Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Terper posted:

You get to hang out with Lala-chan though
god please let me social link with lala-chan

lala-chan better be the marie of Persona 5 Crimson

also if the inevitable Persona 5 re-release doesn't have (end of the game spoilers) an Accomplice-esque ending or a Goro redemption thing, then why the gently caress would you make it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Capsaicin
Nov 17, 2004

broof roof roof
Just found a weird....bug? I'm in Palace 2, and the gold items you can see with your Third Eye that I got the first time through, I can steal them again a second time through even though they aren't there anymore.

Instant Grat
Jul 31, 2009

Just add
NERD RAAAAAAGE
Part of the reason Persona 3 is good is that it does a bunch of stuff to hammer home the point that you are playing as this one guy, and the other people in your party are seaparate characters, they're not just extensions of the player. Even though some of those changes go against popular wisdom and strictly speaking make the game more tedious and difficult, I think it was a worthwhile decision, and it really pulled me in when I first played it.

This is why you can't directly control your party members, you can only give them general roles to fill (Support, Go for weaknesses, All-out assault, etc). If you wanna change their equipment, you gotta actually go over to them in the dungeon and give them the item you want them to equip. Sometimes they'll be an idiot and change into something much less good, and you'll have to tell them again to use the goddamn Toy Bow because it's really good early game okay. Sometimes when you wanna head to the dungeon, someone won't be available because they're sick or they're bummed out about bad exam scores or whatever. You can split up your party and make everyone go look for treasure on their own, and sometimes they'll get caught up in a fight and need you to rescue them.

After P3FES, they decided to trade that in for a more streamlined and traditional approach to party control, where (as far as dungeons are concerned) the other characters are basically little remote control robots the main character carries around in their pocket. Sometimes they make funny quips, or tell you the solution to the puzzle before you've even tried it like you're playing Virtue's Last Reward on super-duper-easy mode or something. It's not necessarily better or worse, it's just a different weighing of priorities of convenience vs. immersion through gameplay mechanics.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I kind of wish there was a NG+ where you keep the s.link bonuses you got in the previous playthrough.

Or just "gently caress the story just use whoever you want" type thing. Haru vs Kamoshida? Why not??? You already saw the plot who cares.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I kind of wish there was a NG+ where you keep the s.link bonuses you got in the previous playthrough.

NG+ spoilers: If you max a Confidant chain, you get an item at the end of the game that bestows some or all of the benefits. Like massages for Temperance, all the gun techniques for The Tower, the EXP bonuses from The Moon, etc.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Terper posted:

tbf you could just work at the bar for that.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Capsaicin posted:

Just found a weird....bug? I'm in Palace 2, and the gold items you can see with your Third Eye that I got the first time through, I can steal them again a second time through even though they aren't there anymore.

I keep picking up gold items that dont exist, except my bug is the opposite and they arent highlighted in gold but I can swipe them. They always have nothing though

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?

Arist posted:

This is insane to me, Persona 3 sucks about so much arcane bullshit

MC being able to use multiple weapons, fusion spells that aren't consumable items, AI tactics that are actually useful like knock down, these are "arcane bullshit" to you?

I'm also really not a fan of the shoehorned in "team up with a party member" thing they added to P3P, both because it takes forever because of crappy PSP loading times (and turning it down still eats up time) and also just sort of looks like poo poo

sexpig by night
Sep 8, 2011

by Azathoth

Terper posted:

The fact that she's not the S. Link is the greatest disgrace of this game.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

As much as I enjoy Persona's battle system, I kind of wish they'd just switch over to the Press Turn system from SMT instead of the knockdown/1 More concept that Persona has had since 3. Persona 5's version of it is definitely the best--I love the Baton Pass mechanic a whole lot--but the reason I think I prefer Press Turn is because it's still applicable during boss fights. The "knockdown when hit with an element the target is weak to" thing is cool in random battles but has to be toned down or basically unused during bosses or it would trivialize them. It ends up leading to boss battles needing some sort of gimmick to feel dynamic and interesting, or you're just using your strongest attacks to knock off HP as quickly as possible. Press Turns don't really trivialize things, so bosses can still have elemental weaknesses and using Press Turns can be important to actually doing well against the boss.

I dunno, the knockdowns do make random battles go faster so maybe it's worth it for that.

Tricky Dick Nixon
Jul 26, 2010

by Nyc_Tattoo
I like Ohya a fair bit. She continues the theme of all the Confidants not just being interesting people and friendships but collaborators, providing something that together makes the Phantom Thieves stronger for the connection. She's also a manipulative person with a desperate charm that belies her natural talent and desire to know the truth. She, along with Tora, Iwai, and Sadayo, represent adults equally hosed with and embittered by the system and I like that, as The Devil, she's not someone to look up to for it, but still somehow "one of the good ones."

