Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Parachute
May 18, 2003

Basebf555 posted:

I'm glad Avatar exists because it definitely pushed the use of 3D forward in a direction that I really liked, but I just wish Cameron would've been satisfied with that and moved on to the next thing.

Basebf555 posted:

I have a strong dislike for Cameron.

:getin:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
I have a strong dislike for Cameron but its not like I'm insane, obviously he's done some things that are good, and even a few that are great.

Parachute
May 18, 2003
*gif from true lies of jlc dropping the mp5 down the stairs and shooting like 5 people*

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.
Ok let's talk about streaming movies again please, two pages is enough of that derail.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
The Discovery popped up on Netflix within the past few days, anyone watched it yet? It has a hell of a cast.

david_a
Apr 24, 2010

Megamarm
Hulu has some Black Mirror wannabe called Dimension 404. Anybody watched it yet?

A MIRACLE
Sep 17, 2007

All right. It's Saturday night; I have no date, a two-liter bottle of Shasta and my all-Rush mix-tape... Let's rock.

The new Louis CK special is really funny. Return to form if you didn't like his last special very much

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
I watched House on Telegraph Hill on Netflix the other day and it's real good. Nice and twisty post-war noir that does a great job of playing with your sympathies. It reminded me a lot of Phoenix from a few years back, and there's some Shadow of a Doubt in there too.

quote:

Polish woman Viktoria Kowalska (Valentina Cortese) has lost her home and her husband in the German occupation of Poland, and has been imprisoned in the concentration camp at Belsen. She befriends another prisoner, Karin Dernakova (Natasha Lytess), who dreams of reuniting with her young son Christopher (Gordon Gebert), who was sent to live in San Francisco with a wealthy Aunt. Karin dies shortly before the camp can be liberated, and Viktoria, seeing a way to a better life, uses Karin's papers to assume her identity.

Four years later, Viktoria (still going by the name of Karin) is able to travel to New York, where she meets with Christopher's guardian Alan Spender (Richard Basehart), a distant relative of Sophia's. "Karin" intends to gain custody of "her" son, but it becomes clear that Sophia has left her fortune to Christopher when he comes of age. When she realizes that Alan is attracted to her, she realizes that it will be easier to stay in America if she has an American husband.

Between this and Born To Kill I need to check out more of Robert Wise's noir stuff

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer
Netflix added Escape From New York, which is awesome, because they usually just have Escape from LA

Edit: And Prime added A History of Violence

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

A MIRACLE posted:

The new Louis CK special is really funny. Return to form if you didn't like his last special very much

TBH I didn't care for it much. I feel like he's kind of losing me in general.

Kirk Vikernes
Apr 26, 2004

Count Goatnackh

Has anyone watched Hap and Leonard on Netflix? Supposed to get wild and crazy but the first two episodes were so-so and mostly boring.

Also thinking about trying The Break. Anyone seen it? If neither works out I'm finally going to marathon through BCS.

Remulak
Jun 8, 2001
I can't count to four.
Yams Fan
Too Late is on netflix now and I picked it at random, knowing nothing about it. It's pretty cool, it's a modern socal noir. I was a good 10 minutes into it before I figured out that it's shot entirely in 5 one-take 22min reels of 35mm.

mysterious frankie
Jan 11, 2009

This displeases Dev- ..van. Shut up.

veni veni veni posted:

TBH I didn't care for it much. I feel like he's kind of losing me in general.

I didn't laugh once, but made it til the part in the "nine 11 truthers" bit where he was playing the character of the main truther before I turned it off. It transitioned from something good enough to bear with, to embarrassing at that point.

I don't know if it's that my favorite stand up comedians are getting older and aren't funny anymore, or that my sense of humor has changed enough that stand up just no longer works for me, but I have not found a single comedy special that actually makes me laugh in over a year. I used to love stand up too, but these days every big comedian I watch just seems so tired and unwarrantedly self indulgent.

ChineseConnection
Jun 23, 2005
It looks like Prime/Hulu added a fair amount of anime (http://kotaku.com/your-spring-2017-anime-guide-1794025585), but I'm a novice when it comes to whats good and worth my time. Is there anything anyone else would recommend? My wife is recovering from childbirth and needs something to help pass the time. So far, she's enjoyed:

Death Parade
Devil is a Part Timer
Food Wars
Silver Spoons (especially this one)
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Yuri on Ice
Akame no Kill
Attack on Titan
One Punch Man
Sword Art Online
Psycho-Pass
Gargantia on the Verdurous Planet
Shinchan
Keijo: Hip Whip Girl
A Boring World Where the Concept of Dirty Jokes Doesn't Exist

She hated the Wallflower, Erased, Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. Is Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress worth watching? Any recommendations are appreciated.

