Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

Joementum posted:

Reminds me of my favorite story from last year.

https://twitter.com/io9/status/707628045486702593

Nothing like some raw milk with a dash of bovine tuberculosis to strength your bones, and your immune system!

Fact: Ed balls in immune to all strains of Tuberculosis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

The GOP has transcended shame.

If a foreigner quoted these at me, I'd hang my head and walk away silently.

Vladimir Putin
Mar 17, 2007

by R. Guyovich

Shalebridge Cradle posted:

Did you ever hear the joke that if the US wanted to bankrupt the Soviets we could just give them an aircraft carrier.

We have 10.

I don't think that it's controversial to say that during the Cold War the US had the USSR beat for consumer goods. The US sustained that and was able to output defense spending to match the USSR. On the other hand the USSR totally mismanaged the command economy and pushed production to state demands which included defense aspects while their consumer economy suffered.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

mrbradlymrmartin posted:

edward

michael

balls

mp

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

I did a thing posted:

I'll need to check each of those out.

The Exxon book sounds more appealing right now. Like seriously, Rex has some PMCs working for him? I really wish our government would ban PMCs entirely. Though some days, I wouldn't mind working for one. Making six-figures, tax free, to guard a supply route for a year? Sign me up.

I don't remember if he actually had any PMCs but Exxon absolutely bought out governments top to bottom and made sure their troops had the necessary equipment to protect their interests.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

brugroffil posted:

your posting will be bad forever lmao

its good to post bad tho???

Pittsburgh Fentanyl Cloud
Apr 7, 2003

Joementum posted:

Weiner's book "Enemies" goes into how the FBI hosed up the 9/11 intelligence by ignoring a field agent who had one of the hijacker's laptop's in her possession for months. Also a lot of fun stuff about the Hoover era, like when he invited Nixon over for dinner and they ate steak in a room with lava lamps and beads because J. Edgar want to understand the yout's.

Coll, mentioned above, also wrote the definitive book on Exxon, which is a good read for people who want to know more about Rex Tillerson's actual record than the time he got an award in Russia. Like the stuff about how he runs private armies and wants to build a pipeline through Turkey to compete against the Russian oil interests.

Hehe, weiner

Coolguye
Jul 6, 2011

Required by his programming!

Jose posted:

is it possible for so many people to get caught being russian plants spicer ends up president?

the press secretary is not on the presidential line of succession so no

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

eonwe posted:

lol trump is like the old people in the small town I grew up in who sit in Dairy Queen for breakfast while smoking and having them turn on fox news

That reminds me. I understand why tiny towns have those gas stations where you have a tiny diner area where you can eat your gas station sandwiches, but I will never understand why people do that in major metropolitan areas. Get your sandwich and go somewhere else, you can do that, you don't have to sit in the gas station and reading magazines like a fat weirdo

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 380 days!

Serf posted:

let us not forget the 70 year old lady who said that trump wants to cut the program that is keeping her alive, but she would vote for him again in 2020 because he's deporting illegals

nothing matters

:stare: drat dude, hatred of the nebulous "other" is more important than "staying alive"

pretty 'f'd' up if you think about it!!

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

Coolguye posted:

SYNDROMES ARE EVERYWHERE

Apr 7, 2003

Serf posted:

let us not forget the 70 year old lady who said that trump wants to cut the program that is keeping her alive, but she would vote for him again in 2020 because he's deporting illegals

nothing matters

I sincerely hope she dies soon, it's what she wants.

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

I did a thing posted:

The Exxon book sounds more appealing right now. Like seriously, Rex has some PMCs working for him? I really wish our government would ban PMCs entirely. Though some days, I wouldn't mind working for one. Making six-figures, tax free, to guard a supply route for a year? Sign me up.

So I guess you really want to shoot Nigerians?

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

I did a thing posted:

Less PMCs, more "give a ton of guns to local thugs". Check out their operations in Chad where they depopulated villages to build the pipeline, then reneged on paying royalties to the government.

I guess there wasn't time to ask about that at the confirmation hearing.

XK
Jul 9, 2001

Star Citizen is everywhere. It is all around us. Even now, in this very room. You can see it's fidelity when you look out your window or when you watch youtube

Coolguye posted:

the press secretary is not on the presidential line of succession so no

All of us are on it somewhere.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

That reminds me. I understand why tiny towns have those gas stations where you have a tiny diner area where you can eat your gas station sandwiches, but I will never understand why people do that in major metropolitan areas. Get your sandwich and go somewhere else, you can do that, you don't have to sit in the gas station and reading magazines like a fat weirdo

i used to work at the gas station in my tiny town. it was awful.

Serf
May 5, 2011

tenderjerk posted:

:stare: drat dude, hatred of the nebulous "other" is more important than "staying alive"

i contend that this would be incredibly useful if only we could get people to hate the true "other" the rich

but racism is a hell of a drug

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

eonwe posted:

:eonpop:

byob historian
Nov 5, 2008

I'm an animal abusing piece of shit! I deliberately poisoned my dog to death and think it's funny! I'm an irredeemable sack of human shit!

mp
oo
sw
te
 r
 f
 u
 l

Squizzle
Apr 24, 2008

Citizen Tayne posted:

As we discuss this I'm watching a controversy unfold on Facebook in my home town. People were selling uninspected homemade sausage without a permit and someone got sick so the Feds came to destroy any remaining stock and fine the makers. The FB group is now in a tizzy about "government overreach" because god forbid your food not make you sick.

im the uninspected homemade sausage w/o a permit

Apr 7, 2003

eonwe posted:

I stopped at a gas station restroom in Indiana and the room had a urinal but no toilet. Where am i supposed to poop

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

tenderjerk posted:

NPR had a story last week talking to people in Strong, Kansas who had relied on federal government grants to build their $6M water treatment plant for their town of less than 500, but they were okay with that program and all of the others that directly help their town being cut if it meant more money to keep out "illegals"

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

eonwe posted:

Did you figure out why people do it?

