch something like Blade Runner without someone telling you what it's about?

Actually had this argument with someone in real life about these movies. The guy kept telling me the images were contradictory and meaningless, and then told me that he'd worked with Zack Snyder and thinks he's a pretentious meat head.

He thinks Superman is fascist and represents the military despite the fact that, you know, that's Zod's whole bag. So I just think he came into the movie with preconceived notions, and let them confuse his reading of the film. At the end of the day that's the only reason I can figure out the sheer hate for these movies because they're otherwise gorgeous and really straightforward.

Brother Entropy
Dec 27, 2009

i wonder if there's some overlap there with the tactical realism phenomenon, there's stuff in snyder's dc films like superman contemplating the unforseen consequences of helping people expressed to the audience as him having a talk with his dead father that feels very high drama(for lack of a better term) in a way that clashes with the 'i want to pretend like i am looking into the window of a world that actually exists' mentality

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
The thing where you look into a fictional world and it's like Bug Jack Barron, where there is still cable TV and terrorism and stuff like people dying of easily treatable diseases, it's profoundly disturbing. Escapism has become utopia.

McCloud
Oct 27, 2005

I don't get it, anytime you mention that maybe BvS isn't a bad movie they get into a frenzy. For all their talk about CineD being a hivemind, they get pissed when you disagree with them.

Mecha Gojira
Jun 23, 2006

Jack Nissan
I just think there must have been something to that movie if it elicits such an immediate and visceral response. It definitely isn't meaningless if it touches a nerve that badly. And I don't even mean that from just the "ideological nerd" group either. This response comes from all kinds of people.

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Because Blade Runner has an air of respectability about it (at least now it does) whereas BvS and MoS are both currently seen as low ranking pulpy comic book movies. So its easy to see one as a well crafted masterpiece thats worth analysing, and the other is just something easily dismissed with some pithy comments.

Chieves
Sep 20, 2010

Overall, Snyder does seem really ahead of his time/ underappreciated in his own time. Blade Runner was really polarizing at it's own release as well. I've also seen more and more people coming around to recognize and appreciate Watchmen in retrospective.

...Haven't seen people defend Sucker Punch, however, so that one just might be a turd. :v:

BravestOfTheLamps
Oct 12, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Lipstick Apathy
MoS and BvS don't offer the kind of fantasies people are accustomed to in their superhero movies post-Iron Man. For example, the way Pa Kent chooses to die is such an over-the-top gesture of ethical conviction that it infuriates people to no end. It's illogical, not tactically sound, and completely trashes the conventional sense of empowerment superheroes represent. Thus you get the embarrassingly transparent feelings of betrayal nerds display when discussing the scene, losing their paternal figure so terribly.

BvS was also too realistic in retrospect. The fact that a self-destructive lunatic won is unacceptable, because his character "doesn't make sense" and is too irrational.

BravestOfTheLamps fucked around with this message at 15:33 on Mar 25, 2017

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours
This comes up a lot especially around John Carpenter, where people act like for some reason he's always been this respected filmmaker. He deliberately made films in the mold of the inner-city grindhouse (best example being Big Trouble In Little China) and was treated accordingly. He had to be rehabilitated and reevaluated, just like Verhofen, Hitchcock, Wes Craven, etc.

Chieves posted:

Blade Runner was really polarizing at it's own release as well.

Seriously, I encourage people to go back and read contemporary reviews of now beloved films like Blade Runner, Halloween and the like.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD fucked around with this message at 15:32 on Mar 25, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

Chieves posted:

...Haven't seen people defend Sucker Punch, however, so that one just might be a turd. :v:

I've yet to watch it, but any movie that has Oscar Isaac and Carla Gugino performing "Love Is The Drug" can't be bad.

• Locked thread