Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BULBASAUR
Apr 6, 2009

Soiled Meat
i'm gmo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Hi GMO, I'm Kaiju Cage Match!

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer
M'i omg

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Bad Moon posted:

All Broccoli is a genetically modified as it does not occur in nature in its current form.

this but unironically. Carrots aren't orange and bananas are an ecologically vulnerable monoculture. Many commercial varieties of corn are infertile. Sheep need shearing because we bred them to make so much wool they'll overheat if we don't. We've messed with nature for millenia and it's only bothering people now because of some luddite yuck-factor response when it should be bugging people because you shouldn't be able to patent genetic sequences and definitely shouldn't be able to claim wild plants as your own if insects cross-fertilised with something in a forest somewhere nearby.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH
I was being serious :(

Just cause the mods occurred over centuries and not by some nerd in a lab doesn't make it not genetically modified and any such blanket dislike is dumb and misinformed

There are plenty of reservation you can have about the surrounding issues but eating a tomato because somebody slapped a different label on it is like come on man

Its Rinaldo fucked around with this message at 22:05 on Mar 30, 2017

Pierzak
Oct 30, 2010

nopantsjack posted:

garlic and blue cheese mayo
Sounds gross.
...can I have a recipe?

spectralent posted:

My condiments for the pun but I feel like I've still got a lot to ketchup on to compete with this thread.
You'll need all the strength you can mustard, there's a lot of salty posters here.

Also, I realize we're past the Infinity cheesecake posting, but I can't believe nobody posted the rear end collage. Amateurs.

Behold, the reason to play Infinity:

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006
This thread is worse than games workshop, we did it everyone

1000 Brown M and Ms
Oct 22, 2008

F:\DL>quickfli 4-clowns.fli

Bad Moon posted:

I was being serious :(

Just cause the mods occurred over centuries and not by some nerd in a lab doesn't make it not genetically modified and any such blanket dislike is dumb and misinformed

There are plenty of reservation you can have about the surrounding issues but eating a tomato because somebody slapped a different label on it is like come on man

IMO organic food is a crock of poo poo too. The health benefits are dubious at best and it's much more difficult to grow. Not to mention that there's no universal standard for what 'organic' even means in this context, outside of not using pesticides.

Sometimes organic food can make you very sick. There have been many reported cases where a crop of organic food has had to fight off insects or whatever and to do that it's had to create it's own pesticide because you can't spray it with anything, and the crop's own pesticide has turned out to be a lot more dangerous to humans than any commercial pesticide.

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
faaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaart

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Its Rinaldo
Aug 13, 2010

CODS BINCH

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

Where do new space marines come from? If a chapter is 1000 marines, and they keep dying in all their missions like that guy in the DoW III trailer, where do the new ones come from? Of the 1000 is there a support crew of regular human folks who do all the logistics?

Why hasn't the imperium been able to reverse engineer any tanks and ships and stuff? If they can figure out how to use and repair them surely someone knows how to use a welder. A hive planet could probably figure it out in a few years.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

ilmucche posted:

Why hasn't the imperium been able to reverse engineer any tanks and ships and stuff? If they can figure out how to use and repair them surely someone knows how to use a welder. A hive planet could probably figure it out in a few years.

As I recall, they have reverse engineered stuff but they also have to pay lip service to the whole "ancient technology" thing so that they don't get executed.

Captain Rufus
Sep 16, 2005

CAPTAIN WORD SALAD

OFF MY MEDS AGAIN PLEASE DON'T USE BIG WORDS

UNNECESSARY LINE BREAK
I'm still reading this most dumb of threads as both pro and anti GW people continue to be partisan dickwads with a side order of copy pasting care posts from what seems to be the most dorky of Retard Van forums or Facebook groups.

And we all know the best minis are from Hell Dorado. But it's not GW so nobody gives a gently caress.

