Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
So apparently the Terok Nor DS9 was destroyed in the novels? And there's a new Federation-built station in its place. drat, it's hideous.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

8one6
May 20, 2012

When in doubt, err on the side of Awesome!

ElBrak posted:

Bet they had the name kicking around unused cause the old Deep Space 9 is now in Federation space after some race joined up.

That's what I always assumed. Once the station was within the border it gets renamed and "Deep Space (whatever)" goes back on the list of potential names.
I'm sure if Bajor had joined the Federation DS9 would have been renamed Opaka Station or something.

The_Doctor posted:

So apparently the Terok Nor DS9 was destroyed in the novels? And there's a new Federation-built station in its place. drat, it's hideous.

Yeah, that's ugly as poo poo.

Railing Kill
Nov 14, 2008

You are the first crack in the sheer face of god. From you it will spread.

8one6 posted:

That's what I always assumed. Once the station was within the border it gets renamed and "Deep Space (whatever)" goes back on the list of potential names.
I'm sure if Bajor had joined the Federation DS9 would have been renamed Opaka Station or something.

Kai Winn Memorial Station

Stationy McStationface

Morn McMorn's Memorial Station and Snack Bar (a Dave and Buster's Franchise)

Quark's

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Railing Kill posted:

Kai Winn Memorial Station

Stationy McStationface

Morn McMorn's Memorial Station and Snack Bar (a Dave and Buster's Franchise)

Quark's

Susan

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

Now, you're just doing it on purpose.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to
Rikers not allowed on Deep Space 69.

Voyager arrives at a planet that is known for it's beautiful scenery, leisure centric culture, beautiful and uninhibited population. Janeway orders her senior staff to have first go at this, while Tom and Harry are down there before she finishes speaking, Tuvok and Torres resist, but eventually are forced down. The two encounter a group of Natives that wish to end the planets hedonistic culture. The two officers join with the Natives and sabotage the planets weather control system to teach the others a lesson. Tuvok and Torres realized that the Native's plans would actually lead to the planets destruction, and repairs the weather control. Tom gets laid too much, Harry cannot get laid at all.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

The_Doctor posted:

This is the worst loving thing. It's a federation station trying to sort of ape the previous cardassian designed station resulting in something awful. It's like when a local heritage board gets involved with the design of a new modern building and demands certain random architectural elements to "respect the nearby heritage buildings" and it ends up looks like a cruel mockery.

WeAreTheRomans
Feb 23, 2010

by R. Guyovich

Baronjutter posted:

This is the worst loving thing. It's a federation station trying to sort of ape the previous cardassian designed station resulting in something awful. It's like when a local heritage board gets involved with the design of a new modern building and demands certain random architectural elements to "respect the nearby heritage buildings" and it ends up looks like a cruel mockery.

From that perspective it's kinda genius, because that is exactly how those UFP dweebs would do it

Big Mean Jerk
Jan 27, 2009

Well, of course I know him.
He's me.

The_Doctor posted:

It's like an ultra-lovely version of Benny's DS9.

vermin
Feb 28, 2017

Help, I've turned into a manifestation of mental disorders as viewed through an early 20th century lens sparked by the disparity between man and modern society and I can't get up
Why did you make the Summer Fun Bajor Culture Retreat look like the old Cardassian Occupation Labor Camps?

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

vermin posted:

Why did you make the Summer Fun Bajor Culture Retreat look like the old Cardassian Occupation Labor Camps?

NEVER FORGET

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Big Mean Jerk posted:

It's like an ultra-lovely version of Benny's DS9.

Huh, I never noticed that his DS9 is an Air Force station.

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

Lord Hydronium posted:

Huh, I never noticed that his DS9 is an Air Force station.

Makes sense given the era.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I know it's based a little on some of the original DS9 concept art when they were thinking about more rings.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

The_Doctor posted:

I know it's based a little on some of the original DS9 concept art when they were thinking about more rings.

Not horrible except that the station looks like a pirate ship steering wheel.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Q_res posted:

It's worth remembering that CBS/Paramount left an out, where you can bypass the restrictions if you get direct approval. How hard that is, who knows, but it's at least theoretically an option. I'm assuming they left it in so they could not be dicks to the groups who had been playing nice before the crack down.

Right, the exact wording is that they "reserve the right to selective enforcement," meaning "don't be a dick like the Axafucks and we'll probably look the other way."

And then Peters had the balls to actually call out other fanfilm producers, saying that if the community hadn't turned against each other, then the guidelines might have been better. Uh, Alec, you're the one who tried to get other productions shut down.

Baronjutter
Dec 31, 2007

"Tiny Trains"

Seeing ring designs like that in scify always bugs me. Big ring stations are to generate gravity through spin, that's where the design got into popular culture from old ideas for making actual wheel shaped space stations. Turning it on its side and making it just another "building in space" with artificial gravity doesn't make sense.

I like those concept designs because all the ships seem parked inside the rings, almost like it creates a shield bubble or something and the ring shapes are there to support the creation of the shield.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

If the Federales wanted to be historically scenic they would've just built a Starbase but reproduced the promenade, maybe. It had a Bajoran temple in it so it wouldn't be completely "ha ha, enjoy your fascism memories." It'd be "Enjoy your fascism memories of your religious faith under occupation... and Quark's!"

McNally
Sep 13, 2007

Ask me about Proposition 305

Do you like muskets?

twistedmentat posted:

Rikers not allowed on Deep Space 69.

