Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

The first review via IndieWire has dropped: ‘Ghost in the Shell’ Review: Scarlett Johansson Stars in a Dazzling Reboot That Lacks Character

quote:

Paramount’s all-new live-action reboot emerges as a dazzling logistical display with a missing file where the human interest might once have been stored.

Mamoru Oshii’s 1995 cyberpunk opus, “Ghost in the Shell,” was one of the first Japanese anime titles to cross over to Western audiences, and it’s been reissued and repackaged so often since the millennium that it’s scant surprise studio execs seized upon it as reproducible property. Possibly it was a matter of waiting: for digital effects houses to get up to spec, the right deals to be struck, and any accusations of cultural appropriation to blow over. Paramount’s all-new live-action “Ghost,” powered by hefty reserves of American and Asian money, emerges as a dazzling logistical display with a missing file where the human interest might once have been stored.

Fans need not blubber unduly. As overseen by “Snow White and the Huntsman” director Rupert Sanders, this transliteration would seem faithful enough to satiate those who just want to see favorite scenes and characters redrawn on the biggest screen imaginable. As that suggests, what’s been tinkered with is the scale. Oshii’s knotty postmodern inquiries into identity — a stopover on that sci-fi continuum connecting “Blade Runner” to “The Matrix” — are here stretched into IMAX-ready, 3D-enabled spectacle. Blown up to this magnitude, ideas already threadbare through 20 years of recycling start to look doubly thin.

More compelling than any of these figures, however, is the realm they pass through. Sanders’ flawed but glitzy “Snow White” rehash positioned him as a facilitator of lavishly visualized, if faintly derivative, worlds. Armed here with the latest modeling software and several skilled analogue collaborators, including production designer Jan Roelfs (“Gattaca”), emergent cinematographer Jess Hall (“Transcendence”), he goes into hyperdrive. Every scene thrusts out something to catch (and occasionally caress) the eye: murky drinking dens besieged by scuttling, arachnoid attendants, a watery virtual limbo where binary ones and zeroes float up like bubbles.

So yes, it’s the shiniest of kit; whether the emotions are stirred is another matter. Johansson sets the level of engagement, playing the impervious shell rather better than the restless ghost. In 2013’s unsettling “Under the Skin,” the actress was directed into signaling a hybrid’s dawning consciousness (and conscience); here, she’s limited to looking puzzled while convoluted plot elements stream around her. The time Johansson logged among the Avengers means she could perform the role’s rear end-kicking aspects in her sleep — but in so many other scenes, she appears to be on autopilot.

Supporting players are defined chiefly by their hairstyles. “Snowtown” ne’er-do-well Daniel Henshall models a mullet that identifies him as an individual of questionable judgement; Major’s sidekick Pilou Asbaek sports a shock of white fluff that might work for manga heroes but turns grown men into Billy Idol tribute acts. As his explosion-blackened corneas are replaced with ophthalmic lenses, you sense a rampant techno-decorousness beginning to consume the performers. That instinct is compounded upon seeing Buddhist monks plugged into a towering cable router redolent of the Tree of Life in “Avatar.” Like much else here, it’s striking but second-hand.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
http://www.metacritic.com/movie/ghost-in-the-shell-2017

6 reviews are in, score: 64

Someone's head is gonna roll if it stays like that.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
I will still consider it a good movie if it retains the "1.5 hour music video" format that Tron: Legacy used.

LeJackal
Apr 5, 2011

Woof Blitzer posted:

I will still consider it a good movie if it retains the "1.5 hour music video" format that Tron: Legacy used.

Tron: Legacy could have been so much better with just a smidge of script tightening.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I think some of us predicted it was going to be okay, and so far the reviews have been 'okay'.

So...we were right?

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010
I had money on 'forgettable'

Does that count?

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Snowman_McK posted:

I had money on 'forgettable'

Does that count?

If that happens, we'll say that's a bonus.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Junior Jr. posted:

I think some of us predicted it was going to be okay, and so far the reviews have been 'okay'.

So...we were right?

That's what everybody expected, a "drink too much beer and watch blinkenlights" movie that is forgotten a week later, not just "some".

Also the positive reviews stem from people who demonstrate they haven't seen the original.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

^^^ Those are the best kind of reviews. Reviews free of complaining that things are different (I say as someone who considers GitS95 one of his favorite films).

Dazzlingly pretty but without narrative meat is the message I think everyone was getting. I'm perfectly okay with eye candy and a Clint Mansell soundtrack. When the imagery is on the this level, I'm willing to forgive a lot.

Seeing it in about nine hours.

