Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

nopantsjack posted:

So where are hixson and the rascally rabbit getting their posts from?

I would first, consult myself. Because I have a good brain and I've said a lot of things.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Is there a good mad Max style tabletop game? It seems like a vehicle skirmish game that encourages kitbashing would own bomes.

grassy gnoll
Aug 27, 2006

The pawsting business is tough work.

Bad Moon posted:

So people do like the butts in Infinity!

Wait so we're the bird and hyena pics trolls too?

I can't speak for CLC, but I was posting pictures of baby carrion eaters because A) they are cute and B) it seemed like a thread appropriate version of the dinosaur game, but nobody really bit.

Leperflesh post the gofundme.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

nopantsjack posted:

Is there a good mad Max style tabletop game? It seems like a vehicle skirmish game that encourages kitbashing would own bomes.

Gorkamorka?

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

https://www.gofundme.com/medical-bills-for-crash-the-cat

I resisted gofundme's demands to link to facebook: even though every one of them said it was just to get my photo, the fine print says it's actually to scrape up and spam all of my contacts and store other facebook info etc. There is no "just upload a photo of me" option that I can find, it's hoover up my Facebook or nothing.

If anyone wants to verify that I'm who I say I am or whatever, send me a PM, or email me at my user name at gmail.com, I can provide that. Please don't doxx me.

We've decided to call the cat Crash.

They kept him overnight, so I'll be bringing him home in a couple hours. I expect to be able to post some good photos of a cat with a shaved jawline and visible surgical wiring or something, I don't really know what to expect exactly.

Thanks everyone who has offered to donate, and I apologize to those of you who are irritated by injured cat rescue operations in the GW death thread. You can go back to posting your ironic reposts or whatnot.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

nopantsjack posted:

I didn't find one so I tried to make it myself based on x-wing, battlefleet gothic, kings of war and other bits and bobs

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops

Leperflesh posted:

https://www.gofundme.com/medical-bills-for-crash-the-cat

I resisted gofundme's demands to link to facebook: even though every one of them said it was just to get my photo, the fine print says it's actually to scrape up and spam all of my contacts and store other facebook info etc. There is no "just upload a photo of me" option that I can find, it's hoover up my Facebook or nothing.

If anyone wants to verify that I'm who I say I am or whatever, send me a PM, or email me at my user name at gmail.com, I can provide that. Please don't doxx me.

We've decided to call the cat Crash.

They kept him overnight, so I'll be bringing him home in a couple hours. I expect to be able to post some good photos of a cat with a shaved jawline and visible surgical wiring or something, I don't really know what to expect exactly.

Thanks everyone who has offered to donate, and I apologize to those of you who are irritated by injured cat rescue operations in the GW death thread. You can go back to posting your ironic reposts or whatnot.

Don't sweat man. Throwing something your way.

Galaspar
Aug 20, 2006
Will reign this way again
Cat donation sent. Hope the little fella doesn't completely destroy your bathroom.

Communist Thoughts
Jan 7, 2008

Our war against free speech cannot end until we silence this bronze beast!

Not a viking posted:

I didn't find one so I tried to make it myself based on x-wing, battlefleet gothic, kings of war and other bits and bobs

I thought someone had, how'd that go? Got a PDF?

The gorkamorka book owns owns owns! The game rules itself seemed like a product of their times though and I want some sleek modern stuff.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Out here, everything hurts.

Hixson posted:

It proves that most posters in here have no objectivity and will blindly vomit out effort posts whenever a perceived pro GW post appears.

It's pretty funny actually.

Nah, it's more fun to take it seriously, because let's face it, there's no floor to how deep the grognard goes in trad games.

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer
Sent Meowbuxx. Take care of that kitty!

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

nopantsjack posted:

Dave Taylor has done some cool Car Wars conversions. It's Car Wars though, which isn't the most fun game, unless you enjoy lots of recordkeeping.

There was a game called Devil's Run which was a KS a while back. It looks cool, but I have no clue how it plays. I think there was a group at Adepticon playing it - it was a demolition derby event, and looked fairly cool.

