Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

super-scientific, ultra-gay

Lipstick Apathy

Moltrey posted:

I really hate that I'm too dumb to hang out with Makoto cause I'm at like Rank 8 with Ann and really need to figure out who I'm dating soon

you will also need to get to charm 5 for her so it'll be a while

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

HUMAN FISH
Jul 6, 2003

I Am A Mom With A
"BLACK BELT"
In AUTISM
I Have Strengths You Can't Imagine
Welp 104 hours later I have my life back again.

Makoto best girl, Yusuke best boy.

edit: Getting Trumpeter and debilitate just before the last palace bosses made it a bit too easy. Props to Ann for hitting the boss for 4200 though. (on normal)

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Zore posted:

And then there are the ones that are absolutely crushed like Fortune girl or Haru if you turn them down.

What's worse these scenes or the harem ending

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Meme Emulator posted:

I have quite a few at rank 8 and I cant figure out who Im going to date. Its Probably going to be Makoto but Ive fallen for Ann, Chihaya and Kawakami too... ... ...

please do not date your teacher

even if she is cool and good

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Zore posted:

Those are literally the only two references to any other Persona game unless you count Igor.

Also you can get a Rise poster as a souvenir I guess, but its the one from the subway.

They absolutely do work in save rooms though?

Two references too many :colbert:.

Honestly it doesnt bug me, the Naoto one just stuck out because the game also thinks of Goro as actual male Naoto. Unless they pulled off the same twist with him again and hid it much better than P4 did.

Shibuya station gave me flashbacks to last time I went there and got completely lost. At least this time I had an omniscient voice telling me which way was the wrong way.

Dryzen
Jul 23, 2011

Zore posted:

Don't date Ann because she's perfectly happy without you and also literally falls out of the story once Makoto enters to an absurd degree.

Just because you keep her in your backline forever doesn't mean she's literally gone from the story!!!

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

They scanlated the P5 manga already? I must read it but I can relate to him so much esp art books are expensive if you're broke af.

I'm going with Yusuke as asexual because why not he loves art more than anything else. Also, I can understand since his entire scholarship is based on his talent and losing that would be horrible.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
The real problem is what to do with Tae, doctor got me ill off that goth juice

also wearing the character's casual clothes in dungeons feels super dumb but also having Yusuke hold an assault rifle up while wearing that long t-shirt dress he wears owns, so does Makoto's mature fashion sense

UberJew posted:

you will also need to get to charm 5 for her so it'll be a while
god Makoto has such high standards, i really am not good enough

Zore posted:

Don't date Ann because she's perfectly happy without you and also literally falls out of the story once Makoto enters to an absurd degree.
yeah but she hot tho

Lakbay
Dec 14, 2006

My eye...MY EYE!!!

Alder posted:

Also, I can understand since his entire scholarship is based on his talent and losing that would be horrible.

Someone didn't max Emperor yet (not really spoilers)

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

The devs were smart to make Tae put her spiderweb dress back on for the scene where you decide whether or not to date her, made it real hard to stay loyal to Kawakami.

Palace 6 spoilers Lmao, what the hell is Shadow Sae? I love it

Levantine
Feb 14, 2005

GUNDAM!!!

UberJew posted:

please do not date your teacher

even if she is cool and good

i'm gonna!

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

Those are literally the only two references to any other Persona game unless you count Igor.

Also you can get a Rise poster as a souvenir I guess, but its the one from the subway.

I kinda like how Persona games include a reference or two to the previous Persona game but not necessarily any further back, and never things that matter to the story. Just little things to establish they're in the same world. Like Persona 4 had you visiting the Persona 3 school and you get to see some of the Persona 3 social link characters, and Persona 5 has a few background references to Persona 4.

Did Persona 3 make references to any previous Persona games? I don't remember.

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

I kinda like how Persona games include a reference or two to the previous Persona game but not necessarily any further back, and never things that matter to the story. Just little things to establish they're in the same world. Like Persona 4 had you visiting the Persona 3 school and you get to see some of the Persona 3 social link characters, and Persona 5 has a few background references to Persona 4.

