Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

Vermain posted:

Okay, but what if instead I gave you ten more spells that were just a differently-shaped projectile?

:smith: fine, can you at least make the laser beam spell not awful?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

basalt
Jan 11, 2015

Bogart posted:

What is yall's favorite boss fight in Dark Souls (+ Bloodborne)? I think my favorites might be Artorias, the Burnt Ivory King, the Champion Gundyr, and Gehrmann.
Four Kings and The Dancer of the Boreal Valley, but the first and last games have many strong contenders.

Honestly, I didn't really enjoy any of the boss encounters in the second game. Some were less horrible than others, or had interesting ideas, but none resonated with me enough that I could choose a favourite. Vendrick, maybe?

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

First impressions of dreg heap are really bad. Running around the most boring area I've ever seen in a Souls game, constantly pursued by the most most annoying enemy I've ever seen in a souls game, and it appears to be unkillable since it respawns the second I drop it

Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Haroooooooooo

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Dreg Hep has a visually interesting concept that goes absolutely nowhere. "All of history melding together at the end of time" ends up being 1/3rd nondescript churches, 1/3rd piled-up ashes, and 1/3rd poison swamp.

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
I'm just glad it wasn't 2/3 swamp

KingSlime
Mar 20, 2007
Wake up with the Kin-OH GOD WHAT IS THAT?!
Also sounds like the theory that pygmy lords sold out the rest of humanity by teaming up with the gods was actually on point

The more I think about it, the more the corrupted dark seems like a nasty side effect of teaming up with the gods, it's a curse placed by humanity as the ringed city reveals. A pollution of humanity. Gwyn was a loving dick since day one and literally caused every thing in dark souls

KingSlime fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Apr 12, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Vermain posted:

Dreg Hep has a visually interesting concept that goes absolutely nowhere. "All of history melding together at the end of time" ends up being 1/3rd nondescript churches, 1/3rd piled-up ashes, and 1/3rd poison swamp.

It would have been way cooler if they actually ran wild with it and had each chunk of it be a minor like, montage of the game it represented rather than just be a glorified room or two featuring a few vaguely reminiscent features.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
:dings:
Taco Defender

Bogart posted:

What is yall's favorite boss fight in Dark Souls (+ Bloodborne)? I think my favorites might be Artorias, the Burnt Ivory King, the Champion Gundyr, and Gehrmann.

From 1, Artorias easily. The way he swings at you with his one good arm, when you only later realize he was doing that because he sacrificed his shield and broke his arm protecting Sif. If Artorias had both of his arms working when you fought him, he'd annihilate you. The music fits it too. You feel bad for the guy, because he was trying to save the world from the abyss, but he had to be stopped since he became corrupted in the process.

Tupac and Biggie are a second place probably.

From 2, it's either Alonne or the Ivory King. Alonne is great because you're rewarded with a seppuku if you kill him without ever being hit. The Ivory King has a very nice buildup to it, and his story parallels Artorias in many ways. He went to fight the abyss, only to have it consume him. When you finally battle through the demons with your Loyce Knight bros and see him step out of the portal to gently caress you up, it gives you goosebumps.

3. Dunno yet, haven't beaten it. The Nameless King is probably the most impressive looking battle I've ever seen in a Souls game. It's pretty visceral when you're running away from Gwyn's Son a guy riding a dragon, circling around you, preparing to throw a lightning spear at you in a thunderstorm.

Joey McChrist
Aug 8, 2005

Bogart posted:

ds: artorias
ds2: fume knight, alonne
ds3: champion gundyr, nameless king (gently caress the dragon though)
bb: ludwig, gehrman, maria, orphan

man bloodborne is good

LazyMaybe
Aug 18, 2013

oouagh

veni veni veni posted:

First impressions of dreg heap are really bad. Running around the most boring area I've ever seen in a Souls game, constantly pursued by the most most annoying enemy I've ever seen in a souls game, and it appears to be unkillable since it respawns the second I drop it

Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Haroooooooooo
you're not supposed to kill the flying thing, it's just a summon. in each area where there's one of those, there's an enemy around somewhere that creates the angel-thing, and if you kill them it goes away. also they stay dead forever

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
The Dreg Heap is one of my favorite concepts for a level in the whole series. Its visually amazing at first. Yeah its another grey level but its got a reason for it. All of the buildings mangled together makes for a very unique environment. The gameplay in the level really reflects this too. Its almost a complete downwards decent through cobbled architecture that feels very jarring and confusing, even though the actual layout is fairly straightforward. The atmosphere created by the shrieking angels and moaning murkmen is top notch too.

