Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
loquacius
Oct 21, 2008

Materant posted:

Rum Power is the best, just get shitfaced for every battle.

Still has to make its way past NoA, unfortunately, and Soda Power doesn't have the same sort of zing to it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PoptartsNinja
May 9, 2008

He is still almost definitely not a spy

Soiled Meat
I feel like Ronch has seen some things and like, he's fine now, he just has some trouble getting out of bed some mornings.

theGrooseofLegend
Dec 29, 2013
Speaking of Pokemon stories, what's everyone's opinion on the Pokemon special manga? When I read it, I really liked how each protag had distinct personalities (my favorite is Diamond. He's a chill dude who wants to make kids laugh) but in hindsight it had some edgy things that the guys who made Uranium would eat up (evil gym leaders and elite 4, death, etc)

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I feel like people say "this time you're the rival" every new pokemon game these days.

This was about a page back, but I think it's more "this time you're getting in the way of other characters' goals". When it was Gen 1 and everyone had the personality of wet cardboard, Gary was a roadblock because that was his characterization. He was your biggest obstacle to "beating the game", which at the time was the big goal since Pokemon was new and unexplored. This culminated in him being the champion for five minutes before you stomp him into the dirt.

As the series goes on, and as players start wanting to do things other than "battle gyms, defeat champion, watch credits", there's also a simultaneous fleshing out of characters that aren't the protagonist, giving them motives and (admittedly flimsy) characterization. Suddenly they want to do things and you have to beat them up because there is no option in pokemon that is not monster-induced ultraviolence.

It's most blatant in X/Y where honestly most players I've talked with don't even care about the whole megastone plot and would be happy to let Calem/Serena just take the drat bracelet so they could go on with the game. But nope, Victory Is The Only Option.

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Speaking of Pokemon stories, what's everyone's opinion on the Pokemon special manga? When I read it, I really liked how each protag had distinct personalities (my favorite is Diamond. He's a chill dude who wants to make kids laugh) but in hindsight it had some edgy things that the guys who made Uranium would eat up (evil gym leaders and elite 4, death, etc)

Pokemon Special/Pokemon Adventures is incredibly tryhard and it's magical for that. Everything about that manga is just so over the top that I can't not chin-hands at it. :allears:

That said, you better believe 9 out of 10 edgelords would openly bring up the Red/Green plot at the beginning of the series as "evidence" that Pokemon should be edgy and grimdark because hey they just cut an Arbok in half and there's a creepypasta :psyduck: skeleton and half the gym leaders (and all of the Elite Four) are secretly in cahoots with Team Rocket and and and

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

KataraniSword posted:

Pokemon Special is incredibly tryhard and it's magical for that. Everything about that manga is just so over the top that I can't not chin-hands at it. :allears:

It calms down a bit after that first two arcs when they start doing things in line with the games.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe

theGrooseofLegend posted:

Pokemon Special gave us Mewtwo fighting with a giant spoon, and is worth it for that reason alone.

Alacron fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Mar 29, 2017

KataraniSword
Apr 22, 2008

but at least I don't have
a MLP or MSPA avatar.
I am my own man.

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

It calms down a bit after that first two arcs when they start doing things in line with the games.

Even then you get things like Ruby/Brendan's dad (Norman) being openly abusive and the entire clusterfuck that was the FR/LG/Emerald arcs.

Basically, any time they deviate from the games at all, it takes a sharp left into :magical:, for better or worse.

LAY-ZX
Nov 10, 2009

Pokemon Special is super magical and perfect because it has things like this

and this

Waaaay back when I first read it I couldn't find the R/S arc so I stopped after Crystal, I should go see if I can pick it back up.

e: I guess I was beaten on the Mewtwo spoon while I was trying to find the picture of the Mewtwo spoon. Oops.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!

KataraniSword posted:

Even then you get things like Ruby/Brendan's dad (Norman) being openly abusive and the entire clusterfuck that was the FR/LG/Emerald arcs.

If your kid is giving you sass, you're perfectly within your rights to have your Slaking throw a staircase at them. :colbert:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

KataraniSword posted:

Basically, any time they deviate from the games at all, it takes a sharp left into :magical:, for better or worse.

It's ok. Ruby had a Celebi the whole time! (And every other arc has bullshit ways to bring characters back to life.)

Fun fact, because of Hunter J, the anime has a higher permanent kill count that Pokemon Special, even not counting the movies.

Bogart
Apr 12, 2010

by VideoGames
I remember liking the Diamond/Pearl dynamic because they were just two comedian fuckups, Male Protag and Barry, who were trying to make it big but Platinum, Lady Protag, thought they were her bodyguards and they were just like okay :downs:

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

hopeandjoy posted:

It's ok. Ruby had a Celebi the whole time! (And every other arc has bullshit ways to bring characters back to life.)

Fun fact, because of Hunter J, the anime has a higher permanent kill count that Pokemon Special, even not counting the movies.

what about Black's poor old male protag?

rannum
Nov 3, 2012

Bogart posted:

I remember liking the Diamond/Pearl dynamic because they were just two comedian fuckups, Male Protag and Barry, who were trying to make it big but Platinum, Lady Protag, thought they were her bodyguards and they were just like okay :downs:

It also had probably the least deviation from the plot of any of the series before or after. Just a nice focus on the group and villains, more or less.

Special is so bizarre because it both wants to follow the games to the absolute letter but then also do its own way that doesnt really work

the HGSS arc is probably the most extreme in how over the course of like 40 chapters it includes most everything HGSS included but does so in a way that felt like it read likea check list of items. The e4 & leaders show up as basically cameos. The pokeathalon is there but doesn't really matter. The villain has a 2 page spread of them just listing off and showing all of arceus' forms. All the pokemon who can evolve now do so almost instantly. It's stuff included because its there in the game and we can't NOT show it in as 1:1 with the game as possible.