Fantasy Flight had a game called Wreckage, though it really didn't deal with vehicle loadouts, other than having a set stable of cars you could pick.

GW had Dark Future, of course. You can find the rules online, but it's way OOP. You did have options for customizing cars though.

There's not a whole lot out there, which is weird, since I think the genre would be ripe for the picking. There is a new version of Car Wars on the horizon, and it is supposed to simplify things a bit, but I don't know of a release date.

berzerkmonkey fucked around with this message at 18:25 on Mar 31, 2017

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Hixson posted:

It proves that most posters in here have no objectivity and will blindly vomit out effort posts whenever a perceived pro GW post appears.

It's pretty funny actually.

Talk me through this. You've copied and pasted posts from dumb fans on a dumb rabid 40k forum, passed them off as your own, and because people argued with the dumb opinions that means those people are not objective yadda yadda

I don't think I understand the logic. Mostly it's funny when people fall for it because hahaha they're earnestly arguing with fake posts but posting this poo poo for ten pages probably says more about you guys than the thread.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

berzerkmonkey posted:

Dave Taylor has done some cool Car Wars conversions. It's Car Wars though, which isn't the most fun game, unless you enjoy lots of recordkeeping.

There was a game called Devil's Run which was a KS a while back. It looks cool, but I have no clue how it plays. I think there was a group at Adepticon playing it - it was a demolition derby event, and looked fairly cool.

Fantasy Flight had a game called Wreckage, though it really didn't deal with vehicle loadouts, other than having a set stable of cars you could pick.

GW had Dark Future, of course. You can find the rules online, but it's way OOP. You did have options for customizing cars though.

There's not a whole lot out there, which is weird, since I think the genre would be ripe for the picking. There is a new version of Car Wars on the horizon, and it is supposed to simplify things a bit, but I don't know of a release date.

Gorkamorka?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Gorkamorka is always a good answer.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

Talk me through this. You've copied and pasted posts from dumb fans on a dumb rabid 40k forum, passed them off as your own, and because people argued with the dumb opinions that means those people are not objective yadda yadda

I don't think I understand the logic. Mostly it's funny when people fall for it because hahaha they're earnestly arguing with fake posts but posting this poo poo for ten pages probably says more about you guys than the thread.

Thirsty Dog posted:

Mostly it's funny when people fall for it because hahaha they're earnestly arguing with fake posts

You only had to look inside the post, for the answer

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

That doesn't say anything about objectivity.

Not a viking
Aug 2, 2008

Feels like I just got laid

nopantsjack posted:

I thought someone had, how'd that go? Got a PDF?

The gorkamorka book owns owns owns! The game rules itself seemed like a product of their times though and I want some sleek modern stuff.

Sure. I'll try and remember next time I'm on my computer. I haven't actually play testes it though

berzerkmonkey
Jul 23, 2003

Lord_Hambrose already brought it up. But yes, Gorkamorka is the obvious choice.

Safety Factor
Oct 31, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Thirsty Dog posted:

Does it? I'll be honest, I got to the point where I was barely reading the posts I was pasting in here and I know I was including all sorts of contradictory bullshit. We even resorted to quoting space wolf posters and their weird RP gimmick at one point. gently caress, I used a post that cited a completely unrelated Navy study about destroyers. And yet, people still tried to respond in good faith and argue with our nonsense. Over and over again despite posters such as yourself trying to call us out on it. B&C is a treasure trove of awful 40k posting and it took very little effort to find new content that vaguely said what we wanted.

This whole ordeal, experiment, or whatever it may have been really highlights the dogged determination of the death thread to stick to its gimmick. Y'all need some objectivity.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

Thirsty Dog posted:

That doesn't say anything about objectivity.

You blindly disagreed with several non-sensical posts without even reading them.

Seriously, go back and re-read some of them. They literally make no sense.

Hixson
Mar 27, 2009

I mean, it's no secret that I love GW and drat near everything that they do. But atleast it's for a real reason

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

Hixson posted:

You blindly disagreed with several non-sensical posts without even reading them.

You didn't read the replies if you thought I disagreed with them, given that I was busy sighing and shaking my head and not posting except to yell "source your quotes".

