Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer

mormonpartyboat posted:

i just didnt go to college :smuggo:

Honestly these days it might be more useful to skip college and learn a trade idk.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you're out of a job tomorrow and need to move across state lines as a renter, you've still got a lease and a landlord who's going to try to gently caress every dime possible out of you anyway. There's really no winning situation.

My last landlord hosed ~$6000 out of a guy who signed a lease and then had to move to Missouri for work three months later.

This is true, but I'm not stuck with a house, and if the economy is poo poo, no one is going to want that house. $6,000 is still lovely, but it's a lot easier to swallow than $60,000

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Citizen Tayne posted:

I think the Boomers are just hosed up control freaks who enjoy having adult children who are dependent on them

It's a thing with rich parents (i.e. the kind who buy their kids a house or pay down their six-figure loans) in general

They'll spend tens/hundreds of thousands on stupid poo poo their kids don't need at a whim, but will shutdown over a couple hundred life-changing bucks if they personally dislike the end result or think it will help their kids escape from their sphere of influence for real

It's weird and sad, because it boils down to parents' desire to protect their kids and take care of them, but wealth gives you tremendous power to control other peoples' lives, foster dependence, etc

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

Citizen Tayne posted:

If you're out of a job tomorrow and need to move across state lines as a renter, you've still got a lease and a landlord who's going to try to gently caress every dime possible out of you anyway. There's really no winning situation.

My last landlord hosed ~$6000 out of a guy who signed a lease and then had to move to Missouri for work three months later.

If you're not renting month to month after the first year, gently caress that landlord.

Serf
May 5, 2011

Spoondick posted:

yeah, im on a 2 year lease too

i wish i could lock in a longer lease bc i hate moving but roommates come and go all the time

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Is robbing a bank okay?

I knew I should have done that course on how to break high security safes.

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

If you're not renting month to month after the first year, gently caress that landlord.

Depends on state law, here in PA landlords can demand that you sign a new lease every year.

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Relevant Tangent posted:

If you're not living in a city that has rent control, get on that poo poo. Nobody should be able to raise the rent more than 3% a year.

In Philadelphia, particularly University City area where the campuses of three private universities almost overlap, only a few companies own the majority of the property for rent. So, you want to live close to UPenn or Drexel? $1,200 month easy for a studio apartment. It's bordering on a monopoly. And with $1,200/month you could be pay down a mortgage in the burbs.

Relevant Tangent
Nov 18, 2016

Tangentially Relevant

WMain00 posted:

Is robbing a bank okay?

I knew I should have done that course on how to break high security safes.

Lots of crimes are cool af and will get you laid.

Citizen Tayne posted:

Depends on state law, here in PA landlords can demand that you sign a new lease every year.

PA is bad though, especially Pittsburgh

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

wizard on a water slide posted:

It's a thing with rich parents (i.e. the kind who buy their kids a house or pay down their six-figure loans) in general

They'll spend tens/hundreds of thousands on stupid poo poo their kids don't need at a whim, but will shutdown over a couple hundred life-changing bucks if they personally dislike the end result or think it will help their kids escape from their sphere of influence for real

It's weird and sad, because it boils down to parents' desire to protect their kids and take care of them, but wealth gives you tremendous power to control other peoples' lives, foster dependence, etc

Yeah. This is pretty lovely but I know a lot of people who basically are stuck in a weird situation where they don't work because their parents pay for literally everything so they're so conditioned into that life that they don't see the need. They're basically trapped in that life.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Citizen Tayne posted:

I think the Boomers are just hosed up control freaks who enjoy having adult children who are dependent on them

Yeah, my mom genuinely wants me to move to the middle of nowhere to be near them. They already have my brother who moved out there with them because he lived with them until 30. I think that my independence is one of the things that aggravates my parents.

On the other hand, they're not good at taking care of themselves, so I'm glad my brother is there because I have no desire to have to do it

Kashuno posted:

Honestly these days it might be more useful to skip college and learn a trade idk.

