Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Poll: Who Should Be Leader of HM Most Loyal Opposition?
This poll is closed.
Jeremy Corbyn 95 18.63%
Dennis Skinner 53 10.39%
Angus Robertson 20 3.92%
Tim Farron 9 1.76%
Paul Ukips 7 1.37%
Robot Lenin 105 20.59%
Tony Blair 28 5.49%
Pissflaps 193 37.84%
Total: 510 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
hakimashou
Jul 15, 2002
Upset Trowel

Don't Lol me posted:

Behold the power of the press.
Theresa May has done nothing, and was incompetent as a home secretary.
Trump literally vomits out tinfoil right wing conspiracies and rhetoric while using government funds to play golf and enhance his playboy lifestyle.
Jeremy Corbyn talks in meaningful dialogue and is probably one of the most principaled politicians in the country, relatively speaking.
Yet both Trump and Corbyn are level pegging as the worst kind of politicians ever in the public eye.

Ridiculous.

I don't buy the principled bit. The honorable thing after brexit won would have been to step down.

Letting David Cameron, a man who hosed a dead pig's head, steal a march on him in the 'principles' department was a sure sign of what was to come, and is why you see the polls saying what they say.

E: 140 is the maximum number of exclamation points you can put in one twitter.

hakimashou fucked around with this message at 12:31 on Mar 28, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames

hakimashou posted:

I don't buy the principled bit. The honorable thing after brexit won would have been to step down.

Letting David Cameron, a man who hosed a dead pig's head, steal a march on him in the 'principles' department was a sure sign of what was to come, and is why you see the polls saying what they say.

I don't think choosing to stay on after the side he was notionally on lost the referendum demonstrates a lack of principles. It wasn't his idea to have one nor was his political career staked on it.

Campaigning ineffectually for a cause you clearly don't believe in, to its detriment? That's extremely unprincipled.

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

PLEASE ASK ABOUT MY 80,000 WORD WALLACE AND GROMIT SLASH FICTION. PLEASE.

What I don't get is the Lithuanian flag on that banner, what country was he extrajudicially murdering terrorists for in the first place?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

not sure if sarcasm, but they're the colours of the royal marines

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Well, poo poo, the marines are breaking the Geneva conventions by default, then. Fighting under another country's flag is perfidy, lock the fuckers up.

Pissflaps
Oct 20, 2002

by VideoGames
Is anybody here planning to host or attend an Article 50 Party?

Looke
Aug 2, 2013

are you inviting me pissflaps?

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
I think the hinges about corbyn is that it's hard to disaggregate his poor performance as leader from his politics so a lot of lefty ppl think attacks on corbyn are always also attacks on left politics. They usually are but still, I'd love to see a charismatic lefty like keir starmer put his ideas into practice.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Pissflaps posted:

Article50 is the password for most of my accounts but sadly my enthusiasm for taking back control is not shared by many public sector colleagues even though it will swell our numbers xonsiderably

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Miftan posted:

Mental issues in soldiers is a very real and very serious issue. I'm not saying this guy has it, and I'm not sure if he saw professional if he was using that defence in court, but suggesting that mental issues, including battle stress, are made up to help soldiers get away with war crimes is a very slimy thing to do.
Listen squire I am fully aware that PTSD and so on is a Big Deal that not enough is done about.

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

Pissflaps posted:

Can't believe they didn't organise Brit-o-Vision for the 29th to get us in the mood.

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010
https://twitter.com/Kent_Online/status/846634193161506818

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

that kind of discrimination is sadly still common in the letting industry. but most people are smart enough to not put it in writing.

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

jBrereton posted:

Listen squire I am fully aware that PTSD and so on is a Big Deal that not enough is done about.

Then maybe don't write things like 'mental illness in soldiers is mostly an excuse to let them off the hook for murdering browns'

Whorelord
May 1, 2013

Jump into the well...

