Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
As a former worker of a 14x3 overnight shift, I highly recommend an ambien prescription. Just don't forget to go to sleep when you take it or you will wake up to some weird looks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON

signalnoise posted:

You can see it from the side, and I don't wanna gently caress up the wall with constant heat

I think you're severely overestimating how much heat a traditionally refrigerated water cooler's coils put out. I've had one pushed up against the wall (with maybe a 1.5" gap) in my kitchen for six years and there isn't any change to the paint color behind it from heat coming off the coils.

Gin_Rummy
Aug 4, 2007
Can anyone recommend a micro-USB charging cable that won't fly out of my loving phone under a slight breeze?

The stock one that came with my phone still holds in there tight, but it's frayed to poo poo so I try to avoid using it. I believe the one I currently use is a 10 ft Belkin, and the little anchors/clips that are supposed to protrude from the male adapter to hold it in place when plugged into my phone don't seem to stick out at all.

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
I always suggest Anker for all USB charging needs. Their cables are top notch and their portable batteries and wall chargers are excellent as well.

baquerd
Jul 2, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Geoj posted:

I always suggest Anker for all USB charging needs. Their cables are top notch and their portable batteries and wall chargers are excellent as well.

Seconded. They have a quality feel.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

The Puppy Bowl posted:

About to start a dedicated midnight shift so I need pretty much everything that can help you sleep soundly through the day.

My bed room window is set up in such a way that black out curtains are a no go so I'm thinking sleep mask, white noise machine (I live in the city), and some kind of sleep aid. For that sleep aide I'm looking for a tea or maybe melatonin. Nothing too hardcore.

On the white noise front I have a Philips clock radio with an iPod/iPhone dock. I used an iPhone app called Ambience to make my own white noise mixes and then offloaded them to my computer so I could edit them down into seamless loops.

I love having just the right amount of bass and treble noise to try and mask the stupid all night bullshit from my neighbors.

Chef Bourgeoisie
Oct 9, 2016

by Reene
I'm looking for a decent pizza stone to be used in my oven. Thoughts?

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Dick Trauma posted:

On the white noise front I have a Philips clock radio with an iPod/iPhone dock. I used an iPhone app called Ambience to make my own white noise mixes and then offloaded them to my computer so I could edit them down into seamless loops.

I love having just the right amount of bass and treble noise to try and mask the stupid all night bullshit from my neighbors.

yeah, you really don't need a machine for white noise; there's a lot of great apps and youtube channels that can do this and you have a ton of options to work out what's best for you, so I would look for a phone dock or my own solution, having the computer in the bedroom.

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

A sheet of steel.

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

Yeah there is a YouTube channel for white noise that I love.
One of them is "Busy Bistro" and it puts me out right away.

A lot of Zen soundtracks are highly distracting to me, for some reason. But then again, I can't read books in silence.

Oh right, ADD.

Etrips
Nov 9, 2004

Having Teemo Problems?
I Feel Bad For You, Son.
I Got 99 Shrooms
And You Just Hit One.
I love using a HEPA air filter as my white noise.

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Chef Bourgeoisie posted:

Pizza Steel

I like listening to drone tracks for 'white noise'. Stuff like Outer Tehom by Dronny Darko.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Any excuse to link this video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sc6wl1m2Aro&t=503s

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I'm looking for one of those stand up mirrors that open up and you can store jewelery inside.
They had one at a local store but it was rickety crap.

Jmcrofts
Jan 7, 2008

just chillin' in the club
Lipstick Apathy
Are soundbars any good? If so could someone recommend me one? If not any other recommendations for speakers for my TV that won't take up very much space?

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Jmcrofts posted:

Are soundbars any good? If so could someone recommend me one? If not any other recommendations for speakers for my TV that won't take up very much space?

Soundbars are generally not that great. What kind of space is 'not very much'? What do you want to get out of it?

e: Come post in the home audio thread

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Jmcrofts posted:

Agreed post in the soundbar thread, but it's a convenience option for space. Like, I have one that I only use to play video games in a tiny room, and it's pretty great for saving space that way, and surround sound was a non-option. Depends on your situation.

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.

If that's too quiet you can always go a little louder: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8-R90qgbiic

Lawen
Aug 7, 2000

Jmcrofts posted:

Generally speaking, you can get better quality sound and better separation for the same money if you don't go the soundbar route but if the size/shape of your room makes a receiver and multi speaker setup not feasible, soundbars are a good option.

You can spend a shitload on a soundbar (SONOS Playbar) or get a pretty good one for fairly cheap (Vizio). Check out wirecutter's reviews (http://thewirecutter.com/?s=Soundbar)

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

For a specific recommendation, I have this one for my small room

Yamaha ATS 1050

I like it a lot, but buyer beware, mounting is a huge pain in the rear end because it doesn't have built-in VESA mount points

Geoj
May 28, 2008

BITTER POOR PERSON
Honestly audiophile :spergin: aside you don't really realize how terrible flatscreen speakers are until you try something else. My TV has better than average speakers, but I was still missing a wide range of sound both above and below what the TV was capable of that I didn't even realize I was missing until adding a sound bar. Yes, a true surround sound system is better but not everyone wants to drop $500+ on a receiver and speakers, and in my case my house was built in the 20s - my living room is 10'x 13' and I don't even want to think about trying to drag speaker cable through the lath and plaster walls.

