Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Casimir Radon posted:

Josh Trank is cool & Chronicle is a good movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Casimir Radon posted:

What's the thread consensus on Power Rangers anyway? Some of the reviews of seen say it's too moody and doesn't spend enough time being fun.
Nah. If you enjoyed the series at all as a kid, you'll most likely enjoy the 1:45 worth of Angel Grove Breakfast Club with SupahPowahs.

Remember how TMNT 90 had that big stretch in the middle where the team needs to Find Their Way (complete with bonding over a fire pit)? That's pretty much the tone 3/4 of the movie has.

The actual ranger suit parts aren't as good, and by then the movie definitely seems rushed. They fight a Putty horde and jump into the zords, but man do the zords feel pretty good (even if they look like TF concept art). Jason is written as the core of the film, but Billy by and large runs away with the film.

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Samovar posted:

Edge of Tomorrow/Live Die Repeat?

I suppose having Cruise die repeatedly was a good selling point.

That movie didn't do very well. It eventually made its money back, but it wasn't a smash hit.

Guy Mann posted:

I want live-action Cowboy Bebop to happen just to watch the people on both sides tear each other apart over however Faye Valentine winds up being portrayed.

Unless they cast Faye Valentine as Faye Valentine, they're wasting my fuckin' time.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

I predicted Ghost in the Shell wouldn't even break $20 million even though tracking had it around $35 million.

Current estimates are for $19 million. Give me a job, Hollywood. :smug:

Riot Bimbo
Dec 28, 2006

Snowman_McK posted:

As a counterpoint, is there a film that had a whitewashing controversy that did really well? Off the top of my head, every one I can think of was a flop. Last Airbender, Gods of Egypt (though that was hardly the only issue) Prince of Persia and Exodus all did really poorly.

You can say it didn't hurt it, I would argue that it sure as poo poo doesn't help.

I'm a pessimist but I think that kind of controversy may well give it a boost, just not enough of one to correct for the movie's other failings.

My personal view is that I understand hollywood whitewashing, in that I would expect no less from an industry in which so much capital is invested. When large sums of money is at stake, investors become conservative, conservative investors want recognizable names as a safety feature. Cast diversity and other things take a huge backseat to those concerns. They also see something like GITS rightly as an adapted work of fiction, and unlike a historical drama where there's real cause to color/ethnicity match, there's no reason to not to just change your characters as you see fit to maximize your profit. How many big-name Japanese actresses are there that are household names in the United States? Can they put more butts in seats than scarlett johansson? There's probably data that contradicts this kind of thinking but when you have a few millionaires and billionaires producing a majority of all the movies made, it just takes a few dumbasses making bad executive decisions with their busted logic and comic amounts of money.

The main thing to them is it's not like GITS is a mickey rooney in Breakfast At Tiffany's situation. She's just a character that changed color in the jump to the big screen. Not much else changed (although apparently the whole movie got more boring).

I also get why people want diverse casting and faithful adaptations, fiction or not. In fact, I prefer it, I just know money makes people do stupid things to protect it.

I also know that there are people who, when they see and hear white-washing controversies, start screaming about ~PoLiTiCaL CoRrEcTnEsS GoNe MaD~ and do whatever thing they think best spites the source of the outcry.

I also know that despite the fact the internet brings all these things together, you have a lot of people like me who shrug and watch movies that they find appealing, regardless of the surrounding controversy. This intuition doesn't usually lead me into a theater to watch boring things like GITS, but it did lead me to getting stoned one day and watching Cop Out with a friend, whose ticket I paid for. I paid $20 on cop out because I don't give a poo poo what nerds are mad about on the internet, so i pretty much ignored the massive poo poo the internet took on kevin smith and now I have memories of loving Cop Out that I can't seem to get rid of.

I'm not saying this kind of apathy is a blessing or a curse but I'd argue its more prevalent than people getting worked up and invested in casting controversies.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Guy Mann posted:

I want live-action Cowboy Bebop to happen just to watch the people on both sides tear each other apart over however Faye Valentine winds up being portrayed.