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Woof Blitzer posted:

I have that same opinion. Legacy was a great music video. I'm seeing this in a few days and I'll be ok with good eye candy and sound design.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Mithaldu posted:

That's what everybody expected, a "drink too much beer and watch blinkenlights" movie that is forgotten a week later, not just "some".

Also the positive reviews stem from people who demonstrate they haven't seen the original.

Yeah, it's really funny on Rotten Tomatoes, Mike McCahill's IndieWire review is the top spot, which is the most damning with praise review I've seen in awhile. It's funny that review has a B- on the site but is treated on both Metacritic and RT as 67%

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

In a way i feel it is deserved, they could have named it something else and would be scored entirely on their own merits, but they couldn't refuse that sweet brand recognition.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
Whoa holy crap this isn't cyber Citizen Kane, I'll take my hard earned simoleans somewhere else!! - someone ITT probably

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Mithaldu posted:

In a way i feel it is deserved, they could have named it something else and would be scored entirely on their own merits, but they couldn't refuse that sweet brand recognition.

Well, no it couldn't, it's not that far removed. You can't recreate the iconic sequences in this detail and not have a lawsuit.

It's GitS re-imagined as an spectacle based action film and it should be judged on those merits. Not by complaining that it isn't like whichever of the previous iterations the viewer liked.

This franchise in particular is well suited to this kind of metamorphosis, as it's shifted styles and genres heavily with each new adaptation. The personalities change, the tone changes, the plots change. The basic themes, images, and sequences remain. Taking those elements and transposing them to a new genre is exactly what a new GitS should be.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

GITS : Lady Robocop would've been a fine title and trimmed expectations.

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mithaldu posted:

You've got it backwards: Brand loyalty is bad, and one should look past its superficial content in order to judge something on its own merits, otherwise one is merely being willfully prejudiced. Your claims as to what the filmmakers "deserved" is a fundamentally anti-critical stance. You can either care about the potential merits of a work and critically appraising them, or you can be earnest that reactionary emotions to superficial content was all that mattered, and that you are not actually engaged in the project of criticism at all.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Bugblatter posted:

Well, no it couldn't, it's not that far removed. You can't recreate the iconic sequences in this detail and not have a lawsuit.

Ummm...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y3tF7TL0Qh4&t=91s

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Are you ever actually going to make an effort or are you content with being a fifth-rate smg?

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Mithaldu posted:

Are you ever actually going to make an effort or are you content with being a fifth-rate smg?

See, this is the sputtering nonsense that I'm talking about. What does smg have to do with anything? I have only repeated your claim that merit matters less than brand, but pointed out that merit should be above brand, above nostalgia for the good times you had with that particular act of consumption.

HIJK
Nov 25, 2012
in the room where you sleep
Anybody seen it yet?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Those are some similar shots and homages. This film is literally recreating the tank fight, garbage truck chase, canal fight, killer geishas, and building dive all in one movie.

Mithaldu posted:

He stated a not uncommon stance on the critical approach?

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Nevermind I'm a dumbass.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

Brand loyalty does matter. I'll go see a Star Trek movie even if it looks terrible, because even if it really is terrible, more sales means more chance they'll make another one that might be better.

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

Mithaldu posted:

You're allowed to judge the film based on it's own merits, regardless of what brand are attached to it. You don't need to ask permission.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Mithaldu posted:

K.Waste is pretty alright.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Bugblatter posted:

So, they could have made their own movie, but they would have had to come up with their own action set pieces rather than recreating them, but somehow doing them worse. You're not making a very good case for the idea that this needed to be GITS movie.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Snowman_McK posted:

So, they could have made their own movie, but they would have had to come up with their own action set pieces rather than recreating them, but somehow doing them worse. You're not making a very good case for the idea that this needed to be GITS movie.

Sure, they could have... made a completely different movie? Or they could have made an adaptation, which they did.

Adaptations are cool and good when they explore new territory with familiar elements. GitS has been popcorn narratives with slapstick humor and technogeek daydreaming, moody philosophical intrigue, and a police procedural that posed speculative ethical questions. Now it's a action film with superhero leanings. This is just carrying on the tradition.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Mar 29, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

FuturePastNow posted:

Brand loyalty does matter. I'll go see a Star Trek movie even if it looks terrible, because even if it really is terrible, more sales means more chance they'll make another one that might be better.

What? It doesn't work like that!

If a movie has less sales, that should mean there's something wrong with it and the production company behind it should take notice when making a better film. More sales just means you want more of the same lovely movie.

Bugblatter posted:

Sure, they could have... made a completely different movie? Or they could have made an adaptation, which they did.

