Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

Hellsau posted:

Pretty sure that was just a shame concede after running into their own Chalice of Value.

One of the best games ever

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Samael
Oct 16, 2012

I think the flicker deck is one of the best archetype in the draft format, based on the few drafts I have done. The last draft we did, 3 of us forced the archetype in different ways (Esper, Bant (myself), straight UW) and the esper variant went unbeaten, with bant going 2-1, as well as UW. My bant flicker deck had Thragtusk, Restoration Angel, Stoic Angel, 2 ghostly flickers, a momentary blink and a mistmeadow witch and to top it all off, a foil seance. It was a thing of beauty.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:

Siivola posted:

Player elimination, bighuge decks, high life totals and, as far as I can tell, no actual reward for being the one to eliminate people?

Sign me out.

Sometimes good things happen. We were playing EDH 3 headed giant and I mind slavered a guy, spun his top and found a toxic deluge he was trying to float on top of his deck. Asked for the teams life total and deluged for 37, killing them all as they tried to figure out if they could respond and gain life back (the answer is no).

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

Errant Gin Monks posted:

Sometimes good things happen. We were playing EDH 3 headed giant and I mind slavered a guy, spun his top and found a toxic deluge he was trying to float on top of his deck. Asked for the teams life total and deluged for 37, killing them all as they tried to figure out if they could respond and gain life back (the answer is no).

Mindslaver'd an Elfball player in a pack-per-KO game and used his tokens to kill myself and kill-steal the pack he would've gotten next turn anyway. Value!

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Siivola posted:

Player elimination, bighuge decks, high life totals and, as far as I can tell, no actual reward for being the one to eliminate people?

Sign me out.

It's "classic" 80s and earlier board game design but since it has the magic TM on it, people love it. :shrug: If it had any way to mitigate long wait times betweeen turns or simultaneous turn structures like role-taking or worker placement games, I'd be down.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

C-Euro posted:

Mindslaver'd an Elfball player in a pack-per-KO game and used his tokens to kill myself and kill-steal the pack he would've gotten next turn anyway. Value!

:laffo:

I slapped Assault Suit on Ruhan the other night and it targeted the same guy on my turn and the following player's turn.

Then I slapped Sunforger on Ruhan and swung at aforementioned following player's turn, and Boros Charmed with Sunforger.

Felt good.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Samael posted:

I think the flicker deck is one of the best archetype in the draft format, based on the few drafts I have done. The last draft we did, 3 of us forced the archetype in different ways (Esper, Bant (myself), straight UW) and the esper variant went unbeaten, with bant going 2-1, as well as UW. My bant flicker deck had Thragtusk, Restoration Angel, Stoic Angel, 2 ghostly flickers, a momentary blink and a mistmeadow witch and to top it all off, a foil seance. It was a thing of beauty.

I mean, if you get Deadeye Navigator or something sure, its the best. I think the populate deck is really good too, its that I keep seeing decks where people don't actually draft enough copies of Eyes in the Sky and Rootborn Defenses.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Chill la Chill posted:

It's "classic" 80s and earlier board game design but since it has the magic TM on it, people love it. :shrug: If it had any way to mitigate long wait times betweeen turns or simultaneous turn structures like role-taking or worker placement games, I'd be down.
You'd have to hack the game pretty hard, I think. Far as I can tell, any sort of asynchronous gameplay is pretty much right out thanks to the priority-passing.

If I ever end up playing multiplayer, I kinda want to try playing regular FFA but have the game end when the first player gets eliminated, active player wins. Might have to let people block for each other and, uh, talk people out of conceding I guess?

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Multiplayer using Predator/Prey rules works alright. When the player to your left is eliminated you get a point. Last person standing gets a point. Incentivize protecting players other than your current prey, even including your current predator.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I burnt out on that setup when I used to play Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. It's still elimination, so the game takes a long while and eliminated players (that is, me, because I'm bad) have to wait around for a long time to play again.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Siivola posted:

You'd have to hack the game pretty hard, I think. Far as I can tell, any sort of asynchronous gameplay is pretty much right out thanks to the priority-passing.

