Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ursine Catastrophe
Nov 9, 2009

It's a lovely morning in the void and you are a horrible lady-in-waiting.

don't ask how i know

Dinosaur Gum

bowmore posted:

yeah a circle pops up and is ticking down but no idea what it means

go to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bowmore
Oct 6, 2008

Lipstick Apathy
ok i'll try that cheers

kater
Nov 16, 2010

geez.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

When the korok shows up make sure and hit A to dismiss the text box. B is also fine.

Lodin
Jul 31, 2003

by Fluffdaddy
I have a weird bug. Yesterday I took out the two shrines on top of Dueling Peaks and the one higher up is still orange. It's marked blue on the map and the monk inside is gone so it's clearly finished. Not a big deal, just strange.

One thing I'd be interested in is a port of Hyrule Warriors to Switch. They would obviously have to add one or more stages from BotW and other stuff. The four Champions are pretty obvious new playable characters. Also want to fart around as Hestu and shout WU TANG.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

You press New Game when you first pick up the game and Continue when you want to go back to playing it after you've already started. Not the other way around. Believe me buddy, you don't want to find this out the hard way like I did

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Lodin posted:

I have a weird bug. Yesterday I took out the two shrines on top of Dueling Peaks and the one higher up is still orange. It's marked blue on the map and the monk inside is gone so it's clearly finished. Not a big deal, just strange.

There's a third shrine directly below at river-level, so all three get clustered together on the map. Maybe that's the one showing up orange?

EDIT: or I think I misunderstood, I thought you meant marked orange/unvisited on the map, not physically glowing orange in-game.

Supercar Gautier fucked around with this message at 13:24 on Mar 29, 2017

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

Augus posted:

You press New Game when you first pick up the game and Continue when you want to go back to playing it after you've already started. Not the other way around. Believe me buddy, you don't want to find this out the hard way like I did

Is... Is this your first video game ever?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

Re: Hero's Cache.

My current guess is that I'm supposed to use this rock as a sundial. Am I on the right track?

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Jonas Albrecht posted:

My current guess is that I'm supposed to use this rock as a sundial. Am I on the right track?

Yeah

RCarr
Dec 24, 2007

Supercar Gautier posted:

There's a third shrine directly below at river-level, so all three get clustered together on the map. Maybe that's the one showing up orange?

This is precious. It turns out you want to turn off the console when you're DONE playing, too!

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jonas Albrecht posted:

If you have pro HUD turned on, remember​ the regular HUD has an actual clock. Might want to turn it on for this one.

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Calaveron posted:

Is... Is this your first video game ever?

:thejoke:

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

parallelodad posted:

If you have pro HUD turned on, remember​ the regular HUD has an actual clock. Might want to turn it on for this one.

Yeah, I've got it turned on and I've been assuming 5pm is the time I want, but I'm missing something.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Yeah, I've got it turned on and I've been assuming 5pm is the time I want, but I'm missing something.

Well you've dug stuff out of the ocean before, right? Or perhaps out of a lake after one of your first few trials?

Jonas Albrecht
Jun 7, 2012

parallelodad posted:

Well you've dug stuff out of the ocean before, right? Or perhaps out of a lake after one of your first few trials?

Hahaha, I thought this was a shrine quest. If only I had paid attention to the subtle hint of it not being listed under "Shrine Quests".

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

DalaranJ posted:

It's like Witcher 3. Kill all the enemies to repopulate the settlement.

Good luck. :unsmigghh:

It's actually pretty easy once you get behind them. Bonk bonk with the master sword, more ancient parts for your collection.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
It's weirdly satisfying to sneak up on a Guardian and hack them to pieces while they frantically fire at nothing in a blind panic. This is payback for all those times you one-shot me, you lovely Beamos knockoff! :black101:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I'm bouncing back and forth between the HD versions of Wind Waker and Twilight Princess and it's kind of fun to compare and contrast the two.