However I have an entire proxy IG force that nobody I played with cared and in fact were wanting me to counts as HARDER than I did. And they were mostly douchebags. That's how little people care if you proxy RIGHT. http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-red-blok-guard-army-or-descent-into.html

As to cheesecake I bought one of those 4 dollar preprimed RPG minis packs Wizkids and Paizo are doing. Because they had a shirtless Monk dude in a pack. I just need to learn to make greenstuff hair so I can have Joe Higashi from Fatal Fury. Except with full pants. Because ordering a single metal Kickboxer mini online for RPGs I won't ever play or run is kind of stupid.

What isn't stupid is GW at least TRYING to improve. It's GW so the odds of them improving in a good or lasting way is low but I am happy they are at least trying. I'm only playing Kill Team right now though and Eldar are pretty rad to the point I won't use my Fire Dragons squad because it ain't even fair against MEQ type forces. My next build is jetbikes and Dire Avengers.

Also I nearly bought Death Masque today but decided even at 10% off I don't really need Harlequins even if I would love em for 2nd ed and the idea of Juggalo Eldar on Murderbikes amuses me. Even with potential buyers for the Deathwatch I have most of the HQs and characters from the box dating to 2nd ed.

Please stop all being knobheads in this thread and have fun pro or con GW.

Also only Leperflesh is allowed to Spergpost because his stuff is enlightening and educational. Or Broken Loose because his nerd rage is both funny to laugh at and kinda true at the same time.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Captain Rufus posted:

Please stop all being knobheads in this thread and have fun pro or con GW.

:cool:

Hustlin Floh
Jul 20, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
GW's the biggest con of all I tells ya!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

spectralent posted:

Maybe this was meant to be sarcastic, but, sure, if you're going to go "All the red caps are pawns and all the green ones are bishops", or something. Or just scratch a big white "P" into your pawn-caps.

I guess this is just straight agree-to-disagree territory because I generally love good conversions and I've never usually found it hard to see substitutes.

It seems a lot like a load of people are looking at this as a "someone's got an army of identical things and is deliberately trying to create confusion for what they are so they can claim their meltas are actually flamers" but that's just straight-up cheating and you shouldn't play with cheats.

Basically this. No one advocated intentional confusion or substitutes that were unreasonable. If a model is in space man armor and has a space man flamer, I don't see the issue with saying, "I'm using this as a space marine with a flamer." I also mentioned the other situation where you wanted to use a different special weapon than the one modeled, say pointing to a flamer at the start of the match and saying, "I'm using this as a plasma gun today," and I also don't have an issue with that. If there are a bunch of identical units with flamers that are not plasma guns, then put a token next to the unit so I can quickly remember or use a distinct banner or squad marking. But as long it was clear from the get go I can't imagine being upset by it.

No, I wouldn't want to play against a whole army where every gun was different than what it was supposed to be, but that's not what I was saying.

The most legitimate argument against proxies is True Line of Sight. But True Line of Sight is a garbage mechanic and I probably wouldn't want to play that game in the first place. Even in Deadzone it's annoying and I wish they would abstract it because the super competitive guys at my FLGS now measure every shot with multiple types of laser pointers and it slows things to a crawl.

TheChirurgeon posted:

Even then, I'd probably draw the line at poo poo like using coffee mugs as drop pods. Hell, I'd rather you use a paper template of a drop pod than a coffee mug. But part of that is because I put a lot of work into making terrain and a table that looks good to play on and it annoys me when poo poo that is just straight up a coffee mug gets dropped on there.

Now if we're playing on someone's floor or a pool table or something then I care a whole lot less

Yeah we're still not disagreeing. I never suggested you should use non-miniatures for a miniature game, for the models or the terrain. I get why kids on their basement floor would do it and that's fine too, but if you're playing in a store on a nice table then at least go to the effort to make sure whatever your stand-in is is presentable and clear. I'm not sure what a reasonable proxy for a drop pod would be, but I'm sure it could be done. Of course, if you are just doing it as a one time thing to decide if you want to buy one, then whatever, so long as your intention and motivation are clear.