If I ever end up playing multiplayer, I kinda want to try playing regular FFA but have the game end when the first player gets eliminated, active player wins. Might have to let people block for each other and, uh, talk people out of conceding I guess?

If you're playing a large circle of 6+ people, you can have the ability of only affecting people two to the left/right and only being able to attack the person on your left. Then you can have multiple turns going.

Usually you need a person not playing to mediate all of the chaos.

Worst game I have played was a 4 hour game of 9 players cuz it was for a $20 gift card. After we got down to 3 players, they decided to restart their game the next day to get a winner. Everyone was cool with it, lol.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Angry Grimace posted:

I mean, if you get Deadeye Navigator or something sure, its the best. I think the populate deck is really good too, its that I keep seeing decks where people don't actually draft enough copies of Eyes in the Sky and Rootborn Defenses.

I've said it a couple times but Mistmeadow Witch is also a Flicker all-star. I drafted Bant Flicker/Tokens at our release event and the last game I played I got blown out by my opponent using Witch to flicker my tokens each turn. I passed said Witch in Pack 3 to value-draft a Damnation :negative:

Flicker + ETB creatures is a pretty solid archetype, I drafted several creatures that made tokens upon entering play and things got wild if I managed to keep any in play for a couple of turns.

E:

En Fuego posted:

If you're playing a large circle of 6+ people, you can have the ability of only affecting people two to the left/right and only being able to attack the person on your left. Then you can have multiple turns going.

My old LGS used to do huge EDH games like this (10+ people) and it worked pretty well. Only needing to care about the people to your left and right, and getting "time off", lets you enjoy what other people are doing.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 19:15 on Mar 26, 2017

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Intuitively that sounds like a pain in the rear end, but I guess it could work alright?

Not gonna try it with a Commander deck tho. :v:

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

Siivola posted:

Intuitively that sounds like a pain in the rear end, but I guess it could work alright?

You really need a mediator, heh. And thats boring for one person instead of multiples?

Alaan
May 24, 2005

I think the sillies we got into was 9 player reject rare draft where after our games we did triple emperor. It ended up a close thing between five color door to nothing or whatever it is vs form of the dragon.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Siivola posted:

I burnt out on that setup when I used to play Vampire: The Eternal Struggle. It's still elimination, so the game takes a long while and eliminated players (that is, me, because I'm bad) have to wait around for a long time to play again.

It's simply the only viable way to take MtG into a multiplayer FFA.

Which means it's a patch job for a game that really shouldn't do it.

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

C-Euro posted:

I've said it a couple times but Mistmeadow Witch is also a Flicker all-star.

Either MTGO is bugged with Witch + Unearth creatures, or it's a great combo because I tried to use it on a Kithari Bomber that was unearthed and it stuck around afterward. The "Exile this" trigger was on the stack while it was in exile, so I guess that circumvents the downside of it? Something to consider.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

TheMaestroso posted:

Either MTGO is bugged with Witch + Unearth creatures, or it's a great combo because I tried to use it on a Kithari Bomber that was unearthed and it stuck around afterward. The "Exile this" trigger was on the stack while it was in exile, so I guess that circumvents the downside of it? Something to consider.

i'm thinking it works the same way that whipping back obzedat works

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

I went and looked at the ruling on Unearth. Turns out:

quote:

If a creature returned to the battlefield with unearth would leave the battlefield for any reason, it’s exiled instead -- unless the spell or ability that’s causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it! In that case, it succeeds at exiling it. If it later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Oblivion Ring or Flickerwisp might, for example), the creature card will return to the battlefield as a new object with no relation to its previous existence. The unearth effect will no longer apply to it.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

Siivola posted:

The trick is that you have markers denoting whose turn it is, and when each player is done with their turn they set their marker to "ready", and the next set of players start their turn only when each marker is set to ready. You also remove markers as players are eliminated. Basically, you don't want any player's "sphere of influence" (the people to their left and right) to overlap; you're trying to avoid the situation where you have one non-active player sandwiched between two active players.

I wrote up the rules and mechanics in one of the older MtG threads, the games themselves go on for a long time but the staggered turn system means you can take mental breaks to watch poo poo go down. The sphere of influence thing also makes for some weird interactions- we were down to four players (so only one active player at any time) in one game and someone ult'd a Karn, so three of us had to reset everything and the fourth player got to keep all of his stuff in play.

