Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Macarius Wrench
Mar 28, 2017

by Lowtax
This weekend I'm going to get stoned and attempt to watch the 95 ghost in the shell movie and see if i fall asleep faster than i did watching this snoozer of a movie.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
I didn't see it yet but I saw Kuze in the cast list and if he ever moves his mouth while talking then it's the worst GitS movie ever

Macarius Wrench posted:

This weekend I'm going to get stoned and attempt to watch the 95 ghost in the shell movie and see if i fall asleep faster than i did watching this snoozer of a movie.

Innocence seems like a better choice to watch while stoned

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

Item Getter posted:

it's the worst GitS movie ever

Sorry to disappoint you.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

I myself will carry you to the Gates of Valhalla...
You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Also he's Henry from Dawson's Creek.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love
And he doesn't knife fight Batou

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Zzulu posted:

someone post that video of japanese people reacting with joy to the news that Scarlett would be playing the Major. I feel like it's a nice contrast to all the discussion that is being had by exclusively white dudes on the internet about whitewashing

The concern here is for Japanese Americans not getting proper representation in Hollywood movies, not Japanese people per se, who have their own racial/societal boogaloos to deal with. And I've read enough takes from the people in that demographic to feel some empathy for the disappointment that is clearly evident.

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Zzulu posted:

someone post that video of japanese people reacting with joy to the news that Scarlett would be playing the Major. I feel like it's a nice contrast to all the discussion that is being had by exclusively white dudes on the internet about whitewashing
I'm not white. And I'm real.

Zzulu posted:

Hm, well there are no big asian actresses that people want to pay to see so unfortunately cant have this
Hollywood shoves boring actors, who happen to white, down everyone's throats all the time. It's called grooming stars. Occasionally, they win people over.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

gohmak posted:

And he doesn't knife fight Batou

And Batou doesn't have a standard issue big gun.

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN
People are getting badly mixed up with the race thing because they're scrutinizing decontextualizied images for epicanthal folds and/or taking random stabs at guessing authorial intent.

Instead, just read the films:

Ghost In The Shell 1995's major is Asian, but - like the setting - generic. Is she Japanese or Chinese? She's neither. She's "Asian" - specifically designed to fit into this environment. The setting is a reflection of her character. Motoko has a globalized identity - she is a direct product of the globalization that is gradually wiping out nations and ethnic groups.

THE ADVANCE OF COMPUTERIZATION, HOWEVER, HAS NOT YET WIPED
OUT NATIONS AND ETHNIC GROUPS.

The character has bright blue eyes, additionally, to further show that she is not really Asian. She is a fake, a robot. She is literally produced by a multinational corporation - which makes her, partly, a blue-eyed American.

In other words, put simply, Motoko is mixed-race. This is a major part of her characterization as someone who doesn't really know who she is supposed to be.

Mira in the 2017 film is, again, entirely different, because she is specifically designed to look like an immigrant. She is, by design, a 'baka gaijin' outsider who will sympathize with European immigrants and the European Hanka Robotics corporation. She is specifically designed to be a generic European woman, so that she will not fit in and will instead serve European and American interests overseas.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Apr 6, 2017

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
This post on reddit cites a guy on neogaf who claims to have worked on the film, who said concerning the ending:

"Original ending was kuze and motoko did some sort of digital mind mend as he wanted to live on her memory. All of this was told visually though as the sequence played out a lot like the shelling bit in the beginning but with two minds becoming a new person. Batou comes in after and helps carry motoko away questioning if she's the same or this new person.

This was in the movie for months before it tested poorly for reasons I'm not too sure of. Again this is now why it was changed to just kuze getting shot in the head"

I would like a director's cut of this movie.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

I want to see where Tricky went to from the trailer. He was in Fifth Element as the slightly bumbling Zorg gangster that tries to get on the ship to Phloston Paradise as Korben Dallas.

Ghost

Fifth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzmPZ7ZNJc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricky_(musician)

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Echo Chamber posted:

Hollywood shoves boring actors, who happen to white, down everyone's throats all the time. It's called grooming stars. Occasionally, they win people over.

