Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

A Persona x Yakuza crossover would not be the worst thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Terper posted:

Getting the Fortune Confidant up to Rank 7 allows you to pay money every day to get a couple of points with any character you want without it taking up time.

what

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum

Endorph posted:

I think it's less that they're total shut-ins and more that a lot of japanese people, especially teenagers, don't have much personal experience with the criminal element. the crime rates are very low, after all. so they're both trying to show the mild naivete of the teenagers and doing so for an audience that mostly knows criminals from movies.

one bit that really got to me was when (pre boss 3 stuff) the student council person talks to gangsters, scares them off instead of playing along, then says 'they were gangsters', the two speech options are something like a: wow, how did you figure that out b: .....
I read option 'a' as 'super sarcastic' so I said that. The student council person took it at face value though 'yeah I figured them out, they were hard to spot but they were gangsters' and I thought, ok, maybe she's just dumb, and then morgana said "they were extremely tricky, and were obviously trained well", which made me go '... NO.' Also the bit where the student council person demands to see the mafia boss, like... really? are you a loving idiot?

q: in the J version, is 'mafia' replaced with 'yakuza'?

But maybe your take is still correct. IDK.

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

5,000 yen and no spent time. Fortune is pretty good.

Rank 1 helps you get social stats faster
Rank 3 gets you money faster
Rank 5 is kinda worthless (preview next confidant ability for one of your choice)
Rank 7 deepens bonds with a confidant of your choice
Rank 10 is also kinda worthless (preview all confidant abilities for one of your choice)

Scorps
Feb 24, 2008

Oh, lighten up Mr. Dooms-and-Gloom, "embezzle" is metal.
This is my first Persona and am roughly mid May I believe? I was just wondering how people manage to clear the palaces in 1 night? It took me like 4 to clear out the first palace so I'm just wondering if I'm majorly missing something. I did try to exploit weaknesses whenever possible but I basically just had to leave when I ran out of SP each day. Should I have relied more on auto attacks? I didn't see the advice to buy new weapons until after I had beaten it but I'm just wondering as it is gearing towards the 2nd Palace if there is some major thing I'm missing that would shorten things up more.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

havenwaters posted:

Rank 1 helps you get social stats faster

loving what

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

redreader posted:

one bit that really got to me was when (pre boss 3 stuff) the student council person talks to gangsters, scares them off instead of playing along, then says 'they were gangsters', the two speech options are something like a: wow, how did you figure that out b: .....
I read option 'a' as 'super sarcastic' so I said that. The student council person took it at face value though 'yeah I figured them out, they were hard to spot but they were gangsters' and I thought, ok, maybe she's just dumb, and then morgana said "they were extremely tricky, and were obviously trained well", which made me go '... NO.' Also the bit where the student council person demands to see the mafia boss, like... really? are you a loving idiot?

no they're mafia in the jp version too

Scorps posted:

This is my first Persona and am roughly mid May I believe? I was just wondering how people manage to clear the palaces in 1 night? It took me like 4 to clear out the first palace so I'm just wondering if I'm majorly missing something. I did try to exploit weaknesses whenever possible but I basically just had to leave when I ran out of SP each day. Should I have relied more on auto attacks? I didn't see the advice to buy new weapons until after I had beaten it but I'm just wondering as it is gearing towards the 2nd Palace if there is some major thing I'm missing that would shorten things up more.
buy healing items and also sp restore items. the doctor sells both and there are vending machines all around town that'll sell you a couple SP restore items a week each.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

redreader posted:

No, its the Mafia there too. The Yakuza shows up elsewhere.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
im sorry gang

MagusDraco
Nov 11, 2011

even speedwagon was trolled

Saagonsa posted:

loving what

You get one more note. It may not work for everything (like dvds or whatever) but you can potentially get four notes instead of three (but it won't show the fourth note).

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

havenwaters posted:

You get one more note. It may not work for everything (like dvds or whatever) but you can potentially get four notes instead of three (but it won't show the fourth note).

If you'd get "four" notes (such as from watching a movie for the first time having read the movie book), does it get you five?

In any case that 100% guide being paraded around is actually pretty inefficient if only because he never uses Chihaya's S.Link booster OR stat booster. And even then it gets you every S.Link, book and game. I think this game might actually be the MOST lenient of the Personas, provided you go out and use all tools available to you.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
Chihaya's s.link is behind a massive paywall though, at least early game

Crabtree
Oct 17, 2012

ARRRGH! Get that wallet out!
Everybody: Lowtax in a Pickle!
Pickle! Pickle! Pickle! Pickle!