People disagreeing with poo poo posts doesn't mean they've lost all objectivity and are blinding attacking "perceived" pro-GW posts, it means they're arguing with someone who's putting forward lovely opinions and trying to make sense of nonsense.

It's dumb of people not to recognise when others are shitposting, but it doesn't mean posters here are disagreeing just because. Post disagreeable poo poo, get disagreed with.

It's still better than Gundams but let's not pretend you've managed to prove some grand statement about the Death Thread.

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Hixson posted:

Liquid Communism posted:

Y'all are biting on some seriously low effort trolls today.

Are you done masturbating in the thread yet?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

Are you done masturbating in the thread yet?

Are any of us, ever, truly not jerking it? Existentially I mean.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
I dunno. There were definitely posters in this thread who were going line by line through obvious troll posts. Some of them were thread regulars and others were new to here. Some people, and I'm including myself in this, were trying to focus on one area they felt passionate about. I doubt all of the contrary opinions, regardless of topic, were all trolls because they were simply too specific. If they were edited to match what myself and other people were typing, then at what point do they stop being C/P garbage and start being reflective of the people posting it? Last, there were definitely people posting, "Don't reply these are troll posts," so trying to say that the Death Thread is full of people who blindly hate GW and will effort post their hate no matter what isn't really an accurate statement.

But whatever, the whole thing is head scratching to me. It's like what I and others have said in these and related threads: If you want to talk about game design and game theory, I (and others) are happy to do so. I don't get the brand loyalty.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

ijyt and panascope were funny, hixson got preachy near the end.

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

nopantsjack posted:

I'm pretty sure iv been responding to bots clumsily pasting together posts from warhammer fansites but it passes the time and my girlfriend is at work.

"nopantsjack' posted:

AoS got a couple things right:

Pretty good value boxed set for a GW game.
"Free rules" for the couple weeks they stuck to that.
Online profiles for the units as they're brought out.
Stealing Warmahordes synergy focus.
I guess some people point to the monster wounds system but it's just a less interesting version of warmahordes' fancy module damage system imo

Also I guess the double turn system makes games shorter cause if you get two turns in a row you win most of the time?

It's a very simple ruleset that made a bunch of huge, baffling, obvious mistakes though (no points, measure from the base' all damaging spells and abilities boiled down to xd6 mortal wounds) and delivering it off the back of end times... I can't imagine how pissed I'd be if I'd invested in those books and armies.

It doesn't bode well for a future 40k rework that looks imminent, I'd genuinely recommend any earnest 40k players to wait for AoS40k to hit before picking up anything except probably the space Marines new releases which will be incorporated into whatever comes next unless GW are totally mad.

"nopantsjack' posted:

They won't end times 40k in that they won't shitcan the whole setting but the current event is just the end times for 40k even down to all the elves allying into a single crazy powerful list, an evil supermage appearing and chaos going crazy blowing up worlds.

They will try and 'streamline' the setting in the same way they've streamlined fantasy I.e. by splitting all the factions into multiple minifactions (old poo poo dwarves, Slayer dwarves, steampunk mlady dwarves) which to an extent they're already doing.

E sorry for big double posts, phone posting on a train to pass the time.

"nopantsjack' posted:

I'd say the GW cultists will get theirs shortly but we saw with AoS GW can squat all the teams and lore and release the worst game imaginable but sunk costs will always trump reason eventually in some folk.

I'm looking forward to AoS40k though because those early days when we all had ideas of how it might be alright then every piece of real info was worse and bafflingly awful... those were the salad days.

The latest releases are so end times it's incredible, check out the tactics pages for the 40k version of the united elf army and it's like "don't play this because it's too OP" and guilliman buffs your whole army massively.
When people say GW has improved they generally mean they're selling things people want to buy (at huge markup and with monopose CAD models) and putting out Facebook posts. There's actually no evidence they're getting better at writing rules but then again who actually wants to play Warhammer lmao. It's "the hobby" not a game.

"nopantsjack' posted:

I'm reasonably young and just beginning to have lots of disposable income so I'm the target demo and even I know 40k isn't worth getting into anymore.

