Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Speedball posted:

Bokurano is the anime where like 20 kids gather to pilot a giant robot and each of them can only pilot it once because it kills them after they go, right? Yeah...that's about right.

Yeah, I don't know how the anime handles it all but in the manga it gets pretty weird.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic

Alavaria posted:

And then we'd get like the shinbone of the giant robot as a heavy weapon and that's the weapon story.

Nonsense!
It would join us as a party member, piloted by the amalgam-ghost of all 20 kids simultaneously :shepface:

AccidentalHipster
Jul 5, 2013

Whadda ya MEAN ya never heard of Dan Brereton?

White Coke posted:

Probably. They've been at war for over 6000 years.

Fun fact, in WW2 US manufacturers were told to switch from aluminum to paper mache siding for non-vital tank parts because at that point the European Theatre was suffering massive metal shortages and the Allies didn't want the Axis getting materials from looted Shermans. And that was after less than a decade of warfare!

Also, thank you for this LP DarkId

Mundetiam
Apr 28, 2015

The Dark Id posted:

So these big computer terminals are NieR: Automata’s save points. Just being within the vicinity of one lets us do a Quick Save from the menu. Quick Save is a bit of a misnomer here. It’s the only kind of a real rear end save. A manual save from the System menu just lets us change which of the three slots we save our Quick Saves into.

It takes roughly .8 seconds to pop into the menu and tap Quick Save when near these gizmos. You don’t even have to stay in the menu for it to complete. There is NO AUTO-SAVE and this takes ALMOST NO TIME AT ALL to do when in the area. If you gently caress up and die, losing hours of progress because you’ve grown into a soft busta over the years, that’s entirely on you!

It was me. I was the soft busta.

In all honesty, a couple of save shenanigans resulted in about 5 hours of lost time early on. That sort of killed my desire to play in the busy days after release. Otherwise I probably would have finished it in one week instead of only being about 98% of the way now (without miscellaneous grinding).

Good loving game though. Maybe the best of the year, and obviously the best of the Taroverse.

Glazius
Jul 22, 2007

Hail all those who are able,
any mouse can,
any mouse will,
but the Guard prevail.

Clapping Larry
I wonder if these wars keep going on for so long because it takes that long to spin up another fusion core for an android or some other weird component.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Glazius posted:

I wonder if these wars keep going on for so long because it takes that long to spin up another fusion core for an android or some other weird component.

Maybe the war ended but they forgot to save and now the lost save apathy has kicked in and they just don't want to bother trying again.

Dabir
Nov 10, 2012

Posted this in the Games thread but i figure there's probably some people avoiding spoilers who might find it useful:

I've been working on figuring out a comprehensive movelist for 2B, including various restrictions on which acrobatic moves can and can't be performed in certain combinations, which gets pretty complicated if you're pulling off long strings of moves. Should be spoiler free unless I've missed something really tiny, and I've gone over it enough times that I shouldn't have.

Spiritus Nox
Sep 2, 2011

neongrey posted:

I'm pretty sure the axis of the earth was moved, that that's what caused it?

Wouldn't that just change the direction the sun moves across the sky?

SageAcrin
Apr 23, 2014

there was a mean thing here before, but now there is a dog
IIRC, it wasn't that the sun didn't rise and set.

It just stopped getting dark.

Maxwell Adams
Oct 21, 2000

T E E F S

Spiritus Nox posted:

Wouldn't that just change the direction the sun moves across the sky?

The concept is called 'Tidal locking'. Like how the moon is tidally locked to the earth, and always has the same side facing the planet. Leading scientists agree that the Earth becoming tidally locked to the sun is the most likely outcome if a dragon from another dimension engages in a rap battle within the Earth's atmosphere.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

More games need joke endings. Also, curious design decision to line the walls of the last bastion of humanity with nitroglycerine.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Invisible werewolf (entirely visible, not actually a wolf)
Hell I only noticed this LP so far in. I just assumed it wouldn't happen so I didn't think to check

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

More games need joke endings. Also, curious design decision to line the walls of the last bastion of humanity with nitroglycerine.
To say nothing of the decision to stick fusion reactors prone to massive chain reactions inside all of your employees.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

The only issue here is the forehead shading makes it more like she's depressed or sick than stern. It's still legit as gently caress though.