Captain Rufus posted:

However I have an entire proxy IG force that nobody I played with cared and in fact were wanting me to counts as HARDER than I did. And they were mostly douchebags. That's how little people care if you proxy RIGHT. http://wargamedork.blogspot.com/2009/05/my-red-blok-guard-army-or-descent-into.html

This is basically what I've been saying. It's not like I'm trying to put down an army of Mantic Abyssals and claiming them to be Sisters of Battle. This guy with a missile launcher has a missile launcher. This guy with a flamer has a flamer. This dude with a big gently caress off laser cannon has a lascannon. It's not rocket science.

quote:

What isn't stupid is GW at least TRYING to improve. It's GW so the odds of them improving in a good or lasting way is low but I am happy they are at least trying. I'm only playing Kill Team right now though and Eldar are pretty rad to the point I won't use my Fire Dragons squad because it ain't even fair against MEQ type forces. My next build is jetbikes and Dire Avengers.

I think GW is improving. I like the idea that they're actually putting out games even if I'm unlikely to play them. To me that says they've got guys in the studio sitting down and thinking about game mechanics and that will hopefully affect the rules writing in their core games. But GW is still going to GW. Just look at the Blood Bowl rerelease. They could have gone with a living rulebook like the previous edition, but instead they split the book and charged you for both halves when in the past it was either a single book or both books came in the same box. At launch they had three teams and you could only buy one of them on their own. It made actually trying to get into the game frustrating. Compare that to Mantic who have a starter box but also sell every component from that box plus additional teams individually.

I still don't like their aesthetic or the cost of their models. It's not what someone else said that I can't afford them, I just don't like spending more than I have to on something I think is ugly. If a competitor makes something for a better price, I'll buy that one. It's just economics.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

Captain Rufus posted:

Also only Leperflesh is allowed to Spergpost because his stuff is enlightening and educational.

:ironicat:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I fell behind and just caught up all at once. Way too many things I wanted to reply to in great detail and at this point attempting to do so would not work out well so I'll just post some random stream-of-thought responses based on my undoubtedly poor and rapidly fading recollection of all the garbage I just kind of halfassedly read and mostly skimmed through.

all hobbies are luxuries
gw has made some good decisions lately but their legacy of bad decisions has built up such an enormous backlog of poo poo that it's going to take a lot more than one year of a minor improvement in the ratio of good to bad decisions to shovel through it all
age of sigmor is a bad game that has made gw lots of money. making more money doesn't make it good. good for stockholders maybe but nobody should buy gw stock.
gw's miniatures are made with a very high production standard. that is one measure of quality.
gw's miniatures in the last few years seem to mostly be sculpted by committee, using a lot of digital tools and not much artistic merit. depending on what you want out of them, that might matter a lot to you, or not at all.
everyone who uses the phrase "the hobby" to refer to anything specific to GW is probably too far gone to help
if you regurgitate the arguments of idiots you're not trolling, you're just supporting idiots. if you want to trick someone by saying something that nobody should believe could come out of your mouth, you'll need to better establish your reputation as not an idiot first
the artistic merit of a miniature is important if you're evaluating it as a work of art.
the functional purpose of a game piece is to work as a game piece, and that's the way it should be evaluated
when you're using nominal works of art as game pieces, you have competing priorities that may not be well aligned
gws miniatures are a problem in part because they often put artistic merit above game function, but then still fail as works of art.
if you just want to play a game, proxying anything that works as the game piece should be completely fine with everyone. If you want to build a vignette that tells a story by assembling works of art, then thematic and artistic consistency with the works of art may be important to you.
if your goal is just to test the purity of your fellow players' devotion to your tribe, insisting on brand loyalty is a convenient filtering mechanism