That Hollywood Reporter roundtable even mentions that the four Japanese American actresses being delighted that Kelly Tran would be getting a bigger role in the upcoming Star Wars movie just because the filmmakers feel confident they can make anyone a star.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Olympic Mathlete posted:

I want to see where Tricky went to from the trailer. He was in Fifth Element as the slightly bumbling Zorg gangster that tries to get on the ship to Phloston Paradise as Korben Dallas.

Ghost

Fifth

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=blzmPZ7ZNJc

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tricky_(musician)

He's on the "Inspired By" soundtrack, which I found out existed last night when a Gary Human song from the album popped up on Facebook.

Mierenneuker
Apr 28, 2010

We're all going to experience changes in our life but only the best of us will qualify for front row seats.

Tricky does have a new song on the soundtrack album, but yeah, definitely didn't see him in the movie. e;f,b

Speaking of which, still no word on a release of the actual score. I wonder what the hold-up on that one is, because I like Clint Mansell's work (and futuristic ambient music).

Lucid Dream
Feb 4, 2003

That boy ain't right.
I think Hollywood's over-reliance on superstars is idiotic and works to the detriment of film in general, but I also think incessantly picking on a specific example is missing the forest for the trees. Big budget movies are backed by people with money, people with money want something safe, super stars have historically been a "safe" bet, so we get this self reinforcing cycle. However, I want to believe that cycle is being slowly dismantled with high profile failures like GITS, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, etc.

gohmak
Feb 12, 2004
cookies need love

Lucid Dream posted:

I think Hollywood's over-reliance on superstars is idiotic and works to the detriment of film in general, but I also think incessantly picking on a specific example is missing the forest for the trees. Big budget movies are backed by people with money, people with money want something safe, super stars have historically been a "safe" bet, so we get this self reinforcing cycle. However, I want to believe that cycle is being slowly dismantled with high profile failures like GITS, The Lone Ranger, Gods of Egypt, etc.

Nah, they just hedge their bets that one makes a billion to cover the other flops.

Mithaldu
Sep 25, 2007

Let's cuddle. :3:
More from that reddit thread:
https://www.reddit.com/r/Ghost_in_the_Shell/comments/63s26p/the_original_ending_with_kuze_before_it_tested/dfwk2tl/

quote:

test screeners are starting to come out the theatrical version was very different from the version they saw. Apparently the test version of the film actually was incredibly philosophical and even had those big atmospheric scenes of the 1995 film. Here's some other changes.

quote:

The most glaring change was the story. The version I saw focused more on the philosophical questions being presented. There was more of a focus (and it was explained better) on the PERMISSION an individual had to give before anyone could access their brain. IT HIT ALOT HARDER in the end when the Dr tells Major that THEY NEVER NEEDED HER PERMISSION. That was altered, and I felt like that scene didnt really mean anything in the theatrical cut. The theatrical version was more about the Major's backstory and her finding out who she was. In the version I saw, that stuff was backseat to the philosophical questions. Yes, she goes to visit her mother, but the ending scenes of her visiting the grave and then telling her mother she didnt have to visit there anymore were tacked on. In fact, in the version I saw she didnt even tell the woman she was her daughter. I can go on and on with the changes guys, but here are a couple of the bigger ones:

The Major's swimming underwater scene was longer (ALOT of the "atmospheric" scenese like this were made shorter.

The interrogation scene was longer, and ALOT better.

She didnt have a FULL BRAIN. In the version I saw, Major only had a partial piece of her brain, further exploring the question "at what point do you stop being human?"

That prostitute/lesbian scene. The version I saw had her interacting with that lady earlier, and it made more sense when she hooked up with her later. IN THE THEATRICAL VERSION, they made it seem like Major just went out and got a hooker to bang...

...GAers in attendance didnt understand the film as I saw it at all, so they made cuts to simplify it.

titanium
Mar 11, 2004

NONE SHALL PASS!
[/quote]

Screener's aren't ever pre-production scenes right? It wouldnt be any work for a directors cut to include these cut scenes vs. "okay now we have to add a ton of effects and color balance all this film"

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Man, I knew I should have just put that content directly in the post I made last night linking to that... :P

But yeah, between that and the guy who said the earlier edit had a "mind meld" scene, I'm thinking that the visuals probably originally included a partial brain in the initial shelling sequence, and then showed that brain becoming whole during the merging sequence, which would have been kind of a cool thing.

edit: ^ yes, but a guy who worked on the FX said that the scene was conveyed visually, so I think the FX for that scene were completed before it was cut.

