Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
What regions belong in the Pacific Northwest?
Alaska, US
British Columbia, CA
Washington, US
Oregon, US
Idaho, US
Montana, US
Wyoming, US
California, US (MODS PLEASE BAN ANYONE VOTING FOR THIS OPTION TIA)
View Results

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012
I BELIEVE IN STUPID CONSPIRACY THEORIES

Senor P. posted:

So why are they taxed the same?

No one's seen fit to weight tax liability according to hours-worked. I haven't even really seen argumentation along those lines. Seems like it'd be more trouble than it's worth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
There are deductions and adjustments for loving everything, why not that?

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

twodot posted:

If you're working long hours it's either because 1) You want to work long hours or 2) You need to work long hours to live. People who 1) perhaps need therapy, but I don't see why they deserve a tax break and people who 2) should fall below whatever minimum income is for our state income tax, and therefore not be concerned about how overtime is taxed.

Uh, dude, seriously? How can you not realize that there are folks who are on the regular told to work OT without a choice?

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Because it would be impossible to manage and tax policy is usually altered for a reason. Which jobs are 'hard work'? Do you want to go through and make catagories for all of them? And wouldn't this open up situations where someone is paid a lower salary but 'works' 100 hours a week to avoid taxes?
It's not worth messing with. If you want to help blue collar workers, reduce sales taxes, tax higher incomes, and use that money for expanded services and health care.
Edit: Not to mention that removing taxes on OT will make it more desirable and reduce available jobs.

Peachfart fucked around with this message at 23:35 on Apr 7, 2017

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Peachfart posted:

Because it would be impossible to manage and tax policy is usually altered for a reason. Which jobs are 'hard work'? Do you want to go through and make catagories for all of them? And wouldn't this open up situations where someone is paid a lower salary but 'works' 100 hours a week to avoid taxes?
It's not worth messing with. If you want to help blue collar workers, reduce sales taxes, tax higher incomes, and use that money for expanded services and health care.

Also a hypothetical state income tax should let you deduct rent.

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

twodot posted:

If you're working long hours it's either because 1) You want to work long hours or 2) You need to work long hours to live. People who 1) perhaps need therapy, but I don't see why they deserve a tax break and people who 2) should fall below whatever minimum income is for our state income tax, and therefore not be concerned about how overtime is taxed.

There are some industries and facilities are are required to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (Like powerplants for electricity and gas distrubtion for heat) preferrably without unscheduled shutdowns.

Dragging up and walking out because you don't want to work more than 40 hours even though you're in the middle of an emergency overhaul of the plant, is generally not 'acceptable'.

People die when the electricity cuts out or when they can't heat their houses.

So yes, sometimes 50-60-70 hours per week for some amount of time is mandatory.

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Javid posted:

There are deductions and adjustments for loving everything, why not that?

It'd amount to a messily administered tax-cut to the rich, mainly, and we have enough of that poo poo.

You're discussing tax law so the real question is, "Why?"

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Senor P. posted:

There are some industries and facilities are are required to run 24 hours a day, 7 days a week. (Like powerplants for electricity and gas distrubtion for heat) preferrably without unscheduled shutdowns.

Dragging up and walking out because you don't want to work more than 40 hours even though you're in the middle of an emergency overhaul of the plant, is generally not 'acceptable'.

If this is happening constantly, then they need to hire more people. This isn't rocket science.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Senor P. posted:

It sounds like these places should hire more staff, instead of overworking their employees.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

I'm going to guess that 99.999% of people paid for labor on an hourly basis aren't the kind of rich people we need to be taxing more.

Ardlen posted:

It sounds like these places should hire more staff, instead of overworking their employees.

As if every company literally ever doesn't hire the bare minimum amount of staff to not go down in flames.

I would love for minimum staffing laws to be a thing, really.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

You are objectively correct that this person is dumb and has said dumb things

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, dude, seriously? How can you not realize that there are folks who are on the regular told to work OT without a choice?
Those people are either working for a living in which case they won't be taxed by any proposed Washington state income tax, or can afford to quit.

Senor P. posted:

You're choosing to work in that industry. If your industry isn't adequately paying you for your time, either negotiate better pay or shut up.

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

Jack2142 posted:

This... would be difficult. Remember: we are talking about a small percentage of the income made over 50k. Rent should be covered by 50k, so why would it be exempt?

Senor P.
Mar 27, 2006
I MUST TELL YOU HOW PEOPLE CARE ABOUT STUFF I DONT AND BE A COMPLETE CUNT ABOUT IT

twodot posted:

Those people are either working for a living in which case they won't be taxed by any proposed Washington state income tax, or can afford to quit.

You're choosing to work in that industry. If your industry isn't adequately paying you for your time, either negotiate better pay or shut up.

Yes, choosing to work at the only place I could get work, because I had just gotten my notice! That was certainly a choice. (Get off your loving high horse.)

Accretionist
Nov 7, 2012

Javid posted:

I'm going to guess that 99.999% of people paid for labor on an hourly basis aren't the kind of rich people we need to be taxing more.