Cerv posted:

that kind of discrimination is sadly still common in the letting industry. but most people are smart enough to not put it in writing.

ages ago i remember hearing a really inefficient radio ad about this - saddam hussein rang up a letting agents trying to find a property but was denied.

sort of feel like the agents weren't at fault for not giving saddam hussein a house

haakman
May 5, 2011
For further evidence see Brown & Gay (1985) or any of the copycat studies published since.

It's a God send to happen today because I'm teaching a lesson on ethnic inequality and now I can fob off covering the Bellend Curve.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Miftan posted:

Then maybe don't write things like 'mental illness in soldiers is mostly an excuse to let them off the hook for murdering browns'

Yeah. Basically all the excuses offered by his soldiers on panorama (too far to take the wounded man back, he had grenades, we were egging Al on, you should be able to kill the enemy as and when) can be safely dismissed. As his superior Tom (?) said it's a sad situation but Al broke the law. I'd say manslaughter is probably a fair outcome and who knows? Maybe this high profile case will lead to greater understanding of poor mental health in men.

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Those wacky coloureds, always eating curry and nothing but. Namibian curries, South Carolingian curries, third generation mixed Black British curries.

Completely unsurprising that the oval office looks like a second rate Bernard Manning tribute act.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010
When I write the op foe the april thread on Friday I'm going to request no gendered slurs or attacks on people's looks. So make the most of the next few days!

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese
I eat curries on the reg and now my skin has transformed from ghostly pale to the colour of subcontinental mud. Now I can't get a house and have been forced to sleep underneath the bins at the local co-op.

Don't let it happen to your kids!

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

What I meant was that Leave/Remain as an identity is (for the time being) a stronger factor than class/gender/race at the moment.

Putting the more abstract discussion about stress/mental health aside for a moment I just don't understand how anyone who has read the Marine A transcripts could conclude that he wasn't in control of his actions and well aware of what he was doing.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Cerv posted:

It's Fergus Wilson. He's literally a landlord troll. A trolllord. He claimed a few months ago he was selling up -

https://www.theguardian.com/money/2016/dec/09/buy-to-let-landlord-days-numbered-fergus-wilson-tax-changes-mortgage-rules

but I guess not, after all?

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

Lord of the Llamas posted:

Putting the more abstract discussion about stress/mental health aside for a moment I just don't understand how anyone who has read the Marine A transcripts could conclude that he wasn't in control of his actions and well aware of what he was doing.

Why do you love the Taliban more than ARE BRAVE BOYS eh

Miftan
Mar 31, 2012

Terry knows what he can do with his bloody chocolate orange...

Breath Ray posted:

Yeah. Basically all the excuses offered by his soldiers on panorama (too far to take the wounded man back, he had grenades, we were egging Al on, you should be able to kill the enemy as and when) can be safely dismissed. As his superior Tom (?) said it's a sad situation but Al broke the law. I'd say manslaughter is probably a fair outcome and who knows? Maybe this high profile case will lead to greater understanding of poor mental health in men.

Unless they can prove some sort of mental issues it's still murder, I'm just saying that sweeping statements like jBreton made are unhelpful at best, and really scummy at worst.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Breath Ray posted:

Reducing to time served is ridiculous though. At the very least the original minimum sentence should have been imposed.

Praseodymi
Aug 26, 2010

Breath Ray posted:

When I write the op foe the april thread on Friday I'm going to request no gendered slurs or attacks on people's looks. So make the most of the next few days!

Didn't you just get chased out of WAYWT for your history of disparaging remarks about women's appearances?

Seaside Loafer
Feb 7, 2012

Waiting for a train, I needed a shit. You won't bee-lieve what happened next

DesperateDan posted:

Weirdly enough I have a strange (and very limited) sympathy for him because I kind of understand the motive. The guy he murdered was probably dead soon anyway. I can imagine if the situation were reversed he might have seen it as mercy, and certainly if I was bleeding out from being shot by an apache I would want it ended quick. It didn't change the fact he aknowledged it was illegal, did it anyway and then tried to cover it up.

