Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

The_Doctor posted:

I quite like the E bridge, although the random pillars around the place can get out. You know, it's not a million miles from the JJprise bridge in busy design. Just over that bright colour scheme over the top and see.

Eh, the JJprise bridge has a fundamental structure and focus that the E bridge lacks, which I think is the latter's biggest flaw.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

MikeJF posted:

Eh, the JJprise bridge has a fundamental structure and focus that the E bridge lacks, which I think is the latter's biggest flaw.

Yeah, outside of the lighting it's actually really very similar to the Constitution Refit bridge layout (with added vertical displays). It's the lighting that doesn't do it any favors in '09 but it works a lot better in Into Darkness and Beyond.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Warp core on the bridge makes a certain degree of sense. If your warp core blows it doesn't matter *where* on the ship you are, you're dead. And the bridge is supposed to be heavily protected anyway. Why not save the costs and only build one heavily protected area instead of two?

Blade_of_tyshalle
Jul 12, 2009

If you think that, along the way, you're not going to fail... you're blind.

There's no one I've ever met, no matter how successful they are, who hasn't said they had their failures along the way.

Yeah, why isn't real world ship design putting the bridge inside the engine room? Smdh

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Blade_of_tyshalle posted:

Yeah, why isn't real world ship design putting the bridge inside the engine room? Smdh
I think this is the same kind of thinking that would go into, "If the bridge doesn't need any kind of actual view on the outside world to operate, why the gently caress are you putting it up on the top of the ship?" Like this makes sense in conventional ships, although submarines tend, if memory serves me correctly, to just have a place up top where a guy can drive the boat when you're on the surface.

What would make the most "sense" is to have the command center be in the center of the front-ish part of the ship (to be real accurate in my naval terminology) with the engine reactor doohickey in the center of the back-ish part. Trek ships do generally do the latter at least.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

I think it would be great if eventually Fed ships were just big bridge bubbles in the middle of a wide saucer, with no visible engines. A bright transporter-ray would deposit away-teams onto the surface, to take specimens from local livestock and rural inhabitants for examination onboard.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

It makes sense to have them both inside the inner inner hull, near the core of the ship. But you don't put the reactor on the bridge because people loving work on it.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice

Brawnfire posted:

I think it would be great if eventually Fed ships were just big bridge bubbles in the middle of a wide saucer, with no visible engines. A bright transporter-ray would deposit away-teams onto the surface, to take specimens from local livestock and rural inhabitants for examination onboard.

The Enterprise K will move itself entirely by using the transporters to transport everything but the transporters, then replicating a new transporter.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

MikeJF posted:

It makes sense to have them both inside the inner inner hull, near the core of the ship. But you don't put the reactor on the bridge because people loving work on it.

yeah but the only people who work on it are the main character senior staff, and let's be honest they spend most of their time on the bridge anyway, and whenever they do anything that isn't on the bridge they tell the captain 'come down here you have to see this for yourself'

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

TTerrible posted:

They have to go somewhere :colbert:

They're the GNDN Relay.

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer

Brawnfire posted:

Ever wondered why the Eugenics Wars and WW3 were erased and delayed, respectively, from Earth's canon timeline by factors unknown? And how WW2 ended up being fought exclusively by 'historical re-enactors' who wanted to kill Hitler, and 'historic cosplayers' who wanted to protect Hitler?

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius
Look dude, I'm not actually a nazi, I'm just roleplaying as Goebbles.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

Axanar fell well short of its Indiegogo fundraising goal, meaning they can't pay rent at their studio. They're moving out by the end of the month and offering refunds to anyone who wants one.

That noise? Oh that's just me sitting in the corner cackling like a madman.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Cojawfee posted:

Look dude, I'm not actually a nazi, I'm just roleplaying as Goebbles.

Unfortunately, what you thought was a holodeck is actually an alternate world generator thanks to the upgrade the Trinars did last month. Way to create and then genocide an entire population after every shift.

Orv
May 4, 2011
Conundrum is such a good episode.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Rhyno posted:

That noise? Oh that's just me sitting in the corner cackling like a madman.