Everyone with influence over their own hours would game this poo poo.

Javid posted:

I would love for minimum staffing laws to be a thing, really.

Or maximum overtime laws.

Jack2142 posted:

That's why everyone's first $0 to $10,000 or so is taxed at 0%.

Edit: If you want to lower taxes on the lower/middle class, cut regressive taxes or shift tax-revenue from regressive to progressive taxes to redistribute liability up the income gradient.

Accretionist fucked around with this message at 23:52 on Apr 7, 2017

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

twodot posted:

Ah yes, because people working hourly can simply walk out of a job that isn't treating them fairly.

Ardlen
Sep 30, 2005
WoT

Javid posted:

Ah yes, because people working hourly can simply walk out of a job that isn't treating them fairly.
This is the exact problem that unions are meant to address.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

If people held corporations to the same level of skepticism they held their governments to, Senor P would have twice as many co-workers.

...in fact I'm not convinced there isn't a labor violation going on there right now, if things truly are as described.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

And sometimes is seen a strange spot in the sky
A human being that was given to fly

Senor P. posted:

My dad did shutdowns at paper mills as a welder 30 years ago. I think his longest shift was something like 30 hours. He doesn't have poo poo to show for it and the mill owners are loving loaded. These work conditions are bullshit, and not something we should just live with.

You talk about 70k for a software job, but that was what I made out of college 10 years ago. It would be a loving joke now. You are not benefiting from current tax structure. It is designed by people richer than me, so that they can pay as little as possible. There is a reason that 2 of the 8 richest people live in the Seattle area. The tax structure benefits them. They are the ones the convince you that an income tax is bad. They are not your friend.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

Senor P. posted:

Yes, choosing to work at the only place I could get work, because I had just gotten my notice! That was certainly a choice. (Get off your loving high horse.)
You're making 70k a year, if you can't afford to quit that's on you.

Javid posted:

People working hourly that make 70k a year can simply walk out of a job that isn't treating them fairly.

Jack2142
Jul 17, 2014

Shitposting in Seattle

Accretionist posted:

That's why everyone's first $0 to $10,000 or so is taxed at 0%.

Edit: If you want to lower taxes on the lower/middle class, cut regressive taxes or shift tax-revenue from regressive to progressive taxes to redistribute liability up the income gradient.

I dont disagree with you, the tax system does need an overhaul, however good luck passing comprehensive tax reform thats not regressive as gently caress in the near future.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.

Senor P. posted:

I still think this is an East vs. West problem. How many rich people live in say the greater Seattle area compared to East of the cascades? How much money is anchored on that rich enclave, Mercer Island? The fact of the matter, most of the money is on the West Side.

With the exception of wineries, electricity, and Hanford. The East ain't got poo poo. (There are a few small time manufacturing operations and mining, but not a lot.) Most of Washington's trade goes West across the Pacific Ocean, or South to California.

Farm country and tumbleweeds are not exactly flush with cash.

You are correct that a state income tax would be a greater burden on Western Washington than Eastern vs. sales and property taxes. I think we all agree the fat cats in Mercer Island need to pay their fair share to support the state at large.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

twodot posted:

You're making 70k a year, if you can't afford to quit that's on you.

People working hourly that make 70k a year can simply walk out of a job that isn't treating them fairly.

This is a pretty lovely stance to take. You have no clue what his circumstances are. He might be paying down huge medical debt for all you know. People working are not the enemy here.

George
Nov 27, 2004

No love for your made-up things.
Yeah folks need to chill about this. I sympathize with his point that not all $70k incomes are created equal but it's so easy to abuse what he's proposing that I think the solution has to lie elsewhere in the tax code.

RuanGacho
Jun 20, 2002

"You're gunna break it!"

George posted:

Yeah folks need to chill about this. I sympathize with his point that not all $70k incomes are created equal but it's so easy to abuse what he's proposing that I think the solution has to lie elsewhere in the tax code.

"Mr Gates you plan to die with a normal wealth level and I would like to build The Daedalus Ladder. We can call it the Gates if you like."

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

twodot posted:

Uh, you can be working insane hours while being salaried at 60k. And just walk off the job? Most people in this country are living paycheck to paycheck as it is, so how can you consider this a realistic option for so many?

Ardlen posted:

This is the exact problem that unions are meant to address.

No poo poo my friend, but good luck setting one up or not being excluded because your job as an analyst "advises management" and is thus exempt from the bargaining unit. I've actually tried this by the way, it's incredibly difficult and relies on all of your coworkers being willing to take a huge risk and not fall prey to the massive anti-union campaign to follow.

I don't want to get into my own details, but I really wish folks here would shut up and listen to the people who actually experience these working conditions rather than telling them that their experiences are wrong.

Also, many of you seem to have forgotten that I am in favor of an income tax.

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, you can be working insane hours while being salaried at 60k.