Prices aside, formations, flyers and super heavies don't look like anything I can be bothered to deal with. Although I suppose funilly enough buying 3 of those big knight robits is probably the cheapest way to build an army.
Also you can't guarantee anything other than the newest stuff won't get shitcanned when all the tyranids and necrons die offscreen or whatever.

New thread title is great.

"nopantsjack' posted:

It'd be cool if all the new blood could stay in the thread though it hasn't moved this fast in ages.

Also I've got a feeling you'll need the death thread in a few more months :)

"nopantsjack' posted:

This is exactly like the death thread during end times haha

Jesus there have been some truly embarrassing giant posts on the last few pages about people's attachment to their plastic men and the company that's been ripping them off for decades.

Otoh the 40k fans who say AoSing 40k won't destroy it are right, there's gonna be a number of people posting ATM whose armies will be insultingly shitcanned like all the fantasy ones and they'll do what the ham fans did I.e. look at the thousands of quid invested in "the hobby" they have and decide hmm maybe I'll just buy those Stormfire Ultrafighters and the new Guilliman faction box, he looks pretty strong at least!

Tbf the only people coming in here to brag seem to be like a dozen or so super fans who all turned up at once to write thousand word essays comparing Warhammer to poetry.

"nopantsjack' posted:

Instead of getting squatted they'll just get the Empire from fantasy treatment as will every army except marines and chaos, orks and eldar who will get the Slaves to Darkness/black orruks kinda treatment where they're semi baked into new factions or like flesheater courts where parts of them are repackaged into new smaller factions that are perhaps unlikely to see updates.

E these are just my predictions phone posting from my bed I am not Nostradamus and my uncle doesn't work at GW.

"nopantsjack' posted:

Also can we talk about what kinda sigmarification to expect from 8th?

I think deldar and eldar kinda get semi squatted into a new aeldari soulbastion faction.

I don't see any armies getting the bretonnia treatment apart from maybe sisters but I do think most of the old teams will get the whole free inferior free rules thing with new releases coming as effective subfactions made up of only half a dozen unique units ala Fyreslyrers that sort of obsolete the old models that or maybe even like the archaon guard where there's a whole codez for some REALLY expensive guys.
True scale Marines kinda hints at this but I don't think they'd do that to marines, maybe a team of Primarchforged Thunderbattlers that are more expensive and better marines.

The general AoS approach where existing teams are given a cursory free booklet and streamlined into single factions but then GW complicates things by e.g. creating 3 dwarf armies that can't fully ally.

"nopantsjack' posted:

What got the bad thread posters so riled up?

More than 1000 words responding to nonsense posts.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all

tallkidwithglasses posted:

Yeah but he's hardly a thread regular.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

tallkidwithglasses posted:

What impressed me is that in the middle of all this, someone still managed to rile Stanyer up somehow

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

I sort of just skimmed past the word walls until someone mentioned a hurt cat, then scrolled back up to get the skinny on the pet sitch, but I still couldn't help laughing when I caught that in the middle of the flurry

Moola
Aug 16, 2006
SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU STUPID AUTISTS

Chill la Chill
Jul 2, 2007

Don't lose your gay

Threads are stuff to post in when there's downtime at work or school so idk why anyone cares. The "troll" posts are things people actually believe in but are too lazy to write themselves and can use a puppet master defense on top of that. :shrug:

Atlas Hugged posted:

But whatever, the whole thing is head scratching to me. It's like what I and others have said in these and related threads: If you want to talk about game design and game theory, I (and others) are happy to do so. I don't get the brand loyalty.
I enjoy seeing tit for tat game theory and I wish there was more of a compromise between ameritrash games that take forever and enjoy that sort of "take that" gameplay with eurogames that have set turn limits to prevent that and force players to actually optimize their turns.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

spectralent
Oct 1, 2014

Me and the boys poppin' down to the shops
In gripping news everyone was keenly following, spending too much time looking at the GW web store has convinced me the new golden sisters of battle are NOT direct rips of Deldar warriors but possibly have shared design elements.

Iceclaw
Nov 4, 2009

Fa la lanky down dilly, motherfuckers.

