Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So The Boss Baby is basically the exact same as Demon: The Descent when you think about it

Nice try, but you're not going to convince me to watch Boss Baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

One must die and one must live. No victory, no defeat. The survivor will carry on the fight. It is our destiny... The one who survives will inherit the title of Boss Baby. And the one who inherits the title of Boss Baby will face an existence of endless battle.

The Vosgian Beast
Aug 13, 2011

Business is slow

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Nice try, but you're not going to convince me to watch Boss Baby.

Wikipedia posted:

A man named Timothy Templeton (Tobey Maguire) tells a story through his imaginative point of view as his seven year old self (Miles Christopher Bakshi) who lives his days having fun with his parents, Ted (Jimmy Kimmel) and Janice (Lisa Kudrow), and wishes it to be just the three of them forever. However, one day, Tim is surprised when a business suit-wearing infant shows up in a taxi at his house and Ted and Janice proudly call him Tim's little brother. Tim is envious of the attention the baby is receiving, not to mention suspicious when the infant acts odd around him, but his parents, being blind to the baby's eccentric behavior, try to convince him that they will grow to love each other.

Soon, Tim learns that the baby can talk like an adult (Alec Baldwin) and he introduces himself as "The Boss Baby". Seeing an opportunity to be rid of him, Tim decides to record a conversation between him and other toddlers who are over at Tim's house for a meeting (under the guise of a playdate by the parents) to do something about how puppies are receiving more love than babies. The Boss Baby and the other infants catch Tim with the recording and after a chase scene throughout the backyard and the house, the tape is terminated after The Boss Baby threatens to tear up Tim's favorite stuffed animal, Lam-Lam. With no evidence to support him, Tim is subsequently grounded by his parents for his actions during the chase between him and the infants

The Boss Baby comes to Tim and has him to suck on a pacifier that transports them to Baby Corp, a place where infants with adult-like minds work to preserve infant love everywhere. They are virtual, so they cannot be seen or heard. The Boss Baby explains to Tim that he was sent on a mission to see why puppies are getting more love than infants. He has infiltrated Tim's residence because his parents work for Puppy Co., which is unleashing a new puppy on the day that employees take their children to work. The Boss Baby also explains that he stays intelligent by drinking a "Secret Baby Formula" which enables a baby to act like an adult. However, if a baby does not drink it after a period of time, he or she reverts to a regular baby. He hopes to receive a promotion after dealing with Puppy Co.'s new puppy, but when they overhear Boss Baby's boss threaten to fire him for not bringing in information, thereby stranding him at the Templetons, he and Tim agree to work together to keep that from happening.

After appearing to have patched things over, Tim's parents lift the grounding and take them to Puppy Co. for "take your child to work day". While there, they slip away and find what they think is the plans for a "Forever Puppy", but it turns out to be a trap set by founder Francis E. Francis (Steve Buscemi). They discover that Francis used to be the head of Baby Corp. (and Boss Baby's idol), but was forced out when it was discovered that his lactose intolerance kept the secret formula from working properly. Vowing revenge, Francis founded Puppy Corp. and intends to have the Forever Puppies overshadow babies by stealing Boss Baby's serum bottle and infecting the puppies with it. Tim's parents go with Francis to Las Vegas, and Francis has his brother pose as Tim and Boss Baby's babysitter to keep them from interfering.

Without a steady flow of serum to keep his intelligence in check, Boss Baby begins reverting back to being a normal baby. Despite this, he and Tim manage to evade the "babysitter" long enough to get to the airport, but are too late to intercept Tim's parents. Upset, Tim blames Boss Baby for using his family for his own ulterior motives, for which Boss Baby, after some hesitance, apologizes. After sneaking on a plane for Elvis impersonators bound for Vegas, they stall Francis' presentation when the brother (disguised as an Elvis impersonator) unwittingly gives away their plan.

Furious at their interference, Francis proceeds to lock Tim's parents up so he can burn them with exhaust from a rocket used to launch the Forever Puppies. Tim and Boss Baby fight with him, and then push him into the formula. Boss Baby opens the rocket to let the dogs out, so they can save Tim's parents. After he successfully does that, he returns to baby state while still on the rocket, but Tim sings to him with a family song to show his appreciation, causing him to jump off of the rocket before it launches. Francis, having reverted back to baby form, attempts to attacks them again, but his brother interferes, stating the he'll "raise him right this time" now that he's a baby again.