E: Found 'em

quote:

Alright, here's the rules as I understand/remember them for those grand melees-

1. Everyone sits in one big circle. You win a pack for each player that you eliminate, or if they concede as a direct result of some action you take. and if you concede "you" stay in the game as a gimme (you can't do anything but your life total remains, and whoever takes that total to 0 gets the KO and the pack)

2. Players can only affect and be affected by the people directly to their right or left. If I Wrath, the dude across the table keeps his creatures unless he is "adjacent" in terms of people that are in the game. You cannot move outside your sphere of influence unless you are "pulled" beyond it. I'm a little fuzzy on what this means, but I know one example of this is that if a guy two spots from me Wraths I cannot respond to the Wrath, but if the player in between Wrath-guy and myself responds to the Wrath, I can respond in turn to whatever in-between-guy does. Static effects that you control also only work within your sphere (so if I have Gaddock Teeg in play, it only restricts the people in my sphere). A player who has conceded is still in the game for the purpose of spheres of influence, but nothing happens on their turn. Also, spheres do not change until the next turn, meaning that if I kill the guy on my right, I don't see the person on his right until the turn ends.

3. Turns are taken simultaneously at different parts of the table. In a 16-person game four people are taking their turns at the same time. However, they are spaced far enough apart in the circle that they can't see one another and they don't overlap. My LGS has rectangular cardboxes they use for this; lay the box in front of you while it's your turn then stand it up in between you and the next player when you're passing the turn. When all boxes are standing, turn is passed and the next players lay their box down and the cycle continues. As people are eliminated, boxes are taken off the table to keep appropriate spacing. Sometimes this means one box doesn't move for a turn while the others do, other times someone has to skip a turn (but they usually make it so that someone who already has a prize pack or two loses a turn). Also, I don't think extra turns can be taken just to save headaches.

4. There are a couple store-specific rules to make things more fair and sensible:
-All infinite combos stop at 3 iterations.
-You can't run both Nevinyrral's Disk and Darksteel Forge in the same deck.
-You can't run Abyssal Persecutor since the other players in your sphere would simply ignore you.
-Turns are automatically passed after five minutes. If you do stuff at the end of the turn right before yours ("at EOT, I'll Top" for example) that counts towards your time.

Just think of it as a three-player EDH game where your opponents gang up on you, but where they in turn are also being ganged up upon.

C-Euro fucked around with this message at 21:18 on Mar 26, 2017

TheMaestroso
Nov 4, 2014

I must know your secrets.

Siivola posted:

I went and looked at the ruling on Unearth. Turns out:

quote:

If a creature returned to the battlefield with unearth would leave the battlefield for any reason, it’s exiled instead -- unless the spell or ability that’s causing the creature to leave the battlefield is actually trying to exile it! In that case, it succeeds at exiling it. If it later returns the creature card to the battlefield (as Oblivion Ring or Flickerwisp might, for example), the creature card will return to the battlefield as a new object with no relation to its previous existence. The unearth effect will no longer apply to it.

Clearly I need to draft a deck that does this.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

C-Euro posted:

The sphere of influence thing also makes for some weird interactions- we were down to four players (so only one active player at any time) in one game and someone ult'd a Karn, so three of us had to reset everything and the fourth player got to keep all of his stuff in play.
I'm gonna be That Guy and quote the rulebook because someone actually wrote down the rule for that exact case:

quote:

717.7. If a multiplayer game using the limited range of influence option (see rule 801) is restarted, all players in the game are involved, regardless of the range of influence of the player who controls the ability that restarted the game.
The copmprehensive rules actually include a version of range of influence rules, for some reason. (Probably because Garfield used it in VtES.)

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

C-Euro posted:

The trick is that you have markers denoting whose turn it is, and when each player is done with their turn they set their marker to "ready", and the next set of players start their turn only when each marker is set to ready. You also remove markers as players are eliminated. Basically, you don't want any player's "sphere of influence" (the people to their left and right) to overlap; you're trying to avoid the situation where you have one non-active player sandwiched between two active players.