infinity minis are well sculpted but the company has a serious mysogyny problem
amusingly though, they're getting better about it recently, which is exactly the argument gw defenders in this thread are pushing to justify continuing to support gw
but infiniti is bad because it's too anime, and I think you will find that anime is bad

malifaux is too goth

warmahordes is too steep of a learning curve to learn all the intricate nonintuitive tricks, you can't play by just attacking with your dudes or whatever

they're all three just ridiculously better games than warhammer though, like it's not even close

gw is still a bad company, let me count a few of the ways
they have a useless chain of stores that cost them too much money to run, and pass those costs on to the consumers through higher product markups
like seriously you still can't count on a one-man gw store to be open during reasonable hours, have room to play games in, have products you want in stock, or have a sales person available to help you if a single (1) other customer got there a little before you did
they are still routinely increasing prices on ancient kits instead of what literally every other company on earth does, which is discount old product
they still abuse independent stockists
they renamed a ton of their stuff to really stupid names in a completely misguided attempt to protect IP. this does not actually protect their IP in any way more than it was before, and no, they're not even using them to register as trademarks (of course they aren't, that would be ridiculously expensive)
the former horrible ceo is still clinging to the company's executive board, and being paid for it, like a bloated leech, and it shows
the company's website is a laughingstock. it functions only as a web store, and fails in many amusing ways at even doing that. it does little or nothing to introduce the company's products in a coherent or accessible way, goes out of its way to present products based not on suitability but price, is not the location of what minimal social engagement the company deigns to do, and constantly decides you're not in the country you are in.
the company's policy of never having sales runs contrary to a century of business evolution
the company still seems to evaluate its products solely based on sales figures, while ignoring critical factors that affect those sales like: recency of the item's release, utility of the item in their own games, price vs utility, the degree to which customers feel embarassed even picking up the item in a store because of its name, and more
the company still has no debt, which sounds fine until you consider the annual impact of missed opportunities to invest up front in something that would pay off long term. there is a reason virtually all public and most private companies borrow, it's literally why corporations exist in the first place (to raise investments while shielding the company owners from the financial risk of being ruined if the company's risks don't pan out).
gw is still not taking advantage of the enormous success of the total war: warhammer game to sell physical games and miniatures products to a large set of potential new customers, even though the game came out like a year ago now or something
gw's annual conventions are still just massive sales events where nothing is actually on discount and you pay to get in
the magazines still suck and are again just ads you pay for that give you nothing you couldn't have gotten in a blog post or by browsing their web store (ok I guess at least the magazine remembers your country preference from one visit to the next, lol)
gw as far as I know still has pretty terrible/abusive policies towards its employees. you still have to basically act like you're joining a cult to get hired, you will be paid terribly, and you will either burn out quickly or be fired due to failing to meet wildly unrealistic sales quotas
gw is still charging more for its products in australia and new zealand than it costs to buy them in the UK and ship them to australia and new zealand, even after currency conversion inefficiencies, for absolutely no fathomable reason. it clearly doesn't even help them make more money in those countries. And they still go out of their way to prevent anyone from engaging in the obviously huge arbitrage opportunity this presents, by going after any online retailer sending products internationally to those countries
oh yeah you can't advertise a discount on gw's products online, becuase that would compete with their always-full-price webstore. For some reason this approach basically works, because people buy a lot of gw products at full price direct from their webstore even though you can always get them at a discount from an online retailer if you're willing to jump through the hoops necessary to place an order with them
gw still doesn't test and revise its games rules with actual players, just in house, and the results are obvious
gw's facebook page is a joke
gw's got no forums
gw's free easy rules aren't free or easy or sometimes even rules
gw's rules writers still haven't learned how to write unambiguous rules
gw's approach to attracting girls and women to play their games is still hilariously nonexistent, because their sales figures say only boys and men buy their stuff, so obviously that's just how things are
gw is lazily cashing in on some of its ancient games' lingering popularity by republishing them without even the most desultory attempt to make them be good games in the modern era, and for some reason it works because of I don't know, either nostalgia, or people just want the models and it's the only option for getting them at less than full gw packaged retail?
gw's settings no longer work as satire directed at the thatcher administration or the horrors of the cold war but the company cannot seem to find the ability or will or maybe just desire to make its fiction relevant to modern concerns like maybe terrorism or populism or global warming or something

