Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

Vanilla Sky has not aged well, and it's hard to pinpoint why, but at the time it was one of the best films I had ever seen in my life. Blew the original out of the water.

I first watched it last year and I still loved it. It's one of my favorite "mindfuck" films. Cruise did a fantastic job and the cast is fantastic. I really recommend it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

Just the first one and Rogue Nation, but both are fun. It's also got Top Gun and The Firm. The former is a classic, the latter I haven't seen so can't comment. Vanilla Sky and The Last Samurai on Netflix both have their charms.

The Firm is absolutely legit.

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

What are some other good thriller type movies like The Firm? I put Devil's Advocate in there and weirdly Dead Zone. and Hunt for Red October. And The Fugitive

I guess I just want cool 90's classics help me goons

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Chichevache posted:

I first watched it last year and I still loved it. It's one of my favorite "mindfuck" films. Cruise did a fantastic job and the cast is fantastic. I really recommend it.

Yeah, when I tried rewatching it recently there was something slightly "off" about it... I think it's how excessively early-00s it is with all the Radiohead and whatnot. The thing that's funny is that it predates the era of the mindfuck being everywhere. And goddamn Kurt Russell is fantastic in it.

So today I watched The Most Hated Woman in America and I'm surprised I don't recall anyone else mentioning it yet. It's really quite good, great cast and fascinating subject matter. On Netflix.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

precision posted:

The thing that's funny is that it predates the era of the mindfuck being everywhere.

That's one of the things I enjoyed about it. If it were a 2017 movie it would be played out, but it definitely predates how ubiquitous the genre is.

TychoCelchuuu
Jan 2, 2012

This space for Rent.

precision posted:

Vanilla Sky has not aged well, and it's hard to pinpoint why, but at the time it was one of the best films I had ever seen in my life. Blew the original out of the water.
Having just watched both recently I definitely prefer the original, although Kurt Russell is great and "I swallowed your cum, that means something" is a line that won't leave my memory for a while.

Neon Noodle
Nov 11, 2016

there's nothing wrong here in montana
Yeah I was surprised as well to find that I preferred Vanilla Sky to the original, and I usually don't like Tom Cruise.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

A MIRACLE posted:

What are some other good thriller type movies like The Firm? I put Devil's Advocate in there and weirdly Dead Zone. and Hunt for Red October. And The Fugitive

Several of the Grisham adaptations are decent to pretty good. Here's my list in approximate order of quality:
1. A Time to Kill
2. The Firm
3. The Client
4. The Rainmaker
5. The Street Lawyer
6. Runaway Jury
7. The Pelican Brief

I haven't seen The Gingerbread Man or The Chamber so I can't really comment on those two. With Grisham, at worst you're getting a formulaic courtroom drama, akin to an average episode of Law & Order. I think the top 4 on my list are pretty solid legal thrillers though.

drunken officeparty
Aug 23, 2006

MeatwadIsGod posted:

I wanna say Prime has all the Mission Impossible movies.

I've never seen any of them. Are they actually good? Or at least on par with the median Jason Statham movie?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

So today I watched The Most Hated Woman in America and I'm surprised I don't recall anyone else mentioning it yet. It's really quite good, great cast and fascinating subject matter. On Netflix.

Is this about whats her name, Madelyn Murray O'Hair?

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

precision posted:

Speaking of Park Chan-Wook, The Handmaiden is available to rent on Prime. I'll watch it later today and report back probably.

Sarchasm posted:

:jerkbag:

I thought it was free through Amazon Prime, my mistake.

Prime members will be able to stream Amazon Original Movie The Handmaiden as part of their membership starting April 13th.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

drunken officeparty posted:

I've never seen any of them. Are they actually good? Or at least on par with the median Jason Statham movie?

They are all good to great, and the worst of the series was directed by John Woo and is at least as good as anything Jason Statham has been in.

I would argue that it's the best modern action franchise, by a fair margin.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Enos Cabell posted:

They are all good to great, and the worst of the series was directed by John Woo and is at least as good as anything Jason Statham has been in.

Mission Impossible 2 is not as good as the Crank movies, but, yeah, it's still pretty fun for the worst of the series.

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit
I want Crank 3 dammit! :(

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Sir Kodiak posted:

Mission Impossible 2 is not as good as the Crank movies, but, yeah, it's still pretty fun for the worst of the series.

I mostly dug the Crank movies, but John Woo + Tom Cruise + motorcycles is a pretty damned fun combo.