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

MC being able to use multiple weapons, fusion spells that aren't consumable items, AI tactics that are actually useful like knock down, these are "arcane bullshit" to you?

I'm also really not a fan of the shoehorned in "team up with a party member" thing they added to P3P, both because it takes forever because of crappy PSP loading times (and turning it down still eats up time) and also just sort of looks like poo poo
I honestly cannot tell you the last time I worried about my main weapon in a Persona game. Persona 3 also had weird weapon fusion where you could put a Persona in your sword and I dunno why you'd do that but okay

Persona 3 also had Heart Items where if you kept a Persona around long enough, you'd get like a weapon or something maybe

There were only seventeen fusion spells in the game and I can't remember how the game told you what would be a fusion ability or even what they were outside of Jack Frost and Pyro Jack doing a comedy bit

I've never used sincerely used AI tactics in my life, I only use my brain's tactics which does the same thing without Yukari throwing Wind Break at the start of every fight

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

As much as I enjoy Persona's battle system, I kind of wish they'd just switch over to the Press Turn system from SMT instead of the knockdown/1 More concept that Persona has had since 3. Persona 5's version of it is definitely the best--I love the Baton Pass mechanic a whole lot--but the reason I think I prefer Press Turn is because it's still applicable during boss fights. The "knockdown when hit with an element the target is weak to" thing is cool in random battles but has to be toned down or basically unused during bosses or it would trivialize them. It ends up leading to boss battles needing some sort of gimmick to feel dynamic and interesting, or you're just using your strongest attacks to knock off HP as quickly as possible. Press Turns don't really trivialize things, so bosses can still have elemental weaknesses and using Press Turns can be important to actually doing well against the boss.

I dunno, the knockdowns do make random battles go faster so maybe it's worth it for that.
I honestly keep operating on the idea that this game DOES have the press turn system and I wish I could break myself of it. The One More giving you extra turns and then being able to pass those on too doesn't Like enemies have missed me and attacked again and I've had to go "Okay, what? That's....no you can't do that!" before I remember what game I'm playing.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

YoshiOfYellow posted:

I ended up only having the option to hang with Ryuji during that and you end up running into Yusuke who bought a giant shrimp platter because he found it aesthetically pleasing and not to actually eat it. It's great because all Ryuji can do is go "oh right of course".

I had 3 options. I wonder if there were any more possible? It was a tough choice as...

Well Ryuji is an idiot, Makoto is cool, but Hifumi turns into a Yugioh villain when she plays Shogi... But Makoto is cool but Hifumi turns into...

33 hours later I decided to go with Hifumi.

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

RME posted:

goro is a pleasant smiley boy and all of you are neither pleasant nor smiley to him

He's an rear end hole and I hope he slips up and arrests himself!!!

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Ohya is ok but her confidant abilities are seemingly less than useless and actively harmful because it prevents you from easily jacking up the alarm to make treasure demons spawn.

Moltrey posted:

I honestly cannot tell you the last time I worried about my main weapon in a Persona game. Persona 3 also had weird weapon fusion where you could put a Persona in your sword and I dunno why you'd do that but okay

Persona 3 also had Heart Items where if you kept a Persona around long enough, you'd get like a weapon or something maybe

There were only seventeen fusion spells in the game and I can't remember how the game told you what would be a fusion ability or even what they were outside of Jack Frost and Pyro Jack doing a comedy bit

I've never used sincerely used AI tactics in my life, I only use my brain's tactics which does the same thing without Yukari throwing Wind Break at the start of every fight

Changing weapons around actually sort of matters in P3 because it had different types of phys damage, being able to give MC a toy bow and hit pierce weaknesses a second time without relying on yukari was a pretty pro move during parts of the early game, for example. It also lets you avenge shinji by taking on his weapon instead of being another character that can use slash attacks, that thing most of your party already does. Also those special persona fusion weapons are pretty broken.

As for AI tactics, literally the only difference between "knock down" and how you approach 90% of random battles is that it saves you that half second of hitting X twice to cast the spell yourself. It's really only with P5 that the combat in these games got complicated enough outside of bosses that you can't automate it, and it makes zero sense to remove the actually useful AI tactics and replace them with the lovely ones that P4 and (for some reason) this game have. It's removing an option for no reason and they may as well have just made it direct control only.

