Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

fadam posted:

Is there a way to scan monsters for weaknesses other than just testing each element one by one?

Makoto rank 7 does something like that, from the OP text. I don't have her there yet so I don't know how it works in practice though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Moltrey posted:

The Persona 4 Extended Universe is dubious at best

also if you didn't name yourself The Gang⭐Stars you fake as hell
I named my team Stolen Heart. It was a bit on the nose.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
Wow, Sae, you're kind of a bitch.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

fadam posted:

Is there a way to scan monsters for weaknesses other than just testing each element one by one?

Fuse them ahead of time. Or if you really want to be crazy, look through the compendium by level and note their weaknesses and silhouette

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah she has some "woah what the the gently caress lady" moments.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

JT Jag posted:

I named my team Stolen Heart. It was a bit on the nose.

Meanwhile I went for the turbonerd reference and named my group Tantalus. :v:

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I'm in the December dungeon and the game is rad. Goro is the best boy.

Ceramics
May 26, 2014

Dang some people are so far already. Been playing this nonstop and I'm still grinding a little money in the 3rd dungeon like 45 hours in lol. though a good 5 of those are probably idle time,

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Anyone know if/where you can buy Black weapons? I found where you buy Black accessories and you can get Black armor from fishing, but idk where to get weapons.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
i need to meet goro so bad, but im only at like 5/15

YoshiOfYellow posted:

i get this and it's good

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I don't know that that's really more turbonerd than playing this series in the first place.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

Infinity Gaia posted:

Anyone know if/where you can buy Black weapons? I found where you buy Black accessories and you can get Black armor from fishing, but idk where to get weapons.

Are those significant

I found some kind of Black Kodasomething for the protagonist and it seemed rather weak. The name and description seemed odd so I decided to keep it. This was in the first Palace I think.

Also I really do not understand the fixation on Goro. The chalk drawing of him in the classroom was super good though.

Kalsco
Jul 26, 2012

Question: I've never played Persona before. How concerned do I have to be with time management? Handling day phases, days, etc. ? Can I make this unwinnable, or, might I just have to restart at some point?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

Kalsco posted:

Question: I've never played Persona before. How concerned do I have to be with time management? Handling day phases, days, etc. ? Can I make this unwinnable, or, might I just have to restart at some point?

In the event that you somehow gently caress up bad enough that you hit your deadlines (which is hard in this game, since they remind you fairly regularly), Igor rewinds time a week for you, so not really.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Here's a cool twitter thread that goes in depth about those Sun God demonstrators in Shibuya and what they're based on

https://twitter.com/iiotenki/status/850455117442797568

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Captain Oblivious posted:

Are those significant

I found some kind of Black Kodasomething for the protagonist and it seemed rather weak. The name and description seemed odd so I decided to keep it. This was in the first Palace I think.

Also I really do not understand the fixation on Goro. The chalk drawing of him in the classroom was super good though.

You use them later as materials to make special Persona equipment in the Velvet Room.

Edit: Found em, the junk store sells them after the option is unlocked.

Infinity Gaia fucked around with this message at 00:30 on Apr 8, 2017

Wrist Watch
Apr 19, 2011

What?

BaDandy posted:

Wait, where's the other vending machine? I found the one outside the bathhouse but that's it.

That's one I hadn't found yet actually, so there's at least three.

One of the ones I found was in the underground shopping mall I think, but I forgot to make a note of where exactly. The other is far easier to find, in the school. You know that outsideish walkway in the back of the first floor that also leads to the gymnasium? Near the exit on the right there's a nook with a few machines, the one on the left sells the SP restoratives.

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

SettingSun posted:

I have never burned out on a Persona game faster than trying a fresh 100% run. It sucks all of the fun out of the game.

I'm using the KillScottKill walk through for my first playthrough.

Come at me.

Heath
Apr 30, 2008

🍂🎃🏞️💦

Moltrey posted:

The Persona 4 Extended Universe is dubious at best

also if you didn't name yourself The Gang⭐Stars you fake as hell

Fight me

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
I named my team Diamond Dogs.

We're vultures, we hide behind trees.