Elman
Oct 26, 2009

Are we sure that's not just some guy trolling? Are there multiple sources?

If it's true it explains a lot. Hopefully we'll get that director's cut.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
yeah, I mean, there's no way to really substantiate these things yet. So it could be one or more people just making poo poo up.

But I want to believe that there is enough finished footage for a directors cut bluray that will get made to help recoup domestic costs.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:
Before the argument breaks out again, it is now officially canon that Ghost in the Shell (2017) flopped because of whitewashing and that the film's main character was whitewashed not because of whatever bullshit people have said about Motoko Kusanagi being robot and therefore without race or whatever so it doesn't matter but because they decided they decided having an Asian/Asian American star would keep the movie from reaching a mass audience. Direct from Paramount:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-box-office-whitewashing-reviews-1201801224/

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Hey guys, I don't give a poo poo about whitewashing today, I've never seen a Ghost in the Shell movie, have barely watched any anime ever, and have no attachment to the source material whatsoever. Can somebody just tell me if this is a cool sci-fi movie to see for fun tonight?

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Yes.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey guys, I don't give a poo poo about whitewashing today, I've never seen a Ghost in the Shell movie, have barely watched any anime ever, and have no attachment to the source material whatsoever. Can somebody just tell me if this is a cool sci-fi movie to see for fun tonight?

It sucks rear end and is boring as hell (imo imo imo). It's has a lot of pop philosophy level stuff on par with when Raiden is like "Mortal Kombat isn't about death, it's about.....life."

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Yep.

Like any really good film, it's opened up a psychosexual can of worms.

Neo Rasa posted:

Before the argument breaks out again, it is now officially canon that Ghost in the Shell (2017) flopped because of whitewashing and that the film's main character was whitewashed not because of whatever bullshit people have said about Motoko Kusanagi being robot and therefore without race or whatever so it doesn't matter but because they decided they decided having an Asian/Asian American star would keep the movie from reaching a mass audience. Direct from Paramount:

http://www.indiewire.com/2017/04/ghost-in-the-shell-box-office-whitewashing-reviews-1201801224/

You're conflating two things. Everybody already knows that Patamount Pictures is evil and racist, etc. Of course they are.

The film, on the other hand, is only a movie.

SuperMechagodzilla fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Apr 6, 2017

Echo Chamber
Oct 16, 2008

best username/post combo

Drink-Mix Man posted:

Hey guys, I don't give a poo poo about whitewashing today
:smith:

Curious. What would make you care?

SuperMechagodzilla
Jun 9, 2007

NEWT REBORN

Echo Chamber posted:

In my case? Two things:

-For people complaining to actually demonstrate an understanding of antiracist politics.

-For people complaining to demonstrate an ability to read the film(s) in question and incorporate antiracism into their interpretation(s).

Tirranek
Feb 13, 2014

Just came back from seeing this. Aside from the big bad being about as nuanced as a Resident Evil villain, I thought this movie was pretty drat good.

Drink-Mix Man
Mar 4, 2003

You are an odd fellow, but I must say... you throw a swell shindig.

Echo Chamber posted:

:smith:

I guess a more accurate statement would be that I do care but I just wanted to steer the conversation toward an assessment of the film's merits outside of that so I can see if it's just worth a casual Joe Schmoe movie night with a friend.

Alan_Shore
Dec 2, 2004

I'd definitely revisit the director's cut with all that poo poo put back in (if it's even real that is). Sounds like a much more interesting film. If they really did drastically re-cut the film that explains why it felt so empty.

Just listen to that Paramount exec tho:

“We had hopes for better results domestically. I think the conversation regarding casting impacted the reviews,” said Davies, Paramount’s domestic distribution chief. “You’ve got a movie that is very important to the fanboys since it’s based on a Japanese anime movie. So you’re always trying to thread that needle between honoring the source material and make a movie for a mass audience. That’s challenging, but clearly the reviews didn’t help.”

