Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
WEH
Feb 22, 2009

My favorite parts in this movie were:

Batou having a different accent every other scene

Visible wig line on the monkey

City scenes that look straight out of the first anime opening

The decision to make the major talk and act like a robot

Jet with a propellor on the top of it like a helicopter

The complete lack of nuance or comprehension of the source material

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:

Ape Agitator
Feb 19, 2004

Soylent Green is Monkeys
College Slice

HAmbONE posted:

I said this movie was Poo right after I saw it and now I will elaborate:

1. The Major character. I don't understand the movie character. She is not an experienced operator with years of military service and training behind her. She is a run-away "punk" who for some reason is entrusted with a top-of-the line synthetic body. I could assume that evilcorp in wiping her memories uploaded a whole bunch of training software that they somehow developed while still trying to make the initial hardware swap work. I could assume that the Major shakes, gasps, shivers, shifts balance in a completely human way because she is not skilled at her using robot body. I could assume that the Major doesn't really seem to know what she is doing at all because in one year she has been given a rank she hasn't earned and is part of a team that doesn't seem to work well together. They get along well enough and the team really doesn't seem to care at all that she is the first complete cyborg human. The only time her being a cyborg really comes in to play is that she is able to take a lot of damage while blundering from situation to situation.

I think you're right on target with all of that only the reason she's chosen is that by the time they raid that little pagoda they managed to figure out the technology. 97 fatal failures and one rogue failure. She was just the 99th stolen brain they tried. She was so un special that they wiped her clean and made her American. And as a proof of concept, her memory glitches and lack of programmable teamwork suggest they'll only ever get Michael Pitt's out of their design.

Reading the above box office articles just reminded me that Lucy is the best live action anime movie that had been made so far.

Hollismason posted:

I think when critics realize the whole film can be seen as someone trying to overcome body dysmorphia then it would have been more well received.

Ooh, a deep rewrite of this to focus on that idea would have been super interesting and might have staged it for success. They'd have to sacrifice that twist to promote that in trailers but it would have been worth it. The Major could have found out her name was Hideo.

frank.club
Jan 15, 2011

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Have they come out and said Lucy was an adaptation of Elfien Lied?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Elman posted:

The robot geisha at the start did say something weird like "please don't let me die" that seemed to hint at Innocence's plot.

But the way this movie's being received, I doubt it'll happen.

They used up content from like every series of Gits, they would have to actually make a new movie this time, lol. This movie clearly dug the mine clean. They fracked Gits!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hydraulic_fracturing What kind of water did they use?

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 2, 2017

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

HAmbONE posted:

I said this movie was Poo right after I saw it and now I will elaborate:

1. The Major character. I don't understand the movie character. She is not an experienced operator with years of military service and training behind her. She is a run-away "punk" who for some reason is entrusted with a top-of-the line synthetic body. I could assume that evilcorp in wiping her memories uploaded a whole bunch of training software that they somehow developed while still trying to make the initial hardware swap work. I could assume that the Major shakes, gasps, shivers, shifts balance in a completely human way because she is not skilled at her using robot body. I could assume that the Major doesn't really seem to know what she is doing at all because in one year she has been given a rank she hasn't earned and is part of a team that doesn't seem to work well together. They get along well enough and the team really doesn't seem to care at all that she is the first complete cyborg human. The only time her being a cyborg really comes in to play is that she is able to take a lot of damage while blundering from situation to situation.

2. Re-floater: The impact of the deep diving scene was that for all their strength and agility, they are still vulnerable.

3. Stripper pole fight scene: Stripper pole fight scene.

4. Ghost in the Shell to me is a philosophical tale wrapped in a detective novel. I found this rendition hollow, like it was missing its ghost.

Rebuttal: Tank Scene - Original movie: The Americans committed serious resources to their unauthorized action on "friendly" foreign soil. The tank didn't appear out of nowhere, it was stationed at a pre-planned rendezvous site. While fully prepared to engage if necessary, this was a clandestine operation and wouldn't have had any additional support resources/personnel. The Major uses hit and run tactics until the tank audibly exhausts it's ammo magazines. This is why it uses its manipulator arm to attempt to crush the Majors skull.