X-Ray Pecs
May 11, 2008

New York
Ice Cream
TV
Travel
~Good Times~

Franchescanado posted:

Edit: And Prime added A History of Violence

Hell yeah

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie

ChineseConnection posted:

It looks like Prime/Hulu added a fair amount of anime (http://kotaku.com/your-spring-2017-anime-guide-1794025585), but I'm a novice when it comes to whats good and worth my time. Is there anything anyone else would recommend? My wife is recovering from childbirth and needs something to help pass the time. So far, she's enjoyed:

Death Parade
Devil is a Part Timer
Food Wars
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Yuri on Ice
Akame no Kill
Attack on Titan
One Punch Man
Sword Art Online
Psycho-Pass
Shinchan

She hated the Wallflower, Erased, Gurren Lagann and Kill la Kill. Is Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress worth watching? Any recommendations are appreciated.

None of it. Anime is all garbage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Anime is good, actually.

Kabaneri of the Iron Fortress is pretty bad but then again so are a bunch of things on your wife's list. It's kind of a like a poor man's Attack on Titan, so if you really loved that concept and want to see a similar concept that I think went to waste (you may not agree) then go for it.

I remember Eccentric Family S1 had a really strong start, but I never finished the first season. It's an adaptation of a work by the author of The Tatami Galaxy, which is fantastic, though, so at least the writing should be good.

Natsume's Book of Friends is consistently excellent, it's slower-paced than a lot of stuff on your wife's list but I see Silver Spoon on there so it's probably fine.

Nothing else in that link really jumps out at me but there's probably some sleeper hit among the original series that I just don't have an "oh, it's that series / writer / studio" vouch to base my opinion on.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

A MIRACLE posted:

:agreed:

I didn't much like his last one (though I didn't hate it as much as some) but the new one is him being more "on point" and less "tired old man".

WeedlordGoku69
Feb 12, 2015

by Cyrano4747

Death Parade
Devil is a Part Timer
Food Wars
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Yuri on Ice
Akame no Kill
Attack on Titan
One Punch Man
Sword Art Online
Psycho-Pass
Shinchan

If she liked Death Note, Akame ga Kill, FMA and Psycho-Pass, she'll probably dig the gently caress out of Future Diary (on Hulu, both dubbed and subbed- I actually recommend the dub, it's a really loving good dub whereas the Japanese audio and sub track are a little :effort:). Go in as blind as possible, it's definitely a show that suffers greatly from being spoiled and it's *really* hard to talk about without spoiling some reveal or another.

Also keep in mind there's an OVA, Redial, that comes after the end of the series and isn't on Hulu. It's partly made up of the last couple chapters of the manga, and partly made up of some cute filler stuff that I honestly enjoyed. Trust me, you'll thank me for mentioning this when y'all get to the end.

WeedlordGoku69 fucked around with this message at 21:30 on Apr 5, 2017

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

The Louie ck special was great y'all are nerds

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Death Parade
Devil is a Part Timer
Food Wars
Death Note
Full Metal Alchemist
Yuri on Ice
Akame no Kill
Attack on Titan
One Punch Man
Sword Art Online
Psycho-Pass
Shinchan

I've heard good things about Yuri on Ice

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Hat Thoughts posted:

I've heard good things about Yuri on Ice

Knowing what "Yuri" means I thought this was a joke but Wikipedia makes it sound like it actually is a good anime.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

precision posted:

Knowing what "Yuri" means I thought this was a joke but Wikipedia makes it sound like it actually is a good anime.

Yuri is also a name

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Jose Oquendo posted:

None of it. Anime is all garbage.

Please take me back to 2009 SA, traveler, there are future wrongs I must go back and prevent

Human Tornada
Mar 4, 2005

I been wantin to see a honkey dance.

Basebf555 posted:

The Discovery popped up on Netflix within the past few days, anyone watched it yet? It has a hell of a cast.

I watched it and liked it. The ending it majorly rushed and pretty unsatisfying but hey, movies are more than just their endings so overall I enjoyed watching it.

A Proper Uppercut
Sep 30, 2008

mysterious frankie posted:

I didn't laugh once, but made it til the part in the "nine 11 truthers" bit where he was playing the character of the main truther before I turned it off. It transitioned from something good enough to bear with, to embarrassing at that point.

I don't know if it's that my favorite stand up comedians are getting older and aren't funny anymore, or that my sense of humor has changed enough that stand up just no longer works for me, but I have not found a single comedy special that actually makes me laugh in over a year. I used to love stand up too, but these days every big comedian I watch just seems so tired and unwarrantedly self indulgent.

I mainly agree with you on everything here, except I still really like Bill Burr.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
My other, other car is a centipede filled with vaginas.
I love one punch man, so does my wife. It pokes fun at poo poo that makes us hate anime. The voice actors aren't annoying and it doesn't take itself seriously in all the right ways. I've tried shows before that people have said were anime for people who hate anime and never enjoyed them but this one works.

Not sure if I consider it gateway because it seems to make other shows even harder for me to stomach. It's all so loving terrible.

It's been on Hulu for a while but the Netflix seems to have either a better looking release or it could just be due to the higher bandwidth.