First: sorry, Epona, but I like sailing around the Great Sea so much more than I like riding a horse (who somehow has the turning radius of my goddamn boat from Wind Waker) across a barren field while annoying birds divebomb me. People complain about how empty the Great Sea is but it's relaxing and pleasant to sail across, not to mention everything else in the game is way nicer to look at.

But second: hoo boy does Twilight Princess ever have better dungeons than Wind Waker. I'm only a couple dungeons in and I can already tell a lot more thought went into them in Twilight Princess. I also like how, so far, each dungeon has had friendly NPCs in it who aren't a companion for the whole dungeon but who help you solve things or give you things. The Goron Mines mini-boss being just a Goron guard doing his job was great. (Actually so far I like the mini-bosses better than the bosses--both of them were really fun to fight.)

I want a Zelda game with Wind Waker's... everything, but Twilight Princess's dungeon design and quantity. (If it ended up somehow incorporating Breath of the Wild's physics, puzzle design, and general freedom of traversal, it'd be the perfect Zelda game :v:)

Oh, one other thing: it's cool that I can run and swing my sword at the same time in Twilight Princess, but I barely notice that I can't in Wind Waker. Meanwhile, I really notice that I can't move while aiming in Twilight Princess. It really made the boss where you have to use the bow a worse experience, because he had to leave huge openings for you to aim since you wouldn't be able to dodge if he attacked you while you had your bow out. I have no idea why you can't, either, because Wind Waker has no problem at all letting you move while aiming in first person.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:14 on Mar 29, 2017

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Where the hell is my SWORD?
Grimey Drawer
If they were to give SS level dungeons and bosses in a game with the BotW engine I would be the happiest person ever

Nephzinho
Jan 25, 2008

Jonas Albrecht posted:

Hahaha, I thought this was a shrine quest. If only I had paid attention to the subtle hint of it not being listed under "Shrine Quests".

I way, way overthought that one too. I brought a boat and sailed in the direction the shadow pointed to the edge of the map and wondered where the drat thing was.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Kashuno posted:

If they were to give SS level dungeons and bosses in a game with the BotW engine I would be the happiest person ever

Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda game I never even owned so I don't know anything about the dungeons. I take it they're good?

I really love Skyward Sword's visual style, too. I hope Nintendo never tries to do another "gritty"-looking Zelda again because Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild all look so nice with their animated and/or painting-like styles. Also why do so many of the humans in Twilight Princess need to look so grotesque oh god :psyduck: Even Link has a weird doll face, though he does look much better than most of the human characters.

I hope we get a Skyward Sword HD on Switch, maybe with some way to speed up the opening and the option to just use the analog sticks for flying and swimming. The Switch's joycons can easily stand in for the Wiimotes for all the other motion control stuff but I haven't seen anyone say they liked using motion control for flying and swimming. But I bet 1080p Skyward Sword with improved lighting would be gorgeous.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I had this brief moment where I just burned out because dark souls dlc is out and I have like 4 high priority games I bought on backlog. So I was like time to b line for the end. Then I just forgot and dicked around in Zelda for 4 more hours last night. Guess I'm in it for the long haul.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Harrow posted:

Skyward Sword is the only 3D Zelda game I never even owned so I don't know anything about the dungeons. I take it they're good?

I really love Skyward Sword's visual style, too. I hope Nintendo never tries to do another "gritty"-looking Zelda again because Wind Waker, Skyward Sword, and Breath of the Wild all look so nice with their animated and/or painting-like styles. Also why do so many of the humans in Twilight Princess need to look so grotesque oh god :psyduck: Even Link has a weird doll face, though he does look much better than most of the human characters.

I hope we get a Skyward Sword HD on Switch, maybe with some way to speed up the opening and the option to just use the analog sticks for flying and swimming. The Switch's joycons can easily stand in for the Wiimotes for all the other motion control stuff but I haven't seen anyone say they liked using motion control for flying and swimming. But I bet 1080p Skyward Sword with improved lighting would be gorgeous.