Dinosaur Gum

Harlock posted:

Everyone kind of reluctantly embraces their Persona but Makoto just is like gently caress yeah give me the power

I really wanted a quiet psychopath character that just screams SHUT THE gently caress UP AND GET OUT HERE, ITS TIME TO KILL during the whole I am thou bit. That or something similar to Futaba where someone goes into their own mental world and like forces their shadow to become a persona.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Lakbay posted:

Chihaya's s.link is behind a massive paywall though, at least early game

100k isn't that terrible to get, I'd say it should easily be initiated after Palace 3, earlier if you do some extra grinding or sell the pre-order Soma.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Pisses me off that Mishima hangs out in the place that costs 200 yen to get to and a bunch of his scenes are in the shibuya diner which is free to get to.

Yeah, 200 yen is nothing but drat you Mishima

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Infinity Gaia posted:

100k isn't that terrible to get, I'd say it should easily be initiated after Palace 3, earlier if you do some extra grinding or sell the pre-order Soma.

Or you could buy two of Takemi's SP restore accessories because gently caress Chihaya even if she did help me max Proficiency faster.

Infinity Gaia
Feb 27, 2011

a storm is coming...

Arist posted:

Or you could buy two of Takemi's SP restore accessories because gently caress Chihaya even if she did help me max Proficiency faster.

I'm just theorizing minmaxing my man, no need to worry, I also dislike Chihaya personally. But using her as early as possible could save up a LOT of days in the guide.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants
I'm afraid to read much of the thread because of spoilers, but is the 100% guide on gamefaqs the best guide to follow?

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!
I saw a machine translated one by a different person floating about but I don't know if that's spoiler-free too

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm afraid to read much of the thread because of spoilers, but is the 100% guide on gamefaqs the best guide to follow?

If you're talking about the spoiler-free guide, then yeah, I guess.

But I advise against trying to 100% this game on a first run, even if I seem to have put myself into a corner where I'm unable to max all my party members' Confidants.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Epi Lepi posted:

I'm not sure--I referred to it a few times early on but decided to go without a guide for my first run and it seemed all right. I will say that its timeline depends on you having a Persona of the matching Arcana whenever you do a social link hangout and the guide won't remind you of this, so if you're determined to actually follow it make sure you keep that in mind.

(It's my opinion that trying to max everything on a first playthrough with a guide sucks all the fun out of Persona, but if you're the kind of person who's going to stress too much about how you spend your time if you don't have a guide, the GameFAQs one seems all right.)

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy
If nothing else, trying to 100% this game with a guide on your first run is odd because you have to do NG+ to see and do everything in the game, which means you may as well just save the 100% for NG+ where you start with maxed social stats and millions of yen

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Infinity Gaia posted:

I think this game might actually be the MOST lenient of the Personas, provided you go out and use all tools available to you.

I don't recall maxing the stats to be as easy in the previous games as it is in this game, assuming they max at 5 because I got all 3's so far and I'm still in June

Gruckles
Mar 11, 2013

Josuke Higashikata posted:

Pisses me off that Mishima hangs out in the place that costs 200 yen to get to and a bunch of his scenes are in the shibuya diner which is free to get to.

I like how Mishima begins spending every night on the street corner of the Red Light District even though he complained about how some gay dudes were giving him attention when you sent him there the first time.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

wizard on a water slide posted:

If nothing else, trying to 100% this game with a guide on your first run is odd because you have to do NG+ to see and do everything in the game, which means you may as well just save the 100% for NG+ where you start with maxed social stats and millions of yen

Yeah, much like 3 and 4, Persona 5 has some stuff that requires NG+ (any time you see something that requires a high social stat early on, it's basically an NG+ bonus) so a true 100% run would be on NG+.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arist posted:

If you're talking about the spoiler-free guide, then yeah, I guess.

But I advise against trying to 100% this game on a first run, even if I seem to have put myself into a corner where I'm unable to max all my party members' Confidants.

Alt. Use the guide because who the hell has time to play an 80 hour RPG twice and the links are really good and cool.

Saigyouji
Aug 26, 2011

Friends 'ave fun together.
I haven't actually seen any NG+ only stat locks since right at the start of the game (dodging the chalk and talking back to Igor), and I coulda sworn P4 had more than that.

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zore posted:

Alt. Use the guide because who the hell has time to play an 80 hour RPG twice and the links are really good and cool.

This is my mentality

I thought the JP game havers said the only thing new in NG+ is a bonus boss

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
There's also the ultimate persona, that's NG+ only as well.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

If you know you're never going to do a second playthrough (or, y'know, not any time soon) and don't mind making every moment of your game into a checklist, then using a guide is a fine idea. (I really don't mean that to sound dismissive or anything--it's pretty reasonable to find the amount of options available at any time in a Persona game to be paralyzing and end up having less fun without a guide.)