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

BaDandy posted:

Wait, where's the other vending machine? I found the one outside the bathhouse but that's it.

Bathhouse, school courtyard, arcade in shibuya are the ones I'm aware of (though I presume there's one in the red light district I haven't looked closely at the machines there)

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
So far I think P4's main cast was better, but P5's supporting cast is better.

I do really like the main cast in P5 though.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Yeah around 7/9 she's just kind of being a huge rear end in a top hat to Makoto for no reason and it's kind of making me hate her? Like she's just kind of this huge piece of poo poo from everything I've seen.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I enjoy being in such a rush I can't even buy something from a vending machine on the way to my destination

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Yeah around 7/9 she's just kind of being a huge rear end in a top hat to Makoto for no reason and it's kind of making me hate her? Like she's just kind of this huge piece of poo poo from everything I've seen.

There's a reason, the story picks up and run really fast once you pick up Haru.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

theblackw0lf posted:

So far I think P4's main cast was better, but P5's supporting cast is better.

I do really like the main cast in P5 though.
Same vibe I'm getting. I'm really liking the supporting confidants in P5.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
On a character list with the playable characters, I would have half the p5 cast on top, but also a couple at the bottom, with most of p4 in between.

That's my feeling after beating the game.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Show them your inner man.

W.T. Fits
Apr 21, 2010

Ready to Poyozo Dance all over your face.
For the Moon Confidant, does having a Persona of the corresponding Arcana help with ranking it up faster, or is it entirely based on your progress in fulfilling Requests?

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

W.T. Fits posted:

For the Moon Confidant, does having a Persona of the corresponding Arcana help with ranking it up faster, or is it entirely based on your progress in fulfilling Requests?

It and Sun are apparently purely "1 rank 1 visit" deals.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

Supremezero posted:

It and Sun are apparently purely "1 rank 1 visit" deals.
Moon and Sun rise consistently, fitting

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

(Dungeon 2 complaining stuff) I'm sure this has been said a lot, but I really really don't like how it forces you out of a dungeon after making a certain amount of progress. I get the general idea, but it's really bad in practice.

Neeksy
Mar 29, 2007

Hej min vän, hur står det till?
What's the deal with the black rock and the black kogatana? It says they can transmutate but have no real effects or good stats, I'm guessing I have to do something with them eventually?

Is laundering the grimy, tarnished, gold-tainted armor worth it or just gonna give me low-level stuff that's not even worth selling?

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Neeksy posted:

What's the deal with the black rock and the black kogatana? It says they can transmutate but have no real effects or good stats, I'm guessing I have to do something with them eventually?

Is laundering the grimy, tarnished, gold-tainted armor worth it or just gonna give me low-level stuff that's not even worth selling?

They're used later on to transform into persona sacrifice gear. Just hold onto it for now, it'll become clear when they're used.

As to the second question, you can get some pretty good stuff out of it, but I'd wait until you have 4 dirty items AND Teach's S.Link high enough that she'll do it for you. You'll probably still get more than 5k worth of gear out of it in the worst case scenario, and at best you'll get some very cheap upgrades.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Saagonsa posted:

(Dungeon 2 complaining stuff) I'm sure this has been said a lot, but I really really don't like how it forces you out of a dungeon after making a certain amount of progress. I get the general idea, but it's really bad in practice.

It's pretty bad in dungeon 2. Dungeon 3 doesn't do it at all though, so hopefully the rest of the game follows suit.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

SyntheticPolygon posted:

It's pretty bad in dungeon 2. Dungeon 3 doesn't do it at all though, so hopefully the rest of the game follows suit.

Dungeon 4 doesn't either.

I actually appreciated the break in Dungeon 2, meant I could be a lot more lax about my SP usage. I actually wish all of them had mid-breaks like that, but obviously balance the S.Links around it.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

So I was really down on Makoto from the very moment she was first introduced, all through the Dungeon 3 run-up

And then she summoned her Persona

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

JT Jag posted:

So I was really down on Makoto from the very moment she was first introduced, all through the Dungeon 3 run-up

And then she summoned her Persona

Repent, sinner.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Uh Makoto always owned, did you not catch her following you

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Makotowns, in my opinion