Holy poo poo, these points really flew over my head when I watched this.

1. How come it takes the Major one year to learn John Woo gunplay and melee combat, yet it takes maybe less than half an hour for a little girl to learn both a lullaby AND the French language? Even though it's implied she has a brain tech implant, yet Major has a fully-functional cyborg body with even more advanced tech and algorithms inside her than the public can acquire. How come it doesn't play out like The Matrix when Neo can apparently learn every martial art in like 10 hours? And how does she get promoted to Major in the same timespan is baffling.

3. On one hand, that fight did look a bit corny when she was dodging those bullets and punches, although I'll give the script the benefit of the doubt that because she has a cyborg body, she probably has some enhancements that make her movements faster than a human and do some bullet-time dodges too, you know because Cutter wanted her to be a superweapon.

4. I'll admit it's been months since I rewatched the '95 film, but if that establishment DID happen, I'd definitely check it out to make sure. Also if the spider tank was established in the 2017 version in the geisha deep dive scene, I'd like to know if it had enough screen time to get the point across and it's not one of those 'blink and you'll miss it' moments. It also made sense in the original for the tank to start crushing her face after running out of ammo, so when the tank crushed Kuze's face in the 2017 version, did it still have ammo to kill him off anyway and was there even an indication that it ran out of ammo? Because that scene clearly lacked logic.

quote:

In third is Paramount's Ghost in the Shell, which brought in an estimated $19 million from 3,440 theaters. This is below industry expectations and well below Mojo's weekend forecast. Opening day audiences gave the film a "B" CinemaScore and of that audience 61% were male versus 39% female. While speculation as to why Ghost in the Shell under performed is sure to be a topic du jour, the opening weekend demographics provide a quick and easy indicator when compared to Scarlett Johansson's previous solo actioner Lucy, which debuted with $43.8 million and featured an opening weekend audience that was 50% female.

Lucy was also an R-rated feature compared to Ghost in the Shell's PG-13 adding to a case that could be made suggesting the action genre may not have to depend as much on the more audience-friendly PG-13 rating. Recent films such as Lucy, Deadpool; John Wick and it's sequel and Logan (just to name a few) have proven there are more than enough moviegoers ready to fill the seats for well made, R-rated genre actioners. As a matter of comparison, not only will it be interesting to track the final results for Ghost in the Shell opposite Johansson's Lucy, but as well to the upcoming release of Atomic Blonde, a hard-R actioner led by Charlize Theron that has already wowed festival audiences and the CinemaCon crowd this past week ahead of its late July release.

Wow, I didn't expect it would make a poor opening weekend, that's really got to hurt sales if it can't even make it past the $20M mark.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Apr 2, 2017

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

There's nothing to imply the hotel surveillance op is her first mission? In fact banter implies she and Section 9 have been doing this for a while. We just jump a year into her career.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

Wow, I didn't expect it would make a poor opening weekend, that's really got to hurt sales if it can't even make it past the $20M mark.

20 million is about what the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy movie did 12 years ago. If you don't remember that movie, that's currently the most notable thing about it.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Snowman_McK posted:

20 million is about what the Hitchikers Guide to the Galaxy movie did 12 years ago. If you don't remember that movie, that's currently the most notable thing about it.

Whereas Batman Begins made over $48M on its weekend, the first Chronicles of Narnia film made $65M, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and even the first Fantastic Four film both made $56M on their opening weekends respectively in the same year. Those numbers seem solid for those adaptations.

I'm not sure where you're getting at with this one.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Apr 3, 2017

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

HAmbONE posted:

Rebuttal: Tank Scene - Original movie: The Americans committed serious resources to their unauthorized action on "friendly" foreign soil. The tank didn't appear out of nowhere, it was stationed at a pre-planned rendezvous site. While fully prepared to engage if necessary, this was a clandestine operation and wouldn't have had any additional support resources/personnel. The Major uses hit and run tactics until the tank audibly exhausts it's ammo magazines. This is why it uses its manipulator arm to attempt to crush the Majors skull.