Moola posted:

SHUT THE gently caress UP YOU STUPID AUTISTS AND BUY GW PRODUCTS

Moola?!

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Moola posted:

Can Skulls be autistic?

Liquid Communism
Mar 9, 2004

Moola posted:

But Moola, how will they satisfy their need to have ownzed the thread if the autistic screeching stops?

TKIY
Nov 6, 2012
Grimey Drawer

Liquid Communism posted:

But Moola, how will they satisfy their need to have ownzed the thread if the autistic screeching stops?

You owned yourself, playa!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tallkidwithglasses
Feb 7, 2006

spectralent posted:

You guys are worse than reddit rats.

spectralent posted:

Real talk I am actually uncontrollably angry about people who get mad at GMO food because they read an article in the mail about how it'll give them three heads.

spectralent posted:

Coming from the person with the rabbit tracer avatar.

spectralent posted:

this but unironically. Carrots aren't orange and bananas are an ecologically vulnerable monoculture. Many commercial varieties of corn are infertile. Sheep need shearing because we bred them to make so much wool they'll overheat if we don't. We've messed with nature for millenia and it's only bothering people now because of some luddite yuck-factor response when it should be bugging people because you shouldn't be able to patent genetic sequences and definitely shouldn't be able to claim wild plants as your own if insects cross-fertilised with something in a forest somewhere nearby.

spectralent posted:

My condiments for the pun but I feel like I've still got a lot to ketchup on to compete with this thread.

spectralent posted:

The printing press also allowed people to learn wrong things faster, just not as fast. It's not like papers are so much better.

spectralent posted:

Oh yeah, sure. The article the GMO thing comes from is literally top search on google. I was just actually mad. In terms of trolling that was definitely the best post, the rest were just making me take forever on facebook stapling arguments together.

spectralent posted:

otoh you're the guy who thinks the star wars prequels are good so nah

spectralent posted:

why are 10 space marines £25

edit: wait five assault marines are £25 how is GW still in business

spectralent posted:

I mean, yeah, they're better, in that having a "start collecting" box is better than not having any entry point or that having a PR stream that's constantly full of jokes at the fandom's expense is better than remaining totally silent and firing plastic into the void every three weeks, but the lines as a whole are still massively overpriced and overdetailed and we're still in a state of genuine wonder, again, whether or not several armies are even going to exist next year when the current 40k metaplot is finished, which is insane given that exact thing just happened to Warhammer and was widely considered a Bad Move.

spectralent posted:

I mean, it has points and something that looks like a scenario system now but it's still a trainwreck. There's several scenarios that're over if someone has something particularly fast to double-turn onto an objective, and if you don't do that then the game ends up won by either whoever has the One Weird Trick that rolls ninety dice rerolling 1s and 5s and doing d3 mortal wounds and/or gets a double combat turn that butchers everything. The patch for summoning stuff inadvertently killed the utility of horrors. There's still bizarre BS like "my enormous chariot is in the way of this dude so I can't see him but I can see through that dude's legs so I can see through him" and shooting out of combat to kill stuff miles away. You can still kill the crew of a gun and knock the gun out and that might be necessary because so many guns just annihilate everything if you bring like four or five of them.

Points are a really obvious thing to fix if you were going to start fixing AOS but I still feel really bad for anyone who plays it.

spectralent posted:

I think "angry" kind of overstates it but there's a definite frustration with GW because GW does try and monopolise people's game spaces even though the games are poo poo. Like people said, if Necromunda does come back there's going to be a bunch of Infinity/Deadzone players who lose out because, even if it's poo poo, it has orks in it.

spectralent posted:

TIL people have regular pay cheques and also infinite free time with which to not only schedule games with other people who have infinite free time but also assemble and paint toy soldiers.

Oh and infinite capacity to remember an infinite amount of rulesets with no other things they need to think about. Also we're all immortal so time spent doing any one thing is basically interchangeable and definitely NOT a waste.