Boss Baby gets promoted, and Tim goes back to being an only child, but Tim and Boss Baby, having grown closer, start to miss each other. Boss Baby, fed up, decides to be part of the Templeton family. He returns to the Templeton family as a regular baby named Theodore Lindsey. Tim, now an adult, and now the father of an older daughter and an infant daughter, who acts exactly like Theodore did when he was Boss Baby.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

wikipedia posted:

Madness

Was somebody high when they wrote that script?

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

I like Legends of the Wulin's damage system, where hitting opponents places a certain numbers of Ripples on an opponent depending on how well you rolled. Ripples don't do anything at all... until a Rippling roll is called for. This happens either if you hit someone super, super well - the crit-equivalent is that you do a bunch of Ripples and also make them roll them out right now - but normally happens at the end of combat. More Ripples = more and more bad stuff happens to you on the Rippling roll. Like actual wound effects, maiming injuries, emotional damage, called shots to the self esteem and so on.

The main effect of this is that two kung fu masters can wale on each other for a few rounds, realise that nobody is going to roll well enough to actually force a mid-combat rippling roll, wale on each other some more until one or both opponents start looking nervously at the amount of ripples that are stacking up, bow to each other and turn to leave. At this point, one of them examines his wounds, realises that he is bleeding to death, both his arms are shattered and he can't see out of one eye and the other kung fu master realises that his leg is broken, his opponent's style was superior to his, that he is a bad Buddhist and then he keels over into unconsciousness.

One of the special abilities Buddhist monks get is the ability to, when an opponent makes a rippling roll, offer them the choice to become obsessed with becoming a better Buddhist in exchange for not having to make that ripple roll. A Shaolin monk kicks the gently caress out of you to the point where you're certain that when you stop fighting you're just going to drop dead and then offers to help you get back to the righteous path. You look at your fifteen ripples that you have stacked up and take his generous offer.

Obsessions, maiming wounds, mental trauma, reputation damage and emotional and psychological effects are all handled the same mechanically and are all equal fodder for results on a bad ripple roll. You can choose to get stabbed the gently caress up and crippled, or sub some of that out for your mentor thinking you're a waste of loving space and having a lingering phobia of loud noises. Meanwhile in combat, there's no death spiral because ripples have no effect until you're forced to roll them out and it takes some serious stats before you can just dunk an in-combat rippling roll on somebody. Meanwhile it's actually really hard to perma-kill someone because that requires a whole hell of a lot of ripples and they're almost certainly going to duck out before then. This way, it sets the stage for long-term continuing relationships between rival kung-fu masters and a lot of pissed off people in bandages questioning their life choices as they learn valuable lessons in self-reflection from the village healer.

And some games just have you subtract hit points until you hit zero and die :wtc:
This reminds me of a time when I was playing a Black Lotus master in LotW. For those that don't know, it's a style where several of the techs give your target one or more "petals" which are basically a hairline fracture and act kind of like combo points; you can spend these to gain other effects with other techniques. I was fighting some other master and we were each getting in near hits/misses, trying to whittle each other down when I offered to let him leave or I would end him with my next attack. I had a few injuries and he had almost nothing, so he of course declined. Next attack, I put everything I had into one attack, including the ten petals I had racked up to having a rippling roll of twenty five. Took him from "not a scratch" to "powdered skeleton" in a single blow. which was good since if I had missed I'd have been a dead man. :v:

And since the only way you actually die in combat is being Taken Out and the one taking you out actually wanting your consequence to be "that guy is dead now", I decided to go full wuxia and have the guy want to be my student.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.

Is this what happens when you stare into the abyss?

berenzen
Jan 23, 2012

Kwyndig posted:

Was somebody high when they wrote that script?

Why do you ask questions you already know the answer to.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

It's a kid's movie.

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

Plutonis posted:

It's a kid's movie.

which kid

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The Boss Baby's

Doodmons
Jan 17, 2009

Yawgmoth posted:

This reminds me of a time when I was playing a Black Lotus master in LotW. For those that don't know, it's a style where several of the techs give your target one or more "petals" which are basically a hairline fracture and act kind of like combo points; you can spend these to gain other effects with other techniques. I was fighting some other master and we were each getting in near hits/misses, trying to whittle each other down when I offered to let him leave or I would end him with my next attack. I had a few injuries and he had almost nothing, so he of course declined. Next attack, I put everything I had into one attack, including the ten petals I had racked up to having a rippling roll of twenty five. Took him from "not a scratch" to "powdered skeleton" in a single blow. which was good since if I had missed I'd have been a dead man. :v:

And since the only way you actually die in combat is being Taken Out and the one taking you out actually wanting your consequence to be "that guy is dead now", I decided to go full wuxia and have the guy want to be my student.

