Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I really haven't seen problems with the dialogue so far, it's perfectly understandable.

On an unrelated note, spoilers for early game: "We have one female cast member, how should we do her awakening? Okay, transform in sex dungeon, cat burglar suit, overtly sexual bondage persona". This game has some weird views.

Ann's dilemma is having her sexuality controlled by a creepy old man, her gaining power over the adults in society is represented by her having control of her own sexuality.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

DreamShipWrecked posted:

We have one female cast member
No? Unless you mean the first, but I don't think that really factors into it.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Berseria's voice acting actually has some character to it though even in the places where it's spotty. Like I will take a Laphicets over half of this game's cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Captain Baal posted:

It's a good game, my dude. Glad you are enoying it.
i cant believe baal is pivoting...

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Hold on I'm breaking character.

Game's bad, here's my analysis on why it's sexist because a girl wears a leather panther outfit.

FractalSandwich
Apr 25, 2010

Moltrey posted:

Link to that article

doing two genders is a loving lot, but lmao at the idea that Persona 4 NEEDED to have a boy there
They're right that giving the player a choice would have been a pretty untenable increase in scope. That's why I think Persona 5 should have been a made for a female protagonist only.

Shadow Ninja 64
May 21, 2007

"I stood there, wondering why the puck was getting bigger...

and then it hit me."

Endorph posted:

I mean, does it get better later on? I'm like 6ish hours in.

Seriously, I'm not biased against the game and I think people calling it gibberish are exaggerating and pretty much poisoning the discussion, I just think it's not unfair to criticize the TL for some pretty obvious flaws. If it gets better, than that's good, though that would make me wonder why the first part of the game would be the part that saw the least editing when usually it's the other way around.

I think "poisoning the discussion" is a good way to describe things on both sides of the coin here. I also admit to not actually having started the game yet (!!!) so I won't say anything else besides what I've already said.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Captain Baal posted:

Berseria's voice acting actually has some character to it though even in the places where it's spotty. Like I will take a Laphicets over half of this game's cast.

Laphicet is one of my least favorite performances, we have completely different ears on a north/south korea level of disagreement

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Laphicet is one of my least favorite performances, we have completely different ears on a north/south korea level of disagreement

That's why I said him, because everyone else in that game sounds better than him, but he is still a voice with more character to it.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
The localisation seems fine to me, but maybe it's because I'm just not expecting the characters to use perfect grammar when speaking

there's errors, but instead of being engrishy it's more like how people don't talk perfectly IRL

General Morden
Mar 3, 2013

GOTTA HAVE THAT PAX BISONICA

except replace with Naoto Hiraoka and P5

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

Endorph posted:

Ann's dilemma is having her sexuality controlled by a creepy old man, her gaining power over the adults in society is represented by her having control of her own sexuality.

I guess, I just rolled my eyes when I realized we were doing the "sole female character's (at the time) back story is rape as drama" plot STILL

secret volcano lair
Oct 23, 2005

Luna Was Here posted:

Id say without context the only one that sounds reasonably bad is the second one. Like I can imagine contextual reasons as to why the other 3 lines exist even if they're not what should be probably be used as the wording there but calling it outright gibberish and saying its a poo poo script using singular out of context lines is just begging for people to jump on you and call you a retard.

You honestly think "It's true that what he did were deplorable crimes from... indulging his desire." is a coherent sentence?

well, okay then

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

FractalSandwich posted:

They're right that giving the player a choice would have been a pretty untenable increase in scope. That's why I think Persona 5 should have been a made for a female protagonist only.
a persona game with an exclusively female protagonist would be cool, since the coolest parts of the female route in p3p were junpei getting pissy because a girl was going to be bossing him around, and then later on when he gets worried about guys creeping on you in his s. link, or you being out at like 5 in the morning play with cats. that stuff felt kind of honest and interesting in a way that humanized a lot of the cast.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

DreamShipWrecked posted:

I guess, I just rolled my eyes when I realized we were doing the "sole female character's (at the time) back story is rape as drama" plot STILL

she wasn't raped, and male teachers creeping on female students is a pretty legit issue that a lot of teenage girls around the world face.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

Captain Baal posted:

That's why I said him, because everyone else in that game sounds better than him, but he is still a voice with more character to it.

Eh, he's got more character because his role in the plot is way bigger and leads to more moments of it. As a pure voice performance, it's way too stiff at times that bothers me when I'm sensitive to "Oh, the VA director clearly was just out of time here."

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
I find it hilarious and also upsetting that the first penis monster you fight solely targets Ann

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Endorph posted:

she wasn't raped, and male teachers creeping on female students is a pretty legit issue that a lot of teenage girls around the world face.

The teacher was blackmailing her for sex, I kind of count that in the same category even if she didn't go through with it, especially since he is implied to have raped her friend instead.

