Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

raditts posted:

Wasn't the whole TGIF lineup a shared universe?

I believe so, since Urkel also guested on Step By Step.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lobok
Jul 13, 2006

Say Watt?

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

I believe so, since Urkel also guested on Step By Step.

quote:

Steve got involved in a rope climbing contest against a jock to try and win the love of Laura, the girl of his dreams. With athletics not being his strong suit, Steve decided to use his brains to win the contest and built a rocket pack to help him win. Of course, since he's a genius and all, you might think he'd realize that was CHEATING!!! But of course where would the comedy be without the rocket pack? The rocket pack helps Steve up the rope, through the roof and up into the wild blue yonder. At 50,000 feet no one could here his plaintive cries of, "Like Icarus I built wings of wax have flown too close to the sun and now will surely die!!!" Or maybe he just went, "WAAAAA!!! OH LADY!!!" Who can say?

He flew so high and far that he flew right out of his own show and crash down onto Step By Step careening into the middle of a family barbecue and their picnic table. This meant he also actually flew from Chicago, Illinois (Setting of Family Matters) all the way to Port Washington, Wisconsin (Setting of Step By Step). That's about 117 miles. So he blew through a roof, roared largely unprotected through the stratosphere for 117 miles and then crunched down into a hard table not only alive but almost entirely unscathed.

http://www.poobala.com/familyandstep.html

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

And then he taught the youngest daughter of the Lambert clan the Urkel dance so all the kids at the Jr. High school would think she was cool again, without her having to succumb to peer pressure!

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

raditts posted:

Wasn't the whole TGIF lineup a shared universe? I wonder if Disney will try to mine that one for team-up movies when Marvel finally burns itself out.

It's kind of funny these days to imagine a successful and popular Friday night TV lineup.
Yeah. There was some shared storyline that went through Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Boy Meets World, You Wish (Remember that?), and whatever else there was. The Sabrina episode had a different ending shot for syndication that wrapped the storyline up at the end of the episode, I don't k ow if the other shows had enough of their own thing going on to get away with that.

Steve destroyed Carl's roof with the rocket pack.

John Wick of Dogs
Mar 4, 2017

A real hellraiser

They all crossed over multiple times.

Fried Watermelon
Dec 29, 2008

Ammanas posted:

Those markets and Valerian don't really overlap though. I doubt Valerian clears 80mil in US receipts

I agree, I was just commenting on how she is a well known name.

I honestly don't know who the market is for Valerian, the trailer makes it look like Jupiter Ascending and John Carter (I had to google this because I forgot what the movie was called). It just looks like a generic sci-fi with a worse trailer song than Guardians of the Galaxy.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
I can't articulate why but I'm really rooting for Valerian and I'll be disappointed if it doesn't do well. I've never read the comics and I'm not especially fond of the actors and I haven't even watched anything Luc Besson has made since Fifth Element except Lucy and that left me pretty cold but I'm hoping that Valerian turns out good.

Please be good, little film. :ohdear:

Fried Watermelon posted:

I honestly don't know who the market is for Valerian, the trailer makes it look like Jupiter Ascending and John Carter (I had to google this because I forgot what the movie was called). It just looks like a generic sci-fi with a worse trailer song than Guardians of the Galaxy.

There's been a bunch of films that failed recently even though they had pretty good brand recognition (Ghost in the Shell, Trainspotting 2, The Magnificent Seven, Ghostbusters, The BFG, etc) but there's also been a few films that were seemed to be painfully generic that did extremely well (Secret Life of Pets, Sing, Trolls) and a bunch of low budget genre films that just blew up (Get Out, Split, Deadpool) as well as a few films based on IPS that had fan recognition but weren't widely popular that also did really well (Deadpool, The Martian, John Wick 2... I guess also The Jungle Book?). I think it's getting harder to predict what will do well and what will just quietly fall by the wayside.

Len
Jan 21, 2008

Pouches, bandages, shoulderpad, cyber-eye...

Bitchin'!

My favorite thing about Fifth Element is that it's now trendy to have you hair styled after Zorg.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gonz posted:

I can't decide who has the crazier eyebrow game: Cara Delevingne or Emilia Clarke.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0AUac4z2HTU
the correct answer is Peter Gallagher

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

God my daughter has been asking for that haircut too. Luc Besson and Gary Oldman, trendsetters two decades ahead of their time.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Fried Watermelon posted:

I agree, I was just commenting on how she is a well known name.

John Carter was actually really good and it's a shame Disney mishandled it so badly. It could have used a bit more action but its a ton of fun.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice

marshmallow creep posted:

God my daughter has been asking for that haircut too. Luc Besson and Gary Oldman, trendsetters two decades ahead of their time.

Jem and the Holograms had them beat by well over a decade:

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Ammanas posted:

John Carter was actually really good and it's a shame Disney mishandled it so badly. It could have used a bit more action but its a ton of fun.

I really wanted to like it but it felt like somebody stretched the desert planet scenes from the end of Attack of the Clones out to feature length.

