Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dan Didio posted:

Good to know. I'm trying to be wary of all time limitations, because I know that's a big thing in these games, and I've just spent a bunch of time in there, only in the first day it was open, and no one seems to think I've got particularly far when I consult with them.

You're halfway through the dungeon when you get to a courtyard full of stealh mechanics and shadows that aggro hard

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.

Heath posted:

If it's anything like the other ones, time limits are not a huge deal on your first play unless you're really bad at the game. Like, exceptionally so.

This is not comforting, as I am a stupid, stupid man.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heath posted:

Aside from the slick UI and the nice cutscenes, this one isn't grabbing me the way 3 and 4 did, but that's mostly due to all but one of the characters refusing to express any emotion besides "angry" or "terminally depressed" and the writing being atrocious.

Having seen part of the English version I genuinely have no idea how you can say 'the writing is atrocious" but like P3 and P4 unless you have rose tinted nostalgia glasses for P3/P4's writing so heavy they are breaking your neck or are massively misremembering the opening of those games. (P3 in particular.)

enojy
Sep 11, 2001

bass rattle
stars out
the sky

Endorph posted:

teenagers being nothing but angry and depressed is way better and more relatable writing than p3/p4, tbh

This sounds absolutely awful. I hope this isn't all the game is.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

enojy posted:

It isn't. It's a game about how a lot of people in the world are genuinely lovely but counters that with people becoming better too. The opening is pretty heavy on 'wow, there are a lot of assholes" because the plot of the game is about your protagonist team working to stop assholes.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

enojy posted:

Wait hold on, you won't read my OP? But you'll loving read some dude's 2 hour impressions? I'm genuinely hurt.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Is it normal for high school coaches to talk about dating high schoolers in Japan.

... People seem to be treating this really lightly.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ImpAtom posted:

Having seen part of the English version I genuinely have no idea how you can say 'the writing is atrocious" but like P3 and P4 unless you have rose tinted nostalgia glasses for P3/P4's writing so heavy they are breaking your neck or are massively misremembering the opening of those games. (P3 in particular.)

I think I had much lower expectations for 3 (I haven't played it in a good 8 or 9 years so maybe I am remembering it more favorably) but 4 was a pretty well-localized game. This one feels very "translated" and not "localized," which is to say the translations feel very literal. 4 had weird phrases like "Every day's great at your Junes" and poo poo like that but that wasn't the majority of the dialog like it is here.

edit: Like I said earlier, I am fully expecting this to change as I get further in. The opening of the game has been extremely abrupt in every sense of the word compared to the agonizingly slow burn openings of the last two games (well, the last four, really) so maybe that's what's throwing me off.

I don't hate it or anything, I think I just want to get to the part where everybody doesn't hate me.

Heath fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Apr 4, 2017

OnimaruXLR
Sep 15, 2007
Lurklurklurklurklurk
I fail how to see how Persona 5's "gently caress the police" attitude is any more broodier than Persona 3's literal "we all gon' to die" attitude

I mean granted, it takes longer for the latter to set in, so you get a few chapters of Junpei and Takeba being "Generic High School Boy" and "Generic High School Girl" before poo poo starts to jump off, but still.

It's definitely a shift from Persona 4's "Scooby Doo except the crimes are real, and supernatural" tone though.

Zore posted:

Is it normal for high school coaches to talk about dating high schoolers in Japan.

You ain't seen nothing yet

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

of course it isn't.

they're treating it lightly because they're either in on it or have been beaten down by his abuse/don't want to become a target.

enojy posted:

sorry, this game only has one emotional tone. *glancing at anime intro of people dancing happily*

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

You're halfway through the dungeon when you get to a courtyard full of stealh mechanics and shadows that aggro hard

Right after I read this, I found the second map, so cool.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Zore posted:

Hahahahahahahah oh man, I'm getting my popcorn

I've been waiting 7 months for this poo poo

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Endorph posted:

of course it isn't.

they're treating it lightly because they're either in on it or have been beaten down by his abuse/don't want to become a target.