Just remember that if you use the guide, you need to have a Persona with a matching Arcana whenever you hang out with a social link confidant or you won't be able to stick to the guide's timeline. That's generally good advice even if you aren't using a guide, of course. And that said, the guide also has a pretty good amount of time to spare, so if you slip up a few times, you should still be able to max all the confidants.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

I am loving this game but I have no interest in a NG+. I'll just watch any extra stuff on YouTube double secret hidden vid.me pages accessed through anonymized pastebin links

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Zore posted:

Yeah. This is my mentality as well. Mainly because I'm only playing while my wife is around since she likes to watch Persona. I'll probably do the NG+ stuff on my own just to get the platinum trophy, but she wants to see all the social links and what not to completion and having to hold some over to NG+ would suck for that.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Josuke Higashikata posted:

I think if you choose to teleport there from your phone text messages it might not take the money? It doesn't animate taking it at least but I never remember to look at the actual amount.

Epi Lepi
Oct 29, 2009

You can hear the voice
Telling you to Love
It's the voice of MK Ultra
And you're doing what it wants

Harrow posted:

I'm not sure--I referred to it a few times early on but decided to go without a guide for my first run and it seemed all right. I will say that its timeline depends on you having a Persona of the matching Arcana whenever you do a social link hangout and the guide won't remind you of this, so if you're determined to actually follow it make sure you keep that in mind.

(It's my opinion that trying to max everything on a first playthrough with a guide sucks all the fun out of Persona, but if you're the kind of person who's going to stress too much about how you spend your time if you don't have a guide, the GameFAQs one seems all right.)

My girlfriend and I are playing together, I'm new to the series, she's not, and we started using the guide but it was confusing to me a bit. Like it says to take the job at the convenience store but then doesn't seem to tell you when to go to work. That probably means go work when we can or it seems appropriate but I felt like I was missing something. Again, I only skimmed a little bit going past where we are so maybe it does and I missed it but I was concerned we were looking at a crap guide.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Epi Lepi posted:

My girlfriend and I are playing together, I'm new to the series, she's not, and we started using the guide but it was confusing to me a bit. Like it says to take the job at the convenience store but then doesn't seem to tell you when to go to work. That probably means go work when we can or it seems appropriate but I felt like I was missing something. Again, I only skimmed a little bit going past where we are so maybe it does and I missed it but I was concerned we were looking at a crap guide.

The job at the convenience store doesn't give stat ups and is really only useful for one of the requests later on.

JT Jag
Aug 30, 2009

#1 Jaguars Sunk Cost Fallacy-Haver

Gruckles posted:

I like how Mishima begins spending every night on the street corner of the Red Light District even though he complained about how some gay dudes were giving him attention when you sent him there the first time.
He also always wears his school clothes to the red light district, which might explain why he's getting no action

Zore
Sep 21, 2010

Epi Lepi posted:

No it says that in a weird place. It'll tell you when to go to any job (its always just to unlock a mememto mission or get stats and is usually a few months in)

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Mordiceius posted:

Yeah. This is my mentality as well. Mainly because I'm only playing while my wife is around since she likes to watch Persona. I'll probably do the NG+ stuff on my own just to get the platinum trophy, but she wants to see all the social links and what not to completion and having to hold some over to NG+ would suck for that.

Aw man, now I feel bad. My girlfriend's watching me play--she enjoyed the Persona 4 animation so she wanted to see Persona 5--but because I'm going without a guide I'm probably not going to max every confidant. Now I'm sad she might miss the ending of a confidant story she ends up liking :ohdear:

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!

Harrow posted:

Aw man, now I feel bad. My girlfriend's watching me play--she enjoyed the Persona 4 animation so she wanted to see Persona 5--but because I'm going without a guide I'm probably not going to max every confidant. Now I'm sad she might miss the ending of a confidant story she ends up liking :ohdear:

Yeah, I introduced my wife to Persona 4 via the Giant Bomb endurance run and it drove her loving crazy that they never maxed Kanji's social link as he was one of her favorites.

Plus, I'm crazy and neurotic and would probably flail around miserably with all the options and choices available at all times.

Another reason she likes the guide is that now we know which dialog choices actually matter, allowing us to play with complete freedom on all other choices (instead of constantly wondering "what would the game WANT US to say? We hate the cops.)

Mordiceius fucked around with this message at 22:07 on Apr 10, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
:siren: ATLUS EMPLOYEES DON"T READ THIS POST

There is a site called Youtube where you can watch them all.