The tank appears out of nowhere, literally. There's no lead up to there being a tank, not even with dialogue. It's intended to be a total surprise to the viewer and the Major, but that doesn't change the fact that literally appears out of thin air, with no set up before hand. Given how nothing else in the movie even hints that a tank is an option or going to be present, it's better to assume that the tank is there because a tank is seen in the manga, and that's it.

In the original manga, we at least see the tank getting deployed, run out of ammo, and forced to resort to manipulator arms. In the 95 film, it appears after the Major essentially does a double take to reveal the camo'd tank. We see it run out of ammo in its primary guns, but it also uses another light machine gun as the Major was running at it. It also uses a rocket launcher exactly once to drive her out of hiding. Basically, just like the 2017 tank, it had other options, but for some reason opted to go for the slowest.

The floating museum scene is intended for drama (and another injection of philosophy as the tanks wrecks the museum murals), not a scene where the animators were interested showing people making prudent decisions. The only reason the 95 tank tries to crush her skull is because the Manga tank did the same. The only reason the armored suit in SAC tries to crush the Major's skull slowly is because it's happened in other GitS works. The only reason Kuze is treated to the slow-death treatment is because it's happened in other GitS works.

Also, the plotters were Americans and Japanese. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs were working with an American company that likely had ties to American intelligence services. This is one of the things the 95 movie loses due to its razor focus on its philosophical themes: the post WW3/4 world of GitS split up the US and also made the Japanese essentially bypass Article 9 and involve them in some very dirty affairs worldwide. The result of Japan's economic and military cooperation with the American states that resulted from the break up lead directly to initiatives like Project 2501. Even though the movie loses a lot of these details, it's still pretty obvious that Section 9 is basically up against members of the government they serve collaborating with foreign interests.

People seem to be conflating the source material to be the 95 film, which was essentially a complete tonal shift from the manga that focused heavily on a very narrow aspect of the actual original work. It's fine to like it, but don't pretend things it actually does didn't happen for the sake of your argument.

freudorbison
Sep 5, 2011
Supposedly the worldwide gross (including US) is around $59 million. At this point I'd be surprised if the box office totals didn't cover the production budget, but I highly doubt this will have much traction in the next few weeks.
And folks were trying to convince me that GitS was a household name. Do tweens even GitS?

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
They used to show it on adult swim. :shrug: at 4 am.

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.

fivegears4reverse posted:

The tank appears out of nowhere, literally.

There is like one scene when you see the major walking into Hanka Robotics where you can see one of the spider tanks on display, but they make no effort to point it out to the viewer.

Paolomania
Apr 26, 2006

You see the tank featured prominently in the Hanka lobby.

e: the exec also has a line something to the effect of "is the spider tank in position?"

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

I never had an issue with the tank being an out of the blue surprise in any adaptation. Each time it made sense that the villain's could deploy something like that if they desired.

The head crush made a little sense in GitS95 as it's established the tank ran out of ammo... if we pretend it made sense for the tank to have so little ammo.

freudorbison posted:

Supposedly the worldwide gross (including US) is around $59 million. At this point I'd be surprised if the box office totals didn't cover the production budget, but I highly doubt this will have much traction in the next few weeks.
And folks were trying to convince me that GitS was a household name. Do tweens even GitS?

Worldwide isn't close to it's full rollout, China numbers will be the ones to watch as a lot of the budget came from Shanghai.