I could keep going but who cares. I'm sure someone will disagree with all of these points and feel free to type three thousand words refuting them but I don't care. Today the really sweet outdoor semiferal cat we occasionally see and feed when we see him limped up to my patio bloody and with a broken jaw and weighing like four pounds, matted in his own piss, and between the $250 the cat rescue people threw in and the $350 I put in, we have enough money just to find out if his jaw can be wired (he'll have a shot at making it with a month or three of intensive care in my bathroom) or not (we can't pony up for reconstructive surgery with a metal plate, that's thousands of dollars, so he's done).

In one day we've spent more on a cat someone abandoned than I've spent in the last 20 years on GW products. If he dies tonight it will have been money better spent because at least he's getting painkillers and sedation instead of slowly starving to death under a bush somewhere.

If you are thinking of spending a pile of money on the latest horseshit from GW, that is your choice of course, but perhaps I can encourage you to give some money to your local animal rescue and just play with the toys you already have for a while.

AnEdgelord
Dec 12, 2016
I can't tell whether the bad taste in this thread is ironic or in earnest. Either GW really cornered that brokebrain Stockholm Syndrome section of the market or there is a lot of 'ironic' shitposting going on in this thread.

Edit:

Leperflesh posted:

malifaux is too goth

Fite Me

The rest of your post is cool and good tho

AnEdgelord fucked around with this message at 02:55 on Mar 31, 2017

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

I made some posts about gw's financials a long time ago like three threads back that I think were decent. But I'm not some kind of amazing poster and my willingness to put effort into a post is highly variable. Also lately I've been getting burnt out by the futility.

so now you get lovely posts with no initial caps that I didn't go back and edit for clarity or even to fix typos, because this thread, and gw, aren't worth it

e. just to immediately contradict that statement: in the previous post, when I say literally, I mean it in the colloquial sense - that is, figuratively, intended to convey an emphasis. I only point that out because normally when I say literally I mean it literally

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 02:51 on Mar 31, 2017

Guy Goodbody
Aug 31, 2016

by Nyc_Tattoo

Xir posted:

Every male in that picture is in a semi aggressive stance. The women? Catwalk poses.

Yeah, the male models aren't great

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Leperflesh posted:

In one day we've spent more on a cat someone abandoned than I've spent in the last 20 years on GW products. If he dies tonight it will have been money better spent because at least he's getting painkillers and sedation instead of slowly starving to death under a bush somewhere.

If you are thinking of spending a pile of money on the latest horseshit from GW, that is your choice of course, but perhaps I can encourage you to give some money to your local animal rescue and just play with the toys you already have for a while.

I'm real sorry to hear about this :(

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Leperflesh posted:

I fell behind and just caught up all at once. Way too many things I wanted to reply to in great detail and at this point attempting to do so would not work out well so I'll just post some random stream-of-thought responses based on my undoubtedly poor and rapidly fading recollection of all the garbage I just kind of halfassedly read and mostly skimmed through.