I wrote up the rules and mechanics in one of the older MtG threads, the games themselves go on for a long time but the staggered turn system means you can take mental breaks to watch poo poo go down. The sphere of influence thing also makes for some weird interactions- we were down to four players (so only one active player at any time) in one game and someone ult'd a Karn, so three of us had to reset everything and the fourth player got to keep all of his stuff in play.

E: Found 'em

I think I'd rather play rip it or flip it.

Siivola
Dec 23, 2012

Magic the Gathering: I'd rather play rip it or flip it

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
how about you just play an actual board game designed to be fun with a bunch of people instead of coming up with a list of 2,000 house rules to make edh tolerable but still not very good

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010
Richard Garfield, after getting into a car accident and sustaining massive brain damage: "what if we added more rules such as turn markers and a sphere of influence?"

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Siivola posted:

I'm gonna be That Guy and quote the rulebook because someone actually wrote down the rule for that exact case:

The copmprehensive rules actually include a version of range of influence rules, for some reason. (Probably because Garfield used it in VtES.)

It's used in Grand Melee, which also uses turn markers for simultaneous turns.

En Fuego
Oct 8, 2004

The Reverend

little munchkin posted:

how about you just play an actual board game designed to be fun with a bunch of people instead of coming up with a list of 2,000 house rules to make edh tolerable but still not very good

WHY DONT YOU GO PLAY A BOARD GAME NERD

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010

little munchkin posted:

Richard Garfield, after getting into a car accident and sustaining massive brain damage: "what if we added more rules such as turn markers and a sphere of influence?"

in this universe does steven king write an actual ending to the Dark Tower?

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

little munchkin posted:

Heads up, nerds: the game you actually, desperately want to be playing instead of 5-player EDH is Argent: The Consortium. It has variable spells and player abilities (including reactions!), it hasn't not-Jace getting bullied into the school infirmary repeatedly, and it only takes ~1.5-2 hours to play.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Chill la Chill posted:

Heads up, nerds: the game you actually, desperately want to be playing instead of 5-player EDH is Argent: The Consortium. It has variable spells and player abilities (including reactions!), it hasn't not-Jace getting bullied into the school infirmary repeatedly, and it only takes ~1.5-2 hours to play.

I've owned argent for years, can confirm game is amazing.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

Soiled Meat

little munchkin posted:

If it helps you sleep at night I haven't played EDH in almost two years. Was actually thinking of taking my decks apart but one of them has sentimental value and the other is worth gently caress-all so :shrug:

Sickening
Jul 16, 2007

Black summer was the best summer.
Gp Orlando could not be more boring to watch.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Sickening posted:

Limited is always a bore for coverage.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

mcmagic posted:

Limited is always a bore for coverage.

Yeah but on the other hand Chris Pikula top eighted, qualifying him for the PT and any good result there will probably get him into the HoF.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

Sickening posted:

This coverage is trash, between weird breaks in coverage, badly timed adverts and the usual WotC "we have no idea about e-sports" rubbish it's dire.

AceClown
Sep 11, 2005

AceClown posted:

This coverage is trash, between weird breaks in coverage, badly timed adverts and the usual WotC "we have no idea about e-sports" rubbish it's dire.

And just as I post this the stream goes offline lol

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

AceClown posted:

And just as I post this the stream goes offline lol

It's loving ridiculous, Yao draws a pump spell to win, and the loving stream goddamn cuts out just as blockers are being declared. Unbelieveably lovely. Never had issues like this watching the PT on Youtube.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

AceClown posted:

Yeah, this event coverage has been terrible. The actual commentary has been solid which is expected when you have an all star commentary cast of LSV, Marshall, Cheon, and Rich interviewing players. But I feel like it has been constantly cycling 2-4 minutes of ads and because twitch sucks sometimes you get caught in an endless advertisement loop and you have to reload your window (or exit the app and re-enter). Marshall has been even missing poo poo during coverage because he is playing damage control in the chat. The replays have been repeats of games that we've seen like 2-3 hours earlier (some people were insisting that it was the 3rd time they've repeated matches today), and there has been zero content outside of the live coverage.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

WotC is incapable of doing anything involving a computer program and you expect them to stream correctly?

• Locked thread