I love that the fluff for that style is that the guy who invented it loved wearing white robes and was seriously tired of getting people's blood on his clothes every time he had a kung fu fight. So he invented a style that let him wait until after he'd got out of splash range to detonate someone's body explosively.

Lotus style has a bad rep.

paradoxGentleman
Dec 10, 2013

wheres the jester, I could do with some pointless nonsense right about now

The Vosgian Beast posted:

So The Boss Baby is basically the exact same as Demon: The Descent when you think about it
There are literally no circumstances wherein I want to think about The Boss Baby.

Kestral
Nov 24, 2000

Forum Veteran

Pope Guilty posted:

The Burning Wheel and Dungeon World folks are pretty tight, aren't they? I should check out BW sometime.

They are. Luke Crane and Adam Koebel are buds, and the Burning Wheel and Dungeon World presence at cons like PAX all operate out of the same booth.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Doodmons posted:

I love that the fluff for that style is that the guy who invented it loved wearing white robes and was seriously tired of getting people's blood on his clothes every time he had a kung fu fight. So he invented a style that let him wait until after he'd got out of splash range to detonate someone's body explosively.

Lotus style has a bad rep.
I wish there were more styles like it, with some sort of unique mechanic like the petals that accumulate and are spent independent of chi. Setting up those kinds of combos are extremely my jam.

I also wish I had people to play LotW with, but that's another problem.

Ominous Jazz
Jun 15, 2011

Big D is chillin' over here
Wasteland style

paradoxGentleman posted:

There are literally no circumstances wherein I want to think about The Boss Baby.

There are literally no circumstances wherein I want to think about Beast.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

One of my players has taken to writing down all his rolls and giving us a hit percentage breakdown after every combat. Trying to decide whether I ask him to stop or give him post-battle rankings like in Bayonetta.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

My Lovely Horse posted:

One of my players has taken to writing down all his rolls and giving us a hit percentage breakdown after every combat. Trying to decide whether I ask him to stop or give him post-battle rankings like in Bayonetta.

It's maybe not a bad idea on its face, but I don't know that it really matters in most TRPGs because combat takes so few rolls that you wouldn't really be able to hit any meaningful "averages".

This is also why meta-currency and triggered/activated abilities are so much more powerful/useful - it's better to have an "I want to hit RIGHT NOW" button than it is to have a passively higher chance to hit.

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Yawgmoth posted:

I wish there were more styles like it, with some sort of unique mechanic like the petals that accumulate and are spent independent of chi. Setting up those kinds of combos are extremely my jam.

I also wish I had people to play LotW with, but that's another problem.

mostly because all in all it's a clunky game with a layout that hits just above the line of unplayable.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Kibner posted:

The effect of bonuses on a dice expression could affect how easy/difficult it is to get the 80% chance to hit. But if any given roll has an 80% chance to hit, it has an 80% chance to hit.

dwarf74 posted:

Yep. An 80% chance is an 80% chance no matter how you slice it.

However, modifiers to the roll (and other mechanical considerations when setting target numbers) need to be considered during game design.

Thanks, folks. I just needed to be sure.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

My Lovely Horse posted:

Rank him on style like DMC, just to gently caress with him.

Also Legends of the Wulin sounds awesome.

Kwyndig
Sep 23, 2006

Heeeeeey

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Rank him on style like DMC, just to gently caress with him.

Agreed. I really need to actually read my copy of that. I really liked Weapons of the Gods.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

It is, but be forewarned: the editing is terrible, there's a good handful of vague mechanics, and combat will take forever your first few goes at it because even starting characters have a pretty good amount of Stuff They Can Do.

It's super fun once you get it all sorted in your head, though.

Parkreiner
Oct 29, 2011

Yawgmoth posted:

It is, but be forewarned: the editing is terrible, there's a good handful of vague mechanics,

For instance; rules as written, Ripples never go away-- I assume they're spent when rolled, but somehow that just never made it into the book. I have no doubt that there must be some serious behind-the-scenes horror stories about dealing with Eos.