all hobbies are luxuries
gw has made some good decisions lately but their legacy of bad decisions has built up such an enormous backlog of poo poo that it's going to take a lot more than one year of a minor improvement in the ratio of good to bad decisions to shovel through it all
age of sigmor is a bad game that has made gw lots of money. making more money doesn't make it good. good for stockholders maybe but nobody should buy gw stock.
gw's miniatures are made with a very high production standard. that is one measure of quality.
gw's miniatures in the last few years seem to mostly be sculpted by committee, using a lot of digital tools and not much artistic merit. depending on what you want out of them, that might matter a lot to you, or not at all.
everyone who uses the phrase "the hobby" to refer to anything specific to GW is probably too far gone to help
if you regurgitate the arguments of idiots you're not trolling, you're just supporting idiots. if you want to trick someone by saying something that nobody should believe could come out of your mouth, you'll need to better establish your reputation as not an idiot first
the artistic merit of a miniature is important if you're evaluating it as a work of art.
the functional purpose of a game piece is to work as a game piece, and that's the way it should be evaluated
when you're using nominal works of art as game pieces, you have competing priorities that may not be well aligned
gws miniatures are a problem in part because they often put artistic merit above game function, but then still fail as works of art.
if you just want to play a game, proxying anything that works as the game piece should be completely fine with everyone. If you want to build a vignette that tells a story by assembling works of art, then thematic and artistic consistency with the works of art may be important to you.
if your goal is just to test the purity of your fellow players' devotion to your tribe, insisting on brand loyalty is a convenient filtering mechanism

amusingly though, they're getting better about it recently, which is exactly the argument gw defenders in this thread are pushing to justify continuing to support gw
but infiniti is bad because it's too anime, and I think you will find that anime is bad

malifaux is too goth

warmahordes is too steep of a learning curve to learn all the intricate nonintuitive tricks, you can't play by just attacking with your dudes or whatever

they're all three just ridiculously better games than warhammer though, like it's not even close

they have a useless chain of stores that cost them too much money to run, and pass those costs on to the consumers through higher product markups
like seriously you still can't count on a one-man gw store to be open during reasonable hours, have room to play games in, have products you want in stock, or have a sales person available to help you if a single (1) other customer got there a little before you did
they are still routinely increasing prices on ancient kits instead of what literally every other company on earth does, which is discount old product
they renamed a ton of their stuff to really stupid names in a completely misguided attempt to protect IP. this does not actually protect their IP in any way more than it was before, and no, they're not even using them to register as trademarks (of course they aren't, that would be ridiculously expensive)
the former horrible ceo is still clinging to the company's executive board, and being paid for it, like a bloated leech, and it shows
the company's website is a laughingstock. it functions only as a web store, and fails in many amusing ways at even doing that. it does little or nothing to introduce the company's products in a coherent or accessible way, goes out of its way to present products based not on suitability but price, is not the location of what minimal social engagement the company deigns to do, and constantly decides you're not in the country you are in.
the company's policy of never having sales runs contrary to a century of business evolution
the company still seems to evaluate its products solely based on sales figures, while ignoring critical factors that affect those sales like: recency of the item's release, utility of the item in their own games, price vs utility, the degree to which customers feel embarassed even picking up the item in a store because of its name, and more
the company still has no debt, which sounds fine until you consider the annual impact of missed opportunities to invest up front in something that would pay off long term. there is a reason virtually all public and most private companies borrow, it's literally why corporations exist in the first place (to raise investments while shielding the company owners from the financial risk of being ruined if the company's risks don't pan out).
gw is still not taking advantage of the enormous success of the total war: warhammer game to sell physical games and miniatures products to a large set of potential new customers, even though the game came out like a year ago now or something
gw's annual conventions are still just massive sales events where nothing is actually on discount and you pay to get in
the magazines still suck and are again just ads you pay for that give you nothing you couldn't have gotten in a blog post or by browsing their web store (ok I guess at least the magazine remembers your country preference from one visit to the next, lol)
gw as far as I know still has pretty terrible/abusive policies towards its employees. you still have to basically act like you're joining a cult to get hired, you will be paid terribly, and you will either burn out quickly or be fired due to failing to meet wildly unrealistic sales quotas
gw is still charging more for its products in australia and new zealand than it costs to buy them in the UK and ship them to australia and new zealand, even after currency conversion inefficiencies, for absolutely no fathomable reason. it clearly doesn't even help them make more money in those countries. And they still go out of their way to prevent anyone from engaging in the obviously huge arbitrage opportunity this presents, by going after any online retailer sending products internationally to those countries
oh yeah you can't advertise a discount on gw's products online, becuase that would compete with their always-full-price webstore. For some reason this approach basically works, because people buy a lot of gw products at full price direct from their webstore even though you can always get them at a discount from an online retailer if you're willing to jump through the hoops necessary to place an order with them
gw still doesn't test and revise its games rules with actual players, just in house, and the results are obvious
gw's got no forums
gw's approach to attracting girls and women to play their games is still hilariously nonexistent, because their sales figures say only boys and men buy their stuff, so obviously that's just how things are
gw is lazily cashing in on some of its ancient games' lingering popularity by republishing them without even the most desultory attempt to make them be good games in the modern era, and for some reason it works because of I don't know, either nostalgia, or people just want the models and it's the only option for getting them at less than full gw packaged retail?
gw's settings no longer work as satire directed at the thatcher administration or the horrors of the cold war but the company cannot seem to find the ability or will or maybe just desire to make its fiction relevant to modern concerns like maybe terrorism or populism or global warming or something