GitS was a big hit for an anime in the 90s and early-2000s. Which is to say its a cult classic. Although it took high honors among western critics, it's never been huge outside of Asia and the western anime subculture.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

freudorbison posted:

GitS has a lot of vocal fans, but there's vocal fans for just about any anime property these days. That doesn't actually mean anything in terms of numbers. A lot of vocal GitS fans don't even like huge swaths of media in the franchise. Some focus on the 95 film, others on the TV series or Manga.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

People seem to be conflating the source material to be the 95 film, which was essentially a complete tonal shift from the manga that focused heavily on a very narrow aspect of the actual original work. It's fine to like it, but don't pretend things it actually does didn't happen for the sake of your argument.

then why is the remake taking its main influence from the '95 film (the iconic shots, the theme song, the suit, and even the title and logo is meant to look like the 95' version) and putting aside or throwing away the other influences (SAC and Arise) as easter eggs and/or minor characters, except for Kuze (who for some reason is a hybrid between himself and the puppet master) and I guess the Laughing Man wasn't even brought up...like ever.

Again, to most people they're familiar with this adaptation and not the manga, so they're taking inspiration from that which isn't even the original source material. Hell, Mamoru Oshii defended Scarlett as the lead casting choice and I haven't even read Shirow defending the remake at any point, now he's just a name who barely gets recognised.

Junior Jr. fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 3, 2017

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
There is nothing in this movie worth talk about. The script is so amateurish written and empty.

Let's talk about how Lucy got 61 million in its first week.

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Lucid Dream posted:

There is like one scene when you see the major walking into Hanka Robotics where you can see one of the spider tanks on display, but they make no effort to point it out to the viewer.

There's also a scene where the rear end in a top hat McCorporateGuy asks "Is the Spider Tank in range?" and they tell him its on its way.

I'm not saying it was the best way to set up the scene, but I am saying they do more to set up the threat than the 95 film does. Which is to say "not at all, it literally appears out thin air thanks to thermoptic camoflage, plot, and the director thinking it'd be a good dramatic cap to the chase for the puppet master." Coincidentally, its very likely the same thought that went through the heads of the production crew behind the live action film.

Bugblatter posted:

The head crush made a little sense in GitS95 as it's established the tank ran out of ammo... if we pretend it made sense for the tank to have so little ammo.

And if we pretend it didn't have any other weapons even after it demonstrates that it does have other weapons.

It's an action scene in a fictional work, they aren't always going to follow logic. I just find it kinda annoying that we have people willing to point out obvious flaws in the live action choreography when they are repeated in other works in the same franchise.

Junior Jr. posted:

then why is the remake taking its main influence from the '95 film (the iconic shots, the theme song, the suit, and even the title and logo is meant to look like the 95' version) and putting aside or throwing away the other influences (SAC and Arise) as easter eggs and/or minor characters, except for Kuze (who for some reason is a hybrid between himself and the puppet master) and I guess the Laughing Man wasn't even brought up...like ever.

Again, to most people they're familiar with this adaptation and not the manga, so they're taking inspiration from that which isn't even the original source material.

Because it is what most people in the West saw first, it makes sense to bring some iconic imagery from that to audiences that WILL include those people. But as you yourself point out, the 2017 movie borrows a lot from other GitS works. GitS has been, for a long time, more than a movie made in 95, and no adaptation has been exactly the same as the other. Both SAC and Arise even pay direct homages to the 95 film, which in itself was lifting a selection of scenes and ideas from the Manga.

fivegears4reverse fucked around with this message at 01:03 on Apr 3, 2017

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
I like how in gits95 the spider tank appears for the ending sequence but its more like an ambush and no one is supposed to know its there.

Kawasaki Nun
Jul 16, 2001

by Reene

frank.club posted:

And I'm no joke, not messing around, reading the posts of everyone who says they like it and explains why they like it to see if there was something I missed. This movie is just so shallow, and even though I agree that there a lot of visuals that look cool it doesn't matter because it's "aesthetic" without meaning behind it. It's like a vaporwave music playlist with neon tinged nostalgic images.

Agreed. This movie sucked for a variety of reasons, not the least of which was a failure to capitalize upon the world of Ghost in the Shell. Nearly none of the world building that went into the series or prior movies were present in this film, where instead we are treated to multiple wide shots of a city that provide no context or meaning.

A swing and a miss that fell far short of the IP it was to represent.

Gatts
Jan 2, 2001

Goodnight Moon

Nap Ghost
It would have been cool to have a highway chase sequence with Major protecting dude on one bike with a cloaking tank chasing the Major to the final location where we conclude with the on back of Tank finish.