I still wish CBS and Paramount had pounded them into the ground instead of settling the case, but I suppose after seeing the financials they must have figured, "Eh, these assholes are broke anyway, we'd never get a penny out of them."

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

Timby posted:

I still wish CBS and Paramount had pounded them into the ground instead of settling the case, but I suppose after seeing the financials they must have figured, "Eh, these assholes are broke anyway, we'd never get a penny out of them."

I was really hoping they'd just steamroll in and seize everything they deemed was their intellectual property.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
I know I told myself I wouldn't skip any episodes of tng after the season 2 finale, but the loss is really pushing it.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Kingtheninja posted:

I know I told myself I wouldn't skip any episodes of tng after the season 2 finale, but the loss is really pushing it.

"With all due respect captain, you don't know what you're talking about."

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

Kingtheninja posted:

If you can't get excited about a cosmic string fragment, there's just no helping you. :colbert:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Nessus posted:

I think this is the same kind of thinking that would go into, "If the bridge doesn't need any kind of actual view on the outside world to operate, why the gently caress are you putting it up on the top of the ship?" Like this makes sense in conventional ships, although submarines tend, if memory serves me correctly, to just have a place up top where a guy can drive the boat when you're on the surface.

What would make the most "sense" is to have the command center be in the center of the front-ish part of the ship (to be real accurate in my naval terminology) with the engine reactor doohickey in the center of the back-ish part. Trek ships do generally do the latter at least.

The Galactica did have the CIC in the bowels of the ship under all the armor, since visuals were not important at all and everything was through the sensors.

Not sure why they needed to have the bridge poking out of the top of the ship when it looks like they have a camera feed going anyway.

Zurui
Apr 20, 2005
Even now...

NuTrek at least had windows with the HUD overlay. I mean, it makes less sense than a screen door on a submarine but it looks cool.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Poor O'Brien. If only he'd dropped the matter when data told him the wedding was off.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde
Without Keiko, Nog doesn't join Starfleet. Also, O'Brien and Bashir are both dead.

Trying to think of other things she's directly responsible for. Maybe she's really good at romance off screen?

Orv
May 4, 2011
DS9 Season Eight: O'Brien Time-Murders His Wife.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Beachcomber posted:

Without Keiko, Nog doesn't join Starfleet. Also, O'Brien and Bashir are both dead.

Trying to think of other things she's directly responsible for. Maybe she's really good at romance off screen?

I thought maybe she had done something important in the episode where the Cardassians put Miles on trial but skimming the memory alpha page, it doesn't look like she actually did anything to affect the plot, she was just kinda there to add emotional weight.

I guess indirectly she saved Kira since that crazy Cardassian assassin would have just straight-up killed her instead of trying to save the baby first, giving Kira the opportunity to kill him.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pakled posted:

I thought maybe she had done something important in the episode where the Cardassians put Miles on trial but skimming the memory alpha page, it doesn't look like she actually did anything to affect the plot, she was just kinda there to add emotional weight.

I guess indirectly she saved Kira since that crazy Cardassian assassin would have just straight-up killed her instead of trying to save the baby first, giving Kira the opportunity to kill him.
Didn't she provide this massive evidence that he never had coffee in the afternoon and it turned out he had and she'd remembered wrong?

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Nessus posted:

Didn't she provide this massive evidence that he never had coffee in the afternoon and it turned out he had and she'd remembered wrong?

That's why O'Brien and Bashir would be dead without her.

Farmer Crack-Ass
Jan 2, 2001

this is me posting irl

skooma512 posted:

The Galactica did have the CIC in the bowels of the ship under all the armor, since visuals were not important at all and everything was through the sensors.

Not sure why they needed to have the bridge poking out of the top of the ship when it looks like they have a camera feed going anyway.

To be fair, at least with the Enterprise-D that was entirely Gene Roddenberry's fault. Andy Probert tried to stick the bridge in the middle of the saucer, but Gene ordered him to put it back on top. I don't know if a reason was ever given - I want to say they had grand visions of doing effects shots of them looking out the window up top and then never did anything with that window, but I could just as easily see Gene just being a crank about it.

