Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Covok posted:

I mean, when I'm playing a game, I'm not developing one nor is it like the developer will ever hear my complaint. It's not like its some holy duty or something, we're just playing a game.

But a good DM can fix anything! :pseudo:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gourdcaptain
Nov 16, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

"No game is perfect," is a poor excuse for not trying, you should criticize the gently caress out of games, and while the cooperative and human-adjudicated nature of RPGs means you can't be quite as 100% "go ahead, try and break the game if you can, if you manage it then the game sucks" as you could with a video game, developers, and to a lesser extent GMs, still have a responsibility to shape the player experience and design systems that don't fall apart under pressures that they themselves incentivized.

But you probably shouldn't be arguing about design theory in the middle of a session, especially if it's disrupting other players' experience. You can be completely correct about everything and still be an rear end in a top hat.

True, although when I've participated in playtests for systems under development (mostly Strike) I tend to go full ridiculous with the rules discussion and exploitative builds so they'll get patched. There are several abilities in games that are now twice as long textwise just to prevent stuff I did in playtests occurring ever again.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Covok posted:

My issue is it often puts me in the position of having to defend the choice of system.
Don't do that. Instead just say "yep those are flaws. Sucks, every game's got 'em, you either fix them or play around them." and if he's whining, break out the taser.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Covok posted:

So, how do y'all deal with gamers who can find a problem with any trpg system and aren't afraid to complain about them in front of the entire group? I don't think there is anything wrong with not liking something or wanting to mention it, but I find bitching about it in front of everyone can lower people's fun in the title and makes my job harder when I'm the one who likes the game.

Was this gamer involved in picking the system the group is now using? If you're having to defend the choice if system, it sounds like what you're playing might not have been group consensus.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

slap me and kiss me posted:

Was this gamer involved in picking the system the group is now using? If you're having to defend the choice if system, it sounds like what you're playing might not have been group consensus.

He was not involved, but he was also invited to the game after the pick was made. As in "hey, do you want to play a game of Godbound?" sense. He could have said no.

Yawgmoth posted:

Don't do that. Instead just say "yep those are flaws. Sucks, every game's got 'em, you either fix them or play around them."

Hm, that could work.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
If they have specific issues you can try and address those if it's practical, but otherwise you just have to ask them to tone it down.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Covok posted:

He was not involved, but he was also invited to the game after the pick was made. As in "hey, do you want to play a game of Godbound?" sense. He could have said no.

In that context, I'm with ARB. Fix the problems if you can, ask dude to dial it back if you can't, ask him to leave if you must.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

LatwPIAT posted:

9) Telling people about weird flaws and silliness in systems is a communal bonding activity that everyone participates in, sharing anecdotes about Exalted 2e's recession-blocking swords, peasant railguns, and football-throwing babies.
There's a tone difference between this and what Covok is describing. I love ripping games to shreds, especially ones I like, but as long as they're in any way functional I will I do that while also being excited to play elf with my friends. Usually I'm ripping them to shreds because it's easier to avoid the flaws the better you know them. Other times I'm ripping them to shreds because they're hilarious trainwrecks that should never have been put to paper. D&D 5E is a wildcard in that it's a non-functional hilarious trainwreck that should never have been put to paper for which my criticism is mean spirited (and accurate), but I still play it regularly and keep my bile-soaked vitriol away from the table (when possible).

Covok posted:

I'll pick option 1, and 7, and 8.

Option 7 and 8 are:
7) They have been hacking 3.5 for years and are now obsessed with finding flaws and broken builds and trying to break a system
8) Despite their initial joy at doing so, they quickly grow to hate the fact they managed to do so as it proves the system is flawed.

For option 1, I think its worth noting it isn't D&D or White Wolf (well, maybe. Wouldn't be shocked if he wants to do 3.5). In this case, it's 2.5 Exalted (I think: doing Godbound as an alternative to actual Exalted at the moment and he hates Ex 3rd edition for not being silly enough and loves 2.5 Ed for being silly and stupid like he likes it but hates it too for being broken game with turtle combat).

It's odd too because even games he likes he kind of hates because he broke them. Like, he likes Masks but also hates it a little because he broke it because he thinks the Doom track is a powegrab till you're on your last advance. Also, he hates how it is so strict in what genres it does that, if you're players don't have buyin, it breaks down so therefore it and a lot PbtA games are deeply flawed but is also interested in them but also wishes roleplaying games would stop simplifying and feels a return to crunch is inevitable.

Edit: Great, now me adding in an option 6 and 7 doesn't work. Got to make them 7 and 8.
Those are just subsets of 4 :colbert:

Sit him down, put on some very special episode music, and tell him to stop sweating the small stuff. No game is perfect, apart from our lord and saviour Paranoia. His "gently caress this busted poo poo" dial is all out of whack and he needs to recalibrate it ASAP. Refusing to acknowledge a broken system is broken and declaring a functional-with-flaws system unusable are two sides of the same coin.

