Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Supremezero posted:

He's a starving artist.

Oh, that actually makes a lot of sense.

Also Akechi continues to be a trash boy

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Yeah, Catherine owns and yeah it's honestly probably not right to compare it to Persona/SMT games considering how it really isn't a similar game at all

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Catherine has that nice feeling of accomplishment when you figure out how the techniques. The tutorials are just detailed enough that it doesn't really show you how to do them, just that you can do these specific things to progress. So when that twigs in your head and using these things you probably wouldn't have thought of, it's real good.

And then when you come back to it when you're a Catherine pro and you're just owning all the levels, that's also fun as hell.

I pretty much agree that it's not comparable to the Persona/SMT as a whole though, other than it being a sort of prototype for Persona 5's presentation.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

I'm the weirdo that loved Digital Devil Saga 1 and 2.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

Supremezero posted:

He's a starving artist.

Mercer's delivery of Yusuke's lines really make some things. My favorite trait is his obsession with food and money, in spite of/because of his position as a starving artist.

My favorite party banter line is his chest callout. "Joker, a treasure chest! We can get more money." You can hear the italics in his voice, it's great.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

That's not weird, it's good. Those games are awesome.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

I couldn't really settle into DDS because the mouth tits creep me out. Which is probably the point.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Asking for a endgame spoiler regarding the traitor, only hoping for a yes or no answer. Now that I've had I know who it is spoiled I'm paranoid that it's going to be another Shinji and it's not worth actually using him outside seeing his All Out Attack screen. Does he leave forever at a certain point?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
After that dungeon

CAPTAIN CAPSLOCK
Sep 11, 2001

Arist posted:

I totally get and respect Catherine's weird puzzle game-ness, don't get me wrong

I'm just insanely bad at it

Competitive Catherine at Evo is the most hype poo poo ever.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Captain Baal posted:

After that dungeon

Kinda figured. Spoilers continued. I'm thankful that him being a traitor isn't even a twist. Like someone in the thread mentioned the pancake line which I glossed over but even without that they kinda play him being a piece of poo poo on the nose. SIU dude lookin out a window "Hm yes we need to crush Sae next." Goro slides into the group "hey so who wants to go after Sae? Guys? Good idea yes :D I sure do love justice."

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I love Goro

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kinda figured. Spoilers continued. I'm thankful that him being a traitor isn't even a twist. Like someone in the thread mentioned the pancake line which I glossed over but even without that they kinda play him being a piece of poo poo on the nose. SIU dude lookin out a window "Hm yes we need to crush Sae next." Goro slides into the group "hey so who wants to go after Sae? Guys? Good idea yes :D I sure do love justice."

It's still totally worth using him throughout the entire dungeon.

Rirse
May 7, 2006

by R. Guyovich
I am doing the third palace in my game, and wondering if it has a hard "you need to return to the real world" section like the second palace did? I just got to the part where you reached the elevator and killed the miniboss guarding a pin number.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Rirse posted:

I am doing the third palace in my game, and wondering if it has a hard "you need to return to the real world" section like the second palace did? I just got to the part where you reached the elevator and killed the miniboss guarding a pin number.

It doesn't you can keep going if you want until you hit the end

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Nope, you can do all the dungeon crawling in one day and then the boss the next

Intoluene
Jul 6, 2011

Activating self-destruct sequence!
Fun Shoe
It's a long one, though. Also, when the shopping channel offers the 20x Strange Stew pack, TAKE IT. It's rough to use at times but 30% SP recovery during battle at the expense of a Debilitate will extend your stay in certain dungeons by a huge factor if you use it smartly.

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Kinda figured. Spoilers continued. I'm thankful that him being a traitor isn't even a twist. Like someone in the thread mentioned the pancake line which I glossed over but even without that they kinda play him being a piece of poo poo on the nose.

It's kind of great that Goro being the traitor is so blatantly obvious and not at all a twist; this guy who's been actively antagonising us, shown to be conspiring with people who are ALSO antagonising us, forces himself into the party and mandates that we go after Sae for no reason is a mole?! Well I never! It kind of distracted everyone from the massive amounts of Real Spoilers in general though, which is why Goro being so blatantly shady owns.

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

Just because they're not quite as good as King Abaddon or Nocturne doesn't mean they're bad. They're still very, very good and awesome

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

I can't believe it took me this long to figure out that Mishima is voiced by Sean Chiplock

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I absolutely adore 1 but 2 was not that great for me.