I'd also have liked a scene where George Takei as Prime Minister tells the major "Target that explosion and fire!"

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

whatever7 posted:

There is nothing in this movie worth talk about. The script is so amateurish written and empty.

I can't even

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Junior Jr. posted:

Holy poo poo, these points really flew over my head when I watched this.

1. How come it takes the Major one year to learn John Woo gunplay and melee combat, yet it takes maybe less than half an hour for a little girl to learn both a lullaby AND the French language? Even though it's implied she has a brain tech implant, yet Major has a fully-functional cyborg body with even more advanced tech and algorithms inside her than the public can acquire. How come it doesn't play out like The Matrix when Neo can apparently learn every martial art in like 10 hours? And how does she get promoted to Major in the same timespan is baffling.

3. On one hand, that fight did look a bit corny when she was dodging those bullets and punches, although I'll give the script the benefit of the doubt that because she has a cyborg body, she probably has some enhancements that make her movements faster than a human and do some bullet-time dodges too, you know because Cutter wanted her to be a superweapon.

4. I'll admit it's been months since I rewatched the '95 film, but if that establishment DID happen, I'd definitely check it out to make sure. Also if the spider tank was established in the 2017 version in the geisha deep dive scene, I'd like to know if it had enough screen time to get the point across and it's not one of those 'blink and you'll miss it' moments. It also made sense in the original for the tank to start crushing her face after running out of ammo, so when the tank crushed Kuze's face in the 2017 version, did it still have ammo to kill him off anyway and was there even an indication that it ran out of ammo? Because that scene clearly lacked logic.

This is what happens with a mediocre film. You think it's okay and acceptable but you start thinking about it and it starts falling apart under scrutiny.

I was talking with a guy who apparently seen it three times. He thought it was excellent the first time, then started separating the visuals from the acting and the plot, that by the third pass, he sees what the complaints about it are.

freudorbison posted:

I've been at it for a hour before leaving the argument with the folks on a Facebook cyberpunk board about this, bandying about the $59 million figure like it's some sort of saving grace and not an albatross around the film's neck. Fuckers don't know how foreign box office works.

Speaking of which...

Bugblatter posted:

Worldwide isn't close to it's full rollout, China numbers will be the ones to watch as a lot of the budget came from Shanghai.

This is true, as well as coming out in Japan. But, it's not a guarantee like I said. We don't know the reaction to the twist will be and the subsequent word of mouth, Japan might be cool with whitewashing to a degree, but China might not. Then again, we might see some theater chain skullduggery like claiming flooded theaters had people in seats like with Warcraft.

Bugblatter posted:

I never had an issue with the tank being an out of the blue surprise in any adaptation. Each time it made sense that the villain's could deploy something like that if they desired.

Pardon the :spergin:, IIRC from the Making of GITS book, the crab tank is some sort of light recon vehicle, suited for urban combat and maybe hit-and-run attacks against real armor thanks to it's optical camo. It's armament was stated as the two .50 caliber rotary guns in the arms, a couple of 5.56mm SAW mounted on the legs for point defense, and TOW launchers. Kusanagi disables one of the arm guns by magdumping the CZN M22 and presumably one of the point defense guns with her grenades, so it runs out of ammo in it's main gun and it's other point defense is bypassed by Kusanagi on her suicide run then blow away by Batou when he shows up.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Junior Jr. posted:

Whereas Batman Begins made over $48M on its weekend, the first Chronicles of Narnia film made $65M, Charlie and the Chocolate Factory and even the first Fantastic Four film both made $56M on their opening weekends respectively in the same year. Those numbers seem solid for those adaptations.

I'm not sure where you're getting at with this one.