Regarding defending the system: Sometimes a "flaw" isn't a flaw. Saying PbtA doesn't work without buy in is like saying it doesn't work without dice. "Yes that's true. So what happened to our buy in/dice" is a productive response. For things that are flaws, but can be worked around:

Yawgmoth posted:

Don't do that. Instead just say "yep those are flaws. Sucks, every game's got 'em, you either fix them or play around them." and if he's whining, break out the taser.
e: for flaws that are flaws and cannot be worked around, don't defend the indefensible. Friends don't let friends play dungeons and dragons fifth edition.

Splicer fucked around with this message at 19:18 on Apr 3, 2017

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

gourdcaptain posted:

True, although when I've participated in playtests for systems under development (mostly Strike) I tend to go full ridiculous with the rules discussion and exploitative builds so they'll get patched. There are several abilities in games that are now twice as long textwise just to prevent stuff I did in playtests occurring ever again.

Yeah playtests are a whole different story, in that case you should stress test potential problems even if they're probably beyond the scope of the game itself to address, just in case you maybe find a way that does work.

Reene
Aug 26, 2005

:justpost:

exalted is a really bad game to be fair and I legitimately have no idea how anyone sits down and plays it past character creation as vast swaths of the system are labyrinthine or literally incomprehensible

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Reene posted:

exalted is a really bad game to be fair and I legitimately have no idea how anyone sits down and plays it past character creation as vast swaths of the system are labyrinthine or literally incomprehensible

That's not true anymore. 3e is bloated, but functional.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Reene posted:

Because I have a brain that's exploding in neural nets and lets me do simple math and chargen in EX3s streamlined rules while yours is shriveled like a stegosaurses' as you cannot do so

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Reene posted:

I have a friend who's been in a Roll20 Exalted 2e game for a long time now; they're using character sheets that do all the math and die pool calculation for them, though. She even admits that without those she wouldn't be playing it.

Lemon-Lime
Aug 6, 2009

Covok posted:

So, how do y'all deal with gamers who can find a problem with any trpg system and aren't afraid to complain about them in front of the entire group? I don't think there is anything wrong with not liking something or wanting to mention it, but I find bitching about it in front of everyone can lower people's fun in the title and makes my job harder when I'm the one who likes the game.

Tell them to shut up during the game and bring it up afterwards, or leave.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Covok posted:

tell them that harping on the game itself during the game is disruptive. (i'm assuming it is - if you have any doubt, check with other players on this first!) tell them that any criticism that isn't specific and actionable right now needs to be saved for some time when it won't be disruptive. after sessions in person, another forum for discussion if online, or whatever. the emphasis on actionable criticism is important - if it's something someone at the table can do something about, that's very often useful and important and needs to be dealt with. otherwise, then they need to can it.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/ThatOneGM/status/849322677160595458

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

Cease to Hope posted:

tell them that harping on the game itself during the game is disruptive. (i'm assuming it is - if you have any doubt, check with other players on this first!) tell them that any criticism that isn't specific and actionable right now needs to be saved for some time when it won't be disruptive. after sessions in person, another forum for discussion if online, or whatever. the emphasis on actionable criticism is important - if it's something someone at the table can do something about, that's very often useful and important and needs to be dealt with. otherwise, then they need to can it.

This is something I think is key if you're playing a homegame where everyone meets up X times per month; don't waste peoples' time on this poo poo. We're all here to play through the campaign, so leave the edition warring and char-op and anything not crucial to accomplishing the task at hand to email/forum/pub discussion.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone tell me whay games are there where you play as a Goblin or maybe even as a HobGoblin

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011
someone

someone please

why goblin

tell me why goblin

TELL ME

Lichtenstein
May 31, 2012

It'll make sense, eventually.

Cease to Hope posted:

someone

someone please

why goblin

tell me why goblin

TELL ME

goblin good
goblin fun

Kai Tave
Jul 2, 2012
Fallen Rib
GURPS Goblins. No, really. It's not exactly what you think when you say "here's a game about playing goblins" though.

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

Plutonis posted:

Can someone tell me whay games are there where you play as a Goblin or maybe even as a HobGoblin

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Styx Master of Shadows the Board Game????

potatocubed
Jul 26, 2012

*rathian noises*

Plutonis posted:

Goblin Quest is gold.

SirPhoebos
Dec 10, 2007

WELL THAT JUST HAPPENED!

I'm putting together a Paranoia module for GenCon, and to my dismay there's no template in the Troubleshooters book for bots or other NPCs. Since I want to use the least amount of effort, are there any online resources I can use?

Laudets to Friend Computer, and pass the B3.