I wanna see the nerd campaign to cast 60 year old Nathan Fillion as Spike.

Serious question about white washing anime. A lot of people see these characters as white, probably because when they see them on Adult Swim or what not they're voiced by white people a lot of the time. Should a fight against white washing begin with voice casting actors of Asian descent?

John Wick of Dogs fucked around with this message at 12:19 on Apr 3, 2017

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Mierenneuker posted:

I think it's amazing that it struck a particular nerve with a property like Ghost in the Shell tho. A property that is all about fake bodies and appearances.

And then the movie came out and it is revealed that the character is a kidnapped Japanese girl who was turned into a Western looking cyborg and brainwashed with a Western identity as an experiment.

Like most people in the world I haven't seen GitS yet but I can already tell that Dark City Did It Better.

syscall girl
Nov 7, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

parallelodad posted:

Serious question about white washing anime. A lot of people see these characters as white, probably because when they see them on Adult Swim or what not they're voiced by white people a lot of the time. Should a fight against white washing begin with voice casting actors of Asian descent?

Keanu, dude.

And since we're talking whitewashing, he's a Pacific islander right? So that's something. Japan is an island in the Pacific. :colbert:

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Casimir Radon posted:

What's the thread consensus on Power Rangers anyway? Some of the reviews of seen say it's too moody and doesn't spend enough time being fun.
Nothing interesting really happens until the last act. Apparently they keep teasing that the kids are about to Morph and then not doing it (this is probably a budget limitation).

Supposedly Elizabeth Banks chews all of the scenery in sight

Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
Ghost in the shell was offensively boring, very pretty, a visually striking film but so utterly boring it kind of makes me mad inside.

I don't get to the cinema often but given me and the girlfriend were off on a city break we went to the movies a bunch this past week.

Beauty and the Beast was magnificent, truely a magical film to allow yourself to be entertained by. I went back and watched the cartoon (for the first time) when we got back home and the thought that the cartoon negates the need for a live action version is just madness, both are excellent.

Life was a fun movie if unsurprising, got me with a couple of jump scares, did what it said on the tin, ticked all the boxes for a nights entertainment but felt ultimately unremarkable.

GitS just bored me, my girlfriend, the audience, the projectionist, the hot dog stand guy and everyone in a 3 mile radius. I was stoned out my face and it bored me. I checked my watch 5 times throughout, i may have nodded off once or twice. At one point i remember checking my phone to see when my next dentist appointment was. gently caress me, what a snorefest.

Shoombo
Jan 1, 2013

syscall girl posted:

Keanu, dude.

And since we're talking whitewashing, he's a Pacific islander right? So that's something. Japan is an island in the Pacific. :colbert:

Cowboy Bebop would be a good pick just because it's cast isn't completely Japanese. Hell, I don't know if any of them are. You could cast whoever you wanted and it wouldn't be whitewashing.

Keanu would still make the best Spike though.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Shoombo posted:

Cowboy Bebop would be a good pick just because it's cast isn't completely Japanese. Hell, I don't know if any of them are. You could cast whoever you wanted and it wouldn't be whitewashing.

Keanu would still make the best Spike though.

The only problematic one would be Faye, since a big part of her background is that she was born in Singapore.

Supposedly, Spike was based off actor Yusaku Matsuda, who would only known in the West as Sato from Black Rain but was quite famous in Japan for several detective show roles.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's the thing, you look at these characters and see "white people" but that's not necessarily the case, the intent, or the way the original audience saw it.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Live action GI Joe films are being rebooted to make a new live-action series with "a more millennial approach". GI Bernie Bro?

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-hasbro-ambitions-20170321-story.html

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

parallelodad posted:

That's the thing, you look at these characters and see "white people" but that's not necessarily the case, the intent, or the way the original audience saw it.