That its numbers are really not good, seeing as I brought up a completely forgotten film that cost a lot less to make. I'm surprised that I'm having to explain that.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Someone turned me onto this article from Deadspin. It's a postmortem of sorts. I'll quote the relevant parts... http://deadline.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-scarlett-johansson-boss-baby-beauty-and-the-beast-weekend-box-office-1202056616/

quote:

Now for the bad news. Once again we have a situation where Paramount has a very expensive picture on their hands, and it’s not opening. “When Jim Gianopulos settles in, this type of thing isn’t going to happen!” roared one rival distribution executive today. Talk about deja vu. It was only two months ago when xXx: Return of Xander Cage with a reported production cost of $85M and the social media star power of Vin Diesel made zero impact stateside with a $20.1M opening/$45M final domestic, but all the difference overseas with a $301M take. Hopefully, Ghost will have the same luck abroad where Scarlett Johansson’s Lucy sparked to $336.69M in its international run. For a look at all international and worldwide tallies, read my colleague Nancy Tartaglione’s overseas box office report.

In November, Johansson traveled to Tokyo for a massive Ghost in the Shell event where the global trailer was first dropped ultimately earning 1.2M views. So Paramount will be hoping and praying that its overseas audiences will come running.

Frankly, it’s baffling to see Ghost in the Shell going to hell domestically: The visuals rival Blade Runner and it wasn’t too long ago that we saw Johanasson opening movies (original IP no less!) on her own with Lucy ($43.9M opening, $126.7M domestic take off a $40m cost) sans the Avengers gang. Furthermore, Paramount was very passionate about this movie, and made waves during the Mr. Robot finale back in September with enigmatic glitch commercial interstitials (pieces from the film). Online it was revealed that the glitches were in fact related to an early brilliant promo for Ghost.

Currently, LAX is blitzkrieged with Ghost one-sheets and banners. There’s an even an Osculus Rift virtual experience that was produced for the film, putting users into the shoes of Johansson’s Major character whereby she swan dives from the rooftop and battles geisha robots.

But somewhere along the way, Ghost fell apart whether it was in the marketing or the film itself. Some might point to the white-washing controversy that bubbled on the internet in casting Johansson in a Japanese anime feature adaptation. But really, that type of thing doesn’t weigh heavily on average moviegoers’ minds (but it did on critic’s — the film started out with 71% on Rotten Tomatoes before critics continued to hammer away on the controversy of the casting). Despite the uber-cool, visual trailers that were cut for Ghost, rivals believe it was all eye-candy with zero substance. “You don’t know what the storyline was. Is Scarlett’s character good, or is she bad?” assessed one marketing maven who added the look of Ghost was “too Wachowski-esque.”

Some of the blame is put onto Johansson for not being more proactive toward promoting the film...

quote:

RelishMix sharply observed that the film was challenged by an overall non-social and inactive cast. Even though Johansson doesn’t shy away from PR when it comes to her movies, there’s a wasted opportunity here in regards to her absence from social. This is an actress who is a millennial pin-up girl, beloved by males and she’s not meeting that audience head-on with a Dwayne Johnson promo sensibility. The proof of her fanbase resides in the audience polls: On CinemaScore, 39% came out to Ghost because of Johansson with 61% males attending, 76% over 25. Meanwhile, Screen Engine/ComScore’s Posttrak showed 62% males buying tickets with the pic’s largest demo being guys over 25 at 42%.

Now a studio will always make-up for a star who is personally non-social by doing other social media stunts with them, but this movie (and Johansson’s career here) could have benefited from her own personal tubthumping, and igniting even more fans to attend. Six years ago, in an Interview with Arianna Huffington, Johansson dissed social media: “I can’t think of anything I’d rather do less than have to continuously share details of my everyday life. I’m always surprised that certain actors have Twitter accounts. I guess they use it in a way that works for them. But I’d rather that people had less access to my personal life.” However, social media is whatever you make it, and it’s certainly the best currency for a star and a wannabe tentpole nowadays (duh).

Another reveal here is that despite the box office-to-production cost fail here with Ghost, if a Johansson film is made for the right price ala a Resident Evil, a fanbase will show up and shell out a certain amount of cash.

