Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

7c Nickel posted:

Well the DLC is really a side story. I don't know why anyone expected it to add a new ending beyond what we got from the Soul of Cinder.

There was no reason for the Ringed City to be a side story though when its the final entry in the series. From chose to introduce their stupid painted world plot for the DLC when there was a bunch of unanswered stuff already in the base game. Its kind of frustrating to have all that be ignored in favor of answering questions that didn't exist prior to the DLC.

In a vacuum its fine. As the final piece of the Dark Souls story, I think its pretty easy to see why so many people dislike it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

crushed blackflame friede! that's gotta be one of the funnest souls boss fights, maybe the best in ds3.

time for a nap now, the only thing really, after a good toast

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

FauxGateau posted:

do you guys like greatswords and faith builds? I do. Apparently the drakeblood sword got a Raw buff with this latest patch. On my lovely pure faith build (18str/16dex/60fai) I get about 574 AR (305phys/134mag/134lite) vanilla. But when buffed with the sunlight straight sword WA and lightning blade/darkmoon blade it jumps up to 901 AR!
Drakeblood always got tons of AR from a buff, but I completely forgot that Raw got buffed too so yeah the AR on that motherfucker should be crazy. Lightning Blade on the Dragonslayer Axe is also pretty tight. I don't think it gains any Lightning AR from Raw unless the buff changed things but it gains a fuckton of Lightning AR with the buff. Any buffable weapon that already has elemental damage on it gains tremendously from buffing basically, but there aren't a ton of them.

ThermosAquaticus
Nov 9, 2013
I see that the raw rear end has been nerfed, such that even unupgraded, with base physical stats, raw is actually worse than no infusion. Looks like raw broadsword is the way to go for low level casters now.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Nerf my raw rear end

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender
I found this thread while searching for "raw rear end"

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Fromsoft nerfed it because they were sick of "raw rear end" being the number one related word to "Dark Souls 3" on google.

One Hundred Monkeys
Aug 7, 2010

Node posted:

I found this thread while searching for "raw rear end"

I bet there's at least one goon who found this thread by searching for "rear end bleed"

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

stretch from ringed city interior to wherever the next bonfire is, is a pretty drat big haul

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

I'm on Journey 3 now (in an effort to finally acquire the Pale Shade Set, among other things) and have decided to use whips exclusively for a change of pace. I died at least a dozen times trying to whip the Crystal Sage to death with the Witch's Locks. :negative:

basalt fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Apr 9, 2017

Orv
May 4, 2011
You're beyond help now.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!
I think its pretty obvious that when she speaks of a cold, dark, and gentle place, she's referring to outer space. The final mission in Dark Souls is to help create the next sci-fi horror 3rd person action RPG, Space Souls.

uncle w benefits
Nov 1, 2010

hi, it's me, your uncle
A Dead Space/Dark Souls mash up.

ditty bout my clitty
May 28, 2011

by FactsAreUseless
Fun Shoe

AlternateNu posted:

I think its pretty obvious that when she speaks of a cold, dark, and gentle place, she's referring to outer space. The final mission in Dark Souls is to help create the next sci-fi horror 3rd person action RPG, Space Souls.

Dark space

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh
This isn't directly related to the dlc but leading up to doing the dlc I have been playing through the game again as a pyromancer, which I haven't really done before, and boulder heave is my favorite spell in the game. I killed abyss watchers using it exclusively

EEURBLUGH

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Nakar posted:

All humans are capital-U Undead in their true form. The interference of the Age of Fire is what allows humans to truly die. There's probably some unforseen consequence of this that the series never fully explains involving their residual Humanity, the Abyss, and the like, but I dunno what that is. The "curse of the undead" crops up whenever the flames grow weak, and is more of a symptom of Fire being too weak to let people die "normally."

This comes up a lot in Dark 1 where people like the Firekeeper at Firelink believe that linking the fire will "end the undead curse" and allow them to die. By Dark 2 most hollows know there is no hope to die and everyone will just lose their minds, and Vendrick has figured out that hollowing is the natural state of humanity. In Dark 3 it seems like people rarely die normally anymore as the Londor Pilgrims like Yoel seem desperate to die and be released from undeath and almost everyone else is a hollow; the fact that Yoel can die by assisting a Champion of Ash is curious, as are the Angels/Pilgrim Butterflies that Pilgrims can ascend into.

It seems like the First Flame can allow a human to experience the false gift of life so completely that they get to die permanently too, but there's probably some nefarious bullshit going on there like your soul/Humanity fueling the Fire to keep it going. By Dark 3 dying seems to be harder than not dying, which certainly explains how the world is falling to ruin since you have conflicts like the civil war in Lothric that would probably never end if everyone were undead.