The rest of this post are things that are still in the portable version so I dunno why you're bringing it up.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

darealkooky posted:

:same:

The intro and ending are sort of the best parts of the whole game, the crazy anime cutscenes make them a lot more effective than the lovely in-game models or static images the PSP has to deal with.

Also they removed or heavily changed a bunch of mechanics for literally no reason besides "this is how persona 4 did it" which is kinda lovely because except for direct control P4 did all those things worse imo

However, they also changed the tired mechanic in P3P to be significantly less poo poo. They really should have removed it outright, but man it's beyond garbage in FES.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

tiredness lets you feel better by taking a dump so it was a good and cool mechanic

also thank you for reminding me that P3P made you have to pay to heal ala the fox (except without the Slink to reduce the costs or cool animal friend wrapping) whereas the original game just healed you when you returned to the dungeon entrance for free (but people who are tired left so you had a tradeoff there)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

darealkooky posted:

Ohya is ok but her confidant abilities are seemingly less than useless and actively harmful because it prevents you from easily jacking up the alarm to make treasure demons spawn.

Changing weapons around actually sort of matters in P3 because it had different types of phys damage, being able to give MC a toy bow and hit pierce weaknesses a second time without relying on yukari was a pretty pro move during parts of the early game, for example. It also lets you avenge shinji by taking on his weapon instead of being another character that can use slash attacks, that thing most of your party already does. Also those special persona fusion weapons are pretty broken.

As for AI tactics, literally the only difference between "knock down" and how you approach 90% of random battles is that it saves you that half second of hitting X twice to cast the spell yourself. It's really only with P5 that the combat in these games got complicated enough outside of bosses that you can't automate it, and it makes zero sense to remove the actually useful AI tactics and replace them with the lovely ones that P4 and (for some reason) this game have. It's removing an option for no reason and they may as well have just made it direct control only.

The rest of this post are things that are still in the portable version so I dunno why you're bringing it up.
Me forgetting that P3P had different damage types for Phys made me go "oh GOD RIGHT" outloud

so

take that as you well

I couldn't tell you why I like having Psy and Nuclear damage back but when you told me about the damage types again, it was like that feeling when you step going down a flight of stairs

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Instant Grat posted:

Part of the reason Persona 3 is good is that it does a bunch of stuff to hammer home the point that you are playing as this one guy, and the other people in your party are seaparate characters, they're not just extensions of the player. Even though some of those changes go against popular wisdom and strictly speaking make the game more tedious and difficult, I think it was a worthwhile decision, and it really pulled me in when I first played it.

This is why you can't directly control your party members, you can only give them general roles to fill (Support, Go for weaknesses, All-out assault, etc). If you wanna change their equipment, you gotta actually go over to them in the dungeon and give them the item you want them to equip. Sometimes they'll be an idiot and change into something much less good, and you'll have to tell them again to use the goddamn Toy Bow because it's really good early game okay. Sometimes when you wanna head to the dungeon, someone won't be available because they're sick or they're bummed out about bad exam scores or whatever. You can split up your party and make everyone go look for treasure on their own, and sometimes they'll get caught up in a fight and need you to rescue them.

After P3FES, they decided to trade that in for a more streamlined and traditional approach to party control, where (as far as dungeons are concerned) the other characters are basically little remote control robots the main character carries around in their pocket. Sometimes they make funny quips, or tell you the solution to the puzzle before you've even tried it like you're playing Virtue's Last Reward on super-duper-easy mode or something. It's not necessarily better or worse, it's just a different weighing of priorities of convenience vs. immersion through gameplay mechanics.

Counterpoint, having to work around the idiocy of the computer sucks, and the very idea they were going for with the "distance" they were trying to create was bad in the first place

darealkooky posted:

Persona 3 having multiple physical damage types was bad in the first place because it led to poo poo like that one boss that was immune to everything but Pierce and you had to bring an insanely specific party setup., fusion spells I guess I'll give you but those were insanely situational anyway, AI tactics suck.

darealkooky posted:

tiredness lets you feel better by taking a dump so it was a good and cool mechanic

also thank you for reminding me that P3P made you have to pay to heal ala the fox (except without the Slink to reduce the costs or cool animal friend wrapping) whereas the original game just healed you when you returned to the dungeon entrance for free (but people who are tired left so you had a tradeoff there)

Both times I played P3 I maxed out the money counter, this is not an issue. Also tiredness is so, so bad.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

wizard on a water slide posted:

He's an rear end hole and I hope he slips up and arrests himself!!!