Adaptations are cool and good when they explore new territory with familiar elements. GitS has been popcorn narratives with slapstick humor and technogeek daydreaming, moody philosophical intrigue, and a police procedural that posed speculative ethical questions. Now it's a action film with superhero leanings. This is just carrying on the tradition.

I think one of the points in GITS 1995 is that it focused on the Puppet Master and NOT on Kusanagi, yes there are a couple of scenes where she gets philosophical with Batou but that's it.

The story was about the Puppet Master, not the Major, that's why you know little about her back story because it makes her more mysterious and apparently 'less is more'. Besides if you really wanted to know what she's like off-duty, that's what the manga told.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 09:25 on Mar 29, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
Sorry, forgot to edit this into my previous post.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

HIJK posted:

Anybody seen it yet?
I guess I could take one for the team and attend a screening at a small art cinema theater tonight.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Josh Lyman posted:

I guess I could take one for the team and attend a screening at a small art cinema theater tonight.

Please get a picture of the art cinema's ticket seller when you ask for the ticket.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I'm seeing it in about an hour.

I'm not taking a picture of any theater staff, as if they give two shits what movies the customers see.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Bugblatter posted:

He stated a not uncommon stance on the critical approach?
He doesn't even know what brand loyalty means.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Total Film and Empire both awarded 3/5.

Seems to be generally getting 3's or 4's. Conclusion is it's pretty but doesn't do anything new.

quote:

Why, given that Sexy Fighting Robot Lady, has a Barbie body, does she bother with underpants and clothes in some scenes but not in others? Do Donald Duck rules apply?

Irish Times with the hard hitting questions there.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Saw it. Visually, audibly, fantastic. I was pleased that it's a much slower moody burn than prerelease material indicated. The cast was mostly solid. I'll call it the best cyberpunk world yet depicted in live action. Not that there's much else out there, but the setting is extremely good and well realized.

The writing is the weak link, as everyone guessed. It starts fine, but is never reaches a point that is compelling. The elephant in the room aside, the only offensively bad part is the villain who is so thinly written as to be pointless. Would have been better left a faceless corporation. You've all already guessed every beat of the plot, except maybe the fact that Kuze is also playing the role of The Puppet Master. Although it serves no significance beyond possible sequel material

A handful of key scenes are really excellent.

The scenes released online are poor indication of the final film's style. The "first five minutes" are neither the start of the film, nor is that sequence only five minutes. The advertisers essentially edited a more action packed cliff-notes version of the scene. Same goes for the canal fight.

I'll see it again in cinemas, as the experience of the world and its mood really drew me in, and it's worth the big screen. I'd like a sequel set in this world... a script that was less vapid.

I'm not going to evaluate it with stars or anything. If you're the kind of person that could get lost in Tron or the theatrical cut of Blade Runner, you'll find a lot to like. I'm pretty sure you already know if that description fits you or not.

Regarding the weird underwear nitpick above... I guess they mean the outfit she wears in her apartment? She treats clothes like a normal human. She's wearing a stealth suit in most other scenes, I guess the reviewer misidentified that as her body. (Her body, seen during the shelling and when she strips out of her wetsuit, looks completely different.)

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:15 on Mar 29, 2017

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

At this point i'd be happy if it was as pretty as Battleship. How does it compare to that?

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I recall Battleship being kind of bland to look at? I barely remember it though.

This movie is gorgeous.

Edit: One potentially big disappointment to get out of the way: The original theme does not play until the end credits. Not evening for the shelling. Although Clint Mansell's theme is also nice.

Edit 2: The more I think back to scenes, the more I remember ones in the first half that I really loved. In fact during the first third I remember being shocked at how much I was loving so much of it. The final act is so limp it kind of made the whole plot feel bland, I guess... these are really immediate impressions. The movie ended like 30 minutes ago.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 14:22 on Mar 29, 2017

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Battleship was dumb as hell and pretty as hell, kinda like a kojima movie where all the writing went into nice art.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

I can't wait to entertain you.

Bugblatter posted:

The scenes released online are poor indication of the final film's style. The "first five minutes" are neither the start of the film, nor is that sequence only five minutes. The advertisers essentially edited a more action packed cliff-notes version of the scene. Same goes for the canal fight.

Very glad to read this, because the previews for those two scenes looked stilted and choppy as hell.

Did you see this in 2D or 3D? Seems like 3D might be worth it?

Currently at 68% on RT with 23 reviews in.

Teek fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Mar 29, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord
I might consider checking this out, only because I'm making the most out of my gift card, will report back soon.

Also, if they don't even play King of My Castle somewhere as an easter egg, I'm going to be very disappointed.

• Locked thread