Dr Monkeysee
Oct 11, 2002

just a fox like a hundred thousand others
Nap Ghost
I'm finding these TGIF shared universe posts fascinating.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
i start screaming in horror when i realized... today is friday and we were part of the shared universe all along

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Thank god.

Phylodox
Mar 30, 2006

College Slice
I remember taping the Urkel dance and learning all the moves. I thought it would make me cool.

The worst part?

It did.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Phylodox posted:

Jem and the Holograms had them beat by well over a decade:

The gently caress happened with that movie. So bland, so mediocre. So not Jem.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

You'd think the guy who made both a GI Joe movie and a Justin Bieber concert film would know how to put together Jem and the Holograms.

At least casting Ke$ha as a glow in the dark sewer mutant for the credits scene was a step in the right direction?

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Dr Monkeysee posted:

People watched Die Hard and loved Al so much that they then proceeded to watch him for 10 more years, even when he got upstaged by Urkel.

Apparently Urkel Dance is from the episode in which some bullies get him drunk and then he falls off the roof of a building.

Casimir Radon fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Apr 7, 2017

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"

Punkin Spunkin posted:

the correct answer is Peter Gallagher

It goes without saying that Peter Gallagher is the God Emperor of Eyebrows and always has been.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Gonz posted:

It goes without saying that Peter Gallagher is the God Emperor of Eyebrows and always has been.

Guy Mann
Mar 28, 2016

by Lowtax

Dr Monkeysee posted:

After Disney bought ABC they did a huge crossover/marketing synergy event where all of the different shows all went to Disneyland. Including Roseanne, which really conspicuously went against its entire theme of being about a working-class family that struggled to make ends meet.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

moist

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

People watched Die Hard and loved Al so much that they then proceeded to watch him for 10 more years, even when he got upstaged by Urkel.

Apparently Urkel Dance is from the episode in which some bullies get him drunk and then he falls off the roof of a building.

Family Matters is actually a prequel to Die Hard, Urkel was the kid he shot.

Electromax
May 6, 2007

Casimir Radon posted:

I assume this was posted already, but I didn't see it in last couple pages:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5Zdp1RfoyI

Iron Crowned
May 6, 2003

by Hand Knit

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

:vince:

LesterGroans
Jun 9, 2009

It's funny...

You were so scary at night.

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

He had a ray gun, looked real enough.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

LesterGroans posted:

He had a ray gun, looked real enough.

*coughing up blood* did... did I do that?

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Who was it that had an avatar + text that was like a photoshop of al + "honey i pwnd a kid"

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

They're definitely throwing a lot of marketing money at Valerian as two channels last week (FX and Syfy) both aired the new trailer in its entirety during commercial breaks.

Tars Tarkas
Apr 13, 2003

Rock the Mok

A nasty woman, I think you should try is, Jess.

Snooze Cruise posted:

i start screaming in horror when i realized... today is friday and we were part of the shared universe all along

You joke but then...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0eTQ_xqcziI

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib

Cacator posted:

I saw Hardcore Henry in the theatre and I forgot about it two hours later.

This might be due to the epileptic seizure it caused.

Capn Jobe
Jan 18, 2003

That's right. Here it is. But it's like you always have compared the sword, the making of the sword, with the making of the character. Cuz the stronger, the stronger it will get, right, the stronger the steel will get, with all that, and the same as with the character.
Soiled Meat
One of the best things about Hardcore Henry (which, since everyone's giving opinions, I enjoyed) was in an interview with the directory shortly after the US release. I'm paraphrasing, but the interviewer asked him if he thought first-person cinema was a thing that was going to catch on. And the director replied with, more or less, "God I hope not."

It was a fun experiment, but boy howdy would it suck to have FPS movies be the Next Big Thing.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Capn Jobe posted:

One of the best things about Hardcore Henry (which, since everyone's giving opinions, I enjoyed) was in an interview with the directory shortly after the US release. I'm paraphrasing, but the interviewer asked him if he thought first-person cinema was a thing that was going to catch on. And the director replied with, more or less, "God I hope not."

It was a fun experiment, but boy howdy would it suck to have FPS movies be the Next Big Thing.
Admitting that something is a gimmick and not getting completely up your own rear end about how what you've done is an absolute game changer is really really refreshing.

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

Shageletic posted:

People keep saying this but I thought the Jem movie was awesome?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2vZyMZnoxtA

K. Waste
Feb 27, 2014

MORAL:
To the vector belong the spoils.

Shageletic posted:

They tried to spin it as a young adult sci-fi twist on the Step Up franchise, and it didn't take.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

marshmallow creep posted:

It was a common hair cut of the brown shirts back in 1930s Germany.

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

Every man had undercut in the 1930s. Not so many drew the line on top of their head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Saddest Rhino
Apr 29, 2009

Put it all together.
Solve the world.
One conversation at a time.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I34cljQQ7YA

• Locked thread