Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

Breath Ray posted:

I watched this this morning. Jeremy was so incredubky long winded. asked about his shoot to kill comments he went on and on about context, and how when he said it he was talking about the Irish policy in the 80s. Then he gave a 500 word response about Prevent without answering the very soft question! Must be between scriptwriters at the moment but I still think Milne has to go he must have some dirt on someone

Jeremy is unable to express himself properly which is an odd thing for an experienced politician.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

jBrereton posted:

Work visas and free trade plus a continued contribution/take not far from what we paid with the rebate, minus CAP which will be handled internally. I would assume, and assume is the key word here, that reaction to that set up will be used as a sounding board for how maastricht is changed (because it probably will be) in future.

free trade, you mean tariff free? we keep our financial passporting? what about customs controls?

these are the things that the EU will not compromise on because that's what being an EU member is all about.

also what about trade deals we have to renegotiate with other countries?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

crispix posted:

We want to win elections, not arguments!!!!!!! Why don't you go and grow some vegetables with Gerry Adams, old windbag Jeremy CorBIN man!!!! :newlol:

Did you see the interview? Worth a look if not

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer

TACD posted:

Except that any deal, no matter how terrible, is going to be better than falling back on WTO rules. So if Labour refuses to back it they'll instead be painted as 'throwing away two years of British deal–making' and 'guaranteeing us a poorer future'. We'll get exactly the Brexit deal the EU deigns to give us, and we'll be happy to have it too.

unless labour have a sudden majority by then i doubt it matters

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
let's not forget that at the same time we have to negotiate trade deals with every other country on earth at the same time as handling EU negotiations.

crispix
Mar 28, 2015

Grand-Maman m'a raconté
(Les éditions des amitiés franco-québécoises)

Hello, dear

Breath Ray posted:

Did you see the interview? Worth a look if not

I don't care to listen to him b/c he never even does knock-down ZINGERS like our Big Tone did!!!!!!! I rather suspect however that old man Jeremy Corbin man might possibly make an effective shadow energy minister for he is rather full of hot air!!!!!!!!!!!! :laugh:

TACD
Oct 27, 2000

JFairfax posted:

let's not forget that at the same time we have to negotiate trade deals with every other country on earth at the same time as handling EU negotiations.
My understanding was that until Brexit actually happens (i.e. in two years' time) we are still legally prevented from negotiating our own trade deals?

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

JFairfax posted:

free trade, you mean tariff free? we keep our financial passporting? what about customs controls?

these are the things that the EU will not compromise on because that's what being an EU member is all about.
I think we'll see what the EU will compromise on and the things the UK will compromise on.

As Schäuble hinted a month or so back, a bloodbath between Amsterdam, Paris, Frankfurt and Rome about who gets to be The Post-Brexit EU Doing Trades Guys is not really in the interest of the EU.

quote:

also what about trade deals we have to renegotiate with other countries?
We'll cross that bridge when we come to it. For now we're an EU state.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TACD posted:

My understanding was that until Brexit actually happens (i.e. in two years' time) we are still legally prevented from negotiating our own trade deals?
Yes but this is with a nudge and wink that ~exploratory non binding stuff~ is probably fine but don't go announcing things like a bunch of dickheads.

endlessmonotony
Nov 4, 2009

by Fritz the Horse
Also, to anyone who doesn't know: Asking poo poo like "no WhatsApp encryption" is entirely pointless from a safety perspective. There's literally no advantages, it doesn't do anything. You'd need 24/7 no-breaks video surveillance of people for it to do what they claim to want it to do.

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009
Glad Cannon & Ball have had a good day.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hand-fed baby bird posted:

Glad Cannon & Ball have had a good day.

How do you know so much about Cannon and Ball?

hand-fed baby bird
May 13, 2009

Still relevant.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Still obsessed.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.
Yeah, to be honest it is a bit creepy to be doing those photoshops.

Also, hasn't JFairFax been probated multiple times for being a massive creep to flaps? It seems like it's the only thing he does if he's not complaining about the Pope.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
lighten up twitterarti

Coohoolin
Aug 5, 2012

Oor Coohoolie.

TinTower posted:

Also, hasn't JFairFax been probated multiple times for being a massive creep to flaps? It seems like it's the only thing he does if he's not complaining about the Pope.

He contributes, at least.

Remember coconuts?

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

TinTower posted:

He's been probated more times for being a creep to flaps than flaps has been probated for being a massive oval office in general and in my view it's a grave injustice.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting
Much like jihadi terrorism, just stop loving talking about it.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Yeah let's get back to talking about how labour is doomed, Corbyn is awful or whatever like this thread isn't just a big old constellation of the same concentric cicular arguments going on forever till the next election or whatever when it finally gets interesting.