The TV in the dorm shows an interview sometimes and all the guests are Persona 2 characters

not named but like "This hot 20 year old guy wants to be a cop like his older brother!"

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy

Scrap Dragon posted:

The devs were smart to make Tae put her spiderweb dress back on for the scene where you decide whether or not to date her, made it real hard to stay loyal to Kawakami.

seriously her fashion game is on point and it is a crime that i cannot find a hirez of her casual garb online like anywhere

tae is great as heck

Serf
May 5, 2011

Tae is bae.

Josuke Higashikata
Mar 7, 2013

Ann's dating scenes are pretty sweet. You should date her if you like her. :colbert:

Harrow
Jun 30, 2012

Zore posted:

It's good to have a life and happiness independent of who you're dating, though!

(Although from what I've seen of her so far Makoto is definitely best girl)

Moltrey posted:

The TV in the dorm shows an interview sometimes and all the guests are Persona 2 characters

Oh, right! And the MMO you can chat with your teacher through is named Innocent Sin Online, isn't it? (That's more of a fourth wall break but still)

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe
Makoto is like half goth with the haircut and red eyes, but Tae and Shadow Sae gon get me cheating

Expect My Mom
Nov 18, 2013

by Smythe

Harrow posted:

It's good to have a life and happiness independent of who you're dating, though!

(Although from what I've seen of her so far Makoto is definitely best girl)

Oh, right! And the MMO you can chat with your teacher through is named Innocent Sin Online, isn't it? (That's more of a fourth wall break but still)
Yeah and iirc your character is named Tatsuya and her's is Maya

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
I will also say I am very disappointed Makoto's evolved persona is just a transformer for some reason?

Like she doesn't even ride it any more. :(

atelier morgan
Mar 11, 2003

Lipstick Apathy
my solution to the tae conundrum is the dialogue options are there to take a pass at her and strike out in an adorably awkward teenager way

Arrrthritis
May 31, 2007

I don't care if you're a star, the moon, or the whole damn sky, you need to come back down to earth and remember where you came from
So, just finished the game after shotgunning it for a week. Some thoughts...

I ended up not using Goro for The dungeon that you get him in, because I had already relegated my protag to being primarily Light/Dark damage and swapping out team members whenever i needed to match an affinity. I never got to see his all out attack end-screen for this reason :( Overall I was pretty satisfied with his character- with him being an order version of the MC and him killing himself in the end.

Overall I thought the cast to this game was really strong. Like, way better than any other of the personas i've played. I think the only character I was dissatisfied with was Chihaya but I only got her S. link to rank 4 before the game forced me into mementos. Tora owns. Kawakami is great. Takemi is the best goth doctor. Ryuji, Makoto, and Futaba have probably the best arcs of the main cast, but Yusuke and Haru are still alright for what they are. Ann's was kind of weak but I enjoyed her presence throughout the game enough to make up for it.

I was 1 day away from maxing out my Haru S.Link, too :argh:

Overall if I was going to rank the palaces by the amount I enjoyed them/personal investment, it would probably be 6 > 1 > 4 > 7 > 2 > 3 > 5 with the endgame kind of being its own nebulous thing. I really hated dungeon 5 with its alpha/omega portal mechanics, deducing who the managers were, and UFO/Factory atmosphere. Like I never got the impression that Okumura was a big shot target so the entire thing screamed filler to me. The boss fight was pretty alright though, especially with the ...But nobody came part at the end. Thankfully all of the game after it owned.

(Last dungeon spoilers)

I really enjoyed the Igor/Yaldaboth reveal, and summoning satan to shoot robot god in the face. I'm going to miss deep voice Igor though, Every time he talked I thought he was going to drop a sick album. gently caress that Michael fight though. I was pretty sure I was gonna have to grind out a few more levels to kick the poo poo out of those angels before they could recarma him 6000 more HPs. Ryuji's buffs saved my rear end during that fight. That and Morgana & Haru using their crit abilities to down michael for a few extra all out attacks.