It is, to wit, an unnatural state for things not to die; it's strange that in the Souls universe the inverse is true. Naturally the world had no disparity, and then naturally it did. Presumably a form of reincarnation occurs, given the formless nature of the Dark and how it seems to contain human emotions and possibly even memories. The Dark is where all dead things should be, ultimately; a primordial sea, from which life may come just as freely as life may go.

Presumably all individual souls come from the First Flame; so the majority of humans don't actually have their own Soul. This is notable because when you kill NPCs they do not drop Soul items; if every human shares the Dark Soul, this makes a lot of sense, and further cements that humans seem to be birthed by and return to the Dark in any general sequence of life and death. When in balance, flame and Dark, the world is right; that balance grows unsteady over time, and when the Dark is overwhelming the Fire, disparity fades from the world. Death becomes unattainable, and life becomes hell.

Orv
May 4, 2011

IronicDongz posted:

This isn't directly related to the dlc but leading up to doing the dlc I have been playing through the game again as a pyromancer, which I haven't really done before, and boulder heave is my favorite spell in the game. I killed abyss watchers using it exclusively

EEURBLUGH

When the game was fresh and people were still doing their first playthrough, Boulder Heave was the premier No, gently caress You PvP dick move and I got so much mileage out of it.

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Orv posted:

When the game was fresh and people were still doing their first playthrough, Boulder Heave was the premier No, gently caress You PvP dick move and I got so much mileage out of it.

It is great paired with toxic mist since they share the same animation, and you can really screw with your opponent's timing by switching between them.

hanales
Nov 3, 2013

Garth Merenghi's Dark Space.

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Took about 2 hours of cooping on nameless but i finally ran into my first moundmaker boss glitch-invader. That made that boss fight actually super exciting and tense.

There should be a covenant that can invade boss fights with 3-4 players. Maybe do a bit of scaling on the invader, give the host his ember back on death, or restrict a few more broken bosses, but the concept feels kind of cool if properly balance tuned.

AlternateNu posted:

Yes.

hanales posted:

Garth Merenghi's Dark Space.
Oh hell yes.

Bloodborne was halfway there already
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PXBBGjUjy2c

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Apr 9, 2017

Nakar
Sep 2, 2002

Ultima Ratio Regum

8-Bit Scholar posted:

Presumably all individual souls come from the First Flame; so the majority of humans don't actually have their own Soul.
Also note how soul items are named, going all the way back to Demon's Souls: The greater the value of the soul, the more epic and heroic the person it came from. The best soul is usually the Soul of a Great Hero, which goes back to my observation that throughout cycles powerful beings hoard a bunch of souls and incorporate them into the strength of their own (which is what you're doing whenever you level up in a Souls game). Given that the whole point of the cycle is to prep your undead to link the fire, it's amusing that they encourage you to strengthen your own soul as much as you can. It's even the plot of Demon's Souls: You're killing the demons and strengthening your own soul so that the Old One has to reach out to you and attempt to make you its new demon, leaving it vulnerable.

Even Bloodborne, which is decidedly different, has a similar approach to the Coldblood items. The closer a being is to the Great Ones, the more potent and valuable its blood. Bloodborne takes it a step further with the Insight/Beasthood dichotomy too.

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro

Karanas posted:

If you're just looking for tongues, the two darkwraiths in Farron have a pretty decent drop rate with the gold serpent ring +3 and a rusted coin.

Good place to pick up some Wolfblood Swordgrass too, incidentally.

Node posted:

Are the Blue Sentinels bugged? Half the time, I don't get a proof of concord kept.

It seems you need to actually attack/engage the invader to get one. A lot of times I'll phase in and the red will be killed by something and I'll just be sent home, same if the host enters a boss room. I think it's working as intended, though.

Augus posted:

I mean, you're kinda supposed to feel weak in these games?

Yeah, something I kind of like in Dark Souls is how you can make a Knight and use the starting gear for the entire game and strike down gods and demons with basic gear. It's basically the opposite of WoW with giant shoulderpads and insanely flashy weapon.

7c Nickel
Apr 27, 2008

KingSlime posted:

Because by comparison, The Old Hunters expansion was the final and missing chapter that nicely wrapped up Bloodborne. Sure there are still some mysteries but they don't really matter and the direct plot involving the main actors is explored at length pretty well. Given how fragmented DS3 felt, expectations were high.

Overall not a bad resolution but not nearly as sastisfying as Bloodborne's last few extra bits

That might be it. Since I don't have a PS4, I never played Bloodborne, so my expectations for the DLC were set by the previous Dark Souls.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The other Dark Souls had good DLCs when it came to lore though? AotA explained a lot of things surrounding the past of Lordran and SOTFS added a new ending that really helped the game thematically. Even base DS2 had the DLC tie into the base game with answers regarding the Daughters of Manus. AoA and the Ringed City mostly created entirely new plots and answered questions that people already thought were answered (dark soul and the pygmies) or just made up entirely new ones (the Ringed City was mentioned nowhere before this DLC).