And then Celebi brings forth Pryce from his time dimension prison to fight Dialga because he was immune to time distortion,.

It never feels natural and just makes the weirdness of the original stuff stand out more. All the series do this to varying degrees.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Bogart posted:

It's the best arc.

EclecticTastes
Sep 17, 2012

"Most plans are critically flawed by their own logic. A failure at any step will ruin everything after it. That's just basic cause and effect. It's easy for a good plan to fall apart. Therefore, a plan that has no attachment to logic cannot be stopped."

loquacius posted:

Still has to make its way past NoA, unfortunately, and Soda Power doesn't have the same sort of zing to it

Somebody hasn't been watching One Piece.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender

rannum posted:

Special is so bizarre because it both wants to follow the games to the absolute letter but then also do its own way that doesnt really work
ORAS was the most :allears: on that front, since it had to accomidate the in-game Archie & Maxie having opposite personalities from what the manga had already had.

End result: They were floating around the Distortion World for a while, then their spirits merged and unmerged and they got spat back out into the real world with their game personalities.

Haifisch fucked around with this message at 00:02 on Mar 30, 2017

Ace of Aces
Feb 25, 2017

ZENRYOKU ZENKAI
Don't forget Blaine's magical legendary power armor. Uranium has just enough self-restraint to be terrible, but Special doesn't have any at all and it's just loving magical.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I have a lot of trouble following the discussion here. Are these pokemon better or worse than Uranium's?

e: actually might be real pokemon far as I can tell, idk

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

I'm not sure what the best part of this is, Stropter or Ronch :allears:

hopeandjoy
Nov 28, 2014

I'd say better than Uranium.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i think gamefreak should consider 'agumon with a gun' for their next set of pokemon games

Kheldarn
Feb 17, 2011

:perfect:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

Johnny Joestar posted:

i think gamefreak should consider 'agumon with a gun' for their next set of pokemon games

Ronch should be included

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Jack-Off Lantern posted:

Ronch should be included

It's the next buddy-cop movie. Mawuh and Ronch!

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Congratulations, you somehow surpassed "car that reads out the hexadecimal code of any image you get texted while it's paired with your phone and won't stop until it finishes the image or you fully turn the car off" as the funniest thing I saw today :allears:

Jack-Off Lantern
Mar 2, 2012

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

It's the next buddy-cop movie. Mawuh and Ronch!

Ronch is too old for this poo poo and Mawuh is a loose canon.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

goddamn I lost my poo poo at Mawuh

ShootaBoy
Jan 6, 2010

Anime is Bad.
Except for Pokemon, Valkyria Chronicles and 100% OJ.

I would legit use a Minma in a game. That ant-thing looks rad as gently caress.

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

ronch has no abilities but their secret is that maxed out special attack stat that catches you by surprise

Ariong
Jun 25, 2012

RONCH: Now with Vitamin R

TravelLog
Jul 22, 2013

He's a mean one, Mr. Roy.

It's gold, Jerry! Gold!

I also can't tell if the fish thing is kissing a haunted carrot or playing an orange ocarina. It's magical.

the holy poopacy
May 16, 2009

hey! check this out
Fun Shoe
Ronch settles it: object pokemon are Good

Gologle
Apr 15, 2013

The Gologle Posting Experience.

<3

I laughed my guts out, thanks. I had to choose between Ronch or Mawuh, but finally, as I'm a Digimon fan, I can't beat "Agumon, but with a gun."

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Gologle posted:

I laughed my guts out, thanks. I had to choose between Ronch or Mawuh, but finally, as I'm a Digimon fan, I can't beat "Agumon, but with a gun."

Considering his ability is "Rum power", I'm forced to assume that's "Drunk Agumon, but with a gun."

The one thing that can beat "Agumon, but with a gun."

Space Kablooey
May 6, 2009

Lost it at Ronch.

CoffeeAvenger
Nov 3, 2016
Oh sure, it may LOOK like a harmless delicious bottle of dressing, but the screaming and crossbones on the label are trying to warn you away! Inside is a hell blacker than the deepest abyss.

Hence why they hired Agumon to put it out of its misery.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
This is The Best Thing.

GeneralYeti
Jul 22, 2012

Look at this smug broken asshole.
I lost it at Ronch and then again at Mawuh, holy poo poo

Nebrilos
Oct 9, 2012

Shugojin posted:

Congratulations, you somehow surpassed "car that reads out the hexadecimal code of any image you get texted while it's paired with your phone and won't stop until it finishes the image or you fully turn the car off" as the funniest thing I saw today :allears:

More information, please.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

senrath
Nov 4, 2009

Look Professor, a destruct switch!

Nebrilos posted:

More information, please.

It's from the "RE: A ticket came in..." thread in SH/SC:

Malek posted:

I had a coworker that had this for text messages for his phone. Sent him a 5 page text message but it didn't arrive while I was there.
Checked with him after work...
Coworker: "I hate you. My car would not stop saying the word 'Penis' for 5 blocks."

pixaal posted:

My brother's car does the text read thing. It's hilarious because it's really poor quality and clearly wasn't tested that well. If someone sends him a picture it starts to read the Hex. E3F2A921D... and it will not shut up until you take the key out of the car, and since it's a fob this means parking the car on the side of the road and walking away. This also turns off the built in GPS navigation voice making is extra funny.

• Locked thread