Also worth mentioning that poster Sage Genesis is one of the authors.

Yawgmoth
Sep 10, 2003

This post is cursed!

Parkreiner posted:

For instance; rules as written, Ripples never go away-- I assume they're spent when rolled, but somehow that just never made it into the book. I have no doubt that there must be some serious behind-the-scenes horror stories about dealing with Eos.

Also worth mentioning that poster Sage Genesis is one of the authors.
Ripples go away at the end of combat, but I can't remember if that's one of those "one sentence buried somewhere and only said once" or if that was just a clarification from SG.

Ferrinus
Jun 19, 2003

i'm finding this quite easy, i guess in part because i'm a fast type but also because i have a coherent mental model of the world
Only finding out at the end of combat that you're missing an arm seems counter to the goal of having interesting, dynamic fights.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Thinking about it, I actually kinda like how the wound system for the Warhammer RPGs work, where you have a nice cushion of Wounds that act like HP, and then you start taking actual penalizing/lasting injuries when they run out.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

fool_of_sound posted:

Thinking about it, I actually kinda like how the wound system for the Warhammer RPGs work, where you have a nice cushion of Wounds that act like HP, and then you start taking actual penalizing/lasting injuries when they run out.

They're also, barring minor increases thanks to talents, more or less static. A character at the beginning of the game will have similar (if not the same) wounds when they're a high-level character. From this perspective, 'leveling up' isn't so much about being able to take more punishment as it is getting more skilled at ending fights quickly and avoiding damage - as well as having good gear to help mitigate said damage.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Ferrinus posted:

Only finding out at the end of combat that you're missing an arm seems counter to the goal of having interesting, dynamic fights.

Only if you want a very fine-grained relationship between combat and narrative. I'm totally fine with "let's play an abstract minigame and then decide what it represents in the story" if the abstract minigame is good and eventually feeds interesting raw material into the narrative.

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

fool_of_sound posted:

Is that similar to TBZ's combination of hit points and wound boxes then?

Elfgames
Sep 11, 2011

Fun Shoe

Ferrinus posted:

it's not really the type of game where lose an arm is a thing you do.

it's supposed to represent the type of wuxia action movie fight where dudes punch each other a bunch then suddenly one coughs up blood and falls over because of internal dammage

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
Goon Phi230 is running a Phoenix Command LP

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3816353&pagenumber=1&perpage=40

That is all

LatwPIAT
Jun 6, 2011

Cool! Time to advertise my Excel spreadsheets!

ManMythLegend
Aug 18, 2003

I don't believe in anything, I'm just here for the violence.

:uhaul:

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

http://www.critsuccess.com lol

Nuns with Guns
Jul 23, 2010

It's fine.
Don't worry about it.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

What's a good software for making worldmaps for a campaign? Thanks.

slap me and kiss me
Apr 1, 2008

You best protect ya neck

Plutonis posted:

What's a good software for making worldmaps for a campaign? Thanks.

http://inkarnate.com/

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm running a Play-by-Discord Pathfinder game and while I can take a picture of a piece of paper through my phone easily enough and upload that the group, I kept agonizing over how to represent character movement on a map from turn-to-turn without having to redraw the whole thing every time.

It never occurred to me all this time to use a goddamn pencil.

LatwPIAT posted:

Cool! Time to advertise my Excel spreadsheets!

Hey LawtPIAT is there like an official place to get the Phoenix Command books now that they've been ... I think "released into public domain" is the term you used?

P.d0t
Dec 27, 2007
I released my finger from the trigger, and then it was over...

gradenko_2000 posted:

So I'm running a Play-by-Discord Pathfinder game and while I can take a picture of a piece of paper through my phone easily enough and upload that the group, I kept agonizing over how to represent character movement on a map from turn-to-turn without having to redraw the whole thing every time.

It never occurred to me all this time to use a goddamn pencil.

NASA scientists spent $1M making a pen that would write in zero-gravity; Soviets just used pencils.

(bonus fact: pencils also work better in cold temperatures)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cease to Hope
Dec 12, 2011

P.d0t posted:

NASA scientists spent $1M making a pen that would write in zero-gravity; Soviets just used pencils.

(bonus fact: pencils also work better in cold temperatures)

this is not true

the fact that the characters in primer think it's true and clever is foreshadowing the rest of the film

• Locked thread