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
Makotos upgraded Persona simultaneously owns and sucks I have never been so conflicted

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Okay these stat blocks are getting ridiculous. You need max Proficency to even get Haru to rank 2

Terper posted:

I can't believe it took me this long to figure out that Mishima is voiced by Sean Chiplock

A bold choice casting Rean Coldsteel as the lovely hanger-on for the actual Persona protagonists

Shoehead
Sep 28, 2005

Wassup, Choom?
Ya need sumthin'?
I dropped a tenner on the P3 stuff just because I love P3 so much.

Atomic Robo-Kid
Aug 18, 2008

.Blast.Processing.

Dragonatrix posted:

Just because they're not quite as good as King Abaddon or Nocturne doesn't mean they're bad. They're still very, very good and awesome

I really wish both Raidou games would be re released on Ps4. I put some time into the first one and never even started Abaddon. (Still have my copy that came with a jack frost plush.)

They remind me of Shadow Hearts, and I'm still foolishly waiting on those to come back one day.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

I'm in what I assume is the final dungeon and it's kind of a hilarious slog. We've got floor tile puzzles, enemies that take forever to kill and eat all your SP (I maxed Sojiro's s-link but wasn't able to make curry before I entered the dungeon, because the game said "WELP GO TO MEMENTOS DEPTHS RIGHT NOW" and since it's so urgent I don't know if you can even leave and come back another day), and an hour between save points. If this goes on for much longer, I'm dropping the difficulty to Safe (from Normal) because I'm not enjoying this place a whole lot.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

god bless yusuke

Anzen
Oct 21, 2010
Yusuke's the best character in the game.

Doc Morbid posted:

I'm in what I assume is the final dungeon and it's kind of a hilarious slog. We've got floor tile puzzles, enemies that take forever to kill and eat all your SP (I maxed Sojiro's s-link but wasn't able to make curry before I entered the dungeon, because the game said "WELP GO TO MEMENTOS DEPTHS RIGHT NOW" and since it's so urgent I don't know if you can even leave and come back another day), and an hour between save points. If this goes on for much longer, I'm dropping the difficulty to Safe (from Normal) because I'm not enjoying this place a whole lot.

Talk to Justine outside the Velvet Room door. She'll fully heal your party's HP and SP.

DMorbid
Jan 6, 2011

With our special guest star, RUSH! YAYYYYYYYYY

Anzen posted:

Talk to Justine outside the Velvet Room door. She'll fully heal your party's HP and SP.
Oh, well, that helps. :downs: Thanks.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
RIP Ryuji, I will always know as you my friend despite the fact a bunch of girls beat you up

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Fifth palace spoilers: nooooooooooo :(

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
It's a shame there's no same-sex romance options in this game because Yusuke, Akechi, and Mishima are all pretty much well set up for it in various ways.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

It's a shame there's no same-sex romance options in this game because Yusuke, Akechi, and Mishima are all pretty much well set up for it in various ways.

Mishima feels like a fan club than actual friend...

I would date the hell out of Yusuke, Ryuji, and Pleasant Boy though.

Alder fucked around with this message at 09:20 on Apr 11, 2017

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Atomic Robo-Kid posted:

I prefer them to the SMT mainseries just like Persona. It's okay dude.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Alder posted:

I would date the hell out of Yusuke and Pleasant Boy though.

Same

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Tricky Dick Nixon posted:

Mishima sucks though.

Ryuji not your type?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I don't want to gently caress Ryuji, he is my bro.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

Captain Baal posted:

I don't want to gently caress Ryuji, he is my bro.

He can be both! I like him more than all the best friend characters so far.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yeah the dynamic with Ryuji is very different and wouldn't work on a romantic level, imo.

Mishima is definitely fan club material but the context of your relationship with him and where it goes is basically vicariously living through you and parasitically trying to wager the Phantom Thieves into his own actualization until he realizes that it's just another crutch like trying out for the volleyball team and becoming Kamoshida's minion. And considering the protagonist is surrounded by a world that rejects and smears him having someone in his corner means it's not completely one sided. So there'd be room to evolve into it. I have a feeling I like Mishima more as a character than most, though.

I did treat him terribly but I was playing Joker as basically a jerk. And the nerd mostly deserves it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!

Alder posted:

He can be both!

"Friends nowadays get THAT close to each other?"