I could keep going but who cares. I'm sure someone will disagree with all of these points and feel free to type three thousand words refuting them but I don't care. Today the really sweet outdoor semiferal cat we occasionally see and feed when we see him limped up to my patio bloody and with a broken jaw and weighing like four pounds, matted in his own piss, and between the $250 the cat rescue people threw in and the $350 I put in, we have enough money just to find out if his jaw can be wired (he'll have a shot at making it with a month or three of intensive care in my bathroom) or not (we can't pony up for reconstructive surgery with a metal plate, that's thousands of dollars, so he's done).

LordAba
Oct 22, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I went to the game store and instead of playing a GW game I played a game of Aetherium. It was fun, and my hounds won the game by running around like mad capturing objectives. RIP puppies.

Maybe you should play a game you like. It would help you relax.

Broken Record Talk
Jul 28, 2009

A three-hundred thousand degree baptism by nuclear fire;
we had it coming.

I saved a bunch of money on my car insurance by switching to Geico. Then spent it on Blood Bowl miniatures. It's really a game, and everyone should try it.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I don't know why I'm bothering with this, but...

ilmucche posted:

Where do new space marines come from? If a chapter is 1000 marines, and they keep dying in all their missions like that guy in the DoW III trailer, where do the new ones come from? Of the 1000 is there a support crew of regular human folks who do all the logistics?
Every space marine grows two 'geneseeds' that can be extracted and provide the bioweirdness stuff to make new marines from people. The harvest these from mature marines, so there is a stock of material to make new ones as needed, and they can also be taken from dead marines. So every chapter is generally in the process of making replacement marines. No, they wouldn't actually be able to keep up with the loses you see in DOW or anything, because GW picked '1000' ages ago when you fielded like 20 dudes and it seemed like a big number.

Every chapter has a bunch of non-marine people who do things like maintenance and logistics and stuff, so that the actual marines are reserved for actual combat roles. If you think of Marines as Knights, they are basically a bunch of pages and serfs who supply and provide for them.

quote:

The Imperium knows how to make a ton of their stuff; like there are entire planets devoted to producing tanks for the Imperial Guard. Anything you see in the hands of the Imperium is probably something they know how to actually produce. The Imperium actually develops their own variation of standard vehicles, too, some things like the Basilisk and the Griffin were designed and developed by the Imperium (well, Mars). There is an upper level of stuff where it is complicated and finicky enough that they don't have huge-scale production at work - stuff like Land Raiders and Terminator Armor, as well as a lot of the spaceships.