Hoops
Aug 19, 2005

A Black Mark For Retarded Posting

TomViolence posted:

Yeah let's get back to talking about how labour is doomed, Corbyn is awful or whatever like this thread isn't just a big old constellation of the same concentric cicular arguments going on forever till the next election or whatever when it finally gets interesting.
There is a third option that a lot of people don't consider.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Please, do go ahead and disgorge those thick, surging jets of wisdom any time you like and steer us onto something interesting and productive.

Paxman
Feb 7, 2010

Let us all drink of this wisdom

Tigey
Apr 6, 2015

Hoops posted:

There is a third option that a lot of people don't consider.

The Lib Dems?

Comrade Cheggorsky
Aug 20, 2011

i am looking forward to the outbreak of farronmania in 2020

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

I don't think I could get enthusiastic about existentialist milkman Tim Farron.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
I flew into the UK yesterday and the queue at passport control for EU citizens like me, a Briton, was really long, but the queue for Rest of World had barely anyone in it and those people got through really fast!

Seems to me that leaving the EU and finally taking our rightful place in Rest of World will be a long awaited victory for British queuers.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-
Of course when you fly within Schengen there is no passport control at all.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

big scary monsters posted:

I flew into the UK yesterday and the queue at passport control for EU citizens like me, a Briton, was really long, but the queue for Rest of World had barely anyone in it and those people got through really fast!

Seems to me that leaving the EU and can finally taking our rightful place in Rest of World will be a long awaited victory for British queuers.

Last time I flew in the same thing happened and they just pushed half the queue through ROW.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal

OwlFancier posted:

existentialist milkman
Don't ruin my prog rock project album before it's ready.

big scary monsters
Sep 2, 2011

-~Skullwave~-

goddamnedtwisto posted:

Last time I flew in the same thing happened and they just pushed half the queue through ROW.

Typical one rule for London, another for the rest of the country.

vodkat
Jun 30, 2012

cannot legally be sold as vodka

TomViolence posted:

it would be really nice if we had a separate ukmt thread where corby chat was banned so we could talk about recent happenings rather than rehash the same corbyn arguments for 1000 posts every week

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
I've dismantled my trouser press and can't seem to put it back together

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

JFairfax posted:

I've dismantled my trouser press and can't seem to put it back together

Do you think it might have been sabotaged by Trots?

Also why are you dismantling your trouser press at 4 in the morning?

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Here is a long article by Dan Jarvis for discussion then:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/reuniting-and-renewing-kingdom-britain-beyond-brexit

It's a good piece I think, trouble is, the looming problems that he sets out in detail are so horrible that I'd prefer not to think about them, in the hope that perhaps they'll quietly go away. (they won't) Nice to hear him calling for heavier taxes on wealth, greater redistribution from the rich to the poor and a strong State being a prerequisite for stability and economic growth, though.

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Pistol_Pete posted:

Here is a long article by Dan Jarvis for discussion then:

http://www.newstatesman.com/politics/uk/2017/03/reuniting-and-renewing-kingdom-britain-beyond-brexit

It's a good piece I think, trouble is, the looming problems that he sets out in detail are so horrible that I'd prefer not to think about them, in the hope that perhaps they'll quietly go away. (they won't) Nice to hear him calling for heavier taxes on wealth, greater redistribution from the rich to the poor and a strong State being a prerequisite for stability and economic growth, though.

"In 2015, only 53% of school leavers in England achieved five good GCSE passes that included English and Maths."

Is this true? If so that is loving appalling

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

JFairfax posted:

"In 2015, only 53% of school leavers in England achieved five good GCSE passes that included English and Maths."

Is this true? If so that is loving appalling

See for yourself.
There's a caveat in that the Govt changed the rules on what counts as a 'good GCSE pass' between 2013 and 2014, so the numbers drop quite significantly between those two years.

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

vodkat posted:

it would be really nice if we had a separate ukmt thread where corby chat was banned so we could talk about recent happenings rather than rehash the same corbyn arguments for 1000 posts every week

Sorry that the current state of the Labour Party is considered current events. I suppose it'll be better when it's dead and buried after the next election.

Ravel
Dec 23, 2009

There's no story

kingturnip posted:

See for yourself.
There's a caveat in that the Govt changed the rules on what counts as a 'good GCSE pass' between 2013 and 2014, so the numbers drop quite significantly between those two years.

Specifically the main thing was that only first entries are counted now, rather than a student's second or third attempt. Either way it doesn't swing it by more than a few percentage points.

And this 5+ACEM threshold measure doesn't exist anymore, and most likely won't be published in the future. There's an entirely new way of measuring pupil attainment and progress now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Thanks Ants
May 21, 2004

#essereFerrari

Can I request the Nigel Farage plane-crash currency graph is available for the 29th? I can't seem to find it from looking at the previous threads.

• Locked thread