Asnorban
Jun 13, 2003

Professor Gavelsmoke

I rewatched them all in order and I thought up until Rogue Nation each one was better than the last. 4>5>3>2>1. I went in to 2 expecting to hate it, having not seen it since it was in theaters and remembering how disappointed I was, but going in knowing you are getting a John Woo movie and not anything remotely close to the first movie broke it open for me.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I watched Mission Impossible for the first time a few years ago and it was bad.

I did not know the twists in the movie, and it was still bad.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The first M:I is the best one, then each sequel is better then the one before it

Humbug Scoolbus
Apr 25, 2008

The scarlet letter was her passport into regions where other women dared not tread. Shame, Despair, Solitude! These had been her teachers, stern and wild ones, and they had made her strong, but taught her much amiss.
Clapping Larry

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yes.

On the M:I movies. I really have a hard time watching anything starring Cruise, but the director choices are what has brought me back to the series again and again.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

Ima give it a watch.

MeatwadIsGod
Sep 30, 2004

Foretold by Gyromancy

drunken officeparty posted:

As others have already said, they're all good yet fairly different from each other because of the directors. Brian de Palma, John Woo, JJ Abrams, Brad Bird, Christopher McQuarrie. Each one has 2-3 standout action scenes. MI3 has an excellent villain performance from Phillip Seymour Hoffman, the newer ones are impressive because of Cruise's stuntwork (especially at his age). They're all fun action movies, with the de Palma one probably taking itself the most seriously as an espionage thriller.

MeatwadIsGod fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Mar 27, 2017

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Humbug Scoolbus posted:

On the M:I movies. I really have a hard time watching anything starring Cruise, but the director choices are what has brought me back to the series again and again.

As much as I enjoyed Rogue Nation, I'm surprised they're doing their first double-dip with bringing back Christopher McQuarrie for 6. Cruise obviously likes him, but part of the fun of the series is seeing all the different interpretations.

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming

Sir Kodiak posted:

As much as I enjoyed Rogue Nation, I'm surprised they're doing their first double-dip with bringing back Christopher McQuarrie for 6. Cruise obviously likes him, but part of the fun of the series is seeing all the different interpretations.

I like it in theory but the tone and direction has flattened out quite a bit since III

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer
I was a Tom Cruise skeptic until I saw Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut. I think he's a laughable action star, but he's a good actor and supposedly a really nice guy on the set.

Spite
Jul 27, 2001

Small chance of that...

A MIRACLE posted:

The Negotiator is great.

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Franchescanado posted:

I was a Tom Cruise skeptic until I saw Magnolia and Eyes Wide Shut. I think he's a laughable action star, but he's a good actor and supposedly a really nice guy on the set.

He's really good when he plays some sort of rear end in a top hat, like the movies you mentioned plus Edge of Tomorrow, Interview with a Vampire and Collateral, but when he plays his hero characters you often get laughable poo poo, like the Jack Reacher movies or The Last Samurai subscript Tom Cruise in a Kimono.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

morestuff posted:

I like it in theory but the tone and direction has flattened out quite a bit since III

I loved how Bird handled Ghost Protocol but I thought a lot of McQuarrie's work on Rogue Nation was really flat. I wasn't thrilled to hear that he was doing the sixth movie.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Yeah. What I found refreshing is that it was not remotely a puff piece on how great she was, it shows that she was super flawed and kind of awful just like every other human being.

I wasn't familiar with how the whole thing ended though and holy poo poo that last 10-15 minutes gets dark as gently caress.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

Timby posted:

I loved how Bird handled Ghost Protocol but I thought a lot of McQuarrie's work on Rogue Nation was really flat. I wasn't thrilled to hear that he was doing the sixth movie.

I really like the action choreography and general action staging, but I don't know how much of that is McQuarrie. I'l agree it's not presented in a particularly exciting manner. But, like, Ilsa Faust climbing all over dudes in fights is one of the most fun action themes in the franchise.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

precision posted:

Yeah. What I found refreshing is that it was not remotely a puff piece on how great she was, it shows that she was super flawed and kind of awful just like every other human being.

I wasn't familiar with how the whole thing ended though and holy poo poo that last 10-15 minutes gets dark as gently caress.

Yeah, I read a book about her way back but don't recall if it had the same or a similar title. Her story is really fascinating.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Sir Kodiak posted:

I really like the action choreography and general action staging, but I don't know how much of that is McQuarrie. I'l agree it's not presented in a particularly exciting manner. But, like, Ilsa Faust climbing all over dudes in fights is one of the most fun action themes in the franchise.