But its so short. Very quickly you drop into the Earthen Peak ruins, which isn't a bad area itself but it doesn't have the unique descent feeling of the first half of the level. It plays very much like a more refined version of those poison swamps everyone loves so much. But hey, I'm okay with that, as long as we eventually get back to the cool stu-

Oh that's it?

gently caress.

Vermain posted:

Pretty much. They really only melded together 3 areas from the series. You'd expect it to be a chaotic mash of all sorts of places but its just the High Wall, Earthen Peak, and Blighttown. Also Firelink Shrine as a boss arena if you can count that.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

Pretty much. They really only melded together 3 areas from the series. You'd expect it to be a chaotic mash of all sorts of places but its just the High Wall, Earthen Peak, and Blighttown. Also Firelink Shrine as a boss arena if you can count that.

Not really blight town, still earthen peak. Earthen Peak had those big goopy green pools and pots of poison swamp stank. The swamp you jog through is just a big green thing. It's not very blight-towny. I would really have rather had blight town and literally any other area from 2. Shrine of Amana would be great to fit with their weird love of water/swamp zones for this DLC.

SHY NUDIST GRRL
Feb 15, 2011

Communism will help more white people than anyone else. Any equal measures unfairly provide less to minority populations just because there's less of them. Democracy is truly the tyranny of the mob.

KingSlime posted:

Also sounds like the theory that pygmy lords sold out the rest of humanity by teaming up with the gods was actually on point

The more I think about it, the more the corrupted dark seems like a nasty side effect of teaming up with the gods, it's a curse placed by humanity as the ringed city reveals. A pollution of humanity. Gwyn was a loving dick since day one and literally caused every thing in dark souls

It's really interesting after seeing that video talking about stagnation being a big thing in the game. The city is trapped in a bubble, and the dark sign contains humanity

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Sorry Oceiros, but you can't clip out of the map to escape your fate as an easy boss.

Nuebot posted:

Not really blight town, still earthen peak. Earthen Peak had those big goopy green pools and pots of poison swamp stank. The swamp you jog through is just a big green thing. It's not very blight-towny. I would really have rather had blight town and literally any other area from 2. Shrine of Amana would be great to fit with their weird love of water/swamp zones for this DLC.

The crappy wooden shacks and giant tree roots aren't anywhere in Earthen Peak. They reminded me a lot of Blighttown though, so I think its a jumble of both.

It doesn't really matter either way though.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Internet Kraken posted:

The crappy wooden shacks and giant tree roots aren't anywhere in Earthen Peak. They reminded me a lot of Blighttown though, so I think its a jumble of both.

It doesn't really matter either way though.

Fair enough, yeah. Thinking about it that way just makes me really wish they'd gone for a thematic amalgamation rather than the segmented bits they did. Like a castle that just has jumbled bits of every major dark souls castle, the ur-cathedral featuring every church, a god drat poison toxic swamp to end all swamps forever with just bits and pieces from every stage that fits the theme tossed in chaotically. Could have been cool.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Internet Kraken posted:

Sorry Oceiros, but you can't clip out of the map to escape your fate as an easy boss.

The level of miscommunication between whoever designed Oceiros and whoever designed Oceiros' arena makes the Tower of Babel look like a minor squabble over dialects.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Internet Kraken posted:

Please... grant me death. Undo my shackles :qq:

New Concept Hole
Oct 10, 2012

東方動的
Some of the pre-release stuff showed Gundyr in Oceiros' arena, so maybe they didn't test the room very much with Oceiros in it.

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

New Concept Hole posted:

Some of the pre-release stuff showed Gundyr in Oceiros' arena, so maybe they didn't test the room very much with Oceiros in it.

A full on roguelike mod that randomizes enemy and boss placements would be crazy fun, if unfeasable. I really want to see Oceiros go dashing off the cliff in Gundyr's arena.

Orv
May 4, 2011
I just realized how cool it would be to rig up two Champion Gundyrs as players to fight each other. That'd be awesome. Also laggy as hell, but.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

veni veni veni posted:

Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Laser bolt
Haroooooooooo
Haroooooooooo

Did you not play bloodborne?

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer
Speaking of angels, did they nerf them something fierce? I just went through there and not only were they really slow to start firing, but they only seemed to fire in short bursts and they didn't even track hard enough to hit me :iiam:

Quite a far cry from the literal gatling gun laser show on release.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender

Nuebot posted:

A full on roguelike mod that randomizes enemy and boss placements would be crazy fun, if unfeasable. I really want to see Oceiros go dashing off the cliff in Gundyr's arena.