Sky Keep, Ancient Cistern, Lanayru Mines, Sandship are all unfortgettably good. Even the ones that aren't top of the top such as Skyview, Earth Temple, and Fire Sanctuary aren't badly designed, just not as absolutely stellar as the first listing. Ancient Cistern is one of the best dungeons they've ever made, if not the absolute best, and the bosses in SS were all pretty fun. some people hate the controls but honestly it wasn't a big deal.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Emulated Skyward Sword looks nice, if a little overbloomed. If they changed that up a little (or just made it look more like the gorgeous 2008 Prince Of Persia game) then I'd be into it.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

Harrow posted:

I agree, and it's funny because when WW came out, people were like, "Hey give us mature gritty Link like what we saw in that Gamecube sizzle reel." Everyone got their wish with Twilight Princess and, welp.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

I think having the option not to use motion controls for things where that's practical would be great in a hypothetical HD remake. Obviously the swordfighting needs motion controls, but I've basically only heard good things about that so I figure that's a good thing anyway. And gyro aiming is good and cool. I just don't really want to have to use it for moving around, especially when you apparently have to do some uncomfortable motions to move downward.

Full disclosure, though, I never even got through the tutorial in Skyward Sword before I got bored and gave up. I was playing my roommate's copy and was busy with grad school stuff, in defense of my own lack of patience, but still, it's the one 3D Zelda game I've never even given a real chance. I'm not even opposed to linearity, really, or I'd wouldn't love Wind Waker as much as I do.

Jose Oquendo posted:

I agree, and it's funny because when WW came out, people were like, "Hey give us mature gritty Link like what we saw in that Gamecube sizzle reel." Everyone got their wish with Twilight Princess and, welp.

When Wind Waker was being previewed in Nintendo Power and stuff, I was really against it. (In my defense, I was like 14-15 at the time.) I had seen screen shots from the "realistic" GameCube tech demo and was so excited for a Zelda game with those dramatic shadows and realistic graphics, so all the screen shots of Wind Waker just looked silly to me. Plus, I'd seen cel shading done before then and really wasn't sold on it.

Then I got the game a bit after it came out, saw it in motion, and immediately realized how wrong I was.

Harrow fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Mar 29, 2017

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Kashuno posted:

most of the bosses in SS are super lame though? Koloktos and Ghirahim are cool as gently caress but otherwise :effort:

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012
Skyward Sword takes way too long to get going. It's low points are pretty low, but it's high points are pretty loving high. It still has my favorite boss fights of any Zelda title. All Ghirahim fights, Koloktos... the Sandship boss in particular is great for the way it subverts the usual boss room mechanics by having the 'boss room' just be the trigger for the boss to start tearing apart the entire dungeon in an effort to kill you. Even if the fight itself was a little disappointing, escaping the sinking sandship as the whole thing starts tilting and flooding while humongous tentacles smash through the walls and try to grab you and block your path was an absolute loving rush and one of the best and coolest things in any Zelda.

atholbrose
Feb 28, 2001

Splish!

I had a really productive session yesterday, and it felt really good. I went to the two towns I hadn't yet visited to find people there for a quest, unlocking map areas I hadn't done yet along the way. Got new quests, finished old ones that had been hanging around for a while, found two memories, finally got a couple of ancient cores so I could upgrade Stasis. Today, I just need to focus on doing some shrines; I think I need a few more heart and stamina upgrades before I go much further. Hello, all you shrine quests I have been ignoring!

There's something special about this game, both when you're actively trying to do something and when you're just wandering. I'm never going to finish before Persona 5 hits... and I think I'm okay with that. I'll get to it eventually.

GobiasIndustries
Dec 14, 2007

Lipstick Apathy

JustJeff88 posted:

I hope that your experience is as painless as mine. I did the island without cheesing it in any way, and it went very smoothly. The only dodgy bit was when I accidentally awoke the Hinox after after getting his sphere, but I ran far enough away that he stopped bothering me. As for the dark bit, I was in my Stealth suit and I ended up picking up the sphere while on top of the Hinox, and never knew that he was there until I had activated the shrine. I am rather glad that this happened or I would have been very scared going in.

