Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Stuck on the stupid Mantis boss in hard mode Ys Origin, I hate bosses that heal themselves after you think you've beaten them.
On the other hand I've only even gotten to that point once so far :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Atlas announcements today, a remake of Strange Journey of all things and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 :/

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

Sakurazuka posted:

Atlas announcements today, a remake of Strange Journey of all things and Etrian Mystery Dungeon 2 :/

That's awesome, I've heard Strange Journey is an amazing game but I never played it myself

Sunning
Sep 14, 2011
Nintendo Guru

mutata posted:

Apparently it's the same engine and everything. You can watch replays and switch graphics from old to new on the fly and play with original version players. Kinda neat!

You have cross-play between Remastered and non-Remastered players.

It looks like the voice acting and music will be re-recorded. Zeratul's original voice actor died so they might use his new VA.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

Oh no oh god it's all true!

In Training posted:

That's awesome, I've heard Strange Journey is an amazing game but I never played it myself

You fuckin heard wrong

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

In Training posted:

corn in the bible posted:

You fuckin heard wrong

Help Im Alive
Nov 8, 2009

It's fun

In Training
Jun 28, 2008

That looks fun to me

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
SJ is good, it's just...you have to have some determination/commitment to get through some of the floors.

Klaus Kinski
Nov 26, 2007
Der Klaus
The etrian remakes improved the games a lot apart from some lovely design choices.

We are allowed to believe :downs:

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=of3GPiGOe50

exquisite tea
Apr 21, 2007

Carly shook her glass, willing the ice to melt. "You still haven't told me what the mission is."

She leaned forward. "We are going to assassinate the bad men of Hollywood."

New Andromeda DLC lookin good.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

In Training posted:

Yeah I'm actually way into a remake of Strange Journey with some of the improvements from the newer Etrian games.

I'm assuming 3DS?

raditts
Feb 21, 2001

The Kwanzaa Bot is here to protect me.

The Colonel posted:

incredible game design idea of zelda 2: let the player get all the way to the last two palaces before saying "oh by the way if you missed any of those four magic containers have fun walking all the way back to pick them up so you can get the only magic in the game that lets you defeat the penultimate boss"

i don't think i'm going to finish zelda 2

Like I said, Zelda 2 is poo poo

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem

exquisite tea posted:

There's the ancient robot alien race but that's it. And surprise, the lumpy bad guys are just corrupted pink good guys.

Ahahaha. I though Chris Metzen had retired but I guess he just went to work for Bioware instead.

No. 1 Callie Fan
Feb 17, 2011

This inkling is your FRIEND
She fights for LOVE

Bestest PS4 release right here. :v:

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

hi everyone

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x-lxk_Tw0d4

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

I think that game is made by the DEMON RUSH guy

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

I don't get it

Then again, I like Etrian Odyssey so...

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't get it

I don't remember exactly how it works, but those numbers in the upper left are teleporters and most of them send you back to start.

Poops Mcgoots
Jul 12, 2010

Mordja posted:

Ahahaha. I though Chris Metzen had retired but I guess he just went to work for Bioware instead.

If they're ripping anyone off, they're ripping off the Borg. Only the basic grunts for the Kett seem to be made from the Angara. This is actually foreshadowed a bit in that you can find non-Kett versions of the more animal units they use wandering around on some of the planets. And a lot of the special enemy types don't really look like any species in the Heleus cluster at all, which further lends credence to the idea that there's more space-faring species in the rest of Andromeda.

lets hang out
Jan 10, 2015

Teleport mazes are fun

an actual dog
Nov 18, 2014

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6kXOfSFb2EU

DEEP STRANGE JOURNEY

bloodychill
May 8, 2004

And if the world
should end tonight,
I had a crazy, classic life
Exciting Lemon
There are non-human aliens in ME Andromeda but none of them are sentient. The squid cats are really cool but the bone guys are dumb out the gate and I get the feeling they never become not dumb.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

bloodychill posted:

There are non-human aliens in ME Andromeda but none of them are sentient. The squid cats are really cool but the bone guys are dumb out the gate and I get the feeling they never become not dumb.

i like the invisible dogs, i would like to own one as a pet

Gwyrgyn Blood
Dec 17, 2002

FirstAidKite posted:

I don't get it

Upperleft is a teleporter maze with poison tiles and random encounters. Upper Right has some other gimmick going on too but I don't recall what it is.

It's kinda annoying but not especially difficult or anything, which sums up most of SJ in a nutshell.

I said come in!
Jun 22, 2004

I hope the ending of Andromeda has a "pack up your poo poo and go back to the Milky Way Galaxy" option. That would be hilarious and I would pick it without hesitation.

ethanol
Jul 13, 2007

I went to andromeda and all I got was this t poo poo

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer

ethanol posted:

I went to andromeda and all I got was this t poo poo

God I hope that's not a typo. It's way funnier that way.

corn in the bible
Jun 5, 2004

I went to andromeda and all I got was this t pose

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

9T

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
I went to andromeda and all I got was this t po-

corn in the bible posted:

I went to andromeda and all I got was this t pose

GOD DAMMIT

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009
Remember castle voxelstein?

That was a neat thing

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

exquisite tea posted:

There's the ancient robot alien race but that's it. And surprise, the lumpy bad guys are just corrupted pink good guys.

So BioWare has officially used this trope more than Blizzard now right

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Nier:A is so good that i want to keep playing, but i think i need a break after finishing route C and also i don't want it to ever end, even though i need to see it through.

Jay Rust
Sep 27, 2011

What is a nier, anyway?

Red Bones
Aug 9, 2012

"I think he's a bad enough person to stay ghost through his sheer love of child-killing."

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

So BioWare has officially used this trope more than Blizzard now right

I think Blizzard still has the lead with "this entire species was just a corrupted version of this other species". But yeah, the Darkspawn, obviously, and then the Reapers I guess, for that reveal that they're made out of lots of mushed up dead people? Oh, and then I guess there's some stuff with the dwarves in Dragon Age Inquisition, too? It's hard to remember every instance of such a rote fantasy plot point.

Man the Reapers are the textbook example for introducing something interesting and then them becoming lamer the more you learn about them.

Sam Faust
Feb 20, 2015

Jay Rust posted:

What is a nier, anyway?

a dad

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

The opposite of Far

• Locked thread