EDIT: Wait, hang on, mentions of capitalism, "not expensive if you have a job " :smug:posting... You're one of those people who unironically uses the term poorhammer to defend your sunk costs in bad games, aren't you?

spectralent posted:

People are wrong on the internet.

spectralent posted:

I'm personally looking forward to changes at GW that are going to make it a cool and good company superior to it's competition like:

1. Hmm.
2. Th- wait, no.
3. Give me a minute.

spectralent posted:

Really subjective. GW have released like maybe three models since sigmar that don't look like rear end, IMO. Unless you're including, like, absolutely every miniatures company including the guys who're casting dumpy potato men out of pure lead in 40 year old moulds in which case sure.

GW are at least doing well in eliminating mould defects recently on models I've seen; they've generally been totally free of flash and mould lines. But the actual models they make... Yeah, not convinced.

spectralent posted:

There's a bunch of stuff you can decide in AoS, but the issue is it's way outweighed by random variation in a couple of big things and that some choices matter way more than others. Double-turns are game-ruiningly bad, and I've seen several armies where I'm just wondering why they're even played because people just straight walk over them. Artillery is particularly bad.

The issues with GW's cargo cult design are, I feel, most emblematic with the removal of charts you mentioned. You put forward sound logic; it's true that you can build threat and vulnerability into the individual models, and that removing a chart speeds things up. But why keep hit and damage? You've got a single "threat" value, there, that's largely independent of everything else (there's some "reroll 1s to hit" type stuff, but that's not incompatible with a single dice roll for attack). All it does is prolong resolution and increase the randomness of a given number of attacks.

spectralent posted:

I mean, if you want to phrase "spending money on good looking models instead of bad ones" that way, sure, but that just seems like common sense.

spectralent posted:

Sure. I'm just not convinced given GW's track record they're really going to sit and do a lot of soul searching about what really needs to go in a ruleset and what's just sacred cows they won't kill and stuff that seems "fun". I mean, this is the company that made both LotR and Epic and did nothing with either of them.

Who was responsible for LotR and Epic, anyway? I have a weird feeling they're not at GW anymore, either way, but I wouldn't be surprised if they were at mantic or something.

spectralent posted:

I feel like the horror tag is getting less ironic the more posts I see today.

AoS has eternal warfare against blood-soaked lunatics who're somehow slowly poisoning infinity with people who kill humans on the off-chance they're corrupted being the good guys. It's still pretty grimdark, it's just stopped orientating the camera on anyone it's possible to care about (maybe there's human viewpoint characters in the novels but so far basically the only people who show bare skin in AoS are the bad guys who're also mad max villains).

Also the "It's a generational thing, protagonists can't be grounded now" thing is dumb. Fourteen year olds like invincible space marine heroes, did do and always will do. People in their 40s don't have a monopoly on liking characters with flaws.

spectralent posted:

I feel like the horror tag is getting less ironic the more posts I see today.

AoS has eternal warfare against blood-soaked lunatics who're somehow slowly poisoning infinity with people who kill humans on the off-chance they're corrupted being the good guys. It's still pretty grimdark, it's just stopped orientating the camera on anyone it's possible to care about (maybe there's human viewpoint characters in the novels but so far basically the only people who show bare skin in AoS are the bad guys who're also mad max villains).

Also the "It's a generational thing, protagonists can't be grounded now" thing is dumb. Fourteen year olds like invincible space marine heroes, did do and always will do. People in their 40s don't have a monopoly on liking characters with flaws.

spectralent posted:

This is a pretty basic expectation, yeah. It's not as universal as it should be (looking at you Battlefront) but I'd say a majority of companies have some attempt at a schedule and the fact GW doesn't when GW has a historical trust problem from pulling rugs out is pretty baffling.

spectralent posted:

It's kind of amazing how GW fans are even bad at being bad.

spectralent posted:

This is definitely one of the weirder accusations, since my experience of, and what I hear from other people playing, Infinity is that generally proxying is fine so long as you're clear what's what and are okay with reminding someone, especially since like half the weapon loadouts don't have models.

spectralent posted:

Maybe this was meant to be sarcastic, but, sure, if you're going to go "All the red caps are pawns and all the green ones are bishops", or something. Or just scratch a big white "P" into your pawn-caps.