EDIT: I'm using the 25th Anniversary edition, if that matters

long-ass nips Diane
Dec 13, 2010

Breathe.

all hail king torg

DocBubonic
Mar 11, 2003

Tempora mutantur, et nos mutamur in illis
ALL HAIL KING TORG!!

Forget about goblins and hobgoblins, kobolds are the way to go.

Kobolds Ate My Baby is the go to game.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kai Tave posted:

GURPS Goblins. No, really. It's not exactly what you think when you say "here's a game about playing goblins" though.

GURPS Goblins is real, and strong, and my friend.

gnome7
Oct 21, 2010

Who's this Little
Spaghetti?? ??

DocBubonic posted:

ALL HAIL KING TORG!!

Forget about goblins and hobgoblins, kobolds are the way to go.

Kobolds Ate My Baby is the go to game.

Goblin Quest is literally KamB but better, so go play that instead.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Can someone tell me whay games are there where you play as a Lamia or maybe even as an Arachne

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Plutonis posted:

Can someone tell me whay games are there where you play as a Lamia or maybe even as an Arachne

Dungeons and Dragons Three Point Five

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!

Plutonis posted:

I don´t think there are any "Monstergirl RPG" games yet.

On another note, what is the design implication from "wounds systems" for games? I´m thinking of replacing the current hp with death spiral systems with a heavy, medium, light wounds system which would also force a rewrite of combat values and "combat abilities" but allows for a very different feel but I´m unclear about the effect on a design by itself and wanted to ask therefore, what Alpha Complex thinks about that ;)

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012

Mr.Misfit posted:

On another note, what is the design implication from "wounds systems" for games? I´m thinking of replacing the current hp with death spiral systems with a heavy, medium, light wounds system which would also force a rewrite of combat values and "combat abilities" but allows for a very different feel but I´m unclear about the effect on a design by itself and wanted to ask therefore, what Alpha Complex thinks about that ;)

They're kinda a relic of the 90s tbh. They're fine in a gritty game where combat is meant to be avoided, but basically the problem with them is it makes players less able to participate as the fight goes on.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
It's almost impossible to answer that without knowing what you're trying to achieve.

Systems that apply penalties when you're wounded tend to promote rocket tag and make getting the first hit (or the first serious hit, anyways) more important than making consistently significant decisions / lucky strikes in across the entire fight. I think most people would see this as a negative, but if you want combat to be brief, lethal, and incentivize players to avoid it without ruling it out or completely abstracting it, maybe it's a positive.

Ewen Cluney
May 8, 2012

Ask me about
Japanese elfgames!
The other day I remembered about the 2d6 Feet in a Random Direction podcast, which it turns out last put out an episode in 2014. Are there any good RPG podcasts people would recommend? I'm mainly interested in, like, industry news and designer interviews.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Mr.Misfit posted:

Wounds systems were written for people who thought HP was too abstracted/unrealistic.

That's basically it. We could go into the relative merits of the two, but essentially the hobby started with HP from D&D, and wounds were branching out from that.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

fool_of_sound posted:

Dungeons and Dragons Three Point Five

Stop this.

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Mr.Misfit posted:

WFRP3E has an objectively good wound system and I would say more about it but I'm phone posting in bed. Also:

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It's almost impossible to answer that without knowing what you're trying to achieve.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Plutonis posted:

Stop this.

What, it has a book for it. Just because said book is bad in a terrible system doesn't make it an invalid suggestion.

That said, you could use Golden Sky Stories, I guess, the Fantasy Friends supplement has rules for D&D style monsters.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Misfit
Jan 10, 2013

The time for
SkellyBones
has come!
I´m working on my homebrew system, a gritty post-not-thirty-years-war game in a world dominated by romano-hellenic seeds in the not-renaissance with a budding not-christianity about people with flaws trying to achieve differing targets, usually as pointed out by their flaw/ambition-mechanic.

As part of this system, I´m currently using a partitioned health level system where one marks a number of boxes on the track from upper row to lower row until a roll on the death table is needed. The original intent for the system was to have a death spiral where people think twice about engaging in combat in a world where opponents can just as easily kill you with a single strike. Typically player characters have between 5 and 10 boxes. It looks as below:

However I´ve found that in practice, this leads to players focusing Constitution and HP instead and building their characters to last and still engage in near-deadly combat instead. I´m unsure if this is a logical player behaviour that circumvents the idea of it or something of emergent behaviour from a single playtest group.

In turn, I thought that a better representation of the damage done might be a partitioned wounds system where players can freely determine the kind of wound but get a maximum number of wounds to take after which they go down, with damage etc. reworked to fit into the three categories in the hope that it makes "damage" stronger in both feeling as well as influence on player behaviour, but fear that this might actually rip out what makes the game attractive, which is the idea that one can engage in dnd-style shenanigans.

The game itself can be found here, but I´m actually not trying to plug my homebrew this time so it´s a bit awkward :D

• Locked thread