I kinda get that but its a main topic of gossip and you literally see him come up in grab her in the hallway in front of bunches of witnesses.

Like... goddamn that dude is loving bold. and gross.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Zore posted:

No, you're supposed to think it's weird and a sign that the school is kind of screwed up.

Heath posted:

I think I had much lower expectations for 3 (I haven't played it in a good 8 or 9 years so maybe I am remembering it more favorably) but 4 was a pretty well-localized game. This one feels very "translated" and not "localized," which is to say the translations feel very literal. 4 had weird phrases like "Every day's great at your Junes" and poo poo like that but that wasn't the majority of the dialog like it is here.

Having played the Japanese version and seen up to Ryuji's Persona in the English version I have no idea where the hell you're getting that. This game is localized as much as Persona 4 and (for good or ill) has the same basic quirks it has.

(That said what I've seen seems largely fine. It has some weird lines but they're either stuff that is supposed to sound weird like some of Morgana's lines or some poo poo that is just hard to localize. The dub's awkward-rear end pronunciation of names stands out a lot more that any of the actual dialogue. )

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 07:41 on Apr 4, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Zore posted:

I kinda get that but its a main topic of gossip and you literally see him come up in grab her in the hallway in front of bunches of witnesses.

Like... goddamn that dude is loving bold. and gross.
It's ripped from the headlines in Japan and from my understanding of those cases the atmospheres in those schools were pretty similar. Not quite as dramatic but very much 'the dude could do whatever he felt like.'

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dan Didio posted:

Right after I read this, I found the second map, so cool.

You're pretty close but don't hesitate to duck out if you feel like you don't have the SP or Ammo to tackle it, it's rough trying to burn through without consistent resources on first playthrough.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me

Captain Baal posted:

Hahahahahahahah oh man, I'm getting my popcorn

I've been waiting 7 months for this poo poo

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Zore posted:

Unlikely to be normal but I remember in my secondary school there were always rumours about a couple of teachers who maybe liked the girl students a bit too much. One also disappeared never to be seen again and his wife who worked there too had a sudden surname change. He was a PE teacher too.

ntan1
Apr 29, 2009

sempai noticed me
Also holy poo poo Im trying to watch twitch streams of this game but they're all unbearable because it's just some nerd reading off all of the text in the game and it's pretty obnoxious.

And wow Morghana's English voice is really... bland.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ImpAtom posted:

No, you're supposed to think it's weird and a sign that the school is kind of screwed up.

Having played the Japanese version and seen up to Ryuji's Persona in the English version I have no idea where the hell you're getting that. This game is localized as much as Persona 4 and (for good or ill) has the same basic quirks it has.

You're taking my subjective video game opinions awfully personally, my du--

Oh wait, I'm in an anime game thread

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Heath posted:

You're taking my subjective video game opinions awfully personally, my du--

Oh wait, I'm in an anime game thread

Your subjective opinion of a game being translated overly-literally?

Yes, you are. You also like Persona 3 and 4 and rushed into the Persona 5 threat to complain about its translation, so it's a bit late to pull the anime card.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

ntan1 posted:

Also holy poo poo Im trying to watch twitch streams of this game but they're all unbearable because it's just some nerd reading off all of the text in the game and it's pretty obnoxious.

And wow Morghana's English voice is really... bland.

Don't worry bb when my copy comes in I'll play it and read the text with my smooth voice

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I like all the voices so far.

Captain Baal posted:

You're pretty close but don't hesitate to duck out if you feel like you don't have the SP or Ammo to tackle it, it's rough trying to burn through without consistent resources on first playthrough.

Yeah, I was running low on ammo and wanted to avoid any possible ambushes by Incubus' so I jetted out. Is your 'main' persona treated the same as all others for execution purposes?

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Don't worry bb when my copy comes in I'll play it and read the text with my smooth voice
do your best impressions of the VAs you wish were cast in the dub

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Endorph posted:

do your best impressions of the VAs you wish were cast in the dub

My DC Douglas impression is p good imo

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Dan Didio posted:

I like all the voices so far.