Timby posted:

Like having columns full of space death gas readily accessible in Main Engineering that can fracture easily and would cause everyone in the room to die a horrible melty death.

There's a part of me that wonders if that might* have been a callback to the Wrath of Khan novelization where it was explained that Scotty's nephew got killed by leaking reactor coolant, but there's something even more hilarious about the thought that eighty years later they still haven't fixed that gaping design flaw, and in fact made it even worse.

*it's admittedly a really slim chance

spincube
Jan 31, 2006

I spent :10bux: so I could say that I finally figured out what this god damned cube is doing. Get well Lowtax.
Grimey Drawer
Somewhere, a few Utopia Planitia engineers gather around their Don't Call It A Pool Table, scratching their chins and wondering if a starship really needs windows. Why do we even need a bridge, why can't One of Sev- fine, alright, the Captain - why can't she remote in from her alcove??

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

spincube posted:

Somewhere, a few Utopia Planitia engineers gather around their Don't Call It A Pool Table, scratching their chins and wondering if a starship really needs windows. Why do we even need a bridge, why can't One of Sev- fine, alright, the Captain - why can't she remote in from her alcove??

There were multiple references to the Inner Hull in TNG, I always assumed that there was a weak hull with windows, cushy rooms, and then a thick inner wall inside that cushy bit with solid airlock-ish doors that could slam closed over the corridors that went through it.

And the ship could pretty much keep going fine if the outer layer was torn off.

Gonz
Dec 22, 2009

"Jesus, did I say that? Or just think it? Was I talking? Did they hear me?"
The 1701-D clearly used civilian living space as unspoken ship armor.

Countless people and their family members have been sacrificed to protect the more important areas.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I would say that General Quarters would involve civilians going to inner shelters, but apparently Ten Forward is a shelter, so gently caress it.

Space Crabs
Mar 10, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

MikeJF posted:

I would say that General Quarters would involve civilians going to inner shelters, but apparently Ten Forward is a shelter, so gently caress it.

Ten Forward is a "Shelter" alright. They just herd people in there whenever they are afraid of running into something. It's like throwing tires on the front of your boat to absorb the impact.

Kibbles n Shits
Apr 8, 2006

burgerpug.png

Fun Shoe

Tunicate posted:

Warp core on the bridge makes a certain degree of sense. If your warp core blows it doesn't matter *where* on the ship you are, you're dead. And the bridge is supposed to be heavily protected anyway. Why not save the costs and only build one heavily protected area instead of two?

Not to mention the bridge crew could have frozen margaritas without even leaving their duty stations.

After The War
Apr 12, 2005

to all of my Architects
let me be traitor

skooma512 posted:

The bridge, maybe, but I will fight anyone who has a problem with the Ready Room window. :toughguy:

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

MikeJF posted:

There were multiple references to the Inner Hull in TNG, I always assumed that there was a weak hull with windows, cushy rooms, and then a thick inner wall inside that cushy bit with solid airlock-ish doors that could slam closed over the corridors that went through it.

And the ship could pretty much keep going fine if the outer layer was torn off.

I don't remember any reference to an inner-hull. Just the secondary hull, which is the stardrive section of the ship.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

Space Crabs posted:

Ten Forward is a "Shelter" alright. They just herd people in there whenever they are afraid of running into something. It's like throwing tires on the front of your boat to absorb the impact.

It would be logical to fortify a place where lots of people would be anyway.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Lowen SoDium posted:

I don't remember any reference to an inner-hull. Just the secondary hull, which is the stardrive section of the ship.

According to that them there internets, it's when the Borg are carving poo poo up in The Best of Both Worlds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cojawfee
May 31, 2006
I think the US is dumb for not using Celsius

After The War posted:

The bridge, maybe, but I will fight anyone who has a problem with the Ready Room window. :toughguy:

Where's the captain?

He got space sniped through his ready room window.