Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer
watching someone play SC is a far better way to experience the product tho

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Space Crabs posted:

Also objects that travel in real space move at speeds like 16,000 - 18,850 meters per second which is like Star Citizen ship speeds times 100.

I'm sure if NASA was puttering around it's probes at the speed of world war 2 prop airplanes then inches per fortnight or whatever would be perfectly fine.

It's furlongs per forthnight. Get it right. Gaaaahwd.

MedicineHut
Feb 25, 2016

boviscopophobic posted:

I mean that the total playtime aggregated over all players on the leaderboard was about 2149 hours, accumulated over a reporting period of about 178 hours, which works out to an average of 12,065 concurrent players using a comma decimal separator, European-style.

There is no loving way that has got 12k concurrent I am afraid. That is even more than War Thunder. Can you please break down the exact numbers. How many players in total, and how many hours per player etc.

e: gently caress didnt see the "," platinum only

MedicineHut fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Mar 31, 2017

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

:siren: Attention poor CIG intern that monitors this thread :siren:

This link https://robertsspaceindustries.com/faq/faq-ptu which helps people get into the PTU has a broken link within the instructions on step 1 that leads to a 404. The link can probably be removed as it causes a tad bit of confusion. The bad link is the following: https://robertsspaceindustries.com/account/ptu

I'd post to the issue council but no CIG staff read it.

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

MedicineHut posted:

There is no loving way that has got 12k concurrent I am afraid. That is even more than War Thunder. Can you please break down the exact numbers. How many players in total, and how many hours per player etc.

:thejoke:

Europeans use a comma for their decimals, so boviscopophobic is saying that according to the math there's an average of 12.065 concurrent players.

actually3raccoons
Jun 5, 2013

Looks like we'll never get that SC HOTAS.

http://www.polygon.com/2017/3/31/15137812/mad-catz-shut-down-bankruptcy

Goodnight, sweet prince! May dodgy analog sticks guide you slightly away from the hitbox of your rest.

Colostomy Bag
Jan 11, 2016

:lesnick: C-Bangin' it :lesnick:

Telemicus posted:

Goodnight, sweet prince! May dodgy analog sticks guide you slightly away from the hitbox of your rest.

Well that sucks ball. I wanted to see a controller with 85 programmable buttons.

Kellanved
Sep 7, 2009
They still don't have a delta patcher? I... don't get that.

It's literally one of the first things you do when developing a large project. ffs. But I guess you need some control over your codebase for it, and who knows what's going on in the star citizen source? I wouldn't be surprised if their AI will spontaneously manifest out of that chaos.

Kellanved fucked around with this message at 18:26 on Mar 31, 2017

Lime Tonics
Nov 7, 2015

by FactsAreUseless
Exclusive footage of man being attacked by a GIANT FISH THING

http://i.imgur.com/3NhKnhd.gifv

the horror

synthetik
Feb 28, 2007

I forgive you, Will. Will you forgive me?

Hav posted:

This is why IT guys in Florida don't let other IT guys interview in Boca.

This is where we find out you're in Boca.

Edit: Some of those operations are actually out of Metro West off Haiawasse. I ended up attending one as a job interview for an IT guy for an operation that was effectively pulling people into non-existent job interviews to upsell training. I would have been handling their tracking infrastructure.

I walked out of the interview because of their _ethical_ challeneges, not the least was watching people on rented desks in a rented office asking people to pick the job they'd come for out of a laminate book. I needed a job, but I didn't need one that would end in turning up to a deserted office one day.

That wasn't the eModel/Options Talent/Transcon Talent office over there was it? I got a job with them and it took me about six months to figure out that the whole thing was a scam from top to bottom. When they had me literally install a phone in a warehouse closet and forward the 'refund' hotline to it I walked out.

Tippis
Mar 21, 2008

It's yet another day in the wasteland.

Kellanved posted:

They still don't have a delta patcher? I... don't get that.