The main characters are named "Spike Spiegel" and "Faye Valentine". Sounds white as gently caress to me.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

syscall girl posted:

Keanu, dude.

He's part Chinese and part indegenous Native Hawaian and was born in Lebanon.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

That's just the English dub. Their original names were Supaiku Supeiguru and Kimiko ChiChiFeathers.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004

Macarius Wrench posted:

GitS just bored me, my girlfriend, the audience, the projectionist, the hot dog stand guy and everyone in a 3 mile radius. I was stoned out my face and it bored me. I checked my watch 5 times throughout, i may have nodded off once or twice. At one point i remember checking my phone to see when my next dentist appointment was. gently caress me, what a snorefest.

drat. After the reviews my plan was to get stoned out of my face to enjoy it.

well why not
Feb 10, 2009

Chairman Capone posted:

Live action GI Joe films are being rebooted to make a new live-action series with "a more millennial approach". GI Bernie Bro?

http://www.latimes.com/business/hollywood/la-fi-ct-hasbro-ambitions-20170321-story.html

I hope Duke is basically Dave Franco in 21 Jump Street.

parallelodad posted:

People project their race onto anything that looks 'close enough' and it's a pretty low bar.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Chairman Capone posted:

They want to make to make a movie where GI Joe and Cobra coexists with transforming robots, microscopic warriors, and space knights.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

The MSJ posted:

They want to make to make a movie where GI Joe and Cobra coexists with transforming robots, microscopic warriors, and space knights.

Hasbro are super super desperate to turn all their IPs into movies, I guess all their success with Transformers got them addicted. They made a deal with Universal back into 2008 to develop Battleship, Candy Land, Clue, Magic: The Gathering, Monopoly, Ouija, and Stretch Armstrong into movies and they actually got Battleship and Ouija onto screens but Universal decided to back out of the deal on the rest even though the contract they signed said they had to pay out millions if they didn't develop those other films. They've also tried to develop films around Tonka trucks, Play-Doh, Beyblade, Furby and Hungry Hungry Hippos with various studios.

Their deal with Paramount is to create a cinematic universe combining G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. and Rom Space Knight. They're also developing a Magic: The Gathering movie with 20th Century Fox and after reaching a settlement in a bitter legal dispute which lasted several years they're co-producing a Dungeons and Dragons movie with WB and Sweetpea Entertainment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Hasbro_properties

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

parallelodad posted:

Iirc from my time as a preteen on the Adult Swim boards they don't want anything from Japan dubbed ever. The original audio has more enthusiasm and is better (despite them not understanding a single word) and it's a travesty when the glorious original audio is replaced with unenthusiastic horrible dubs.

got any sevens
Feb 9, 2013

by Cyrano4747

Len posted:

Iirc from my time as a preteen on the Adult Swim boards they don't want anything from Japan dubbed ever. The original audio has more enthusiasm and is better (despite them not understanding a single word) and it's a travesty when the glorious original audio is replaced with unenthusiastic horrible dubs.

Generally that is the case, cowboy bebop was one of the good ones.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

Yeah none of the people in the anime club in college would tolerate my argument that anime was largely a visual medium and that by focusing on the bottom fifth of the screen to read the dialogue you're actually doing it a disservice unless the translation dub is particularly egregious and makes major changes.

Cool Dad
Jun 15, 2007

It is always Friday night, motherfuckers

Although it seems like a good idea, making the GI Joe movies military action films was a mistake. It was also a mistake to center it around one guy, and also to make the movies lovely in general.

The GI Joe cartoon was a colorful ensemble action show. They should be thinking Avengers rather than Expendables.

Enos Cabell
Nov 3, 2004

Guy Mann posted:

What the gently caress is this movie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd60i3ZnLOE

Seriously, watch the whole trailer. Every 30 seconds feel like they're from a completely different film.

This got lost in cartoon chat, but seriously, wtf?? I thought maybe it was going to pivot into comedy when Bobby Moynihan and Sarah Silverman showed up, but no it went crazy in a completely different direction.