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Rangpur posted:

To say nothing of the decision to stick fusion reactors prone to massive chain reactions inside all of your employees.

This bunker isn't up to code at all!

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

MiddleOne posted:

Honestly this sounds like average Nierverse human decision making

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

...your cybernetic implants, the only beauty in that meat you call "a body"...
Grimey Drawer
Probably the biggest threat to humanity is boredom (aside from "itself"). So yeah, you can bet that the humans chilling on the moon for the last several millennia are in something like cryosleep, suspended animation, consciousness VR or any other type of scifi mumbo jumbo storage and some kind of skeleton crew with long standing orders is issuing the occasional directions and propaganda to the drone warfare forces.

Or... they're all dead, which wouldn't exactly be a twist in a Yoko Taro game, tbf.

Tempest_56
Mar 14, 2009

Humans being all dead is far too predictable and straight-forward. If that's the big twist even people not familiar with Yoko Taro's work would go "Oh, okay". I'll be sorely disappointed if it isn't something far more wild like... the aliens were actually humans who went back in time to try and take the world back before it was lost, and after thousands of years on the moon were unrecognizable as humans, setting up a time loop. THAT is far more Yoko Taro.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

Haha, gonna have a fun time explaining that to the council. "Wait, what? How did we lose an important orbital asset to help us reclaim Earth?" "Uhhh everything just blew up"

MiddleOne
Feb 17, 2011

Thisuck posted:

Haha, gonna have a fun time explaining that to the council. "Wait, what? How did we lose an important orbital asset to help us reclaim Earth?" "Uhhh everything just blew up"

Dumber things have happened in real-life with dire consequences.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/cyprus/8629594/Cyprus-explosion-knocks-out-islands-electricity-plant.html

quote:

Initial reports indicated a brush fire crept into the arms depot on the Evangelos Florakis Naval Base, on the southern coast of the island near the town of Zygi.

It set light to gunpowder stored there since being confiscated in February 2009 from a Cypriot flagged ship, the Monchegorsk, that was suspected of transporting it from Iran to Gaza.

The explosion killed two sailors, four soldiers from the National Guard and five firemen, and it was thought the death toll would rise.

A nearby power station at Vassilikou, the largest on the island was struck by the blast, knocking out local power supplies. Among its customers is a BBC relay station, six of whose transmitters, broadcasting English-language services to the Middle East, were disrupted.The ministry said the explosion occurred at the Evangelos Florakis Naval Base on the Mediterranean island's southern coast at around 6am (0300GMT).

That's right, massive amounts of gunpowder left for 2 years right next door to the most important power plant in the country.

MiddleOne fucked around with this message at 17:03 on Apr 5, 2017

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

Thisuck posted:

"Making all of our staff walking bombs seemed like a good idea at the time"

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

MiddleOne posted:

Dumber things have happened in real-life with dire consequences.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/europe/cyprus/8629594/Cyprus-explosion-knocks-out-islands-electricity-plant.html

That's right, massive amounts of gunpowder left for 2 years right next door to the most important power plant in the country.

This is why we're living on the moon now, humans gonna human.

Nina posted:

"Making all of our staff walking bombs seemed like a good idea at the time"

"Look as long as there's a slim chance we can take out the enemies out at the same time, it's an acceptable risk"

Rangpur
Dec 31, 2008

MiddleOne posted:

poo poo, you don't even have to look that far afield. There's the fertilizer plant in Texas that got repeatedly cited for unsafe storage conditions with no improvement on the issue. Which then, shockingly, blew up and leveled city block due to unsafe storage conditions.

...What I'm getting at, is that if SA still exists in the year 11,000 the OSHA.jpg thread is filled with pictures of the YoRHa base.

warhammer651
Jul 21, 2012
funnily enough, in gameplay the self destruct actually leaves you alive with 1hp, while dealing some pretty strong damage in a large AoE.