HUGE PUBES A PLUS
Apr 30, 2005

XK posted:

All of us are on it somewhere.

Nah, ends with the Department of Homeland Security, last cabinet post.

brugroffil
Nov 30, 2015

Citizen Tayne posted:

I stopped at a gas station restroom in Indiana and the room had a urinal but no toilet. Where am i supposed to poop

you know the answer to this

Shalebridge Cradle
Apr 23, 2008

Vladimir Putin posted:

I don't think that it's controversial to say that during the Cold War the US had the USSR beat for consumer goods. The US sustained that and was able to output defense spending to match the USSR. On the other hand the USSR totally mismanaged the command economy and pushed production to state demands which included defense aspects while their consumer economy suffered.

Ok that I can agree with. I am not going to defend the USSR wrt consumer goods because seriously lol.

But the idea that they are somehow uniquely stupid when it comes to defense spending is just laughable on its face.

The Nastier Nate
May 22, 2005

All aboard the corona bus!

HONK! HONK!

Yams Fan

mannerup posted:

pentagon released a statement confirming it, her follow up tweet was this

https://twitter.com/FranTownsend/status/848880655681409025

My favroite Trump presidency sub-plot is Trump's favorite son and all around spoiled rich brat, Jared Kushner, keeps getting assigned more and more ridiculous tasks and I imagine him comically running, googling poo poo like "how do i solve the middle east"
So far, he's working on:

-mediated disputes between white house staffers
-trying to take care of that whole "peace in Israel" thing
-opiod epidemic
-trying to run the entire government more effectively
-taking over for the state department.

On top of doing all that he went skiing with his family one weekend while healthcare fell apart, and Trump was still pissed at him.

punchymcpunch
Oct 14, 2012

eonwe posted:

ya

Squizzle posted:

im the uninspected homemade sausage w/o a permit

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

"intelligence briefing" on the daily agenda is literally trump just watching fox and friends lmfao. jotting that euphemism down next to "meetings" for 18 holes of golf.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

im thankful that thats not a real emote lmao

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
*seinfelds into thread*

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Citizen Tayne posted:

Middle of nowhere bathrooms are basically single use, so just go nextdoor to the women's room, not like toilets aren't universal

mormonpartyboat
Jan 14, 2015

by Reene

Harry Potter on Ice
Nov 4, 2006

IF IM NOT BITCHING ABOUT HOW SHITTY MY LIFE IS, REPORT ME FOR MY ACCOUNT HAS BEEN HIJACKED

eonwe posted:

Just let me eat my sandwich here in peace man

Schnorkles
Apr 30, 2015

It's a little bit juvenile, but it's simple and it's timeless.

We let it be known that Schnorkles, for a snack, eats tiny pieces of shit.

You're picturing it and you're talking about it. That's a win in my book.
i think all the "what if.. trump good??" think pieces rn are really premature because its been like 3 months and his base is already starting to fracture because he's not bringing jobs back and betraying them and being granpa ranty on twitter.

give it awhile.

eonwe
Aug 11, 2008

Lipstick Apathy

Iron Crowned posted:

Did you figure out why people do it?

well, i was born there and i got the hell out as soon as i could. it took a lot of student loan debt tho.

growing up there is why I'm sympathetic toward rural whites. Generally speaking there is a lot of fear about providing for your family and not having a job. its no excuse for voting for a racist pissbaby, but I do understand the fear. a lot of people in the town I grew up in legitimately thought he was going to reopen the broom factory or ladder factory or whatever the gently caress it was before it became rusted out sheet metal

Apr 7, 2003

Iron Crowned posted:

Middle of nowhere bathrooms are basically single use, so just go nextdoor to the women's room, not like toilets aren't universal

Sounds illegal

SpaceGoku
Jul 19, 2011

this dude has not grown into his haircut very well

I did a thing
Mar 23, 2017

On the chest of a barmaid in Sale, were tattooed the prices of ale. And on her behind for the sake of the blind, was the same information in braille.

mannerup posted:

pentagon released a statement confirming it, her follow up tweet was this

https://twitter.com/FranTownsend/status/848880655681409025

I'm sure he is safe. And hundreds of miles away from any actual fighting. Probably enjoying some Pizza Hut in the former Green Zone. Then again, if Mookie catches him, I wouldn't really care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tenderjerk
Nov 6, 2008
Probation
Can't post for 380 days!

ArmZ posted:

"intelligence briefing" on the daily agenda is literally trump just watching fox and friends lmfao. jotting that euphemism down next to "meetings" for 18 holes of golf.

not to give credit to fox here, but they do have more programs that are more 'hard news' (with their slants, of course) throughout their daytime hours. Fox & Friends is like remedial Fox News. Or babby's first Fox News.

• Locked thread