It's literally one of the first things you do when developing a large project. ffs. But I guess you need some control over your codebase for it, and who knows what's going on in the star citizen source? I wouldn't be surprised if their AI will spontaneously manifest out of that chaos.

The only explanation so far (aside from a snide “they don't care”, which may be part of it too) is that Chris is too stupid to understand that signing your PAK files achieves none of the things his paranoia-infused ego wishes it did, so they have to keep it, and for the same reason, he refuses to let the patcher carry the signing code locally.

Until someone manages to convince him be brave enough to tell him that he's clueless and should just stay the hell away from the development of the game, they're stuck with having to download pre-signed PAKs rather than doing any of the more sensible things like using standard zip libraries to manipulate the containers directly or just not use them at all while in development, and just rsync the whole thing because why the gently caress wouldn't you?

TheAgent
Feb 16, 2002

The call is coming from inside Dr. House
Grimey Drawer

Tippis posted:

The only explanation so far (aside from a snide “they don't care”, which may be part of it too) is that Chris is too stupid to understand that signing your PAK files achieves none of the things his paranoia-infused ego wishes it did, so they have to keep it, and for the same reason, he refuses to let the patcher carry the signing code locally.

Until someone manages to convince him be brave enough to tell him that he's clueless and should just stay the hell away from the development of the game, they're stuck with having to download pre-signed PAKs rather than doing any of the more sensible things like using standard zip libraries to manipulate the containers directly or just not use them at all while in development, and just rsync the whole thing because why the gently caress wouldn't you?
you sound like you don't understand game development, friend

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Lime Tonics posted:

the horror

You have the best gifs

boviscopophobic
Feb 5, 2016

thatguy posted:

It's so weird to me that the streamers can pull like 100+ viewers and there are 4 times less people actually playing the game.

A few points:
  • Total across all the EA modes is ~40 concurrent players, which is somewhat closer to 100
  • Some people opt out of leaderboards (proportion unknown, no way to find out AFAIK)
  • Time spent running around in Star Marine waiting for a match probably isn't counted on the leaderboards.
  • The PU is the most popular game mode but cannot be measured via the leaderboards. Statistics given by CIG at the time of Streetroller's refund suggest a roughly 10:1 to 15:1 ratio of PU game time to all other game modes, over the first six months of 2.x.
  • What is the typical viewer:player ratio of other games? I don't actually know.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

Telemicus posted:

Logitech bought the Saitek bit last year, so there's still an outside chance of getting a piece of kinetic art in controller form.

CrazyLoon
Aug 10, 2015

"..."

Lime Tonics posted:

the horror

It's just trying to get the dandruff out of his scalp.

Hav
Dec 11, 2009

Fun Shoe

synthetik posted:

That wasn't the eModel/Options Talent/Transcon Talent office over there was it? I got a job with them and it took me about six months to figure out that the whole thing was a scam from top to bottom. When they had me literally install a phone in a warehouse closet and forward the 'refund' hotline to it I walked out.

No, similar business model, but this was ostensibly for office jobs that didn't exist. I might have stuck around at a model scam, y'know, for 'research'.

There's another one doing the rounds in Florida for 'promotions' work, although I forget the name.

Lime Tonics posted:

Isn't that a Remora?

thatguy posted:

It's so weird to me that the streamers can pull like 100+ viewers and there are 4 times less people actually playing the game.

Again, it's not playable, and sometimes backers want to wait until the finished product rather than be an alpha/beta tester, mainly because it makes the whole process really loving unfun.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Star Citizen is poo poo

Polish Avenger
Feb 13, 2007
has an invalid opinion.

Lime Tonics posted:

the horror

Are those gills on the top of its head? That's neat.