The balls on this rear end in a top hat! "Well we want to honor the source material, but y'know we can't have a yellow person in the lead for a mass audience! I mean, you know what I'm saying, right? Also those mean reviews!"

Drink-Mix Man posted:

I guess a more accurate statement would be that I do care but I just wanted to steer the conversation toward an assessment of the film's merits outside of that so I can see if it's just worth a casual Joe Schmoe movie night with a friend.

I found the film pretty but SUPER boring. But let us know what you think!

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Going back a little, but regarded where GitS17 is located:

As someone who's lived in East Asia for several years, spent a lot of time in HK and a fair bit of time in different parts of Japan, it's really hard for me not to think of the city as Hong Kong and harder to think of it as Japan. Aside from a lot of notable landmarks being represented, and the distinctive skyline and harbor views being prominently displayed, there's a lot of little cultural things that are just culturally distinctive to Hong Kong, or distinctively not Japanese. The two most prominent being the graveyard and street signage. The iconic HK style graveyard could be a limitation of shooting in Hong Kong, but the signage leaning heavily toward chinese characters, Korean, and English with almost no Japanese, like in HK, as opposed to being primarily Japanese and Chinese forms as in Japan is an odd choice.

Also interesting to note, despite adding digital buildings to fill in some of the greener parks and imply urban expansion, they left all those landmarks uncovered (aside from holograms that don't really obscure at all). I'm not sure if they're tossing away it being Japan entirely, or if they're going with the comic's wacky future geography where most of East Asia is now part of Japan or what, but there you go.

Someone also asked if it being in HK makes the diversity present more plausible... and yes, technically. HK is very diverse compared to much of Asia, with a large western population on the island especially, though that diversity is extreeemely economically stratified. I don't think it really touches the issue of whitewashing though. I don't know why the plausibility of the race swap would make it better or worse?

an skeleton
Apr 23, 2012

scowls @ u

Drink-Mix Man posted:

100% yes

Squinty
Aug 12, 2007

SuperMechagodzilla posted:

In my case? Two things:

-For people complaining to actually demonstrate an understanding of antiracist politics.

-For people complaining to demonstrate an ability to read the film(s) in question and incorporate antiracism into their interpretation(s).

Casting Scarlet Johansson to deliver an antiracist message seems about as effective as spending $100m+ on an anticapitalist Hollywood blockbuster.

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Squinty posted:

Casting Scarlet Johansson to deliver an antiracist message seems about as effective as spending $100m+ on an anticapitalist Hollywood blockbuster.

Elysium cost 115 million.

Or is that the joke?

Also things are allowed to be good even if they're being produced by a giant capitalist death-machine (sent from my Iphone)

Snowman_McK
Jan 31, 2010

Echo Chamber posted:

I'm not white. And I'm real.

I am a tall, straight, white man, and even I'm loving sick of pretending that Sam Worthington/Joel Kinnamon/Jai Courteny/Any of the Chris' and or Hemsworths are going to matter in two years, or are anything other than completely interchangeable.

Young Freud
Nov 26, 2006

Good news everyone. Kenji Kamiyama has reveal a new Ghost In the Shell animated project in the works.

Bad news: Shinji Aramaki is involved.

Bugblatter
Aug 4, 2003

Young Freud posted:

Good news everyone. Kenji Kamiyama has reveal a new Ghost In the Shell animated project in the works.

Bad news: Shinji Aramaki is involved.

Well, that was a short rollercoaster of a post.

Snak
Oct 10, 2005

You will ride eternal,
shiny and chrome.
Grimey Drawer
Uh... I kinda liked all the Appleseed movies... I mean, Alpha was pretty dumb. But it looked real cool.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steve Yun
Aug 7, 2003
I'm a parasitic landlord that needs to get a job instead of stealing worker's money. Make sure to remind me when I post.
Soiled Meat
Kamiyama and Aramaki will co-direct:
http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2017-04-06/ghost-in-the-shell-gets-new-anime-from-kenji-kamiyama-shinji-aramaki/.114481

• Locked thread