It also blows off the skirt, leaving 2b in a leotard thing.

Guess what it gets used most often for.

Nina
Oct 9, 2016

It also cancels your moves but I guess dweebs are more interested in butts than sick combos

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

warhammer651 posted:

funnily enough, in gameplay the self destruct actually leaves you alive with 1hp, while dealing some pretty strong damage in a large AoE.

Kavak
Aug 23, 2009

warhammer651 posted:

What is that skirt made out of, flechette?

AriadneThread
Feb 17, 2011

The Devil sounds like smoke and honey. We cannot move. It is too beautiful.

Kavak posted:

it's shrapnel to maximize damage from the explosion

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer

Kavak posted:

Cloth. The catch here is that the rest of the dress (sans boots, maybe) is part of her android body and not actually clothes.

Thisuck
Apr 29, 2012

Spoilers
Pillbug

HenryEx posted:

Cloth. The catch here is that the rest of the dress (sans boots, maybe) is part of her android body and not actually clothes.

She doesn't change boots, she changes calves and feet

VagueRant
May 24, 2012
Steam experts, when do you next think the game will be on sale? Do they usually do an Easter sale or anything? (Can't remember if there's already been a Spring sale)

The LP keeps really making me want to play it. And the thread has reassured me on the bullet hell stuff. And I can hold my graphics card together with a zip tie. But drat it, I'm still a big ol' tightpurse!

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Josuke Higashikata posted:

https://twitter.com/yokotaro/status/849292882741567488

NieR: Automata has broken a million sales!

NieR: Automata has only just broken a million despite being this drat good

:negative:

For reference, this is something like the combined sales of the entire Drakengard series to date. Or the entire sales life of the original Nier.

Yoko Taro will probably end up having made more sales on this game alone than the entire rest of his games combined.

Which is pretty drat amazing.

(Yes he has non-Drakengard and Nier games, but they're mostly irrelevant in sales)

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

VagueRant posted:

Steam experts, when do you next think the game will be on sale? Do they usually do an Easter sale or anything? (Can't remember if there's already been a Spring sale)

The LP keeps really making me want to play it. And the thread has reassured me on the bullet hell stuff. And I can hold my graphics card together with a zip tie. But drat it, I'm still a big ol' tightpurse!

I doubt it'll go on sale again til closer to the end of the year, the game's barely a month out.

Sgt Thud
Oct 14, 2012

Nina posted:

It also cancels your moves but I guess dweebs are more interested in butts than sick combos

Why not both? Sick butt combos.

Frionnel
May 7, 2010

Friends are what make testing worth it.
Oh hey, i always had a faint glimmer of hope that you would come back for this game, and it's nice to see you did, TDI! This will probably be a wild ride.

Alavaria
Apr 3, 2009

warhammer651 posted:

So does it allow you to cheese the predictable (you get swarmed by tons of mobs until your framerate starts to suffer) segments, or will the enemies have just enough hp to survive so that someone pokes you and you die for real?

HenryEx
Mar 25, 2009

Grimey Drawer
It's actually pretty effective at wiping out low-tier enemies, and will at least take off like a third to half the health off bigger ones.
There's a reason why you shouldn't use it mid-battle, though, only as a finisher, which TDI might show off as soon as it doesn't automatically give you a bad end.

really queer Christmas
Apr 22, 2014

VagueRant posted:

It may go on sale in June during the summer sale, but if it does I wouldn't expect much since it seems to be selling well. GreenManGaming has it for $45 USD if you have an account with them. If you want it, I'd try and get it from them if you can.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cirina
Feb 15, 2013

Operation complete.

Supremezero posted:

For reference, this is something like the combined sales of the entire Drakengard series to date. Or the entire sales life of the original Nier.

Yoko Taro will probably end up having made more sales on this game alone than the entire rest of his games combined.

Which is pretty drat amazing.

(Yes he has non-Drakengard and Nier games, but they're mostly irrelevant in sales)

Wait he has non-Drakengard and Nier games? Like what?

• Locked thread