I suppose I was cold on Rogue Nation because it felt like McQuarrie getting up his own rear end with nth-dimensional chess or gameplanning or whatever. Nothing about that movie makes a lick of sense.

tweet my meat
Oct 2, 2013

yospos
There was a cool setpiece at an opera house and that's all the sense it needs to make for me. Rogue Nation was definitely a step down from Ghost Protocol and 3 though which were both absolutely incredible movies.

flatluigi
Apr 23, 2008

here come the planes
Looking for a good, light show on Netflix where I can leave it up on my second monitor and split my attention between it and work without feeling like I'm constantly missing poo poo. For examples: I was using Murder She Wrote before that got dropped and I just finished the Great British Baking Show.

fishtobaskets
Feb 22, 2007

It's not about butthole pleasures
Lipstick Apathy

flatluigi posted:

Looking for a good, light show on Netflix where I can leave it up on my second monitor and split my attention between it and work without feeling like I'm constantly missing poo poo. For examples: I was using Murder She Wrote before that got dropped and I just finished the Great British Baking Show.

I segued from GBBS into Escape to the Country and it's scratching that same itch. There's tons of footage of cool poo poo in rural Great Britain. I wanna move to Dorset and become a dressmaker for livestock.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

flatluigi posted:

There are now two Bob Ross collections on Netflix and 20 episodes of MST3k

Moacher
Oct 10, 2007

In a few moments my neighbor is going to exit this building's ground floor, out onto the sidewalk. According to my math, from this height, I can kill him by pissing on him.
I loved Love. It took me a while to get through the first 3 eps of season 1, but after that I basically couldn't put it down. Bertie is fantastic and I looked forward to every minute of her screentime. It was pretty disappointing to watch her hook up with Randy again at the end, I hope season three has her and Chris be a thing

Also, of all the emotional scenes in the show, I never teared up or got too emotional myself until the bit where the family in the restaurant invites Gus over to eat with them. For whatever reason that whole bit really got to me.

Also also, gently caress Dustin and gently caress the Andy Dick apologetics.

P-P-P-P-Perfect Storm!

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Moacher posted:

I loved Love

Also, of all the emotional scenes in the show, I never teared up or got too emotional myself until the bit where the family in the restaurant invites Gus over to eat with them. For whatever reason that whole bit really got to me.

This was a great moment. I'm glad that they didn't go the obvious route with that scene, and decided to just let Gus be vulnerable.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe
I watched Gimme Danger on Prime. Let me just say that I've never really listened to the Stooges and only listened to a handful of Iggy Pop's solo work so I was going in blind.

It's impressive how Jim Jarmusch made something out of almost nothing. As far as I can tell, outside of audio recordings, there were like four chunks of vintage performances and a handful of pictures. He fleshes out this tiny bit of material with interviews, stock footage and some very brief Angela Anaconda style cutout animation.

Took a bit to get going since they started with the worst right before the second breakup before jumping back to young Iggy but, after 10-15 minutes, it picked up and found its footing.

I thought it was weird how they credited some inspiration and don't even mention others. They go really deep on the name drops but avoid mentioning Mick Jagger. Guess it's because they wanted to present the Stooges as this super innovative force when it's kind of clear that these were hosed up kids just pulling from everything that was going on around them.

Not to say they were bad but trying to call them the 'greatest band in rock & roll' is a bit of a stretch. Still the documentary wasn't bad and I understand why Iggy wanted him to put it together. most of the band is dead and this documentary is an epitaph

Call Me Charlie fucked around with this message at 06:32 on Mar 29, 2017

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I mean, you say you've never really listened to the Stooges so... maybe you should? Them and the MC5 invented punk rock. I legit don't think Iggy was inspired by Jagger; they were contemporaries. When The Stooges were starting out, the Stones were still a psych pop band more than anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

precision posted:

I mean, you say you've never really listened to the Stooges so... maybe you should? Them and the MC5 invented punk rock. I legit don't think Iggy was inspired by Jagger; they were contemporaries. When The Stooges were starting out, the Stones were still a psych pop band more than anything else.

I'm actually listening to Funhouse thanks to the way the documentary played up the horns on it ('play like maceo parker on acid'? yeah, i'm in). It's good but...it's weird to try to give them all the credit for certain things as if they materialized out of thin air instead of being one of the first to put together all these elements in a certain fashion.

(but i dunno maybe my internal timeline is all messed up when it comes to that period of music :shrug:)