Also the lore is kind of confused on this point, because there is some of it that says that the Mechanicus actually knows how to make a lot of stuff and is careful about controlling and releasing that information to preserve their power, other lore that seems to say that almost everyone is a moron, and other fluff that says stuff has been engineered by guardsmen in the field or random hivers who apparently can work out how poo poo works just fine.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Leperflesh posted:

all hobbies are luxuries

malifaux is too goth

gw's got no forums

Same

Sir Teabag
Oct 26, 2007

Pierzak posted:

Behold, the reason to play Infinity:

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Cat expenses just ballooned to $1000. The cat charity rescue place is covering $250, and they're also gonna pay for his neuter, disease tests (FVRCP and combo leukemia + aids), and provide oral antibiotics. But I'm still on the hook for the other $750 for the xrays, IV, surgery, antibiotics, sedation, and whatever the gently caress Torbugesic, Famotidine, and Cefazolin are. Oh and a vitamin B12 IV bag. With a Vitamin C IV additive. and a Dextrose 2.5% IV. Those are all on top of the basic charge for the IV fluid bag and pump usage.

Ooh, $45 for intravenous catheterization!

He had maggots crawling out of wounds around his butt wounds, too. With a broken jaw he couldn't lick clean his other wounds so the flies got to him. :barf: Also means he was definitely injured for long enough for fly eggs to hatch.

But, good news. The jaw is broken in the front, not at the joint, so no exotic reconstruction surgery needed. He's getting it wired up now.

But, bad news for me: 7-8 weeks. He's gonna need to be fed liquid food and stay with us for seven to eight weeks before the wires come out. The only place realistically we can put him that isn't with our other cats is in a bathroom. This guy is gonna go loving nuts after two weeks, we know from experience the last time we had to do something similar. I honestly have no drat idea what I am gonna do with a socialized-but-semiferal recently castrated male cat who has recovered his body strength and wants OUT but has his jaw wired and will die without being fed liquid food until the wiring comes out.

Coordinator lady says I should run a gofundme and also hit up all my neighbors for money. I know my next door neighbor, but he's just renting and hasn't got spare money. I have spoken to one or two other neighbors but I am not exactly at a point where asking for hundreds of dollars for cat surgery expenses would seem OK and normal.

So, welp. He's gonna make someone a nice pet, probably.

Hey, anyone in the SF Bay area or hell the whole of northern california feel up to caring for a recovering injured cat? He's a super sweet boy, wants to be pet, and is a long hair stripey grey cat. I will deliver him for free.

Leperflesh fucked around with this message at 05:30 on Mar 31, 2017

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
Let me ask my sister.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
She says she's not at home enough to nurse it back to health but that she's open to the idea of taking it in once it's on solid food. She's in San Francisco.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all
And any chance of a picture to send her?

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

nopantsjack posted:

what hobby projects are y'all up to? I've got bit by the modelling bug but am totally indecisive about what to get so I'm just making random terrain until I figure it out but my latest, biggest project (bridge over punji pit) melted when I sprayed it cause I'm a dummie and was like "durr all packing foam is the same!".

hot dogs are the only thing i eat with ketchup

IKEA plants into jungle terrain

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

Atlas Hugged posted:

And any chance of a picture to send her?

I can post a somewhat unfortunate pic of him drooling blood through the door of a cat carrier now, or, I can wait till at least tomorrow and post much nicer photos of him post-op and cleaned up.

He's out of surgery now but they decided to keep him overnight.

Tell her if she decides she's not up to the task of this guy, our rescue group has probably 200+ other cats she can choose from. There's a cream colored boy, very friendly, that might be someone's lost cat but is probably abandoned as well, we just got photos of him on our porch tonight:

e. just to be clear, this is not the injured cat. Just a second easier option for your sister. But we'd be very very happy to find a home for the stripey boy, even if it's just for after he's back to decently good health.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
I love you all

Check your PMs.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Leperflesh, I don't agree completely on the GW stuff, but this cat shouldn't suffer for it. I think I've still got your email from old oath thread stuff, I'll be in touch about a donation.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.
You are the hero this thread has, not the one it deserves, LF. :glomp:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I would blow Dane Cook
Dec 26, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 19 hours!
Sell the cat to games workshop, it can poo poo out better models for them.

• Locked thread