I have this crazy fantasy where From releases a Sword of Moonlight editor for their Souls games like they did for King's Field.

Crazy. But amazing. Mostly crazy.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

Bogart posted:

Flamelurker, Queelag, Artorias, Smelter Demon, The Rotten, Fume Knight, Sir Alonne, Abyss Waters, Sulyvahn, Dancer, Ludwig, Maria

Zaphod42 fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Apr 12, 2017

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

Node posted:

I have this crazy fantasy where From releases a Sword of Moonlight editor for their Souls games like they did for King's Field.

Crazy. But amazing. Mostly crazy.

I was actually really hoping that something like that would be part of the last DLC. Or like, just player created chalice dungeon sort of things.

lobotomy molo
May 7, 2007

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Your Computer posted:

Speaking of angels, did they nerf them something fierce? I just went through there and not only were they really slow to start firing, but they only seemed to fire in short bursts and they didn't even track hard enough to hit me :iiam:

Yup, now they basically can't kill you. It's pretty lame. i got through Shrine of Amana on release (console), all these complainers should toughen the gently caress up! That was crazy-bad, it was lame how much they nerfed it.

Also bloodring got nerfed to poo poo. Before it was -15 absorb, and pretty noticeable. Now it's -25. My medium armor dude gets -12% lightning resist when he puts it on, so basically one good sunlight spear and he's hosed. It's kinda crazy.

Also sunsword is broken good. 40/40/40 Dex/Str/Faith can get you like 700 AR now... on a straight sword. poo poo's nuts.

e: correction, bloodring is now -30% for all absorbs, while the prisoner's ring is -3% now. Well, poo poo, might as well get 15 extra levels worth of health/stamina/weight in return for like no penalty, relatively speaking. Before they were like -15%/-10%, so it was a lot closer.

lobotomy molo fucked around with this message at 08:13 on Apr 12, 2017

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Your Computer posted:

The patch they released last week nerfed the angels since so many people complained about them. Sadly it did not nerf the stupid giants and the archers they summon behind your back that will shred you if you gently caress up a roll.

Nuebot posted:

I was actually really hoping that something like that would be part of the last DLC. Or like, just player created chalice dungeon sort of things.

After seeing what people did with Mario Maker I don't even want to imagine the terrible designs most Souls players would make.

Node
May 20, 2001

KICKED IN THE COOTER
Taco Defender
One thing I really like about the boss battles in 3 is how the music is dynamic. I'm pretty sure the other Souls games don't do this. When a boss reaches a new stage, the music changes to something usually more powerful or dramatic, and its a seamless transition. That means they had to record two tracks for every boss with two stages. That really impressed me.

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Node posted:

One thing I really like about the boss battles in 3 is how the music is dynamic. I'm pretty sure the other Souls games don't do this. When a boss reaches a new stage, the music changes to something usually more powerful or dramatic, and its a seamless transition. That means they had to record two tracks for every boss with two stages. That really impressed me.

It's not actually seamless, it just crossfades into the phase 2 track when you trigger it. Of course, this isn't really that noticeable when you're in the middle of a crazy bossfight and it feels seemless :v:

I agree though, it's amazing. Vordt is a good example, I lose my poo poo every time the choir starts going crazy and he starts charging. It's sooo good :swoon: The best phase change music is probably Gael though, because holy poo poo that phase 3.

e: also the Friede fight, when the music kicks in in phase 2 you know poo poo just got real. Then it dies down as you kill them and..... it starts right the gently caress back up! Get ready for phase 3 nerd :getin:

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
Yeah the transition isn't seamless. Its just multiple separate tracks where one fades out and gets replaced as the fight enters the next phase. For the transitions to be perfect then they would have to be two tracks layered on top of each other, but that doesn't work when they want the second song to have a completely different structure. I don't think it was in any of the previous Souls games, but they did this a lot in Bloodborne.

Its cool when it works but I have a problem with DS3 and its multiple phase bosses. Sometimes they feel really forced. Crystal Sage has no business being a two phase boss when his first phase might as well not exist. You have fights like Oceiros where they have this nice beautiful song for phase 1, but phase 1 lasts all of 10 seconds because its not the real fight. The only way you will ever hear some of these tracks is if you listen to them outside of the game because the normal flow of a fight goes from one phase to another way too quickly.