Geoj has a new favorite as of 20:52 on Mar 29, 2017

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

Then one day I meet a man,
He came to me and said,
"Hard work good and hard work fine,
but first take care of head"
Grimey Drawer
I am looking for some good slippers. I have need ones with rubber soles and both comfortable and durable. I killed my last "nice" pair in under a year.

Sweethome likes these:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B...6011&th=1&psc=1

Anyone have a pair? I would love to know how they hold up.

Marius Pontmercy
Apr 2, 2007

Liberte
Egalite
Beyonce
I had Halflingers with the wool sole for four years and I loved them. My mom stole them when I went to college and she stills uses them 10 years later. I'm not sure how the rubber sole holds up, but the wool sole is nice and light and doesn't feel like a shoe at all.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bongwizzard posted:

I am looking for some good slippers. I have need ones with rubber soles and both comfortable and durable. I killed my last "nice" pair in under a year.

Sweethome likes these:

Uniqlo!

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer

Eponine posted:

I had Halflingers with the wool sole for four years and I loved them. My mom stole them when I went to college and she stills uses them 10 years later. I'm not sure how the rubber sole holds up, but the wool sole is nice and light and doesn't feel like a shoe at all.

I need the hard sole, as my house is half rough finished brick,half hardwood. Plus I'm always having to run outside to grab more firewood or let the dog out.

Is there a specific one you can recommend? Only clothing of theirs I've ever tried is there AirSim undershirts, which I do like a great deal.

Kilometers Davis
Jul 9, 2007

They begin again

bongwizzard posted:

Is there a specific one you can recommend? Only clothing of theirs I've ever tried is there AirSim undershirts, which I do like a great deal.

I grabbed the standard room shoes. They're cheap and lasted a year under my giant goon body which is exactly what I wanted out of them. They're still in great shape but the padding has flattened. The soles aren't super hard. Flexible but solid and have a nice smooth rubberized feel. They're very minimal slippers.

KoB
May 1, 2009

bongwizzard posted:

Sweethome likes these:

Ive had these for a few years now and I really like them.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Shopping for a height-adjustable desk. Currently looking at

https://www.autonomous.ai/smartdesk-sit-to-stand-height-adjustable-standing-desk

or, if I wanna spend a little more,

http://www.thehumansolution.com/stand-up-desk-with-bamboo-top.html

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

I am also in the market for a new desk. This giant Ikea nonsense isn't cutting it.

Also, desk chairs. Lay it on me. A high back and lumbar support are key.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

I am also in the market for a new desk. This giant Ikea nonsense isn't cutting it.

Also, desk chairs. Lay it on me. A high back and lumbar support are key.

What's wrong with the ikea desk? Which one do you have, what don't you like about it? What are you looking for instead?

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

What's wrong with the ikea desk? Which one do you have, what don't you like about it? What are you looking for instead?

It's very flimsy and GIANT. I bought it when I still used a large Wacom tablet on the desk.

I need space for a normal setup with two monitors. We have VariDesk toppers at work and I love them. Either I'd pick up one of those or get a height adjustable desk.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

It's very flimsy and GIANT. I bought it when I still used a large Wacom tablet on the desk.

I need space for a normal setup with two monitors. We have VariDesk toppers at work and I love them. Either I'd pick up one of those or get a height adjustable desk.

Sounds like you got something other than the Bekant

This is an ikea desk

signalnoise has a new favorite as of 00:42 on Apr 1, 2017

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

Sounds like you got something other than the Bekant

Uhh yeah. It was $40. It's just 4 slabs of hollow particle board. The Bekant is slick but $500??

I'll just spend $90 on a smaller and better built normal desk.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Uhh yeah. It was $40. It's just 4 slabs of hollow particle board. The Bekant is slick but $500??

I'll just spend $90 on a smaller and better built normal desk.

That's the sit/stand model. A normal Bekant is sturdy as hell and like 150

Inzombiac
Mar 19, 2007

PARTY ALL NIGHT

EAT BRAINS ALL DAY

signalnoise posted:

That's the sit/stand model. A normal Bekant is sturdy as hell and like 150

Oh, I didn't see that option. Do they normally carry them in stores? I live near one and like to just pick it up.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Inzombiac posted:

Oh, I didn't see that option. Do they normally carry them in stores? I live near one and like to just pick it up.

Pretty sure it's a regular item yeah

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Eponine posted:

I too have the wool sole ones, I like them a lot and can't imagine the rubber sole ones are anything other than also great.

Leave
Feb 7, 2012

Taking the term "Koopaling" to a whole new level since 2016.
I'm not sure where else to ask this question, but I've had a pin put into my wrist a few years ago. Using a regular mouse for a while makes my wrist ache. Would a trackball be a better method of using my computer? I mostly just play games and do LP stuff.

If that is a better option, which would be a good choice?

bongwizzard
May 19, 2005

He came to me and said,
Grimey Drawer
Thanks guys, very excited for my fancy slippers!

AnimalChin
Feb 1, 2006

Leavemywife posted:

I'm not sure where else to ask this question, but I've had a pin put into my wrist a few years ago. Using a regular mouse for a while makes my wrist ache. Would a trackball be a better method of using my computer? I mostly just play games and do LP stuff.

If that is a better option, which would be a good choice?

Trackballs are awesome! I can't help with the wrist-pin question (sorry) but the Logitech M570 is the best trackball.

A lot of us trackball users are hoping logitech will make the next iteration of this with more buttons/features.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

Though it sounds weird, the best performances I've ever had in a first person shooter were with the old Logitech Marble mouse. Two buttons and a bigass ball in the middle. I got really good at the old flick and stop for quick aiming.