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

DreamShipWrecked posted:

it very explicitly is not rape as drama and instead is an older man pressuring a young girl to do things she's uncomfortable with because of his fetishizing of her. Like, they make it super clear in your first real convo they're not actually loving and the point is he's a scumbag who spreads rumors that she's his 'bitch' because it makes him feel powerful and clings to his glory days. And then she gets to go shoot him in the face with a tommy gun. It's like, the opposite of a stereotypical rape as drama thing. Male teachers being creeps to attractive young students is a genuine major issue and shock of shocks in a society focused around repressing and respecting authority in Japan it's a pretty big one too.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

PsychoInternetHawk posted:

The localisation seems fine to me, but maybe it's because I'm just not expecting the characters to use perfect grammar when speaking

If anything most of cludgy parts are because the grammar is too good. The syntax is all proper and lines up well enough but not in a way that resembles natural speech.

Jimmy Hats posted:

I find it hilarious and also upsetting that the first penis monster you fight solely targets Ann

I encountered an Incubus in an early tutorial fight and I'm pretty sure he called me "clown-shoes"

The Duchess Smackarse
May 8, 2012

by Lowtax
Mostly hilarious though

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Tae posted:

Eh, he's got more character because his role in the plot is way bigger and leads to more moments of it. As a pure voice performance, it's way too stiff at times that bothers me when I'm sensitive to "Oh, the VA director clearly was just out of time here."

I mean his voice, the voice is carried with weight and sounds like there's importance to it. I'm not saying his character has it because of his voice, I'm saying his voice is carried with a weight and strength that makes you think "This is someone of significance." I know that's weird thing to try and characterize and specify, but someone like Xander Mobus fucks it up as the MC in this game, but pulls it off perfectly as Arsene five minutes later.

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer

secret volcano lair posted:

You honestly think "It's true that what he did were deplorable crimes from... indulging his desire." is a coherent sentence?

well, okay then

have you ever heard someone try to talk about an uncomfortable subject without actually talking about it

cause they sound like that

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth
I enjoy that removing the chariot Mara usually rides makes it way more uncomfortably just a big ol dick. Like, it always was, but the chariot added a level of fantasy to this big ol green pecker that's been removed.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

ImpAtom posted:

So you do in fact respond exactly by posting the same five twitter posts that people have been posting in this thread. Gotcha.

Just encountered this in my own game:

I'm sure someone posted this on twitter someplace so it's entirely invalid, because I certainly read every tweet about this game

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
This game's version of the Getting The Group Together At Junes scene is so loving choice when it's raining, Beneath The Mask (rain variant) is so so good.

cant wait to fill this screen out with my all beautiful boys

The REAL Goobusters
Apr 25, 2008
Lmao this translation is fine and the VA is fine too minus Igor, but it is what it is on that one.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
New Igor is better than old Igor pass it on

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

secret volcano lair posted:

well, okay then

yes, because it is. but this

Heath posted:

I'm sure someone posted this on twitter someplace so it's entirely invalid, because I certainly read every tweet about this game

is loving clown shoes

Oxxidation posted:

If anything most of cludgy parts are because the grammar is too good. The syntax is all proper and lines up well enough but not in a way that resembles natural speech.

I'd say this is my biggest issue so far. There's been a few lines that sound like they're coming from an alien or someone wording everything out with the 8 letter variation of a 4 letter word.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Anyways most of the dialogue seems fine, but there's some jank in there in places. It's not a big deal but they could've had some people do a once over, but I haven't cringed at anything in particular except that fan tl that got posted pages back.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy

Captain Baal posted:

Anyways most of the dialogue seems fine, but there's some jank in there in places. It's not a big deal but they could've had some people do a once over, but I haven't cringed at anything in particular except that fan tl that got posted pages back.

drat baal, back at it again with the compliments to the bad game persona 5

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Grimey Drawer

Heath posted:

yeah Sae's easily the worst offender because it's clear someone tried to write precise lawyer jargon entirely off the cuff and it just doesn't work

game still owns tho

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Look I can't keep character and try to maintain some objectivity here, you get one or the other.

Luna Was Here
Mar 21, 2013

Lipstick Apathy
i prefer comedy baal

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Here's some comedy for you, your favorite characters all die

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

I won't accept it as a persona game until the lawyer starts busting out some Thous and Thees

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug
ok whoever said the dub is bad is wrong because ryuji's read of "GAAAAAAAAASP DOES THAT MEAN YOU GOT A PHOOONE?" is possibly my favorite line read in any persona game

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

MotU posted:

ok whoever said the dub is bad is wrong because ryuji's read of "GAAAAAAAAASP DOES THAT MEAN YOU GOT A PHOOONE?" is possibly my favorite line read in any persona game

Ryuji's got some pretty good line reads yeah

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦
TBH I haven't seen anybody in this thread express anything other than mild disappointment at the translation, but the people taking pains to call out all of the "hyperbole" and "rushing into the thread to poo poo it up" types that seem to be really angry at people on Twitter are giving me a much worse impression of the game than any of the screenshots have

Captain Baal posted:

Ryuji (and his VA and yes even his lines as written) are my favorite things about this game so far. His Persona rules.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MotU
Mar 6, 2007

It was like she was evicting walking garbage.
Pillbug

Captain Baal posted:

ive been on that line for 6 minutes god bless Dialogue Log