Some industries go through demand cycles. That's a real bitch to staff for in the long term. In bad times I do 60 to 80 hours a week. Good times like 30. As long as one gets the good and bad its ok. But the new trend is oh it's slow we are flying you to X for several weeks.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DevNull posted:

This is a pretty lovely stance to take. You have no clue what his circumstances are. He might be paying down huge medical debt for all you know. People working are not the enemy here.
People opposing progressive income taxes are specifically the enemy. If you want to propose a medical debt tax deduction, I'll listen.

Solkanar512 posted:

Uh, you can be working insane hours while being salaried at 60k. And just walk off the job? Most people in this country are living paycheck to paycheck as it is, so how can you consider this a realistic option for so many?
70k a year for a single earner is median household income + ~30%, so yeah, just save your extra 30% income and quit. The people living paycheck to paycheck aren't the people we're proposing to tax.

Solkanar512
Dec 28, 2006

by the sex ghost

BrandorKP posted:

Some industries go through demand cycles. That's a real bitch to staff for in the long term. In bad times I do 60 to 80 hours a week. Good times like 30. As long as one gets the good and bad its ok. But the new trend is oh it's slow we are flying you to X for several weeks.

No, they fire massive amounts of people while buying back billions of dollars in stock instead of having 30 hour weeks.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

twodot posted:

People opposing progressive income taxes are specifically the enemy.

Capitalists are the enemy, not workers.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DevNull posted:

Capitalists are the enemy, not workers.
Capitalists and people supporting the interests of capitalists, also known as people opposed to progressive income taxes. If they only thing between me and the workers' revolution is delusional workers, I'm not stopping to convince them.

DevNull
Apr 4, 2007

twodot posted:

Capitalists and people supporting the interests of capitalists, also known as people opposed to progressive income taxes. If they only thing between me and the workers' revolution is delusional workers, I'm not stopping to convince them.

Good luck with your workers revolution that doesn't actually include any workers.

twodot
Aug 7, 2005

DevNull posted:

Good luck with your workers revolution that doesn't actually include any workers.
If all workers are delusional and support capitalists' interests then there's probably at least one more thing between me and a workers' revolution than the entirety of Earth's population.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum
*sees taxes get suggested* You Bitch Mother Fucker *sees capitalists exploiting the working class through wage theft* Wlel, that's his beliefs and I respect that

Error 404
Jul 17, 2009

MAGE CURES PLOT

anthonypants posted:

*sees taxes get suggested* You Bitch Mother Fucker *sees capitalists exploiting the working class through wage theft* Wlel, that's his beliefs and I respect that

Put this in the op tia

GodFish
Oct 10, 2012

We're your first, last, and only line of defense. We live in secret. We exist in shadow.

And we dress in black.

Error 404 posted:

Put this in the op tia

DR FRASIER KRANG
Feb 4, 2005

"Are you forgetting that just this afternoon I was punched in the face by a turtle now dead?

BrandorKP posted:

I work in a product testing environment and you better believe that layoffs come on strong when we wrap up testing a specific program.

On the one hand, my union is what gets me the wages & benefits I enjoy that other non-union employees don't get. However, what a union won't do is protect you from getting laid off if you're the new guy.

I like to espouse the benefits of labor unions, but it's pretty frustrating how they protect senior workers who often suck total rear end at their jobs (and they know they can't get fired or laid off so whatever dude I'm taking two naps today).

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

I just wonder about the lack of heart someone must have to panic and have a breakdown because an income tax that only affects a small percentage of income over 50k is suggested, and to use part of it to lower sales taxes to assist the poor.
Pretty sure if you made like 70k a year it wouldn't even cost you anything.
Let's use 5%. 5% of 20k is 1000 dollars. It would almost certainly be less than that due to credits, reductions from federal taxes, not to mention the reduction in sales taxes that I proposed.
But ignoring all that, if you are making 70k/year, you can afford it. And the richer you are, the more you can afford it.

anthonypants
May 6, 2007

by Nyc_Tattoo
Dinosaur Gum

Peachfart posted:

I just wonder about the lack of heart someone must have to panic and have a breakdown because an income tax that only affects a small percentage of income over 50k is suggested, and to use part of it to lower sales taxes to assist the poor.
Pretty sure if you made like 70k a year it wouldn't even cost you anything.
Let's use 5%. 5% of 20k is 1000 dollars. It would almost certainly be less than that due to credits, reductions from federal taxes, not to mention the reduction in sales taxes that I proposed.
But ignoring all that, if you are making 70k/year, you can afford it. And the richer you are, the more you can afford it.
Actually, if I can direct your attention to this Wall Street Journal infographic for a second,

Peachfart
Jan 21, 2017

anthonypants posted:

Actually, if I can direct your attention to this Wall Street Journal infographic for a second,

I disagree with corgi killing, but the rest? eh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bar Ran Dun
Jan 22, 2006

Solkanar512 posted:

No, they fire massive amounts of people while buying back billions of dollars in stock instead of having 30 hour weeks.

Not for me specifically (not for profit) but yes generally.