Yeah, I was running low on ammo and wanted to avoid any possible ambushes by Incubus' so I jetted out. Is your 'main' persona treated the same as all others for execution purposes?

Arsene acts the same as every other persona wrt the Velvet room nothing too weird about him other than he is a red bird man with a top hat and mean face

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Endorph posted:

It's ripped from the headlines in Japan and from my understanding of those cases the atmospheres in those schools were pretty similar. Not quite as dramatic but very much 'the dude could do whatever he felt like.'

I think I would want to read about this, or at least about any kind of contextual stuff that a Japanese player would just be assumed to know going in?

And I mean very basic stuff, like with 4 I was fascinated by the whole buying a kotatsu scene. Also I don't know if a group date cafe was supposed to be a weird thing and that's why no one went

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ImpAtom posted:

Your subjective opinion of a game being translated overly-literally?

Yes, you are. You also like Persona 3 and 4 and rushed into the Persona 5 threat to complain about its translation, so it's a bit late to pull the anime card.

I've had the game for two hours and I'm just talking about my impressions in a thread for discussing the game. Go ahead and post your thesis on why I'm wrong and I'll read it in the morning.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
I love Ryugi. He is now my favorite early dude BFF in a Persona game

"Does that mean you have a phone????"

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Ryuji is indeed the best boy

Until you get to Goro

Then Ryuji is former best boy

Alteisen
Jun 4, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm surprised it only 3 hours for this thread to turn to poo poo.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Is there anything to stop someone from streaming a game using accessory hardware? I don't know anything about streaming, but a friend of mine wanted to see it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Heath posted:

Is there anything to stop someone from streaming a game using accessory hardware? I don't know anything about streaming, but a friend of mine wanted to see it.

No. You just can't stream through the PS4's built in stuff.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

There are a bunch of people who are using capture cards to stream right now!

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heath posted:

You can stream from a capture card just fine. Idk if Atlus is policing streams because I heard they were doing back when it come out in JP, but some dude streamed the whole game in like four days on twitch so that's obviously not the case.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

I think I would want to read about this, or at least about any kind of contextual stuff that a Japanese player would just be assumed to know going in?

And I mean very basic stuff, like with 4 I was fascinated by the whole buying a kotatsu scene. Also I don't know if a group date cafe was supposed to be a weird thing and that's why no one went

japan's liberal democratic party has been in power since 1955, minus a couple of brief two-year stints. despite the name, they're pretty right wing - not extremists, just kinda close-minded and lovely. anti-gay marriage, hate koreans, etc. Imagine a middle of the road republican in his 60s and you've basically got the idea. So there's a lot of political and cultural ennui. The game is coached in that pretty heavily.

As for group date cafes, mixers aren't that uncommon - Japanese school life doesn't have a ton of room for flirting, especially if you to a top of the line school, so finding some time to make connections and maybe meet a cute guy/girl can be a nice break. It's a little less culturally relevant these days, when students are less rigid about not spending that much time with the opposite gender in school, but they were pretty big in the 90s. Shinzo Abe was prime minister in 2006 and again in 2012, then again in 2014, through to today, so there's definitely a feeling that in the past decade, not much has changed.

As for the sexual abuse in schools stuff, there's one specific case of a foreign teacher doing it that got a lot of play in 2014, which'd seem like a good time frame to be an inspiration for the first arc of this game.

Endorph fucked around with this message at 08:05 on Apr 4, 2017

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
Morgana is adorable. :3: And Ryuji is great, in the proud Kanji tradition.

Jesus Christ

Heath fucked around with this message at 08:04 on Apr 4, 2017

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

iunno why my edit of shinzo abe information got put after the mixer stuff but im glad it did because that's pretty funny

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Shinzo Abe is a piece of poo poo and there is a direct copy of him in this game pretty much

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

Shinzo Abe is a piece of poo poo and there is a direct copy of him in this game pretty much
imagine if donald trump got sick and didn't run in 2020, mike pence served two terms, then trump ran in 2028 and won, and you'd have an understanding of how a lot of more liberal japanese people feel.