AttackBacon
Nov 19, 2010
DEEP FRIED DIARRHEA

Bogart posted:

Orphan, Nameless King, Gael, Maria, Artorias, Midir, Freide, Tha Champ. In that order I think. There aren't many fights in the Souls series I don't like though, Bed of Chaos and Royal Rat Authority are the main ones that come to mind.

hampig
Feb 11, 2004
...curioser and curioser...

Fly Molo posted:

Also sunsword is broken good. 40/40/40 Dex/Str/Faith can get you like 700 AR now... on a straight sword.

Well this is 30 more stats than most builds use so you'd hope it does some more damage.

More usually it's going to be min stats/60 faith or 40 physical/40 faith using it as a buff weapon, and buff builds could probably do with a weapon like this since they've been pretty much outclassed since launch.

Torquemadras
Jun 3, 2013

They aren't necessarily what I would call the "best" boss fights in the entire series, but I really like the entire atmosphere for Burnt Ivory King, Orphan of Kos, Nameless King and Gael. They're all fights with great music, which turn absolutely loving insane in the later phases. They're all A+ duels with amazing visuals: the Ivory King leaving his portal and firing up his giant laser sword, the Orphan flipping the gently caress out and carpeting the entire bay with lightning, the Nameless King literally throwing stormclouds at you, and Gael ramping up more and more until the battlefield looks like an epic power metal album cover, complete with grungy flowing blood capes, epic beards and lightning everywhere.

I really think Gael, for me, has absolutely earned the spot for #1 boss. He's not extraordinarily difficult, and I would've liked a better conclusion with the painter girl afterwards, but other than that? Incredibly lead-up, awesome arena, great music, looks amazing, stylish as gently caress (those mid-air crossbow shots :allears: ), and story-wise absolutely amazing: it's the ACTUAL Dark Soul in action, holy poo poo

Rough Lobster
May 27, 2009

Don't be such a squid, bro
I like that if you look closely at Gael's cape you can see the screaming faces of the damned embedded in it. Reminds me a bit of Pursuer's Armor (which should have been brought back)

Jordbo
Mar 5, 2013

hampig posted:

Well this is 30 more stats than most builds use so you'd hope it does some more damage.

More usually it's going to be min stats/60 faith or 40 physical/40 faith using it as a buff weapon, and buff builds could probably do with a weapon like this since they've been pretty much outclassed since launch.

More reasonable builds still get 400-500 AR from the Sunlight Straight Sword, and if you build for the SSS you can use Lightning Blade for a considerable damage boost. But it's still comparable to the Broad Sword, Lothric Knight Sword, Dark Sword etc, it's just that straight swords are the strongest weapons in the game :shrug: They are almost as strong as greatswords and some of the ultra greatswords, but hit way faster and have no recovery at all. It's cool that they have no poise, do little poise damage, and have short reach, but the DPS is amazing

Augus
Mar 9, 2015

Internet Kraken posted:

The patch they released last week nerfed the angels since so many people complained about them. Sadly it did not nerf the stupid giants and the archers they summon behind your back that will shred you if you gently caress up a roll.

Just sprint.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

what are crucial things to do / items to get before i haul into NG+ ?

Willfrey
Jul 20, 2007

Why don't the poors simply buy more money?
Fun Shoe

alf_pogs posted:

I'd say just make sure you grabbed all the titanite slabs... And the +3 rings from the DLC's

unless you are trophy hunting i cant think of anything that critical that cant be had in your next playthrough. DS3's NG+ is lame compared to ds2

Willfrey fucked around with this message at 12:58 on Apr 12, 2017

RoadCrewWorker
Nov 19, 2007

camels aren't so great
Spend some souls to buy enough twinkling, scales and chunks to upgrade interesting stuff after ng+ resets the traders, maybe stock up on resins.

Coop at bosses that have embered hosts while you got access to their locations to get some easy currency

Possibly use respec or face editing before the counter resets
Grab all estus shards and upgrades in the playthrough

RoadCrewWorker fucked around with this message at 13:03 on Apr 12, 2017

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DXH
Dec 8, 2003

Ne Cede Malis

alf_pogs posted:

finish npc quests, or alternatively, murder all of them for their stuff

I tried the Sunlight Straight Sword a bit in PVP today and it's great, 404 AR at 24STR/16DEX/60FTH plus the fact that it's buffable means that with sacred oath, oath of sunlight and lightning blade i had over 700AR and i was hitting firelink hollows for 613. Basically this patch is a godsend for faith builds (my lightning lothric knight greatsword also hits like a loving truck now, it's amazing) and maybe makes buff builds viable now? I'm just happy I don't have to repeat yet another NG cycle with just a raw dragonslayer's axe now because that poo poo got old after a while