Grendels Dad
Mar 5, 2011

Popular culture has passed you by.

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Hasbro are super super desperate to turn all their IPs into movies, I guess all their success with Transformers got them addicted. They made a deal with Universal back into 2008 to develop Battleship, Candy Land, Clue, Magic: The Gathering, Monopoly, Ouija, and Stretch Armstrong into movies and they actually got Battleship and Ouija onto screens but Universal decided to back out of the deal on the rest even though the contract they signed said they had to pay out millions if they didn't develop those other films. They've also tried to develop films around Tonka trucks, Play-Doh, Beyblade, Furby and Hungry Hungry Hippos with various studios.

Their deal with Paramount is to create a cinematic universe combining G.I. Joe, Micronauts, Visionaries, M.A.S.K. and Rom Space Knight. They're also developing a Magic: The Gathering movie with 20th Century Fox and after reaching a settlement in a bitter legal dispute which lasted several years they're co-producing a Dungeons and Dragons movie with WB and Sweetpea Entertainment.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_films_based_on_Hasbro_properties

So many cinematic universes. Quick, somebody lend me money so I can license the Astrid Lindgren cinematic universe wherein Pippi Longstocking, Ronja the Robber's Daughter and Karlsson-on-the-Roof team up to take back Bullerby from the Robber Hotzenplotz. I know technically Robber Hotzenplotz is not from that universe, it's a crossover thing.

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

Enola Gay-For-Pay posted:

Although it seems like a good idea, making the GI Joe movies military action films was a mistake. It was also a mistake to center it around one guy, and also to make the movies lovely in general.

The GI Joe cartoon was a colorful ensemble action show. They should be thinking Avengers rather than Expendables.

They should be thinking Fast & Furious. Hell, the last F&F and the new one are half GI Joe anyway. Cars and parachutes, War Bus, Battle Van, drones, the harpoon guns everywhere, and look at this thing:

Samuel Clemens
Oct 4, 2013

I think we should call the Avengers.

parallelodad posted:

Yeah none of the people in the anime club in college would tolerate my argument that anime was largely a visual medium and that by focusing on the bottom fifth of the screen to read the dialogue you're actually doing it a disservice unless the translation dub is particularly egregious and makes major changes.

Dub vs. sub is not a discussion you want to bring up in CineD. People have been killed for less.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

What if I told you I feel the same about... Live action!?

Schwarzwald
Jul 27, 2004

Don't Blink

PJOmega posted:

It's difficult to discuss white washing because each individual example can be explained or justified. The issue is when looked at as a whole you can see that there is a glut of roles that could have been played by an actor of non-european decent but mysteriously they aren't.

I like ScarJo. I think she did very well in Lucy, which feels like it shares parallels with GitS. I understand simultaneously that taking a Japanese franchise and casting a white actor is a problematic trend.

These two angles exist in parallel. It is difficult for a movement that is mostly communicated in blogs to separate individual examples from a greater trend. This is exacerbated because each blog that does comment on it tries to me more outraged than the last for sweet sweet page count.

The problem I have with this issue is that all roles are "roles that could have been played by an actor of non-european decent." The movement doesn't seem to be pushing for more minority roles in big budget films so much as it seems to be pushing for minority roles in very specific films.

The movement takes it as a given that certain roles are meant for whites and certain roles are meant for asians/blacks and that the problem is that white actors are moving in on minority parts. Which is to say, if white actors would just be kind enough not to encroach, then there wouldn't be any need to address the fact that white actors and white parts tremendously outnumber and outpay minority actors and parts.