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

I really liked the new info on the dark sign.

Tallgeese
May 11, 2008

MAKE LOVE, NOT WAR

Internet Kraken posted:

(the Ringed City was mentioned nowhere before this DLC).

Honestly, this part bothered me. You'd think something like that would come up at some point!

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

The assasain bird things in ashes of andariel are...infuriating.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

I really cannot help but feel that the Ringed City was the actual final area of DS3 in prerelease, but got cut for time and replaced by the short jog to Soul of Cinder. Considering that some of the first few concept pieces we saw were of the Dreg Heap, and the enormous amount of importance the Ringed City is given in the lore, it feels flat out weird for it to be off in its own little world almost totally disconnected from the central plot of the main game.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

gently caress Vilhelm. gently caress this absolute piece of goddam poo poo. What a loving oval office. gently caress!

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

veni veni veni posted:

gently caress Vilhelm. gently caress this absolute piece of goddam poo poo. What a loving oval office. gently caress!

Just knock the jerk off a cliff :getin:

SHISHKABOB
Nov 30, 2012

Fun Shoe

veni veni veni posted:

He was such a loving pain in the rear end.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

veni veni veni posted:

Vilhelm is a bitch. Kick him off the cliff.

The crow assassins are a pain to fight unless you have a big weapon to stagger them, but luckily are completely avoidable. The one at the start of the settlement you can just run past, the one right before the locked gate to Vilhelm won't follow you into Vilhelm's place, and the two in the chapel aren't even slightly worth fighting.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Whew, raged enough that I was able to dragon ball z on him and whup his rear end after like 20 tries.

But still gently caress Vilhelm. I cannot stress how much I hate that motherfucker. He didn't even drop his armor. Where do I get that? It's dope looking.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vermain posted:

I really cannot help but feel that the Ringed City was the actual final area of DS3 in prerelease, but got cut for time and replaced by the short jog to Soul of Cinder. Considering that some of the first few concept pieces we saw were of the Dreg Heap, and the enormous amount of importance the Ringed City is given in the lore, it feels flat out weird for it to be off in its own little world almost totally disconnected from the central plot of the main game.

I could definitely believe that the Dreg Heap was something meant to be in the original game but the Ringed City comes completely out of left field. Its basically the human version of Anor Londo, which is weird because New Londo was supposed to be that in the original Dark Souls. There's no hints about it anywhere that I've seen.

There was zero indication anywhere that the pygmy was still around, or that there was in fact tons of them rather than just one. So when Lapp just casually talked about them I did a double take.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 22:47 on Apr 9, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

veni veni veni posted:

I just hit him with a sword and stunlocked him before he even finished his introduction speech.

Executioner's greatsword is the best.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

veni veni veni posted:

But still gently caress Vilhelm. I cannot stress how much I hate that motherfucker. He didn't even drop his armor. Where do I get that? It's dope looking.

You will eventually find his armor in an upcoming area that isn't covered in snow.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

veni veni veni posted:

Whew, raged enough that I was able to dragon ball z on him and whup his rear end after like 20 tries.

In the bug pit at the end

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Internet Kraken posted:

The other Dark Souls had good DLCs when it came to lore though? AotA explained a lot of things surrounding the past of Lordran and SOTFS added a new ending that really helped the game thematically. Even base DS2 had the DLC tie into the base game with answers regarding the Daughters of Manus. AoA and the Ringed City mostly created entirely new plots and answered questions that people already thought were answered (dark soul and the pygmies) or just made up entirely new ones (the Ringed City was mentioned nowhere before this DLC).

Both Dark Souls 1 and 2 had great DLCs. For quality, I think Artorias of the Abyss stands above them all, but I had more fun with the three DLCs that 2 offered. The Artorias boss fight is probably the best in the game, in terms mostly of lore, as well as a little mechanics. His scream at the end is bone chilling. Each DLC in Dark Souls 2 had gimmicks, but they were entertaining gimmicks in my own experience. Plus they all had the optional extra difficult content at the end. gently caress those flying lightning bolt shooting horses that you can't see in the blizzard. gently caress those guys hard.

Ariandel is okay so far but it isn't as engaging as previous DLCs.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

There was zero indication anywhere that the pygmy was still around, or that there was in fact tons of them rather than just one. So when Lapp just casually talked about them I did a double take.

Miyazaki? More like Miyaz-HACK-i :colbert:

Bring back the Best-team!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

What I liked about all three DS2 DLCs is that they all had different methods of interconnecting their levels and opening up new areas to explore. Shulva had the raising/lowering platforms, the spinning discs, and the platforming section; Brume Tower had the Idols, the locked doors, and the elevators; and Eleum Loyce had the defrosting and hidden ladders. By comparison, Ariandel's got a few holes to drop through and gates to open; Dreg Heap doesn't have any interconnectedness; and the Ringed City's interconnectedness is... ladders and doors.