Deep Space 69 is the #2 most requested posting by graduating academy cadets (#1 being the Enterprise). It's also the #1 most requested "please transfer me somewhere else" posting.

Deep Space 69 is where the Federation tests the rate of evaporation and overall separation of carrier solvents from their pigment formulas. They also examine the growth rates of monocotyledonous flowering plants used for both erosion control and ornamental turf.

PassTheRemote
Mar 15, 2007

Number 6 holds The Village record in Duck Hunt.

The first one to kill :laugh: wins.

Baronjutter posted:

It's a hipster version of DS9. Part of why I love that series is the unique non Federation look of the station.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

The_Doctor posted:

Space stations of the Old West.

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

Mister Kingdom posted:

Space stations of the Old West.

Real frontier medicine.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Baronjutter posted:

Seeing ring designs like that in scify always bugs me. Big ring stations are to generate gravity through spin,

With our technology yes.

But a radial arrangement of docked ships on a central hub is pretty efficient. You can move cargo from ship to ship easily (don't say transporters. Those ore tubes that Jake was crawling in and all the guys with space pallet jacks said different) and you have a central location for storage.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

"Don't say transporters" is like the first thing you need to do when talking about any kind of Star Trek technology.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Sash! posted:

With our technology yes.

But a radial arrangement of docked ships on a central hub is pretty efficient. You can move cargo from ship to ship easily (don't say transporters. Those ore tubes that Jake was crawling in and all the guys with space pallet jacks said different) and you have a central location for storage.

The docking pylons, on the other hand...

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
Saw this today while parked at a red light.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kibayasu posted:

"Don't say transporters" is like the first thing you need to do when talking about any kind of Star Trek technology.

Quadralithium ore and biomemetic gel can't be transported, sooo...

Come to think of it, can latinum be transported? You'd think not, but then of course Voyager transported omega particles ugh

Orv
May 4, 2011

The Bloop posted:

Come to think of it, can latinum be transported? You'd think not, but then of course Voyager transported omega particles ugh

I assume it has some kind of quantrametric zooblebobble signature that says Legit/Quit when you scan it.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

The Bloop posted:

I think that was things that can't be replicated, though I guess it is kind of a form of transportation. Replication is the second thing you don't talk about when talking about Star Trek tech though.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Gonz posted:

Saw this today while parked at a red light.

There's someone out here (MD) with the same plate. I think I had a picture on my old phone, not sure if I ever dumped it to PC. If I can find it, I'll share.

Spoeank
Jul 16, 2003

That's a nice set of 11 dynasty points there, it would be a shame if 3 rings were to happen with it
I can't find the picture but I was once behind a guy in CA whose plate was NCC1017 (The USS Constellation... for some reason)

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The Bloop posted:

DS9 once beamed a small universe, which I think wins.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Spoeank posted:

I can't find the picture but I was once behind a guy in CA whose plate was NCC1017 (The USS Constellation... for some reason)

It better have a crunched fender, at least. And I hope he rigged up a bunch of red and yellow lights inside his garage and says things like "Gentlemen, I suggest you beam me aboard" every time he pulls in the driveway.

Duckbox
Sep 7, 2007

8one6 posted:

This would be a ridiculous and stupid approach because the old station name would still exist on lots of records and documents and be used in common speech and would cause lots of pointless confusion. Which... sounds like what the navy would do to me.

Spoeank posted:

Maybe he made a typo.

Pacra
Aug 5, 2004

I've been on a business trip without access to the TOS DC comic books but when I get back this weekend, I'll post some choice comic panels for your viewing pleasure.

Kibayasu
Mar 28, 2010

Duckbag posted:

This would be a ridiculous and stupid approach because the old station name would still exist on lots of records and documents and be used in common speech and would cause lots of pointless confusion. Which... sounds like what the navy would do to me.

Maybe he made a typo.

1701 was probably taken aaaaages ago.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

The_Doctor posted:

This ended up being the perfect example of why you need producers, directors, etc. to reign in the creatives. That this was designed by Doug Drexler and Andrew Probert, who together are responsible for tons of the most iconic Trek designs. Granted they were kind of boxed-in by the descriptions of the new station from the novel it premeired in, but still that design needed some people sending them back to tweaking. Obviously none of the novel people are going to tell Drexler or Probert to try again, given their pedigree.

I think it would look a lot better without the useless vertical rings, with just that horizontal ring it would look more like an evolution of the mushroom-type starbase. Still not great, but better.

Orv
May 4, 2011
You know, has decoupling the dilithium matrix ever worked? Or done, anything at all? I feel like that's required technobabble for a warp core malfunction but it's never actually meaningful.

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

The_Doctor posted:

What gets me about the vertical rings is that they are obviously there for visual continuity with Terok Nor, but they're not docking pylons. They have no obvious purpose. Why are they there?

Knormal posted:

I think it would look a lot better without the useless vertical rings, with just that horizontal ring it would look more like an evolution of the mushroom-type starbase. Still not great, but better.

Totally agree. That would be a good start.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Knormal posted:

This ended up being the perfect example of why you need producers, directors, etc. to reign in the creatives. That this was designed by Doug Drexler and Andrew Probert, who together are responsible for tons of the most iconic Trek designs. Granted they were kind of boxed-in by the descriptions of the new station from the novel it premeired in, but still that design needed some people sending them back to tweaking. Obviously none of the novel people are going to tell Drexler or Probert to try again, given their pedigree.

I suspect the description was what hosed them, though. Even if those broad features were laid out it'd be pretty restrictive.