Franchescanado
Feb 23, 2013

If it wasn't for disappointment
I wouldn't have any appointment

Grimey Drawer

I think you've answered yourself on this one.

You should probably go see a live show sometime and see if that fixes your broken brain. If you can't laugh in a room full of other people laughing where alcohol is served, I dunno what to tell you.

Basebf555 posted:

Same director as The One I Love? Sign me up.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

"Anime for people who hate anime" is a dubious concept from the start. Someone who's really plugged in to the medium is operating at a long-distance second guess of what that even looks like, and someone who isn't probably watched some garbage show when they were 12 or trusted a total idiot to give them recommendations.

Even if we accept that "movies and shows from <nation>" and "cartoon" tell you anything about style or substance (which is plenty debatable in itself), it's very unlikely that both people are talking about the same thing.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 22:25 on Apr 5, 2017

Short Penguin
Jun 1, 2010

GonSmithe posted:

Yuri is also a name
Yuri on Ice is aweome. One of my favorite Anime's of 2017

Hat Thoughts
Jul 27, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"Anime for people who hate anime" is a dubious concept from the start. Someone who's really plugged in to the medium is operating at a long-distance second guess of what that even looks like, and someone who isn't probably watched some garbage show when they were 12 or trusted a total idiot to give them recommendations.

Even if we accept that "movies and shows from <nation>" and "cartoon" tell you anything about style or substance (which is plenty debatable in itself), it's very unlikely that both people are talking about the same thing.

I think part of it is that it's an import so people are less likely to seek it out on their own so much as be introduced to it by some1 and, like with sitcoms or anything else, most of the really popular stuff is garbage in similar ways. So you're less likely to run into someone who actually gives u good recommendations because you're looking for a subsection (good taste) of a subsection (interested in looking into anime). Not that the second category has anything to do with the likelihood of having good taste, it's just that (unbelievably pretentious voice) most people don't.

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
I don't know a lot specifically about anime but if the description sounds interesting I'll give it a try and except for a few things, I don't care for it. I will say that the ghost in the shell arise miniseries wasn't bad. I figure the stuff on Netflix and Hulu is the most popular/accessible and it's just not for me. The weird fetish poo poo that I see in gifs on the forums is an entirely different issue but I don't think either services stream poo poo about girls that turn into nazi planes or whatever the gently caress that is.

I tried to watch Attack on titan. It's everywhere and I don't get it at all. Mopey teenagers riding around on zip lines killing giant retard cannibal babies with razors. Part of that sounds cool but it's not.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

the best anime is generally stuff that's about experimenting with animation itself and you better believe it is the absolute last thing to get localized lol

the next-best is stuff that's written for adult audiences but not because it's grimdark or sexy, which has the same problem

third best is stuff that absurdly anime in exactly the way you're imagining, but is funny or insightful about it or so cheerfully exploitative and trashy that it becomes a positive (like Future Diary), which IS the kind of thing that gets localized but doesn't really help your problem

masaaki yuasa did a guest episode of adventure time once, though, that was cool

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 23:25 on Apr 5, 2017

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

the best anime is One Piece

Ftfy

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

one piece is charming at first and would probably be better if all the puns could be translated (or translated better), but quickly becomes formulaic to the point where the cracks start showing, even in manga form

and god help you if you watch the show

Filthy Hans
Jun 27, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Mammal Sauce posted:

Has anyone watched Hap and Leonard on Netflix? Supposed to get wild and crazy but the first two episodes were so-so and mostly boring.

Hap and Leonard is a boring waste of talent, it tries for "wild and crazy" and falls flat on its face

In other news, Midnight Meat Train is up on Netflix, I have no idea if it's any good but I've wanted to see it for a while

Lincoln`s Wax
May 1, 2000
Midnight Meat Train has a pretty wtf plot reveal/twist that I think is worth giving it a view. Not a masterpiece or anything but it's very gory and bleak- Clive Barker and all that.

Sir Kodiak
May 14, 2007

I found Midnight Meat Train really tedious, for what it's worth. The ending is pretty wild, but I didn't find it worth the journey. I found Bradley Cooper really hard to watch, in particular.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

I still really enjoy standup, but Louis CK just drags stuff out too much for me. Like, the humor is often taking something not that funny and making more and more extreme and hypothetical until it's just completely dumb. His gross out stuff is bad. I like some of his observational stuff but this special completely missed the mark for me.

Overall I think he's decent but I didn't like this special. It's the first thing from him I thought was outright bad. I still don't think he's even my upper tier for good comedians right now though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr. F!
Sep 21, 2016

veni veni veni posted:

I still really enjoy standup, but Louis CK just drags stuff out too much for me. Like, the humor is often taking something not that funny and making more and more extreme and hypothetical until it's just completely dumb. His gross out stuff is bad. I like some of his observational stuff but this special completely missed the mark for me.

Overall I think he's decent but I didn't like this special. It's the first thing from him I thought was outright bad. I still don't think he's even my upper tier for good comedians right now though.

What are your upper tier comedians? I'm always down to see some new to me comedy.