Also, Paramount pulled a variation on the "no critic screening" by scheduling their press screening opposite a major film industry event that the press would be covering.

quote:

Lastly, in regards to Ghost, whenever a studio hides a movie from the press, you know something is up. Here in L.A., Paramount scheduled an all-media screening last Wednesday when the bulk of the industry’s vital press corps were covering CinemaCon. Well, there’s no such thing as a coincidence, and Paramount didn’t offer up any earlier screenings for those journalists wanting to see the film ahead of the exhibitor confab. The studio also didn’t screen the movie at CinemaCon because they were holding their exhibitor screenings ahead of time. All of this was odd given the Melrose Lot’s mojo for selling Ghost back in the fall. But then it was clear: Ghost logged a 41% Rotten Tomatoes score with high brow critics declaring “It gets bogged down in aesthetics that are stimulating only for the sake of stimulation, seemingly without a flicker of thought behind them. Shell indeed, but there’s no ghost at home” (Tribune News’ Katie Walsh).

HAmbONE
May 11, 2004

I know where the XBox is!!
Smellrose

Young Freud posted:

This is what happens with a mediocre film. You think it's okay and acceptable but you start thinking about it and it starts falling apart under scrutiny.

I was talking with a guy who apparently seen it three times. He thought it was excellent the first time, then started separating the visuals from the acting and the plot, that by the third pass, he sees what the complaints about it are.

I call this "Titanic Disorder." When something is so big it astounds but really it is a flawed shell that will sink after encountering the iceberg of multiple viewings (metaphor)

The tank appears out of nowhere, literally. There's no lead up to there being a tank, not even with dialogue. It's intended to be a total surprise to the viewer and the Major, but that doesn't change the fact that literally appears out of thin air, with no set up before hand. Given how nothing else in the movie even hints that a tank is an option or going to be present, it's better to assume that the tank is there because a tank is seen in the manga, and that's it.

In the original manga, we at least see the tank getting deployed, run out of ammo, and forced to resort to manipulator arms. In the 95 film, it appears after the Major essentially does a double take to reveal the camo'd tank. We see it run out of ammo in its primary guns, but it also uses another light machine gun as the Major was running at it. It also uses a rocket launcher exactly once to drive her out of hiding. Basically, just like the 2017 tank, it had other options, but for some reason opted to go for the slowest.

I never read the Manga, perhaps I will. What I meant is that Section 9 has no reason to know about the tank ahead of encountering it. poo poo has happened and they are scrambling to intercept and recover. The Americans have a tank deployed in case poo poo goes seriously wrong but they keep it hidden until needed because it is essentially an act of war.

The new movie tank seemed odd, as I couldn't quite figure out it's size. Nor do they explain how it is deployed to a remote location by a private company with no government approval

The tank design has not aged well but you can see progression of design into the SAC series. Both movies use a tank that seems more like a prototype than a battle tested model. I think the Patlabour series had an interesting take on spider tanks and their limitations but I haven't seen that in a long time

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Young Freud posted:

Some of the blame is put onto Johansson for not being more proactive toward promoting the film...

How can an actor have any blame here?

whatever7
Jul 26, 2001

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
The Spidertank doesn't need foreshadowing if you have the tachikomas in the movie they are basically min spidertanks.

Junior Jr.
Oct 4, 2014

by sebmojo
Buglord

Young Freud posted:

Since when was she responsible for this film not succeeding as estimated? She has personal family issues to deal with right now and for some reason that's affecting the domestic box office sales?

Pesky Splinter
Feb 16, 2011

A worried pug.
Just got back from seeing it. Overall I liked it.
The visuals are the best aspect of it, the story is simplistic and shallow, and the acting was okay.
Better than I expected it to be, but not as good as it could have potentially been.

There's clearly been edits in places (scenes from the trailer not appearing the film, the usual) - though they did fix up that flub on the Major's suit when she kicks the guy - though I doubt any of the removed or extended scenes would improve the overall narrative.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
For those who have seen 'Live Die Repeat', I recommend reading 'All you need is Kill', the series it was based on. I think you can find it on google translated for free(?). Just compare how that series was turned into American movie and how much source material they even needed to use.