I guess this is just straight agree-to-disagree territory because I generally love good conversions and I've never usually found it hard to see substitutes.

It seems a lot like a load of people are looking at this as a "someone's got an army of identical things and is deliberately trying to create confusion for what they are so they can claim their meltas are actually flamers" but that's just straight-up cheating and you shouldn't play with cheats.

Oh my god that's perfect.

If you wouldn't play that because it's not actually a C'Tan I don't know what's wrong with you but hopefully there's a procedure for it.

I realise you're just shitposting but... The right models? For chess?

Infinity is GITS which doesn't have one of those.

In the spirit of "saying something nice about GW" the celestine is actually a decent sculpt, but in keeping with the general thrust of GW's improvements she's also a trap choice for a dead faction to milk people who haven't accepted that yet. Also how the gently caress do you get her to a game? She'd need her own personal case.

spectralent posted:

Oh of course the magnets she comes with for the metal case everyone owns. Also she's NEVER jolted and snaps at thin pieces of plastic that attach her to her base.

Also real-talk I actually like the older infinity paintjobs more than the new ones, everything looks so monotone now.

spectralent posted:

Again, I think this is more of an issue with a lack of clarity than having proxies or conversions per se. If it's a big deal (one's a predator and one's a land raider, or something)... I mean, I'd be tempted to say "Use a tiger for the land raider" or something but if that's absolutely not an option you could do something like fold a napkin around the barrel.

Though I've never actually seen vehicles, especially in 28mm, that are actually identical; usually people give them different camo or markings at least.

I don't think this is a "we're here to accomodate the poors" argument, and the mere existence of poorhammer and classism-based plastic soldiers discourse is loving baffling. This is just a "I have some dudes and I like these dudes, why does the dumb game not want my business" argument. You get a lot more people invested if they can actually play your game than if they're locked out by a £2-300 minimum spend.

spectralent posted:

But to be clear, again, this doesn't have anything to do with getting to a table and going "These are not Citadel Miniatures (tm) Space Marines (tm)! You just class-signalled your way out of this hobby, bucko!" and leaving, which is insane.

spectralent posted:

Sadly most of the shitposting is coming from inside the thread.

spectralent posted:

Again that's literally not what happens from my experience. I've played Infinity and nobody gives a poo poo if you proxy. I don't play Malifaux but I'm around that community, and I know they don't give a poo poo, and I assume the same is true of Warmachine.

And yeah, bringing bottlecaps to chess wouldn't matter. Just write what they are on them or something, chess sets have had abstract pieces for decades. There's almost certainly an actual chess set that's more confusing than labelled pogs.

spectralent posted:

I've played chess over IRC by doing lovely ascii on a .txt file and sending that back and forth when I was bored at school once, so I'm pretty sure I could play chess with differently-coloured bottlecaps.

spectralent posted:

It's gotta be the most active this thread's been when GW hasn't actually done anything.

um it's actually a flamer???

spectralent posted:

This is legitimately pissing me off because:

1. Everything contains chemicals

2. All food is artificial

3. All fruit and vegetables (or close to) that we eat are genetically modified. Corn didn't just spring into existence fully-formed

High-fructose corn syrup is bad poo poo and I'm really surprised to see it contains mercury but the fact ketchup has GMOs in it has absolutely no issue for the consumer.

GMOs and their regulation are a massive issue if you care about biodiversity, the rights of farmers, the right of a company to own basic science, and so on, but being genetically modified is going to do jack poo poo to your health on it's lonesome (and even then most food is actually fortified, instead of being made less nutritious, so most GMO food contains more nutrient content, not less).

EDIT: Also checking our ketchup it's mostly water, 29% puree, and vinegar, so I guess the UK has less lovely ketchup.

spectralent posted:

How do zombicide minis paint up? Are they one of those horrible plastics that blobs paint?

This is getting weirdly prosperity gospel for a discussion about toy soldier etiquette but: You realise what the company does has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not you're cool with people proxying, right? That's just not being a dick.

Or is this irony, now? I really can't tell anymore.

Almost 2500 words arguing with nonsense, including Safety Factor's phenomenal ketchup post.

• Locked thread