I never ended up maxing strength, and I didn't grind (like at all), so I never got to use any of my ultimate persona :(

e: oh yeah the second to last boss being a giant heart made me kinda lol.

Arrrthritis fucked around with this message at 21:21 on Apr 12, 2017

Jimbot
Jul 22, 2008

Aww yiss, I just fixed the thing from the pawn shop and it was all worth it.

Exmond
May 31, 2007

Writing is fun!

Harrow posted:

I think the school teacher you talk to in persona 3 (and plays a small role in the story) is from persona 2.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Question about Palace 7's big boss I haven't fought him yet but I'm able to. If I do will I be fast forwarded to the ending or will I have time to "await a change in heart"?

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Question about Palace 7's big boss I haven't fought him yet but I'm able to. If I do will I be fast forwarded to the ending or will I have time to "await a change in heart"?

You'll get the time.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Harrow posted:

The MC and the teacher name themselvse after Maya and Tatsuya from P2 when they play the MMO

I wish Maya was datable, but you cant date yourself. And those games dont have that system. Ive said it a few times but a person who has the sort of outlook on life who makes something like "Lets Positive Thinking!" thier life motto is my type.

Meme Emulator fucked around with this message at 21:48 on Apr 12, 2017

Lotus Aura
Aug 16, 2009

KNEEL BEFORE THE WICKED KING!
The English version of the MMO is a Persona 2 reference, yeah. That's a localisation quirk because it's referencing the actual novel that predates all the games, and so also the first 2 MegaTen games period. The MMO is titled Devil Busters Online (referring to Megami Tensei II), and the handles for the MC and teacher are N-jima and Y-ko respectively referring to Akemi Nakajima and Yumiko Shirasagi, the two leads of the novels and Megami Tensei I.

Alder
Sep 24, 2013

TYH edition in stock: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01GKHJPAC?th=1

welp, I already bought it digitally so yeah.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011

Zore posted:

I was happy when I heard the ramen shop theme from persona 2 in the Goodfather.

Supremezero
Apr 28, 2013

hay gurl

theblackw0lf posted:

Once you can hang out with her, make sure if Makoto invites you to the movies you say yes.

Wait, why? What happens?

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Meme Emulator posted:

I wish Maya was datable, but you cant date yourself. And those games dont have that system. Ive said it a few times but a person who has the sort of outlook on life who makes something like "Lets Positive Thinking!" thier life motto is my type.

iirc you actually can decide in innocent sin whether you want tatsuya to be in love with her, lisa, or jun (!!!) but it doesn't really do anything significant

Hunt11
Jul 24, 2013

Grimey Drawer

Supremezero posted:

Wait, why? What happens?

She claims that she wants to watch a movie by her favorite director but in reality she just wants a friend to go watch a Yakuza movie with.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters
On the topic of dateable girls I will say that Haru is a very Arsene choice.

I've got a criminal record ruining my job prospects? Not if I charm a wealthy heiress motherfuckersssss

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

Zore posted:

There's a TV show about Yukari in November as well

Baku
Aug 20, 2005

by Fluffdaddy

Captain Oblivious posted:

I've got a criminal record ruining my job prospects? Not if I charm a wealthy heiress motherfuckersssss

The most Arsene choice is dating every girl, which is what I'm doing in NG+.

Marogareh
Feb 23, 2011
I remember seeing Namatame's name dropped late in the game that cleaned up his act and turned out to be a decent politician.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Captain Oblivious posted:

Ryuji started doing a Lupin III hand grab when he was looking at Ann in the bikini, and I guess she got the ref too because she just started play hitting him. This doesnt relate to what you said at all im just stream of conciousness posting.

8-Bit Scholar
Jan 23, 2016

by FactsAreUseless

Endorph posted:

list of bad jokes in persona 4:
the entire 'drunk off the atmosphere' sequence (minus rise's drunk voice, which is hilarious)

Look at this bad opinion right here

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Mods No Masters
Oct 3, 2004

I think Ann was also supposed to be talking about Fujiko Mine when she starts going on about some anime character who inspired her or whatever, in her social link??