It's a comic book, not like a book book.

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
It started as a book book

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Young Freud posted:

This is true, as well as coming out in Japan. But, it's not a guarantee like I said. We don't know the reaction to the twist will be and the subsequent word of mouth, Japan might be cool with whitewashing to a degree, but China might not. Then again, we might see some theater chain skullduggery like claiming flooded theaters had people in seats like with Warcraft.

I think the only indication we really have for its Asian performance right now is Korea's box office. It came in behind Beauty and the Beast and a domestic film, but not behind by much and it was in far fewer theaters than either of those (Distribution was with a single theater chain, common for non-domestic releases by anyone except Disney).

You can't really take that very far though, as Korea's BO patterns aren't really very similar to China and Japan. Might still bomb there. We'll get a better indication next weekend when it gets its Japanese release.

While people are discussing the lack of ScarJo's promotion for the film it's worth pointing out she's actually been very prominent in promotions on this side of the planet. She's traveled between a bunch of Asian countries doing a lot of promotional work on local variety and talk shows, as well as hosting fan events. She doesn't seem to have done any such appearances in the West at all though? At least not so far as google or youtube indicate.

I kind of assumed she'd been on Conan and Colbert, as she's done the equivalents over here.

Bugblatter fucked around with this message at 03:16 on Apr 3, 2017

fivegears4reverse
Apr 4, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Steve Yun posted:

It started as a book book

Not only that, The Manga for All you need is Kill is really bad on pretty much every level. All of the usual things people like to point out as "lovely" in Japanese animation or comics is on display here, right down to making Hero Protagonist and Red Hair Tsundere be little more than high-schoolers who may as well be looking for a mobile suit to steal at the start of the new season of Gundam, as opposed to soldiers in some sort of war.

The book's only issue is the translation felt kinda dry, but I honestly haven't read books translated from other languages where this isn't present to some degree.

Live Die Repeat/Edge of Tomorrow was actually a pretty entertaining take on the book, and to its benefit didn't try even slightly to ape whatever the hell the Manga was trying to be.

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender

Not only that, The Manga for All you need is Kill is really bad on pretty much every level.

I thought the manga was very pretty and cool and told a more complete story than the American movie did.

I really want to stress how little they used of the source material to make the American movie. I don't know japanese so I'll never read the book, so someone else would have to point out that they used alot more for me.

Tenzarin fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Apr 3, 2017

Dear Prudence
Sep 3, 2012

The tank appears out of nowhere, literally. There's no lead up to there being a tank, not even with dialogue. It's intended to be a total surprise to the viewer and the Major, but that doesn't change the fact that literally appears out of thin air, with no set up before hand.

No it doesn't. I mean, not really. Major tells Aramaki to put her back on the radar so Kuze could find her. He says, this means that Cutter can find you too. She says she doesn't care. Then we get a scene of Cutter being told they've found Major and she's in the Lawless Zone. There's a brief back and forth about having snipers and choppers sent in with how long that would take. And then Cutter asks "Are there Spider Tanks close by?" and the person confirms. So it's not out of nowhere. Cutter very deliberately asked about them and they were confirmed closer and could get there faster than the snipers.

Woof Blitzer
Dec 29, 2012

[-]
It was meh. At least when it's streamable it will be useful for taking stills from to use for artistic reverse-engineering. I would recommend renting it, don't spend full price for a theater ticket.

Woof Blitzer fucked around with this message at 04:12 on Apr 3, 2017

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Tenzarin posted:

I thought the manga was very pretty and cool and told a more complete story than the American movie did.

I really want to stress how little they used of the source material to make the American movie. I don't know japanese so I'll never read the book, so someone else would have to point out that they used alot more for me.

The novel got an English release years before the comic did. It's available from Amazon. Edge of Tomorrow is a very loose adaptation.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tenzarin
Jul 24, 2007
Taco Defender
Does the novel still have a scene where they make coffee? I thought that was the only place the movie and manga even connected.

• Locked thread