That's what I did, I'm doing pretty good for myself, especially considering my mental issues IMHO

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Kashuno posted:

if someone wants a trade that's not gonna be featured on dirty jobs and will get you a nice five and a half figgy office job, go learn ITAR regulations

finding someone that actually knows their poo poo is nearly loving impossible but it's a heavily in demand skill

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

mormonpartyboat posted:

if someone wants a trade that's not gonna be featured on dirty jobs and will get you a nice five and a half figgy office job, go learn ITAR regulations

finding someone that actually knows their poo poo is nearly loving impossible but it's a heavily in demand skill

That's the thing. If you're working an "office" trade, you don't make that 4 year degree money right out of the gate, it takes you a bit to get there, but when you know your poo poo, you can definitely live good.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Everyone have a good weekend? I did. Skiing and a pancake breakfast with freshly made syrup. :)

triple sulk
Sep 17, 2014

I'm just waiting for the bubble to pop and end up part of massive layoffs and not find another job cause I'm a bad programmer

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Joementum posted:

Everyone have a good weekend? I did. Skiing and a pancake breakfast with freshly made syrup. :)

Hello Jared Kuchner.

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

Iron Crowned posted:

Hello Jared Kuchner.

*SWATs u*

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

mormonpartyboat posted:

Honestly, I've thought about getting into doing PMC/Defense work. With the ITAR stuff, are you basically just making sure no one is diverting arms/equipment to bad hombres?

Leaving the military with no skill set sucks balls. On the Army's website, my MOS lists one of the "related civilian jobs" as "security guard". Cool. I'm qualified to be a mall cop.

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

petit choux posted:

mY BLACK CAT JUST WALKED ON MY KEYBOARD AND ^^^ THIS HAPPENED MAGA

PS - THEIR BEING BLACK MAKES THEIR CAT BUTTHOLES REALLY STAND OUT

Black kitties are teh best kittes

Hail Satan

white sauce
Apr 29, 2012

by R. Guyovich

I did a thing posted:

Honestly, I've thought about getting into doing PMC/Defense work. With the ITAR stuff, are you basically just making sure no one is diverting arms/equipment to bad hombres?

Leaving the military with no skill set sucks balls. On the Army's website, my MOS lists one of the "related civilian jobs" as "security guard". Cool. I'm qualified to be a mall cop.

Were you a grunt? What was your MOS?

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Kashuno posted:

pretty much

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
i'm currently watching a cyclone debbie live stream lol

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umcZcFC8YR0

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

got any sevens posted:

Rip wynona gifs :/

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

Tight Booty Shorts posted:

Were you a grunt? What was your MOS?

yeah 11b.

I'd do law enforcement, but I don't want to do local law. And loving Obama ended the Federal Career Internship Program which would have allowed me to basically apply to a federal agency, if accepted, I'd be on a probationary period for 2 years and then get evaluated for permanent employment.

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

wizard on a water slide posted:

yep, my parents are kinda veering this way. theyre really weird about money in that spending hundreds of k $ is nbd when its something they want, like trying to break into the real estate market of a state on the other side of the country because the kids all moved to massachusetts and they cant stand being far away from us

but god forbid one of us wants a different haircut

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

besides this thread is basically all power rangers now

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

Hail Satan

Matoi Ryuko
Jan 6, 2004

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Relevant Tangent posted:

PA is bad though, especially Pittsburgh

Nice fake news, pal

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band

Hail Satan

All cats are beautiful.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Joementum posted:

How was Aspen?

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Iron Crowned posted:

That's the thing. If you're working an "office" trade, you don't make that 4 year degree money right out of the gate, it takes you a bit to get there, but when you know your poo poo, you can definitely live good.

big thing is that export compliance guys are in pretty universal demand right now. and once you've got your resume padded out you'll never be looking for work (unless you got fired for loving everything up and getting the company fined hundreds of thousands!!!!)

I did a thing posted:

depends a lot on what you're doing. ideally you'd want a company that actually exports stuff on the USML so you'd manage acquiring and maintaining export licenses with the state department, controlling whatever poo poo is ITAR locally, and so on, on top of end use compliance

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

fits my needs posted:

How was Aspen?

and i've been beaten.

fits my needs
Jan 1, 2011

Grimey Drawer
Are people here really bitching about having rich parents? Lmao I wish I had to suffer such "indignity" :wow:

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer
this thread is kinda slow today where is the craziness?!?!?!

neutral milf hotel
Oct 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

fits my needs posted:

Are people here really bitching about having rich parents? Lmao I wish I had to suffer such "indignity" :wow:

Goons love to complain? :wth:

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

Kashuno posted:

this thread is kinda slow today where is the craziness?!?!?!

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

fits my needs posted:

People with rich parents should be killed once their parents are eaten for being rich. Duh.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

fits my needs posted:

Pretty sure the sentiment is "rich parents can be such loving assholes like all rich people".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

I did a thing posted:

1600 Pennsylvania Ave.

Can you confirm he is actually there and not out golfing

• Locked thread