Knew it was illegal. Did it anyway. Covered it up. Had he gotten away with it the army would have probably given him a medal instead, because that's just how they roll.
I actually somewhat sympathize as well which is unusual for me being a pacifist. By definition being a soldier with a gun fighting people must put you in a murdering frame of mind, kindof a requirement for the job isnt it.. And yes ive seen the execution and his words.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

TinTower posted:

"So, Mr Goebbels, do you have any response to the accusation that not only were you directly involved in the commission of genocide, you also engaged in human experimentation on prisoners of war?"
"I vos stressed."

Goebbels was Propaganda Minister, he neither ordered genocide (he wasn't at the Wannsee Conference, though he got the minutes afterwards), nor did he take part in human experimentation; regardless, you'd have had a hard time asking him that question at trial since he committed suicide alongside Hitler :sun:

(Not that he wasn't totally down with the whole idea, but I'm not sure that could be considered a war crime in and of itself unfortunately)

TomViolence
Feb 19, 2013

Seaside Loafer posted:

I actually somewhat sympathize as well which is unusual for me being a pacifist. By definition being a soldier with a gun fighting people must put you in a murdering frame of mind, kindof a requirement for the job isnt it.. And yes ive seen the execution and his words.

While it's cathartic to hum and haw over individual culpability and as much as I dislike what the bloke has come to symbolise in the national psyche, I reckon the system that created him is more at fault than anything. Still, what's really playing on my mind is...

are marines troops?

Lord of the Llamas
Jul 9, 2002

EULER'VE TO SEE IT VENN SOMEONE CALLS IT THE WRONG THING AND PROVOKES MY WRATH

MikeCrotch posted:

Why do you love the Taliban more than ARE BRAVE BOYS eh

Just a filthy lefty I guess ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

jBrereton
May 30, 2013
Grimey Drawer

TomViolence posted:

While it's cathartic to hum and haw over individual culpability and as much as I dislike what the bloke has come to symbolise in the national psyche, I reckon the system that created him is more at fault than anything. Still, what's really playing on my mind is...

are marines troops?
They tab rather than yomp, but they are troops.

kustomkarkommando
Oct 22, 2012

Brokenshire has said that if no executive is in place in Northern Ireland by the end of the April recess he will move to introduce legislation into the house of commons to set a regional rate for the year - most likely meaning an end to the 6 year rate freeze the DUP and SF both implemented

Party Boat
Nov 1, 2007

where did that other dog come from

who is he

TinTower posted:

Reducing to time served is ridiculous though. At the very least the original minimum sentence should have been imposed.

Unless I'm misunderstanding you custodial sentences take time already served into account as standard.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Party Boat posted:

Unless I'm misunderstanding you custodial sentences take time already served into account as standard.

His sentence was seven years, so he's eligible for release on licence after three and a half, which he has already served.

Basically I'm saying that giving him a standard sentence for manslaughter is ridiculous when the nature of the crime (being an admitted violation of IHL) should have been a major aggravating factor.

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Yes, but have you considered are brayve boyz.

Breath Ray
Nov 19, 2010

Praseodymi posted:

Didn't you just get chased out of WAYWT for your history of disparaging remarks about women's appearances?

Hardly chased out! I respectfully asked a woman contributor if she would like to hear my perspective on her outfit as a Cis man and she declined which im ok with.

https://youtu.be/eUnupeFBpHM

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Yerroner I know I cut off all her limbs and ate them but in my defence I was very angry at the time I did the killing so I claim diminished responsibility?

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

Breath Ray posted:

Seems he has a mental illness and claimed diminished responsibility?

look he just likes posting about how bad corbyn is

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
lol investing

https://twitter.com/tbiesheuvel/sta...%3D3229%23pti18

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JFairfax
Oct 23, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

is this real?