If Goro arrests himself does that mean he is getting screwed by the cops and thus should be our pal?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Moltrey posted:

Me forgetting that P3P had different damage types for Phys made me go "oh GOD RIGHT" outloud

so

take that as you well

I couldn't tell you why I like having Psy and Nuclear damage back but when you told me about the damage types again, it was like I was like I missed a step going down a flight of stair

Psy and Nuclear are cool because now there aren't any redundant party member damage types unless you count physical. Gun is cool because everyone has a gun and also because everyone has a gun.

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Capsaicin posted:

Yup, I did this. Has never worked for me in a dungeon since though.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

Arist posted:

lots of things are bad

I'm sorry you're such a filthy casual :colbert:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Arist posted:

Psy and Nuclear are cool because now there aren't any redundant party member damage types unless you count physical. Gun is cool because everyone has a gun and also because everyone has a gun.

More people than Haru should have gotten Gun skills tbh.

I think it would have given Yusuke a decent niche so he isn't just 'Ryugi but worse and also with ice'

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
dog if you made me choose between playing Persona 3 OG or playing Persona 1 OG, well I'm honestly leaning toward Persona 1

cause that game is bullshit, but it's cool bullshti

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I don't like Persona 3 very much

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
same.

legit my least favorite persona tbqh

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Arist posted:

Persona 3 having multiple physical damage types was bad in the first place because it led to poo poo like that one boss that was immune to everything but Pierce and you had to bring an insanely specific party setup., fusion spells I guess I'll give you but those were insanely situational anyway, AI tactics suck.

Multiple physical damage types are good as long as they're also represented in physical skills, in my opinion, because in that case they're no different from elemental damage types. I don't remember if Persona 3 did that or not, but physical and gun being different damage types in SMT4 was fine even though only the protagonist could actually equip a real gun.

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]
I remember the p3p healing being hilariously cheap like immediately after the first full moon.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Persona 3 is great, just mechanically garbage compared to all the games that came after it.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things

Saagonsa posted:

Persona 3 is great, just mechanically garbage compared to all the games that came after it.

Eh, it has a lot of really weird cruft to its story (Aigis, etc) and a bunch of its original social links are terrible

Also has the whole 'you have to date every girl' thing as Male MC if you want to max your links.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
For an actual content post, Persona 3 feels like this oddball transistional period between Persona 2 and the calendar system they wanted. Thing feel scattered and dense, while at the same time not fully explored. A loooot of it's social link writing is also absolutely inane and truly gives me a headache sometimes. It also feels powerfully of it's time and 2006 is a weird time to have that be. I mean things like the tone, aesthetic, themes and imagery that feel maybe too Scene for it's own good. It feels overall just all over the place with characters like Ken, Koromaru and Aigis. Aigis also introduces the whole Kirijo Group - Creating Shadows - Plumes of Dusk - Labrys situation that I feel it just collapses under the weight of what it wants to do at times.

Persona 3 isn't bad at all, it's fine video game that has only gotten better every time they've remade it but it is certainly the Persona game I like the least, despite it being my very first Shin Megami Tensei related game. But now it's stuck as the middle child between it's two older siblings (if we count P2 as just a duology) that were cool and strange and can ride high on that and it's two younger sibling that are much more focused and refined

Expect My Mom fucked around with this message at 23:07 on Apr 11, 2017

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Persona 3 is good because without it Labrys wouldn't exist and Labrys is great.

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Koromaru is a good dog :colbert:

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Harrow posted:

Koromaru is a good dog :colbert:

add a world/aeon s link that is the shibe that is hanging out when you arrive at the beginning of the game

it was kind of bullshit that walking koromaru wasn't an s link unto itself

AlphaKeny1
Feb 17, 2006

I really like P3, but I really don't like playing it.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Zore posted:

Eh, it has a lot of really weird cruft to its story (Aigis, etc) and a bunch of its original social links are terrible

I honestly really don't get why Aigis is so weird to some people. Considering everything else in Persona, an android isn't really that far out there. Also yeah there are some really bad links in P3, but also some of the best links in the series like hermit and sun.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The third palace plotline rules so far mainly because of Makoto. Previous Persona games conditioned me to expect every palace to be revealed and solved in roughly the same way until the full team is assembled and the plot kicks into high gear. NOPE though, you're gonna dance to her tune for a while, because you were idiot kids and she got you dead to rights.

Also if she hadn't done that and I wasn't already spoiled on team members I honestly would have expected the third palace to be hers and the Boy Detective to be our new party member because this girl is an inch away from boiling over holy poo poo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Saagonsa posted:

I got really lucky in Persona 3 and early on (20s or 30s) I got a Persona that randomly mutated Growth 3.

I immediately registered that drat thing and it became the origin for nearly every single Persona from there on out, as I fused Growth 3 into all the Personas.

This may have made the game very trivial.