I had a lot of fun on the island actually. I managed to kill the Hinox by dropping the boulder off the top of the plateau on him to wake him up, chucking a ton of bombs on him while he was walking up, then bashing his head in with the crates you can magnetize while running around

edit: what are the weapons you get from beating the 4 divine beasts, and can you replace them if you accidentally broke one? I might have lost the one after the flying beast.

GobiasIndustries fucked around with this message at 15:14 on Mar 29, 2017

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Wrt to Skyward Sword HD, I kinda feel like they could get by with just binding the sword controls to the right stick on a traditional controller, like Blade Mode in MGR. It'd feel a little awkward, but it's not like you need to use the sword in tandem with face buttons and combat is slow enough that you could probably hop back and forth between stick and buttons without too much trouble.

Spergatory
Oct 28, 2012

GobiasIndustries posted:

edit: what are the weapons you get from beating the 4 divine beasts, and can you replace them if you accidentally broke one? I might have lost the one after the flying beast.

All Divine Beast weapons are replaceable, there's one NPC in each Divine Beast town who will build you a new one if you talk to them and bring them the right materials. The Rito one in particular is super easy to replace because the bow you need to give the guy is literally in the same room as the guy.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

ChaosArgate posted:

Wrt to Skyward Sword HD, I kinda feel like they could get by with just binding the sword controls to the right stick on a traditional controller, like Blade Mode in MGR. It'd feel a little awkward, but it's not like you need to use the sword in tandem with face buttons and combat is slow enough that you could probably hop back and forth between stick and buttons without too much trouble.

Apparently there are ways to do that with an emulator, though I haven't looked into it much.

If they made Skyward Sword HD for Switch I don't think they'd really need to give you a way around the motion control swordfighting, and I suspect it'd be even better because I'm pretty sure the JoyCons have more accurate motion control than the Wii Motion Plus.

GobiasIndustries posted:

The weapons are:
  • Vah Ruta - Lightscale Trident
  • Vah Medoh - Great Eagle Bow (long-range triple-shot bow :iia:)
  • Vah Rudania - Boulder Breaker
  • Vah Naboris - Scimitar of the Seven and Daybreaker (sword and shield)
There's a smith or crafter in every race's town who can remake the Champion weapons for you if you break them or lose them. It always takes a lower-tier weapon, a diamond, and one other item. For example, to remake the bow, you need a Swallow Bow, a diamond, and 10 bundles of wood. (Also the guy who can remake it for you has a Swallow Bow in his house and doesn't mind if you take it, so it's maybe the easiest weapon to remake.) Reforging these weapons is why I always kept a few diamonds on hand, but really it's only the bow that I wanted to always keep around because it's my favorite bow to use. Sure, there's a five-shot Lynel bow but the Rito bow has way better range and I love that.

Runcible Cat
May 28, 2007

Ignoring this post

Kashuno posted:

I want time stones in BotW. Oh god how I want time stones in BotW.

Kashuno
Oct 9, 2012

Grimey Drawer

Runcible Cat posted:

jfc to be able to climb/traverse certain regions by finding a time stone in the surrounding area would be AMAZING.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Nephzinho posted:

Yes, if you talk to him after he just says you're great and you get complete.
My favorite of these is when you get a 300 rupee chest before asking him, he plays a song about how a hero left a great treasure and then goes, uh, well, i guess great heroes wouldn't really have a ton of money anyway now that i think about it

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Runcible Cat posted:

Lanayru really does feel like the one place in Skyward Sword where they dumped all the awesome ideas.

The Anime Liker
Aug 8, 2009

by VideoGames

veni veni veni posted:

Did you guys find yourself using horses much. I think I've spent like an hour on horseback out of the 30+ I've played.

There are horses?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

veni veni veni posted:

Did you guys find yourself using horses much. I think I've spent like an hour on horseback out of the 30+ I've played.

Not much, no. I tried to use horses more towards the end just because I found them fun, but the amount of things you climb or swim to reach (so your horse can't follow) really limits their usefulness. There should've been a Horse Call rune that just lets you teleport your horse to you. I'd have used horses a lot more then.