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

parallelodad posted:

Ted Rall posted:

Ebert wasn't that smart. I once spent hours with him discussing "Citizen Kane". He disagreed when I said it was boring, that "Kane" is unwatchable now. But he couldn't articulate why I was wrong. He kept pointing to the film's historical importance, which I didn't dispute.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

The Hasbro comics united the universes a little while ago, the bigger problem is it is harder to care about the less popular properties but now that everything is connected if I'm not paying attention suddenly ROM is fighting Transformers for some reason I got to read back issues to figure out. I'm glad Lost Light is largely separate from the rest of them just because everyone is so far away from Earth.

Prediction: Cobra is an app in the new movie, then entire gig economy turns out to be a Cobra scheme but it's written in such a way to vilify all the people doing the gigs and not the companies exploiting people.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They should just rip off the plots of the metal gear solid games and rebrand them as GI Joe.

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
In de bioscoop

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

parallelodad posted:

They should just rip off the plots of the metal gear solid games and rebrand them as GI Joe.

They already did for Captain America: The Winter Soldier!

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

PJOmega posted:

It's difficult to discuss white washing because each individual example can be explained or justified. The issue is when looked at as a whole you can see that there is a glut of roles that could have been played by an actor of non-european decent but mysteriously they aren't.

No, it's actually easy to discuss. It's just as you say: that complaining about individual casting choices is utterly pointless because the individual casting choices aren't the actual problem. It's a bad tactic.

Note the hypocrisy: Power Rangers is an extremely whitewashed Super Sentai, but there's not a peep from pseudoprogressives. They apparently forgot? Or don't care? Outrage fatigue?

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Apr 3, 2017

21 Muns
Dec 10, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

No, it's actually easy to discuss. It's just as you say: that complaining about individual casting choices is utterly pointless because the individual casting choices aren't the actual problem. It's a bad tactic.

Note the hypocrisy: Power Rangers is an extremely whitewashed Super Sentai, but there's not a peep from pseudoprogressives. They apparently forgot? Or don't care? Outrage fatigue?

I think this is because people have already gotten an emotional/nostalgic attachment to Whitewashed Super Sentai, but no one's attached to Whitewashed Ghost Lady. So the goal of focusing on that would be to prevent the attachment from ever forming in the first place.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

21 Muns posted:

Ted Rall poop
I just saw Citizen Kane 2 months ago (on a VHS no less) and the drat thing was captivating as all hell. I don't see how anyone could watch it and not be enraptured by it, even if you put aside all the technical and historic value of the work.

Len posted:

It's kind of true, because the language barrier will mask bad VA work.

Though, to be fair, the concept of professional (or half competent) voice acting is a relatively new addition to the anime market in the U.S. Aside from a few exceptions (the Streamline Akira dub you probably grew up with had the guy that did Leonardo from TMNT as Kaneda), VA work on anime tapes was basically a grab bag of amateurs or hobbyists or guys they pulled an hour before running tape.

Fist of the North Star, for example, has a pretty meh dub. But that kind of works for how ridiculous that show is.

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

Power Rangers is an adaptation of SuperSentai. Saban never sought a direct translation of the source material.

And while the content and conception is undoubtedly Western, it's done a really good job maintaining the diversity of its cast from season to season.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 16:33 on Apr 3, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Lobok posted:

They should be thinking Fast & Furious. Hell, the last F&F and the new one are half GI Joe anyway. Cars and parachutes, War Bus, Battle Van, drones, the harpoon guns everywhere, and look at this thing:

Yeah I was going to say, Fast and the Furious is already MASK in everything but name. A new GI Joe movie is going to have to step up. The first one, I honestly barely remember it but I do remember they had some fun stuff going on with the super suits or whatever that basically made them Far Cry characters, but then they totally forgot those existed for the second one? Maybe if they use those again or something.

They need to finally reenact the entire Cold Slither episode live though. "Millennial" GI Joe and the gig economy isn't that far of a stretch from the cartoon.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osZ52A-_kpQ

EDIT:

AAAHHAHAHA someone beat them to it this owns:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bxjscK_W6ps

Neo Rasa fucked around with this message at 16:39 on Apr 3, 2017

• Locked thread