Daztek
Jun 2, 2006

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen is poo poo

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

:argh:

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen is poo poo
Don't say anything you can't take back. :ohdear:

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

peter gabriel posted:

Star Citizen is the poo poo

FTFY

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
IT'S poo poo GODDAMIT

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat
Look man, I was just completely misrepresenting what you were saying and quite frankly I think your response was uncalled-for

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

D_Smart posted:

2 yrs today, before my 1st 07/15 blog that started a revolution, Chris Baker wrote this article for Wired

Fans Have Dropped $77M on This Guy’s Buggy, Half-Built Game

Thanks. I almost forgot.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

Foo Diddley posted:

Look man, I was just completely misrepresenting what you were saying and quite frankly I think your response was uncalled-for

Agreed

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

Thanks. I almost forgot.

You need to get off this Derek obsession thing you've been on for a while now, and get back to talking about fancy shoes and poo poo

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

From that Wired article from two years ago:

:lol: Why is this always so funny?

quote:

Some examples like Todd Papy that worked on God Of War. Alex Mayberry that was a producer on World Of Warcraft. Sean Tracy from Crytek and so on.
One of these things is not like the other!

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Todd Papy :gary:

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!

peter gabriel posted:

You need to get off this Derek obsession thing you've been on for a while now, and get back to talking about fancy shoes and poo poo

I'm not just shoes and belts. I like ties and shirts too.

ManofManyAliases
Mar 21, 2016
ToastOfManySmarts

Can't post for 3 hours!
Hi everyone!

I wanted to share our plans for the 2.6.2 release today as we're nearing the final stages before going to Live!

2.6.2e-521264 is currently on PTU and is available to all players for testing. The Buccaneer has been made available for all PTU testers!
We've got a singular issue left that we are identifying where all pads are full. This is due to ships not being cleaned up as players leave the game.
A code build has just been completed and is now in internal QA testing.
Provided it passes, we will publish this update to PTU at approximately 3pm CDT/9pm GMT.
This is a Live candidate, so we expect to leave it up for a few hours. Players with fast internet and no bandwidth caps are encouraged to help us stress test!
Assuming this all checks out, we will then be publishing 2.6.2 to Live around 7pm CDT/1am GMT.
Shortly after the publish, we will announce sales information.

Stay tuned for more information! We appreciate everyone's help in getting 2.6.2 out the door; we're almost there!

On a related note, I saw some questions about how more players would participate with the long-awaited delta patcher system. We're hard at work on this and are happy to say we're reaching some very critical milestones!

For more information on the Turbulent side of the delta patcher, check out https://youtu.be/CPJK3KozJo4?t=955.

big nipples big life
May 12, 2014

MoMA what are your top 5 video games?

Games that finished development I mean.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos

ManofManyAliases posted:

I'm not just shoes and belts. I like ties and shirts too.

Talk about those more and less about derek, there is a sub redit full of loving grade A psychos that you are sounding a bit like these days and it's just not you man, you are the guy I look to for la de da fashionista tips, not the latest rebuttal to one of Derek's verbose diatribes

Mirificus
Oct 29, 2004

Kings need not raise their voices to be heard

Quavers posted:

LogicSol being... well... LogicSol...

:allears:

They "wanted to release it then" but 2016 isn't a release date despite being in a trailer.

Thirsty Dog
May 31, 2007

ManofManyAliases posted:

On a related note, I saw some questions about how more players would participate with the long-awaited delta patcher system. We're hard at work on this and are happy to say we're reaching some very critical milestones!

code:
HELLO WORLD!

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

SelenicMartian posted:

Everything is fine. Never mind the increasing red levels in the footage.

peter gabriel
Nov 8, 2011

Hello Commandos
Can anyone do the maths on how much money in bandwidth has been wasted with the lovely patcher so far? That seems like the biggest waste of backer money that could actually be estimated and presented as a 100% Bad Thing to even the densest of backers

Raskolnikov
Nov 25, 2003

Thirsty Dog posted:

code:
HELLO WORLD!

:laffo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foo Diddley
Oct 29, 2011

cat

Thirsty Dog posted:

code:
HELLO WORLD!

code:
unresolved symbol "HELLO" in shitpost.h
Welp, guess that's another deadline missed. Can't be helped, keep on pledging tho